• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas, Harris, or Magpul bipod for spr rifles

I've got a magpul on mine mainly for weight. I prefer it to my Harris styles for weight and ergos. I don't need to deploy super fast. Im too cheap for an atlas, so no opinions there. Seems like they'd be the best of both worlds though.

Reactions: Pointman308
I've owned a whole bunch of Harris, I have a BT10 and Gen2 CAL Atlas, and 1 Magpul.

The Harris is the baseline for me - mostly does the job, but nothing to call home about, lol. If you go the Harris route, I think the swivel, leg notched version is the way to go. I've had these for years, and they're just fine.

I've only had the Magpul for a year or so, and I haven't spent a ton of time with it. I kind of like the ergonimcs of the Magpul in terms of their legs, and it hasn't been too bad to shoot from. There's a little bit of 'slop' that allows 'preload' a little better than a Harris. But, I'm not a big fan of the tension knob on the Magpul. I've had a tough time finding that sweet spot that allows some movement without too much slop. The Magpul also just feels a little cheap to me. Again, I haven't spent a ton of time with it so I can only say it feels cheap to me.

I have very few complaints with either of the Atlas bipods. My BT10 series is older with a generous amount of 'slop' to 'preload', which I like on the gun it's on. The CAL has noticeably less 'slop'. The CAL locks-up very solid, and the BT10 tension knob has been easy to give the right amount of tension.

For me, the two guns I shoot the most wear the Atlas bipods, and the Harris and Magpul bipods are all on backup rifles.

There is another thread that goes into a bit more detail (and more responses) regarding Harris vs Atlas, so I put it at the bottom for you to check out. As for Magpul, I haven't used it and probably won't get around to doing so. I own and have run both the HBRMS and the CAL (Gen 2) and honestly the CAL is my go-to for all of my rifles. I'll pull it off my bolt gun and throw it on my LMT SLK8 when I do LR with 556.

I grew up on the HBRMS, and used to recommend it to people when I didn't know any better and couldn't fathom spending almost $300 on a bipod. After hearing more about Atlas and getting exposed to them, I picked up a CAL. I've owned two, sold one, and now have one of each. I let friends and others handle each so they can make a well-informed decision before dropping that kind of cash. I'm planning on picking up a TBAC bipod so that will live on my bolt gun, the CAL will sit on the LMT, and the HBRMS will sit in the spare parts box in case it is needed. I've never owned the Atlas PSR but may snag one eventually just to round out options.

All that being said, if you only can afford dropping $100 on a bipod, get the HBRMS or try the Magpul. If you can wait a few months and save a bit more, then go with the CAL.

Agree with Secant's assessment of the Magpul. I've had mine a few months so far. For $100, it's quite a "feature-rich" little package. It's very simple and smooth to operate, loads nicely, has slightly more grippy feet than the Harris, and just works. It has a few out-of-the-box mounting options. It's lightweight. There are fewer external jags to get hung up on brush, and it's quick but quiet to deploy.

Cons: The tension knob is definitely finicky. It goes from tight to floppy loose too quickly. It might be marketed to pan, but in practical use, the tension knob lends itself better to adjusting the cant, and then tightening it and leaving it there.

I haven't punished it either, but I do get the impression that the Harris and Atlas are more durable. The Magpul's internal interface for the leg extensions appears to be metal on polymer, and I can see the polymer slots wearing over time. Seems like an eventual point of failure. We'll see.

Overall, I like the Magpul's simple and smooth operation. I like the weight and ergos. But I am on the fence about its long term durability. It's a game of trade-offs at $100, but for that price, it's nice option.

Nik

Either the Harris or Atlas CAL are great for AR's. Atlas CAL has a wider stance with the legs down which aids in stability while the Harris just works.

I pinched my hand in a Harris for the last time. Just recently picked up a Magpul and some Hawk Hill feet. Cant imagine buying another Harris.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
Remember you can set the Magpul to not pan and it seems much less “loose” that way ...And to me the tension knob works better when set to not pan as well.

I modified mine to go to 45* and this allows a much lower prone when warranted.

Remember you can set the Magpul to not pan and it seems much less “loose” that way ...And to me the tension knob works better when set to not pan as well.
What? How? I sold it with a rifle because I didn’t like it’s panning.

Edit: sob, says so right on the site but not how.

Edit: in the video you just pull it down and flip it around to lock it out. Well that address my main gripe satisfactorily.

Reactions: MichiganMitten
What? How? I sold it with a rifle because I didn’t like it’s panning.

Edit: sob, says so right on the site but not how.

Edit: in the video you just pull it down and flip it around to lock it out. Well that address my main gripe satisfactorily.

Loosen the knob all the way, the area under it is 2 pieces, you separate them and rotate the bottom part 180 around while leaving the upper part where it is.

This video shows this but goes by fast.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate how well the 45* mod worked out for you? did you just add a notch?

I bought one to tray a few months ago, I am still on the fence with it I like my Harris BR bipods because I like super low prone shots, my preferred rear bag is very small etc.

The only complaint I gave with the Magpul is its about 1.5-2 inches too high for my preferred setup when prone.

Magpul is great if you are going to carry it a lot - and Atlas is great if you just want to shoot?

Reactions: deersniper
Can you elaborate how well the 45* mod worked out for you? did you just add a notch?

I bought one to tray a few months ago, I am still on the fence with it I like my Harris BR bipods because I like super low prone shots, my preferred rear bag is very small etc.

The only complaint I gave with the Magpul is its about 1.5-2 inches too high for my preferred setup when prone.
Yeah, the one on the Kidd is lower. It was the first one I tried and while it worked out fine because of the stock shape I set out to be sure the one on the SR25 was higher.

The SR25 bipod did work out to be close to true 45*.

Even though I took many precautions to make both notches even, the first reassembly showed a slight unevenness. I corrected this by putting them side by side with a tight fitting steel rod through the mount hole on both. I then evened up the notches.

You need to make a little back cut for the plunger to come out far enough as well.

This back cut is circled below.

0D621E40-E463-443C-B359-8E6EE3F75CF9.jpeg

They are even and square in use now. It is a modification I am glad I did since I already owned them. If I was looking for a bipod for strictly competing or bench shooting I would probably by an Atlas or (gulp) a TB....and my wallet would groan. The problem with the 45* Magpul on uneven ground is that the legs are fairly close together and stability isn’t as sure as a wider design.

Last edited:
When the Magpul came out I thought it was sloppy and cheap compared to my Atlas-which was all I'd ever used. Fast forward a year later-the more I use the Magpul the more I like it. Bench shooting application on a 308 semi.

So is it a consensus that the mag poll is better for field use?
I do not own an Atlas, I do own a knock off I have used for 22s. The issue for me (which TB and Magpul addressed) is having to push buttons to deploy and not being able to lock out panning. The other design features of Atlas are great.

I do not have a TB either but it appears that they took a fresh look at field use and designed what seems to be the perfect set of features. Of course, at $395 it ought to be good.

I also have (gasp) 3 Grip Pods and for fast dropping to prone on a carbine they are unbeatable. They are Jarhead proven tough and while I know they are not “cool guy” stuff anymore...run 100 yards and then drop to prone and shoot some distance. They do exactly what they were purported to do, help get hits when a traditional bipod isn’t practical.

I do not shoot PRS, I do train. I think for a field bipod the Magpul checks off well. It doesn’t hop like a Harris, it has some flex built in like an Atlas and it is light but very strong. It obviously isn’t a TB and it wasn’t meant to be.

Last edited:
I have a Harris and just bought the Magpul.. The Harris is a good all around bipod.. Mine is without the swivel( I wish now I would have bought the swivel model) I haven't been able to shoot with the Magpul one yet.. It does seem like it is a little tall, but works out great on my AR.. I bought the Magpul to be used on my Victor/Titan Kidd .22 build.. I'll get out next weekend to check it out.. If it doesn't work out on the Titan/Kidd it's got a home on the AR..

osen the knob all the way, the area under it is 2 pieces, you separate them and rotate the bottom part 180 around while leaving the upper part where it is.

This video shows this but goes by fast.

Wow! Learn something every day. It’s not as easy as they make it seem in the video. But I just lock the pan and leave it. Works better for me, and makes the swivel less floppy. Works great now!

Reactions: Lawless
So I have an atlas and I have a Magpul now and I have to say I much prefer the magpul for a field bipod. Deploys very quickly and is lightweight and rugged I think they are a win-win

I also guess it depends on what a SPR really means.

As far as it goes, a GripPod is hard to beat and is Marine tough. No it doesn’t cant and isnt as sexy but in a traditional SPR role it works and is a great hand stop when not deployed.

Love my Atlas PSR BT46-LW17, especially because I can adjust the feet for whatever ground I'm shooting off. Got several different types of feet including the Hawk Hill Talons, some leg extensions, and to insure absolute lock down when needed the Victor Company PSR Tension Wrench. Got the PSR and the monopod equipped with the ADM lever so I can switch them between several rifles with the flick of a lever. They work like a charm and Kasey and his crew stand behind their products 100% and provide excellent customer service. Whether you get the PSR, or the CAL you won't regret it. Well worth the money and no regrets.

I have/had all three, and prefer the Magpul for general purpose AR use. No doubt the Atlas is better and more adjustable in most ways, and thats why it lives on a precision rifle where I might use all those features.

Ive had a few cheap ones. The magpul is by far my favorite and will be buying another.

I just cant bring myself to spend $300 on a bipod.

Ive had a few cheap ones. The magpul is by far my favorite and will be buying another.

I just cant bring myself to spend $300 on a bipod.
I have and don’t regret it at all.
They do make a difference.
There’s a target out there and that kinda expensive bipod helps me hit it

It’s substantially more stable than a magpul.

0241F2A0-31C0-403D-93CC-3A029E486A5D.jpeg

Reactions: Secant
ThunderBeast Harris with integrated picatinny Mount from Larue/adm/etc.

I like my atlas cal and it is stable but the ^ 2 above deploy much quicker. Had a PSR and wasn’t a fan.

I own & use both Atlas and Harris, but usually choose an Atlas over Harris for the reasons below.

- The Atlas has the ability to PAN, which the Harris lacks.
- The Atlas can be stowed either with the legs forward or rearward.
- A shooter can preload an Atlas bipod easier and better then a Harris.
- Atlas can be deployed silently, where the springs in the Harris can cause noise.
- Pulling a rifle towards you to re-position it can cause the legs of a Harris to collapse, where the Atlas will not.
- The Atlas offers more deployed positions then the Harris. The Harris is either up (stowed) or down (deployed), with no other options.
- A user can add sections to modify the length of the legs along with the type of feet (rubber, spike, etc) with the Atlas at will. Doing so with the Harris is a permanent change & only the type of feet can be changed.

Which bipod do you prefer for AR-15 Spr type rifles and why?
The Atlas CAL is pretty nice if you don't mind the price. If you practice with it, it is fairly quick and super stable. The magpul one is good for the price, but it isn't nearly as well made as the Atlas.

The Atlas S-CAL is a beast, built like the Rock of Gibraltar, a solid platform and with the Hawk Hill Talons it is ready for any terrain.

I use both my harris and my atlas equally. The speed of deploying the legs really is a massive benefit if you need it. In matches I’ve attended they don’t really make you transition a whole bunch as with lots of people I can see it causing safety concerns.
But when I practice by myself I go from a barricade to a table top frequently as a way of forcing myself to adapt to different situations quickly. Or at least that’s my goal.

I’ve been running the Magpul on my spr and I’m really liking it for this application. It’s fast, lite, and doesn’t hang Up on everything. It’s plenty rugged enough as far as I can Tell so far.