• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12?

wcoats

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2020
Apex NC
Has anyone tried out the Helos BTR Gen 2, especially the 2-12 x42 version? I really like that it’s only 11.8” long, light weight and the reticle. The reticle looks like Athlon’s version on Bushnell’s donut of death on their LRHS scopes which I really like. I also like the 10 mil per rotation locking turrets and a ton of elevation adjustment.

I’m thinking it would be a great scope at a fairly low price point for an AR or for a cross over hunting rifle for someone that wants a FFP MRAD scope on a hunting rifle. I know the glass quality isn’t going to be high end but wondering how good the eye box and field of view are. Has anyone tried one out yet?

I don't know that they are released yet but the can't be too far away.
Cameraland had them listed on their website and shows them still on back order.

I too am keen on this 2-12 scope, if the glass is ok it ticks a lot of boxes for a hunting scope.

The 4-20 is also interesting. Makes me wonder: Midas Tac or Helos BTR Gen2?

The
Product Description | Camera Land NY

Product Description | Camera Land NY
cameralandny.com
cameralandny.com
Have arrived at Athlon, are going through QC and will ship to us next week :)

This reticle is sweet, but a 0.3mil dot @ 100y is a lil heavy. With the donut of death, it makes short range shots easy, they could have went with a 0.15mil dot and given a guy more precise aim at longer distance. Shooting at a critter @ 600y that dot will cover a 1/3 or more of the shoulder on a deer.
I'm thinking their intention is to use the holdovers in the tree for extended range hits. Even at this price point, if you use the tree exclusively and only use the turrets for initial zero the scope should prove accurate providing the reticle is laid out properly. Totally removes any mechanical failure from dialing on each shot.

thread bump...
Anyone have some time behind one yet?

Been 4 months. Any Hide member reviews?
Also, does anyone know if the AHMR2 MOA is a true BDC reticle?
Wanting to put this on a LR-308 built specifically for inside 700 yds

I have the 2-12 on a 16” Grendel and the 4-20 on my T1x 17. They are great $500 scopes.

both clearer than a strike Eagle 5-25 I had previously on the 17. Turrets lock and feel about the same as the strike Eagle. 4-20 turrets are more tactile than the 2-12. The 2-12 is really compact and light. Parallax is accurate and day light bright illumination on both.

Killed a groundhog today with the 17 and 4-20. It’s a keeper. Need some more time behind the 2-12 to form a full opinion.

I’ve seen it on some other forums. If I ever get around to building a hunting rifle (despite the fact I’ve only got a 1/2 dozen in the safe now), that’s most likely what will get set on top of it, if they prove they’ll hold up.

That scope is proof the chicoms are listening in on my conversations......

I just got a 2-12x. I put it on an 18" AR upper for the moment. First, I certainly wouldn't call it "lightweight".

It passes my first scope test. That is if a begging junkie won't leave you alone at a traffic signal, can you strike them off your vehicle with the scope and it still function. This thing is heavy and seems well built, which I normally wouldn't say for something marked "made in China". I think the 1-10x Ares ETR (?, the >$ model) is heavier.

I have an unmounted SWFA 3-15x42 without illumination and I think the 2-12 Athlon feels heavier. I'll have to be all scientific and weigh them some day.

I like the reticle, easy to holdover since mine is all mils.

I have an unmounted SWFA 3-15x42 without illumination and I think the 2-12 Athlon feels heavier. I'll have to be all scientific and weigh them some day.
Manufacturer's specs show 24oz for the SWFA 3-15 and 25.4oz for the Athlon 2-12, so your intuition sounds right.

I've got an Athlon on my 260 R700 as a short to mid range deer (inside 700 m) rifle and I rate it.
The reticle is awesome close up - at 2x out to 70m or so the illuminated section is the splodge of death. You just put the red part on the front part and deer fall over.
The glass is good enough, the adjustments track and match the reticle - if it wasn't made in China I'd be really happy.
For the money I don't think they can be beat.

I've got an Athlon on my 260 R700 as a short to mid range deer (inside 700 m) rifle and I rate it.
The reticle is awesome close up - at 2x out to 70m or so the illuminated section is the splodge of death. You just put the red part on the front part and deer fall over.
The glass is good enough, the adjustments track and match the reticle - if it wasn't made in China I'd be really happy.
For the money I don't think they can be beat.
I am right there with you RPN. Glass is surprisingly good for the price, FOV is outstanding, edge to edge sharpness better than I thought it would be. My only complaint is that it's made in China, other than that, it's an impressive scope.

My only complaint is that it's made in China, other than that, it's an impressive scope.
Exactly. I'll never understand how a communist country became a manufacturing giant when we have all these non-communist countries around us like Mexico, South America, and all of Central America, excluding those damn Nicaraguans, lol.

Seriously though, a friend's brother was working out of Puerto Rico at some point because they were making contact lenses over there. C'mon man! It's almost like roads and rail lines to our country is a bad idea.

Exactly. I'll never understand how a communist country became a manufacturing giant when we have all these non-communist countries around us like Mexico, South America, and all of Central America, excluding those damn Nicaraguans, lol.

Seriously though, a friend's brother was working out of Puerto Rico at some point because they were making contact lenses over there. C'mon man! It's almost like roads and rail lines to our country is a bad idea.
Makes you think there was a plan and a purpose behind that doesn't it...

It’s a great scope. It is heavy but has reliable tracking and so far has survived my drop test.
I’m sure it’ll sell well and then maybe someone will get LOW to make a 2-12 with even better glass. The market has way too many 5-25 but no good “SPR” scopes beside the old NF 2.5-10 and some of the March offerings which are also expensive.

Speaking of weight, I had too many bad experience with light weight scopes (vortex PST 2.5-10x32, Razor LHT HD 3-15x42, Leupold VXR CDS 3-9, etc) that now I just accept the extra weight as long as it tracks perfectly and will keep its zero after being banged around in a case or on an ATV or simply if it falls to the ground from being held against the wall. I’ll take the extra 5oz as long as it doesn’t screw up the balance of the rifle. I do think for a lightweight 556 gasser, the vudu 1-10 would be a better choice than the Helos 2-12 but it’s obviously not the same budget.

Reactions: Bravo6
…then maybe someone will get LOW to make a 2-12 with even better glass. The market has way too many 5-25 but no good “SPR” scopes beside the old NF 2.5-10 and some of the March offerings which are also expensive.
I’m thinking Bushnell revitalizing the LRTSi line with a 2-12 would be nice, maybe a Vortex PST III?

I'm going to take advantage of the cameraland sale. But I would be all over a viper pst III with a locking or capped windage turret.

I considered it, but decided against it. the aiming point on the mil/mil model covers more than an inch at 100 yards, hard to do anything one would consider precision shooting with an aiming point that large..
It checked all the other boxes I was interested in, with theexception of the country of origin.
I'm a realist though and know that most of the budget optics are Chinesium, Athlon seems to do a very good job with their Chinese scopes, better than Vortex.
I ended up going with the 2.5-15 Midas HMR, it's not perfect, but it meets or exceeds my expectations.

I considered it, but decided against it. the aiming point on the mil/mil model covers more than an inch at 100 yards, hard to do anything one would consider precision shooting with an aiming point that large..
It checked all the other boxes I was interested in, with theexception of the country of origin.
I'm a realist though and know that most of the budget optics are Chinesium, Athlon seems to do a very good job with their Chinese scopes, better than Vortex.
I ended up going with the 2.5-15 Midas HMR, it's not perfect, but it meets or exceeds my expectations.

This was my experience as well. The Helos 2-12 is a great point and shoot reticle on steel or large game, but dot is too big for any real precision work or varmints.

Also agree that Athlon’s Chinese scopes are better than others. wish they’d figure out the Cronus turrets…

Reactions: Bravo6 and st1650
This was my experience as well. The Helos 2-12 is a great point and shoot reticle on steel or large game, but dot is too big for any real precision work or varmints.

Also agree that Athlon’s Chinese scopes are better than others. wish they’d figure out the Cronus turrets…
I have a gen 2 chronus. Turrets seem very solid, adjustment is very crisp and tactile

It’s doable. I was ringing a 12in plate at 450y with my 300blk subsonic SBR and I was about 8/10 but yeah the dot was covering a lot of the target. Still would be fine for deer or even coyotes at 100-150 yards.

I was thinking it would make a good scope on my 22-250, for shooting coyotes. I kill most of my coyotes within 100 yards, but there is an occasional 300-400 yard shot.

The 1 mil down cross on the reticle makes a great aiming point.
If I'm shooting at deer then the dot is fine, and if it is something smaller then I dial 1 mil less than required, and use the cross on the reticle.
Sounds much more complicated than it is.

The 1 mil down cross on the reticle makes a great aiming point.
If I'm shooting at deer then the dot is fine, and if it is something smaller then I dial 1 mil less than required, and use the cross on the reticle.
Sounds much more complicated than it is.
Or, put a proper aiming point in the scope.

You are missing the entire point of the scope.

What other FFP scope has over 55' FoV and a center dot that covers less. Oh, and reticle needs to be usable at 2x.

Reactions: st1650
You are missing the entire point of the scope.

What other FFP scope has over 55' FoV and a center dot that covers less. Oh, and reticle needs to be usable at 2x.
I am not missing the point of the scope, they advertise it as a DMR scope. I also wouldn't trust their FOV numbers, the have the wrong numbers on other scopes.
By definition, a DMR scope requires some level of precision, as I stated, it checked all of the boxes except two, country of origin and the aiming point.
I dial for distance.
You don't need FFP for a low or mid powered variable. If your intent is to mil something or range it, you're going to do it at 12 x anyway.
For some reason, you seem to be emotionally invested in the scope.
If it works for you, awesome. It wouldn't work for me.
Contrary to your belief, I can have my own opinion and it doesn't have to match yours.
I bought an Athlon chinese made scope, the Midas HMR 2.5-15x.

Reactions: bobke
For the money I like the scope. No its not a precision reticle and I hope no one is actually using this as a precision scope lol. It was awesome on one of my 22's and sits on an SPR-ish rifle now, where it excels. 300yds on a 8" plate was no problem. I haven't done it, but I feel like 400-500yd would be fine with a little practice/adjustment. 400+ in my opinion is already more than this scope was ever intended to do.

I am not missing the point of the scope, they advertise it as a DMR scope. I also wouldn't trust their FOV numbers, the have the wrong numbers on other scopes.
By definition, a DMR scope requires some level of precision, as I stated, it checked all of the boxes except two, country of origin and the aiming point.
I dial for distance.
You don't need FFP for a low or mid powered variable. If your intent is to mil something or range it, you're going to do it at 12 x anyway.
Contrary to your belief, I can have my own opinion and it doesn't have to match yours.
Mine stays on a dedicated subsonic gun so actually I do benefit from FFP at mid mag in low light with the extra FOV but I do understand I’m probably in the minority. Even then, if I was using it with supersonic 110gr Barnes at 2300fps and wanted to make a shot at 200-250 yards using holdovers but not full magnification, it would also be useful in that scenario.

I dial for distance.
You got super defensive for no reason. I'm not emotionally invested in anything. I was asking a question because if something else like it did exist, I'd like to try it out. Everyone wants a scope with a super wide field of view that doubles as a target scope.

You got super defensive for no reason. I'm not emotionally invested in anything. I was asking a question because if something else like it did exist, I'd like to try it out. Everyone wants a scope with a super wide field of view that doubles as a target scope.
Explaining something is super defensive?
A target scope does not have an aiming point that obscures more than 1 inch at 100 yards, they typically have finer reticles for precision work.
If the reticle works for you, awesome. They are a dandy little scope.
The HMR has a FOV of over 40 feet, I wish it was mil/mil and had the turrets of the 2-12.
The Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10 is well worth a look as well, it is also FFP, but uses a chevron as an aiming point so you can have a precise aiming point at the tip.
The only other scope that I found that actually met all my requirements was the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15, it is Japanese made, available in mil/mil and has a zero stop. It is significantly more expensive, though not terribly so, but it was out of my price range at the time. I may upgrade.

None of those fit what I was asking.

HMR is SFP
I considered GLx before I bought Helos but it has 40% less FoV.
Credo is SFP. The Tenmile 3-18 FFP seems damn decent and even has the same FoV as the 2.5-10 GLx.

The Helos is clearly a compromise scope favoring low mag usability over high mag target shooting. The dot covers 1.08" at 100 yards. Is that .08" the deal breaker or is an inch still too big? I'm just trying to understand what FFP 2x scope with a "proper aiming point" looks like.

None of those fit what I was asking.

HMR is SFP
I considered GLx before I bought Helos but it has 40% less FoV.
Credo is SFP. The Tenmile 3-18 FFP seems damn decent and even has the same FoV as the 2.5-10 GLx.

The Helos is clearly a compromise scope favoring low mag usability over high mag target shooting. The dot covers 1.08" at 100 yards. Is that .08" the deal breaker or is an inch still too big? I'm just trying to understand what FFP 2x scope with a "proper aiming point" looks like.
An inch is WAY too big for precise shooting, when you are trying to shoot 1/2 minute groups, anything over about .03 mil is too large, that is .03 not .3 like what this scope gives you.
Again, there is VERY little utility to a FFP scope with this low of a power range.
I understand the FOV.
Have you considered a 1-10?
You get all the field of view you could ask for, plus, high enough mag to engage targets at distance.
I am a FFP kida guy, but for this type of scope, I typically go SFP.
Are you okay with MOA/MOA, because, for some reason, their MOA scope has a crosshair (if memory serves).

I used to have the Athlon Helos BTR G2 2-12 on my AR10. Replaced it with a PA GLX 4-16x50 due to the reticle (the GLX has the ACSS Athena reticle with the chevron). Glass, turrets, etc were way better on the Helos but when shooting out at 500yd the reticle/dot was just too thick. I think for 0-300yd silhouette work it would've been perfect; dot is kind of large for hunting small game. I haven't tried any of PA's SLX/PLX stuff but from the GLX glass alone, I'd look elsewhere; Although they're bigger scopes, my Athlon Midas TAC and Arken EP5 are comparable in price to what I paid for the GLX and those scopes simply blow the PA out of the water. I had considered the Trijicon Tenmile, but my buddy has an older 1-8x Accupower and I'd put that above the PA GLX. Their new 1-8x PLX-Compact looks nice, though for the price I'd want to look through one first before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
An inch is WAY too big for precise shooting, when you are trying to shoot 1/2 minute groups, anything over about .03 mil is too large, that is .03 not .3 like what this scope gives you.
Again, there is VERY little utility to a FFP scope with this low of a power range.
I understand the FOV.
Have you considered a 1-10?
You get all the field of view you could ask for, plus, high enough mag to engage targets at distance.
I am a FFP kida guy, but for this type of scope, I typically go SFP.
Are you okay with MOA/MOA, because, for some reason, their MOA scope has a crosshair (if memory serves).

It makes you wonder how guys shooting iron sighted rifles in NRA comp ever manage to shoot small groups.

If you match the target to the reticle it is easy to shoot to the rifles capacity. I shoot a diamond with the inside of the box about .4 of a mil and it is easy to see if you are off.

It makes you wonder how guys shooting iron sighted rifles in NRA comp ever manage to shoot small groups.

If you match the target to the reticle it is easy to shoot to the rifles capacity. I shoot a diamond with the inside of the box about .4 of a mil and it is easy to see if you are off.
Yeah, that's why you see all those benchrest shooters using iron sights instead of fine cross hair or fine target dot scopes.

One of those 2-12’s will be on my next build. Been watching what folks say here and on other forums for a while now.

Or I may get the urge to upgrade the 6x SWFA on my AR!

I think we have established that this scope is better suited for hunting, rather than target shooting.

Thank you lol. Get this train back on the tracks.

OP, I'm a big fan of this scope for what it does well. Besides being made in China, I think its a great SPR/DMR/Hunting scope that is still useable at 2x and 12x. I felt the glass was very nice for the money I paid, and you have nice turret feel/clicks, locking turrets, zero stop, AND illumination.

OBVIOUSLY this is not a $1500 scope, but I think for the money its hard to find another competitor in this style of scope at this price with the features it has.

I have this scope and think it is very good. I also have the PA GlX 2.5-10, both are used on AR's as general purpose optics with an offset red dot for close up work.

For my purposes, I've found that I actually prefer the PA. The reason is that the PA reticle on 2.5 is much faster to get on target than the Helos at 2x, when doing timed drills, with the illumination OFF. I stress illumination OFF because both these scopes have weak illumination that is useless on a bright sunny day, although the Helos is actually noticeably better than the PA. With offhand shooting I have both eyes open anyway and have not found the FOV difference to matter so far.

Neither have reticles that are great for shooting groups on paper, and neither are made for that purpose. If you want to shoot groups on paper, you are obviously looking at the wrong class of scope. Having said that, with the PA you can dial 2mils high and get a precise aiming point (although the zero stop makes this impossible at short range), and personally I don't find a 1MOA dot a big hindrance to shooting groups, but I am not using these on a true precision rifle.

One thing I do love about the Helos is the parallax goes down to 10yds, nice for dryfire. I will say the illumination and parallax knobs are super stiff, and the overall fit of the PA feels higher quality, as you would expect it to.

I've said it before, but I really wish more companies would put out lightweight scopes in this magnification range!

Last edited:
Reactions: st1650 and RPN
I have target scopes, and this isn't one. What it is is a very good scope for someone who wants the benefit of ffp for long shots on mid sized targets and a usable reticle for close shots. Repeatable adjustments and good enough glass.
No, it isn't a March, but for the money they are pretty good.

Took mine out to the range for the first time yesterday for load development on my 5.56. I'd initially bought it as I thought it'd be fine for this and as a lighter hunting scope. How bad could the Mil dot be and had to be better than my 1-8x Burris, right? Nope. Completely covered the center of the target. I made it work but switching over to the Cronus2 on my bolt gun was an eye opener.

Overall I like the scope, like the locking turrets, easy to manipulate. Glass is sharp on center but there is image degradation towards the edges. Overall it's a keeper though and the illumination is daylight bright. The side focus is a very nice touch at this price range. Doesn't have an available hood that I could find however, nor does it ship with flip caps.