• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Argos gen 2 vs Vortex diamondback tactical

Mudflap621

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2020
So these two scopes are on my radar for a T1x build to try out some nrl22 matches locally and looking for reviews from some users as well as possibly some other options to look at. I need to keep it under 550msrp to stay in base class. It seems like these are two popular options and just trying to gauge pros and cons. Thanks for any help

I have not used the DB tactical, but I do own a Gen 2 Argos [ MOA 6-24x50]

For the price tag it's a nice scope
Decent glass, especially <50yds. Not great, but decent
Turrets are good, audible, crisp clicks
Side focus ring is very good, precise and accurate yardages
Zoom focus ring is very rigid. It works fine but it's not butter
Eye relief is short
Eye box is tight, especially at higher magnification.
Bonus : comes with flip caps, and most vendors will send "free" sunshade.

All in all for the price-point I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as long as you know it's not the end-all and be-all scope.
t1xjuly.png

I wasn't all that impressed with the Diamondback Tactical 6-24 that I had briefly, on high power the image quality wasn't that great so I returned it, now I do like my 4-16 version, it's a good scope for the money.

However, the Athlon would be worth it for the zero stop alone for me. The DBT turrets have a weird 6 mil per rev turret with no revolution indicator nor a zero stop. If it had just one of those things it'd be fine for a casual match but without it's a no go in my book.

Thanks Mike I’ll look into this as well that Had not been on my radar.
Anyone running a fixed magnification scope for these matches seems can find better quality for cheaper.

I ran a fixed 10X SWFA for a few local precision rimfire matches when they started having them several years ago. It worked fine when the distances were shorter but as they started to consistently step them out to 200+ yards, I wanted more magnification. The fixed 12X SWFA might be ok but that's as high as I would go in the configuration. Any higher than that wouldn't be worth it in my opinion as you'd probably spend a lot of time trying to hunt down targets in your field of view before you timed out.

Honestly I would look at the Bushnell if you are trying to stay in base class. I have owned both Vortex and Athlon and sold both. The 5 mil per rev turrets we’re a real deal breaker for me. The Bushnell has 10 mil per rev locking turrets and a real zero stop which neither the Vortex or Athlon have.

Honestly I would look at the Bushnell if you are trying to stay in base class. I have owned both Vortex and Athlon and sold both. The 5 mil per rev turrets we’re a real deal breaker for me. The Bushnell has 10 mil per rev locking turrets and a real zero stop which neither the Vortex or Athlon have.

Gen 1 Argos didn't have a proper zero stop, Gen 2 does

Reactions: JKW70
Gen 1 Argos didn't have a proper zero stop, Gen 2 does

Personally I could care less about a zero stop. I don’t use them on a rimfire. I have a 40 moa rails on my rimfire rifles and only a few mils under 0 do it isn’t necessary. The 10 mil per rev turrets and at least a locking windage turret is what makes the Bushnell so much more appealing to me. 5 mil per rev turrets in a rimfire scope are a deal breaker for me personally when I’m dialing 15-18 mils frequently.

I don't have a DB tactical but every vortex scope I have had or shot thorough (excluding a PST2 and razor)
Got dark near the max magnification.
I did have an athlon argos gen2 10-50 and the first one wouldn't focus and the one they sent me in return was blurry
On everything except 10x.
I vote bushnell also.

Personally I could care less about a zero stop. I don’t use them on a rimfire. I have a 40 moa rails on my rimfire rifles and only a few mils under 0 do it isn’t necessary. The 10 mil per rev turrets and at least a locking windage turret is what makes the Bushnell so much more appealing to me. 5 mil per rev turrets in a rimfire scope are a deal breaker for me personally when I’m dialing 15-18 mils frequently.
Fair enough, I don't compete yet so I don't care about a zero-stop at this point either, and can't speak to their utility when competing. Sounds like you've got a winner with the Bushnell!

My experience with the Athlon Argos Btr . I bought a gen 1 to go on a 22 competition rifle the parallax went bonkers so I sent it back . they sent me a new one . it worked for a bit then lost zero and no amount of adjusting could get it back , I sent it back and they sent me a new gen2 Argos btr 6x24x50 . the turrets are better , it has a zero stop which I like and seems to be functioning ok for now . would I buy another ? hell No. for pretty well close to the same money I would defiantly look at the Bushnell match pro . just my 2 cents

Dumb question but I'm really short on sleep. Does that new bushnell only work for .22 or can it handle bigger calibers?

Dumb question but I'm really short on sleep. Does that new bushnell only work for .22 or can it handle bigger calibers?

From my understanding it was designed to be a scope with all the features you want on a competition optic but still fit within NRL22 base class. Personally I have never used one but I have heard good things about the optic from people I trust. I also know guys who are using these on larger centerfire rifles with no problems. I would say it will be at least as robust as the two other optics mentioned in this thread.

The biggest issue I have with the two other optics is the 5 mil per rev turrets. I REALLY don’t care for 5 mil per rev turrets on a rimfire. When you start shooting beyond 150 yards Spinning that turrets 2-3 times is a real pain and makes it really easy to get lost on the clock.

Reactions: sparky702 and ZF-1
Thanks you guys bringing up some great points and leaning towards the bushy now.

Another vote for Match Pro. I've been running one since last fall on my NRL22 rig, and I am really happy with it. As others have said, 10MIL turrets are huge on a rimfire LR optic.

Sorry should have specified that, yes the Bushnell does not. And I don’t think the Vortex does either.

I’ve got 2 of the Gen 1 Argos with home made zero stops. They are pretty consist. I haven’t had to rezero either in 3 years on my buggy guns that take a beating. I’ve had worse luck out of Vortex then any of them