• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AT&T vs. Verizon

The Mechanic

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2006
San Diego County Ca.
I have been with AT&T for many years. I was going to get a Thunderbolt but have heard the service with Verizon is bad and they want to charge you a bunch for little stuff making it much more expensive. Problem is AT&T has crap phones except for the iPhone but I really would like to have the android OS. AT&T has also stopped the unlimited data.
So what do you guys think

Re: AT&T vs. Verizon

Been with Verizon for 12 years or so. Service is outstanding and I rarely have signal problems.

As to problems with my account, accessories, new shit, broken shit, lost shit, etc., My brother in law is a store manager so as I said above; Service is outstanding!
laugh.gif

I've been with Verizon for years and wouldn't switch to AT&T if it was half the cost. Having made several road trips with guys who had AT&T, their network is seriously lacking in comparison. I've had a very few problems with Verizon and they have always bent over backward to make sure I was taken care of.

Ive found that both their service and coverage is excellent.

Verizon sucks donkey dick (I have it). Call quality isnt as good as ATT because its cdma (sort of an analog) ATT is gsm (digital) so its clearer. That being said, I dont know if you can get good reception with either. I like the android os, I have an incredible, and its a lot of phone. Best thing with verizon, you can have it for <30days and if you dont like, you can get a refund.

It comes down to your area; I went to school in South Dakota and my AT&T phone had literally no coverage in most of the state.

Now I'm back in Washington and the coverage between AT&T and Verizon here is about equal; with AT&T being slightly better (I currently have a Verizon phone).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Verizon sucks donkey dick (I have it). Call quality isnt as good as ATT because its cdma (sort of an analog) ATT is gsm (digital) so its clearer. That being said, I dont know if you can get good reception with either. I like the android os, I have an incredible, and its a lot of phone. Best thing with verizon, you can have it for <30days and if you dont like, you can get a refund.</div></div>
I was just reading that it is now GSM. That is a bit odd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been with AT&T for many years. I was going to get a Thunderbolt but have heard the service with Verizon is bad and they want to charge you a bunch for little stuff making it much more expensive. Problem is AT&T has crap phones except for the iPhone but I really would like to have the android OS. AT&T has also stopped the unlimited data.
So what do you guys think </div></div>

When did AT@T stop the unlimited data plan ?

I think it all depends on where your at. Around here where I live there isn't very much Verizon signal. I think AT&T's unlimited data plan was removed when the iPhone 4's came out. I still have mine because it's grandfathered in on my plan. If I were to ever change plans then I would have to go with the new data plan. So I'm not going to ever change plans. I have 3 iPhones on my account with unlimited data. Paying for the dumb X amount of data for $15 a month would kill me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooper_257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all cell company's suck </div></div>
And to that I'll add,...If the general public knew how much waste an out right fraud, there was in cell phone company's they would revolt. However because the shell game is ran per the requests of 12-14 year old's, an soccer moms, the hush/slush money rolls on.

Look deep into where the bulk of the profits go, trust me you won't like it one bit. Always,... Always,... follow the money.

I was with Verizon from 2002 up until this February. On the whole they have great coverage. Where I live now though they have poor coverage. With each new Blackberry, Droid, and Droid 2 I got the coverage got worse for some reason. Network extender didn't even help.

Ended up switching to T-mobile which is cheap and covers my house but the coverage is definitely more limited.

I think alot has to do with where your located and I can say with absolute certainty that I have MUCH better coverage with verizon then I had with att. I recently made the switch to verizon and got the new thunderbolt and had the iphone 3gs for 2 years prior. I do like the phone, just taking a bit getting used to compared to the apple os

verizon is serious about their business& their people take pride in what they do.Their cell huts are immaculate ,,,not even little pieces off wire on the floor.BUT,,After the deal w/T-Mobile goes thru AT&T will roll out 4G & they will rule,but @ this point Verizon's network is better.Cell sites communicate with each other using T1's(really DS1's)Hardly any cell sites handoff using microwave.Most people don't know that w/o landline DS1's cellphones won't work.So,the number of towers + the number of DS1's makes the network superior.Around the S/E USA it is a very tight race but AT&T has decided to really dump money into winning it.

Both companies are good and bad. The company I work for uses both AT&T for the east coast operation and Verizon for everything else. When the East coast people come here they are not happy at all. Travel just a little bit off of I94 and you might as well be in 1980. It is a little better now since AT&T purchased the local Alltel contract but still not that great.

AT&T does not have unlimited data any more. From what I have heard is that if you have an older iPhone they will let you have it but any droid or any other phone they only have stepped data plans. I am thinking maybe I will pay a little extra and drop the phone from a 2 year contract to a 1 year. That way if I don't like it I can skip out and do a month to month.
On a forum for droid it was stated that verizon will be dropping unlimited data also on NEW plans only. Hmmm this is not getting easy.

I was recently forced to switch to AT&T (alltel user) I was the worst service I have ever had both customer and phone wise. I switched to Verizon and not only was it cheaper for me but customer service and all around phone service was better. Even after switching I still received bills from AT&T for 3 months afterword because again their service sucks and they never got things right. I do not know if it was my area or what but Verizon wins hands down in my book.

I went from AT&T to Verizon about a year ago. If you get a military discount AT&T prices are much better (especially if you have a family plan). Also, I stream pandora radio on my droid nearly all day every day. I browse the internet a lot as well, yet, I still come in less than than AT&Ts limited plans.

Alltel was the best I had, which has included, pac-bel, cingular, cellualar one, att (before they went cingular), alltel, and verizon (again).

Did not hear that verizon is now gsm, (or are going that way) that means all the current verizon phones, are not gonna work, after the switch. Mechanic, do you have a link to this info? I would be interested in reading it.

I carry 2 phones,company and personal. one Verizon and one AT&T.

I cover about 8 states working and over-all AT&T is better! My personal phone is Verizon and think I will keep it that way just for the simple fact that one of the two will almost always work!

AT&T is the over-all best though! Or atleast in the 8 states i cover!

Verizon is still CDMA

I have been happy with Verizon's coverage, after having to switch from AT&T because of their lack of coverage after I moved. I have had hell with my Motorola Droid and had some problems with their customer service in two local stores. My wife who also switched from AT&T had problems with two droid phones and just went back to an Iphone (phone we both had on AT&T). I will also get an Iphone when this droid contract is up.

The thunderbolt uses both CDMA and GSM. All of Verizon's phones use CDMA for voice, everything coming out that will be 4G will use GSM for data. You will probably start to see both voice and data via sim cards in about two years. I performed some speed tests using the mobile hotspot on my thunderbolt and got speeds about 12-14Mbps.

I had an iPhone 3GS with AT&T - this after being with Sprint (4G my ass) and am now with Verizon. Verizon is hands down the best out of the three where I am and travel to regularly.

AT&T charged me so much for their service with the iPhone and I got so used to shitty service and dropped calls that when I switch to Verizon I was amazed at much better it was and subsequently very pissed off at AT&T. I felt robbed.

When I first came over to Verizon, I had the moto-droid, switched to the Incredible and then switched back to my old moto-droid because the battery life on the Incredible was horrible and it had a bunch of preloaded shit on it. Neither have battery life on par with the iPhone - not even close.

Now that Verizon has the iPhone, I'll get that someday and be set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNTt321</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thunderbolt uses both CDMA and GSM. All of Verizon's phones use CDMA for voice, everything coming out that will be 4G will use GSM for data. You will probably start to see both voice and data via sim cards in about two years. I performed some speed tests using the mobile hotspot on my thunderbolt and got speeds about 12-14Mbps.</div></div>
How do you like the Thunderbolt? I heard it has issues with battery life. Also do you think a person who has no computer skills, and never had a smart phone before could use it? (my wife.)

I have been with AT&T for 15yrs, when my contract is up I'm switching, to what service IDK, but looked into Sprint and can get more minutes and 4g on 3 EVO's and my bill will down 90 bucks a month, in my AO Sprint works, at my house there 4g does not work but 3g does, at Dallas Love Field 4g works, so I'm leaning hard towards Sprint, I have not looked into Verizon but will when the time gets closer I will.

Living in a metropolitan area like SD I'm sure you would have great coverage from any major carrier. The things to consider are how much traveling you do outside of your home area. I live in a rural area and Verizon is the only company that has good coverage around here. If you travel to an area frequently and wish to have coverage I would check coverage for that area. If travel coverage is not of a concern then I would go with the carrier that has the equipment and plan/pricing you are happy with.

I have had Verizon dating all the way back to when it was US West Cellular (20 years) and have had very few problems and those that I did have were always taken care of. Part of my FD duties are communications and I deal with several companies and manufacturers. One of the guys I deal with is the AT&T tech for this area (Northern Arizona). In our last conversation he stated that they were going to be upgrading cell tower systems in the area and many others outside of the major market areas, for what that's worth.

Both companies have pretty poor service in my area. Verizon is a little better and have better equipment choices but Verizon doesn't have service at my house. I don't have a land line so I had to switch to AT&T. I still have to stand on my tip toes on the corner of my porch with my left arm in the air and talk on speaker phone to get it to work.

My choice is verizon too. I've been with them going on 10 yrs, and they have always taken care of me when problems came up with phones/plans, etc. If you have a problem, and whoever you talk to in customer service won't fix it, call back again and get someone else. If it's not about something completely unreasonable, someone will be able to do something to help you out. I do have a couple clients that say ATT is better coverage wise over seas though. If you travel a lot, it might be worth looking into. I hardly ever do, so my choice is easy.

Verizon is the best for me. AT&T customer service sucks. When you are under contract they want to treat you like crap when talking to c.s. When your contract is up butter will not melt in their mouth. They will tell a bunch of lies also. Verizon in my area has the Best Service and Customer Service.

Years ago, my girlfriend (now wife) and I were getting crappy signals with AT&T, so we switched to Cingular. Canceled AT&T after the 2-year agreement was over, and paid off the remaining month's balance. About a month later (after switching to Cingular), we get an AT&T bill for the previous months' service. We called up AT&T and informed them that we had canceled service the month prior and had paid the balance. No problems, say they. The next month, we get a bill for the previous month + a months' service past due. Call AT&T AGAIN and tell them that we straightened this out the previous month. They say no problems, their mistake, won't happen again. The next month, we get a bill for the previous month's service + 2 months' past due bill. We called AT&T and got the same thing, that they're straightening it out and don't worry about it. Two months after that, all of a sudden we have calls and letters coming from 2 different creditors saying we owe something like $500 to AT&T. We canceled service and had to fight AT&T for <span style="font-weight: bold">6 months</span> to get their f*ckin' billing straight.

A few years later, AT&T and Cingular merge (well shit). Surprise surprise, the next month we have charges on our bill for services we didn't subscribe to. We get those removed, but it's our fault for not contacting our company and telling them we didn't want them to add services to our contract (WTF,srsly?!).

The next month, we get a bill that's twice what we normally pay, because I had been using the internet on my phone even though I have the feature locked. I explained that to them, and they removed the charges. I told them to go on and disable that service for my phone, since I didn't use it anyway and didn't want to be charged in error again. Well, the next month it happened again for almost the same amount. After 3 hours on the phone with 'customer service' I had the charges removed. They were trying to say that since they'd already removed charges like that once, they wouldn't do it again. I said f*ck you, I didn't use the service, it was supposed to be canceled on your end, and I'm not gonna pay it (slightly nicer than that the first few times I had to tell them).

After that contract ran out, we switched to Verizon. I haven't had a problem with anything since then, except the audio jack on my wife's Droid crapping out one day before the warranty expired. The next day, we have a new phone delivered right to our door. I have a better signal, a clearer bill, better customer service, and I couldn't be happier with Verizon.

If Verizon doesn't have great coverage in your area, I strongly urge you to go with ANYTHING except f*ckin' AT&T.

Also, this:

One thing to consider is 4G speed is great but the battery life is garbage.

I'm currently rebidding my company's cell service and have had presentations from Sprint-AT&T-Verizon.

I will say that Verizon gave a good pitch. They spend a lot of time and money on their Network coverage which explains why most people have positive experiences even in rural areas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Years ago, my girlfriend (now wife) and I were getting crappy signals with AT&T, so we switched to Cingular. Canceled AT&T after the 2-year agreement was over, and paid off the remaining month's balance. About a month later (after switching to Cingular), we get an AT&T bill for the previous months' service. We called up AT&T and informed them that we had canceled service the month prior and had paid the balance. No problems, say they. The next month, we get a bill for the previous month + a months' service past due. Call AT&T AGAIN and tell them that we straightened this out the previous month. They say no problems, their mistake, won't happen again. The next month, we get a bill for the previous month's service + 2 months' past due bill. We called AT&T and got the same thing, that they're straightening it out and don't worry about it. Two months after that, all of a sudden we have calls and letters coming from 2 different creditors saying we owe something like $500 to AT&T. We canceled service and had to fight AT&T for <span style="font-weight: bold">6 months</span> to get their f*ckin' billing straight.

A few years later, AT&T and Cingular merge (well shit). Surprise surprise, the next month we have charges on our bill for services we didn't subscribe to. We get those removed, but it's our fault for not contacting our company and telling them we didn't want them to add services to our contract (WTF,srsly?!).

The next month, we get a bill that's twice what we normally pay, because I had been using the internet on my phone even though I have the feature locked. I explained that to them, and they removed the charges. I told them to go on and disable that service for my phone, since I didn't use it anyway and didn't want to be charged in error again. Well, the next month it happened again for almost the same amount. After 3 hours on the phone with 'customer service' I had the charges removed. They were trying to say that since they'd already removed charges like that once, they wouldn't do it again. I said f*ck you, I didn't use the service, it was supposed to be canceled on your end, and I'm not gonna pay it (slightly nicer than that the first few times I had to tell them).

After that contract ran out, we switched to Verizon. I haven't had a problem with anything since then, except the audio jack on my wife's Droid crapping out one day before the warranty expired. The next day, we have a new phone delivered right to our door. I have a better signal, a clearer bill, better customer service, and I couldn't be happier with Verizon.

If Verizon doesn't have great coverage in your area, I strongly urge you to go with ANYTHING except f*ckin' AT&T.

Also, this:
</div></div>+1 on this. This is basically the same bullshit We went through with AT&T. You can say one thing positive for them, They are a bunch of Liars,and good at it too...

Just got off the phone with my wife in regard to our cell phone bill. My wife noticed we were going to be over our normal minutes this month and was looking to change the calling plan. When the Verizon rep got on the line with her and she explained to him what she wanted to do and why he said he would just give us 250 minutes to cover the over and we wouldn't have to change the plan. We normally aren't close to going over but I added my mom to our plan and she did quite a bit of traveling last month and used her phone more.

That's a big +1 for Verizon in my book!!!

I love the thunderbolt but it definitely is a battery sucker, a lot of users aren't making it a full day without having to charge it. I'm not on my phone too much and can maybe make the battery last a full day, about every other day. The other issue is that it drops the data connection sometimes and it needs to be reset but this doesn't occur too frequently. If she isn't too good with computers then it will be more of a challenge but I see similar people that get to where they love their phone. Verizon puts on PDA workshops for beginners, that is a great way to learn, check out www.verizonwireless.com/workshops if she decides to get one. In my opinion, I believe that iPhones are great for beginner-intermediate smartphone users and droids are better for the intermediate-advanced. Also, check out androidcentral.com for anything android related.

Both have their pro's and cons, but after 6 years with AT&T I'm switching to Verizon. Me and my friend have shared a plan for awhile, but now that hes stationed in El Paso we keep getting hit with BS international charges..

I think its kinda odd to think I pay ~60 a month for a phone i might use once/twice a day.

Honestly, I wish there was a phone company that didnt fist its consumers with a sandpaper glove when it came to service costs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think its kinda odd to think I pay ~60 a month for a phone i might use once/twice a day.

Honestly, I wish there was a phone company that didnt fist its consumers with a sandpaper glove when it came to service costs.</div></div>
All a matter of supply and demand. Think I am going to bite the bullet and get one on a 1 year contract. It is $350 early termination on each phone so at least I will only be locked in for a year.