• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas bipod question

MTAR15

Twist'n Grips & Pack'n Dips
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 20, 2009
    Montana
    I recently picked up a new V8 Atlas, it's my first but won't be my last.

I have a question, the large knurled nut on the bottom between the legs won't budge. Is this normal? I've tried everything short of channel locks to turn it, but no luck. If it's supposed to be this way, I'd like to know so I can quit worrying about it.

Thanks

Re: Atlas bipod question

Nope. It is the equivalent of the pod lock for the atlas. Loose and the pan and tilt is loose. Tight and its locked in place. Mine was a bit tight at first but it is wearing in nicely with use. I would not apply channel locks. Can you pan and tilt the weapon when it's mounted ? I think if you work it a bit it will loosen up. I could be wrong though. It has happened once before.

Mine was the same way when I first got it and wore in nicely. It'll get better as you use it more. Just give it a little love to break it free and it'll be smooth sailing. Like west said, though, avoid channel locks/vice grips/pliers. It'll mar the finish.

Thanks, I will give it a bit more use. I've only had it out once so far.

Shoot a PM to Kasey or just give them a call. He's on here quite a bit and can certainly talk you through any possible issue you may have.

Like the others have said, mine were stiff when I first got them, but they loosened up after a bit of use and are just right now.

Careful not to strip it. I did and had to send it back to get fixed.

I gave it some exercise today and it's still locked tight as a drum. I'll try a few more trips out with it and see if it loosens up. It gives me a good excuse to shoot a bunch of rounds.

I thought something was wrong when i first got mine,it was the same way. I mounted it to my rifle,grabbed the bipod by the legs and kept rotating it through its full pan and tilt range for a few minutes. After that the knob broke loose and has been smooth ever since.

You are going to have to grab that bottom knob and MAKE IT TURN. It wont turn very far. Mine doesnt seem to rotate more than 3/4 of a turn from tight to loose and its really firm.

Now I'm starting to feel like a puss, tomorrow after my Wheaties I'm going to get it broke loose.

i got 2 bipods at the same time, one worked fine and the other one was extremely tight like yours, once I got it to break loose it seems to work fine. The nut would move and I just kept working it until it broke loose. Works fine now.

1. IF the Tension knob turns about 3/4 from lock-out to lock-out, it is functioning correctly and the socket just needs broke in by manipulating the pan/cant till smooth (should not take much at all to get this done).

2.If the knob does not turn then we failed to loosen it up and can be done by hand in the direction of the arrow.

We are suppose to "break" the knob loose before packing them up, sounds like I need to go over that again...

Do not use pliers on that knob, that it unless you want to get to know folks over at Atlas better - you WILL strip it.

The range of motion is about 3/4 turn and it is supposed to be tight. Turn in direction of arrow to tighten.

Received my BT10-NC today and the knob turns as described by Kasey, tight but 3/4 of a turn. This is a nice piece.

BTW, the BT12 mono-pod feels like it weighs the same as the bi-pod... built tough to take the hits.

Got pissed off and got it done. Thanks for all the help. I will sell all my other bipods and move 100% to Atlas.

Atlas bipod is going to be my next purchase. What's the difference between v8 and v7?

I will have 3 more on the way as soon as I can dump a few other bipods. The more I use my Atlas the more I love it. I just ordered a monopod for my T3 Tactical.