• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas bipod--sucks

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
That I waited this long to get one!

Like beating a dead horse on this one.

I'm impressed with the quality of this piece. I got the AI spigot version and plan to get a rail mount version later on with the Larue mount and the rail kit w/spigot.

A big thanks and hat off to the crew at Atlas for the help and advise on the order.

Thank you!

Mark

Re: Atlas bipod--sucks

what makes it so much better compared to what you had before?

Geez, don't do that to me

Here am I on week 6 of my 8-10 week wait and to see a topic like that got my heart going. At my age I can't afford excitement like that without real justification :)

personally if when you load your bipod with weight and it changes your poi every time like the atlas it's shit... If you put any weight into the the bi-pod your poa changes.. i don't see this as being useful... Just another product hyped up by the SH community HARRIS IS THE WAY TO GO. imo fu atlas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally if when you load your bipod with weight and it changes your poi every time like the atlas it's shit... If you put any weight into the the bi-pod your poa changes.. i don't see this as being useful... Just another product hyped up by the SH community HARRIS IS THE WAY TO GO. imo fu atlas. </div></div>

You obviously dont understand the concept of loading the bipod. If you think the Atlas is hype, you sir are a dumbass....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally if when you load your bipod with weight and it changes your poi every time like the atlas it's shit... If you put any weight into the the bi-pod your poa changes.. i don't see this as being useful... Just another product hyped up by the SH community HARRIS IS THE WAY TO GO. imo fu atlas. </div></div>

Hmmm....GTFO?

That is some funny s@*t right there.

well, what do you expect from a guy who only joined here to sell shit. Have you sold everything yet? can you find your way out? imo fu dub19k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally if when you load your bipod with weight and it changes your poi every time like the atlas it's shit... If you put any weight into the the bi-pod your poa changes.. i don't see this as being useful... Just another product hyped up by the SH community HARRIS IS THE WAY TO GO. imo fu atlas. </div></div>

Hmmm....GTFO?</div></div>

My thoughts exactly!

you cant fix stupid......
crazy.gif

Thats why competition is a good thing, not everybody is going to like the same thing. Take the Win 70 vs the Rem 700. Both are great actions both offer different advantages. Some people swear by the Winny's some wont look at anything but a Rem 700. I personally have both and love both. Same goes with the Atlas and Harris. I say buy what you like since your the one paying the bill, who cares what anyone else thinks unless they want to pay for it for you. Both are great bipods, thats why this country is great we can buy what we want and it keeps the vendor on their toes trying to compete and make better products, which in the end benfits the consumer. Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally if when you load your bipod with weight and it changes your poi every time like the atlas it's shit... If you put any weight into the the bi-pod your poa changes.. i don't see this as being useful... Just another product hyped up by the SH community HARRIS IS THE WAY TO GO. imo fu atlas.</div></div>
Go punch your mom in the face and chokehold your sister while your doin her next time.....

Dont feed the trolls --

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally if when you load your bipod with weight and it changes your poi every time like the atlas it's shit... If you put any weight into the the bi-pod your poa changes.. i don't see this as being useful... Just another product hyped up by the SH community HARRIS IS THE WAY TO GO. imo fu atlas. </div></div>

Dont feed the trolls -- </div></div>

Very well said, "Dont feed the trolls"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm impressed with the quality of this piece. I got the AI spigot version and plan to get a rail mount version later on with the Larue mount and the rail kit w/spigot.
</div></div>
Check out the ADM rail adapter they sell them with. They're very nice for a QA/QD when riding multiple rifles, but I actually prefer the regular clamp version more when mounting to a rail. It keeps the center of gravity a touch lower and is one less thing to get snagged. Yes, I have both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally if when you load your bipod with weight and it changes your poi every time like the atlas it's shit... If you put any weight into the the bi-pod your poa changes.. i don't see this as being useful... Just another product hyped up by the SH community HARRIS IS THE WAY TO GO. imo fu atlas.</div></div>
Go punch your mom in the face and chokehold your sister while your doin her next time.....</div></div>

Easy...comments like that will get you a 3 day suspension for "attacking" another member. It happened to me this past week! LoL

Rofl. If you're POI is shifting because of loading your bipod, you must've welded it to the barrel....

You're a dumbass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guy2205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 more days and it will be 10 weeks,then there is 10 to 12 days for delivery .Can't wait anymore </div></div>

The wait can sure be painful... I found a place in OR that had 'em in stock. Got mine in three days. Got here last week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guy2205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 more days and it will be 10 weeks,then there is 10 to 12 days for delivery .Can't wait anymore </div></div>

The wait can sure be painful... I found a place in OR that had 'em in stock. Got mine in three days. Got here last week.</div></div>
don't make it more painful than what it is.I've got a new custom rifle it took 14 mths .I haven't fired it i'm waiting for the bipod
regards
Guy

Dang, ease up on the meds!

No sense in repeating all of the good features, etc as some have posted like Lonewolf's eval. it's solid.

I used it out to 1k yesterday and experienced no issues with the hopping etc. Using the Shooter program, the AEII and BH's 175 my elevation was spot on all of the way. We had to work the wind though!

Damn Dub. Good to see you're making friends LOL
Don't they teach you army guys not to drink and post?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go punch your mom in the face and chokehold your sister while your doin her next time..... </div></div>
A bit over the top dude. He doesn't like a piece of kit...BFD. Personally I find it unlikely that he'd ever cheat on <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> sister like that.

Dub, sounds like you have a piece of shit stock and your blaming the wrong piece of equipment for your problems. Of course the retarded ass comment about the "hype" makes you a shit stain on some sheets at an hourly motel.

Thread title, while cutely sarcastic, was troll bait to begin with.

The Atlas in its current version seems to be a solid piece of gear and Kasey's evolution of the product to market demands and shooter input has been outstanding.

I've had my hands on more than a few (just installed a rail and Atlas on my buddy's stock last week), and while the Atlas is not what I currently run, it is definitely a solid product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you cant fix stupid......
crazy.gif
</div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dub, sounds like you have a piece of shit stock and your blaming the wrong piece of equipment for your problems. Of course the retarded ass comment about the "hype" makes you a shit stain on some sheets at an hourly motel. </div></div>

Ha ha ha...I've gotta remember that!

The only reason I stopped using the Harris is cause it doesnt pan.

Redmanss...are you saying the a.r.m.s. lever is better than the ADM?

Haha I was gonna say I heard great things about them. I'm saving to get one!

The Atlas is the BEST bi-pod on the market PERIOD!
I use them and ACCURACY has never been an issue. I have DOZENS of customers who will testify to that. No POI change ever.
Last week a 1100 yard 12"x12" plate was hit on the first shot and second follow up shot.. as well as a 1200 yard 12"x12" plate first and second shot hit...off a concrete bench in moderate wind.
Obviously no POI there.
At this point in time there is NO BETTER choice than the Altas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No POI change ever. </div></div>

Not POI but POA does.

Either one of several things are true here...

A. You've never used one with a heavy barreled rifle with the legs canted forward (one of it's key advertised features)...then changed your bipod loading even slightly to change mags, look through your spotter etc.
B. Mine was broken (it wasn't)
C. I'm making this up because I'm bored

Under the conditions listed under option A your POA will shift dramatically in the vertical plane since the head can tilt fore and aft. I found this to be annoying as hell particularly for making follow-up shots. That surely doesn't mean it's garbage but it absolutely doesn't make it the greatest thing since skyward pointing boobies either. Having to constantly adjust my shootinng position to my bipod is not an exercise I wish to engage in. Sure, maybe you can "shoot around it" when you're on a nice cushy bench or platform but when you're shooting in sand or rocks it adds an xtra bit of movement that can be detrimental.

Manufacturers won't improve their products if we continuously blow sunshine up their skirts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only reason I stopped using the Harris is cause it doesnt pan.

Redmanss...are you saying the a.r.m.s. lever is better than the ADM?</div></div> Exact opposite. The ADM rocks, but if you don't need QD then go with the basic clamp model (BT10). I'm running mine on ARs right now.

Obviously you don't know me or what I shoot. As far as being nice and cushy on the bench that's just one example. I'm mostly a prone shooter and other much uncomfortable positions as well as an expert bench shooter. You may be referring to the original Atlas that folded under recoil with a heavy barreled rifle. Yes, I had that problem too but no longer due to the modification. As for "never" used your statement couldn't be more wrong. Not much rifles heavier than a Hulk which you can see on our website. I use a single shot and a repeater and never had those issues with the NEW pod. I'm normally 5' 9" 210 lbs with abs and I can still get flat enough to fold the legs 45 deg. and make use of that feature MOST of the time ESPECIALLY when shooting off rocks and logs roofs etc. so..no I'm not just used to the nice "cushy" bench. Maybe you don't have the improved version yet? I respect your opinion and views but please don't pretend to know what I shoot and how.
As for blowing sunshine up their skirt I was one of the first to call the man about an improvement along with others. I spend about 300 plus days a year behind a rifle..on the ground and the bench so I think that quailfies me as knowing something. I'm sure the bi-pod will improve even more in time like most other things we use in the industry.
I don't need a bi-pod or a bench to shoot, but if I'm going to use a bi-pod it's going to be an Atlas till something better comes out.
And I will say again..No POI change ever. If my word isn't good enough I will send you a pic..with all due respect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No POI change ever. </div></div>

Not POI but POA does.

Either one of several things are true here...

A. You've never used one with a heavy barreled rifle with the legs canted forward (one of it's key advertised features)...then changed your bipod loading even slightly to change mags, look through your spotter etc.
B. Mine was broken (it wasn't)
C. I'm making this up because I'm bored

Under the conditions listed under option A your POA will shift dramatically in the vertical plane since the head can tilt fore and aft. I found this to be annoying as hell particularly for making follow-up shots. That surely doesn't mean it's garbage but it absolutely doesn't make it the greatest thing since skyward pointing boobies either. Having to constantly adjust my shootinng position to my bipod is not an exercise I wish to engage in. Sure, maybe you can "shoot around it" when you're on a nice cushy bench or platform but when you're shooting in sand or rocks it adds an xtra bit of movement that can be detrimental.

Manufacturers won't improve their products if we continuously blow sunshine up their skirts.

</div></div>

You have no clue who it is that you are "schooling" like he doesn't shoot. Did you bother to read his signature line? Tom's kinda shot a couple rounds in his time.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously you don't know me or what I shoot. As far as being nice and cushy on the bench that's just one example. I'm mostly a prone shooter and other much uncomfortable positions as well as an expert bench shooter. You may be referring to the original Atlas that folded under recoil with a heavy barreled rifle. Yes, I had that problem too but no longer due to the modification. As for "never" used your statement couldn't be more wrong. Not much rifles heavier than a Hulk which you can see on our website. I use a single shot and a repeater and never had those issues with the NEW pod. I'm normally 5' 9" 210 lbs with abs and I can still get flat enough to fold the legs 45 deg. and make use of that feature MOST of the time ESPECIALLY when shooting off rocks and logs roofs etc. so..no I'm not just used to the nice "cushy" bench. Maybe you don't have the improved version yet? I respect your opinion and views but please don't pretend to know what I shoot and how.
As for blowing sunshine up their skirt I was one of the first to call the man about an improvement along with others. I spend about 300 plus days a year behind a rifle..on the ground and the bench so I think that quailfies me as knowing something. I'm sure the bi-pod will improve even more in time like most other things we use in the industry.
I don't need a bi-pod or a bench to shoot, but if I'm going to use a bi-pod it's going to be an Atlas till something better comes out.
And I will say again..No POI change ever. If my word isn't good enough I will send you a pic..with all due respect. </div></div>

To be clear on a few points Tom...

I stated POA, not POI and I had the new version. The ability of the head to tilt fore and aft raises and lowers the barrel when the legs are canted when you change the load on the bipod under the (modest) weight of a 98 Bravo. No conspiracy here and it doesn't take an engineering degree to just look at one and clearly see how it happens. I'd image that I could have cranked the knob tight with channel locks to prevent that but...well...you can see the obvious problems with that approach.

Secondly I'm not questioning your background or experience but I will absolutely question equipment that I pay for, including equipment my tax dollar pays for in the form of govt. contracts. The real issue here is not me or anything I said about the Atlas. The issue is that we can't give an honest opinion about a piece of equipment based on real world experience. Doing so is the equivelant of screaming "Justin Beiber blows" in a room full of schoolgirls then out come the groupies to discredit you even if your assessment 100% spot-on.

My intent was not to insult you so I'll apologize if that was the result but I won't be a "yes man" and I stand by my assessment of the product. I'd rank it "OK" but nothing more than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have no clue who it is that you are "schooling" like he doesn't shoot. Did you bother to read his signature line? Tom's kinda shot a couple rounds in his time..... </div></div>
This has nothing to do with his shooting or experience and the initials after someone's name doesn't equal instant credibility with me. We've all been screwed by those with far more initials than Tom (no offense to him)

BattleAxe,

I still don't understand what you mean by shifting the POA when loading the bipod.

1. The bipod is attached to the forearm rail system not the barrel.
2. Are you talking about once you are behind the rifle and have a sight picture that the POA changes when you load the bipod?
3. When you say "raise and lower the barrel" do you mean that when you load the bipod the muzzle takes a downward attitude compared to when unloaded?

If that is the case that is a training issue and not a bipod issue. The Atlas is made to load, but the POA should remain the same...maybe not the natural point of aim or NPOA. Either way it is not an "issue" with the product. It does what it was made to do.

Josh

BattleAxe,

I've not had any issues with my Atlas causing a shift in either POA or POI. This is from using it in all kinds of conditions. Hard dirt. Concrete. Sand. Uphill. Downhill. Not a single problem. I don't understand what you're describing. If I keep my cheek weld tight and consistent, there is no shift. Either you're not using your bi-pod properly or there's something wrong with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BattleAxe,

I still don't understand what you mean by shifting the POA when loading the bipod.

1. The bipod is attached to the forearm rail system not the barrel.
2. Are you talking about once you are behind the rifle and have a sight picture that the POA changes when you load the bipod?
3. When you say "raise and lower the barrel" do you mean that when you load the bipod the muzzle takes a downward attitude compared to when unloaded?

If that is the case that is a training issue and not a bipod issue. The Atlas is made to load, but the POA should remain the same...maybe not the natural point of aim or NPOA. Either way it is not an "issue" with the product. It does what it was made to do.

Josh </div></div>

I wish I still had it so I could show you but I'll try to explain...

Imagine all of this with the knob loose for illustration sake. With the legs canted forward the tilt head (being locked to the legs) settles under the weight of the rifle. Look at the tilt head and note its position. Now look at your crosshairs without loading and note the position.

Now load the bipod. As you load it, the leverage of the load tilts the head in the opposite direction and raises your crosshairs or POA by quite a bit. Obviously at this point you adjust for it and finish building your position. As long as you don't change that load you're fine and the tilt head is pinned in place. If you reduce that load for any reason including recoil induced leg slippage, you have to rebuild your shooting position to maintain POA or hope your legs have something to dig into to maintain the load. If it were possible to lock the tilt head with the knob I'd have never thought this to be an issue but you can't get it tight enough to hold it under the weight of the Barrett. Its not a heavy rifle as a whole but it has a very heavy barrel.

Technically your right...the bipod is doing what its supposed to do but I've found that in many situations I don't want to have to rebuild my position after a shot or simply after a glance through my spotter. I was able to compensate for it but I didn't like having to. Sure you can train yourself to avoid this, but the issue is non-existent with my other bipods.

I have nothing against Atlas and actually have some of their products you'd have to fight me for but I just didn't like the bipod. Given that you can tilt the bipod on its legs, there's really no need to be able to tilt it up and down via a tilt head. I felt it added an extra bit of movement/slop that I didn't want.

While I see what you are saying, unless you are able to push the Harris straight toward the target when loading you are going to need to refine your sight picture a bit before breaking the shot. This goes with any bipod as you should be loading them no matter which brand. I always use my rear bag to fine tune prior to the shot and have not noticed any difference in my technique between bipods it just seems that the Atlas is easier to load effectively.

Having said that, no product is for everyone and I respect everyone's ability to choose where they spend their money. Unfortunately, people like Dub flame spray products for no good reason and cause each camp to defend their chosen product. I realize you were not the one stomping around like a child. Each person needs to get behind products if at all possible prior to purchasing to make a decision that works for them.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I see what you are saying, unless you are able to push the Harris straight toward the target when loading you are going to need to refine your sight picture a bit before breaking the shot. </div></div>
You're right I do have to correct with each of them just not near as much as with the atlas. We do each however have our own styles/techniques so I'm not bashing the Atlas by any measure. It just wasn't for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats an Atlas bipod? </div></div>
Rifle antifallover device. One each.
cool.gif

We use the Atlas mostly on the KMW Sentinel combat stock, and none of us doing so has had this issue. I run my shooters on a lot of uneven ground and surfaces and we have yet to see this.
Maybe, "just" maybe this is and issue with a certain "used" method or on certain weapon set-ups.
No insult taken so lets all try to have a rational conversation to get to the bottom of this "POA" issue.
Our rifles range from 16.5 lbs to 28 lbs with 1.350 - 1.115 dia. barrels. Just to be fair in the argument/disussion we have not seen this but maybe others have.
Kind'a like one bad apple doesn't make them all bad situation.
I went years with out the use of a bi-pod and when I did use one or two they ended up laying around TVP somewhere and rusting away because I tossed them. Lol..that's true by the way.
When I used the Atlas the first time I will admit I noticed a few changes that needed to be made but "they" fixed some of them.
It's a great product and with the new and improved upgrades I was happier. Like I said before it will even evolve further as time goes on and will continue to improve with the right folks/shooters involved in the evolution.
Bi-pods, like other things WE shooters need and depend on are still in the stone age IMHO. I'm glad the "Atlas" folks recognized this and have attempted to make us a better product. Constructive critizism is the key here. Humans have been evolving for millions of years but we still have ass-clowns surrounding us we all have to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Maybe, "just" maybe this is and issue with a certain "used" method or on certain weapon set-ups. </div></div>

This is exactly what it is Tom. I probably should have mentioned this but it just came to me...this problem is VERY pronounced when shooting with a monopod. If I use a bag its barely noticable. I sometimes use a bag, mono or no rest at all but I run a mono when I can and it suits the conditions. Any change in barrel height when using one requires a major adjustment at the tail end. You don't notice it with a bag because a small squeeze goes a long way.

If you must use a bipod then the Atlas is hard to beat. I can't think of a better one for practical shooting, bench or field. There might be something more specialized but thats not the point. I have always found Harris bipods springy, and much prefer my new Atlas. GG&G do a nice one too, but I still prefer the Atlas. However, I'll still use my bergan or a sand bag when needs must; and none work when taking standing shots.

...one other time I see it is when I'm using a bag that's at the limit of it's travel. I shoot in sand a lot and this often happens during recoil, and as such my shooting position sometimes changes involuntarily.

BattleAxe,

Now knowing you use a rear monopod, the former issue makes perfect sense. I have always used a rear bag, so it has never been an issue for me. I didn't even think about it.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BattleAxe,

Now knowing you use a rear monopod, the former issue makes perfect sense. I have always used a rear bag, so it has never been an issue for me. I didn't even think about it.

Josh </div></div>It does it with a bag too but only when shooting in sand. The sand here is like peanut butter and you often find yourself with the bag at the limits of its travel from recoil induced "sinkage". A bipod without a very big set of claws will sink and any additional or unnecessary movement is the enemy during rapid fire.

I'm from Central Florida (Lake County) and know all about Florida sand (grove and sugar types).

Josh