• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas with AI spigot

padronanniversary

Sergeant
Minuteman
I finally got to spend alot of time with the Atlas bipod today. Moving from the Harris, its light years ahead. My only issue with it, is the play in the spigot area where if I leave the rifle set up it tends to lean over one side or the other.

I have seen others here that have put set screws or the sort in their set up.

Would someone please post pics of what you have done to get rid of the play ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Atlas with AI spigot

You've just burst my bubble... I have a Versa-Pod + their AICS spigot and my reproachs are just the same : too much play in the spigot. OTOH, I'm fond of my Accu-Shot monopod and had come to believe that the panacea was the Atlas combo, which I was about to order. Now what, I don't like the Harris on an AICS either ?

I saw a dude at the range last week that had an Atlas and spigot mounted to his AICS. I believe there is a knurled tension knob that takes the play out? That's what he said anyway.

The knurled knob at the bottom puts tension on the swivel portion of the mount. However the spigot portion still moves around.

I'm thinking maybe put it on a mount and mount it like a haris. I might do that next vs put a screw in.

Don't get me wrong, the ATLAS in my opinion is way better than the harris, but the issue I have is just with the spigot mount portion. Too bad there is not like a pod lock at the end of that thing to flare out the spigot. For moving targets and adjusting while set up, its amazing.

I am looking to put an Atlas on an AI stocked rifle I have on the way. I planned on mounting it like a Harris but if there is a solid way to take the spigot slack out I'm all ears.

The Atlas spigot adapter should work with a Badger IMUNS still, right? I have never used one.

I am the "dude" DT1 refers to. My spigot is a very tight fit in the stock. So much so that it it very difficult to remove the bipod/spigot from the stock. It does not seem to have the play you are talking about.
I have found that the Atlas set up requires a bit of difference in how I load it, at least for my shooting style.
Now, on the other hand, my AI bipod has all the play where it attaches to the stock and has no way of locking it in. So not only does it move around in the stock it allows the rifle to flop around as well. I would much rather use a Harris with Pod Lok than the AI bipod.

What a perfect thread to demonstrate what my pre-production experience was with the AI Spigot fit to a range of AI stocks. As I've mentioned before, we could make a additional set of holes for set screws to lock it up to the stock rendering the fast on off useless. I'm just not convinced the numbers support such an additional step in manufacturing.

Another option is out BT28 AFAR Kit, using the accessory rail on the bottom, BT28 AFAR which then will accept the BT10 or BT10-LW17.

Thanks one and all for your support and interest.

What if the spigot was built similar to a screw/wall anchor with a knob to expand and tighten it after insertion? That way it could be locked in but still be user removable quickly with no tools?

I'm not sure if it would work or be too bulky, just brainstorming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if the spigot was built similar to a screw/wall anchor with a knob to expand and tighten it after insertion? That way it could be locked in but still be user removable quickly with no tools?

I'm not sure if it would work or be too bulky, just brainstorming. </div></div>

Or if the spigot were biased-cut with a tensioning screw, like the receiver pins for sloppy AR's??

If you take your skins off and take a look at the female portion of the spigot deal, you will notice that it is pretty much held in place by a roll pin which also holds the sling swivel in. you can tap that pin out and remove the whole spigot block assy. if one were savvy with cnc equip, one could fabricate a picatinny rail which is solidly roll pinned into the chassis just as the female portion of the spigot is attatched. (this is the same way badgers uns rail attaches)at this point you would purchase the bipod with a quick throw lever. you are now quick and slopless. but i think you all would be better served to put at least 100 rounds through the rifle with atlas atached as is i think you will find that you cease to notice the play. just my .02

[img:left]
2q1a1vn.jpg
[/img] [img:right]
2d8j6sj.jpg
[/img]

This fixes it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [img:left]
2q1a1vn.jpg
[/img] [img:right]
2d8j6sj.jpg
[/img]

This fixes it.</div></div>

Man, now that would be SLICK with the use of the ATLAS !!!!!!!! Anyone tried a mod on their spigot yet ????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the agent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice details please?
</div></div>
You can ship just about anything overseas. The world is a marketplace. No sloppy side to side with this set up. Dollar to pound rate isn't bad either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Man, now that would be SLICK with the use of the ATLAS !!!!!!!! Anyone tried a mod on their spigot yet ???? </div></div>

I would buy this tomorrow if someone sells a kit to do this with the Atlas. I have been trying to figure out a way myself.

This may sound funny, but I have been playing with some of the components from one of my kids airsoft guns (AI copy). This part in particular might be useful as a cheap option for a mount to modify. If I get the time, I would like to drill and tap the end of it for a tension screw/knob, plus it allows the Atlas to mount as designed. The spigot is held in place by a single cross bolt which can be removed.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/TSD_Type_96_Tri_Rail_Bipod_Adapter/1973

I've not found the slop to be a problem at all. It tends to center itself on the spigot ears with even a slight bit of preload. Supposedly the wiggle can be reduced by installing a few screws into the side of the bipod where the spigot is. I think Kasey has posted on that in the past before.

Here was my solution to the spigot problem. Just used the Vltor bipod as an example, but could fit my Atlas with Larue lever on there just as easily.

3241.jpg

3242.jpg

3244.jpg

This may be off the subject but I ask Glen Seekins if there was anyway to mount his sling rail to the bottom of the AICS. He said he had already done that with a couple of T-nuts from the hardware store. He did not remember what size they were he just took the screw from the rail and found a T-nut that fit inside the chasis slot. I love His rails on my manners and mcmillan stocks, thought it might be worth a try. Has anyone here tried that yet?
Rad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be off the subject but I ask Glen Seekins if there was anyway to mount his sling rail to the bottom of the AICS. He said he had already done that with a couple of T-nuts from the hardware store. He did not remember what size they were he just took the screw from the rail and found a T-nut that fit inside the chasis slot. I love His rails on my manners and mcmillan stocks, thought it might be worth a try. Has anyone here tried that yet?
Rad </div></div>

Great idea! Just ordered one and will try it out.

Thanks
smile.gif
Will ship the SRS out Monday for you

If you guys cant find T nuts that work i can build some easily. I just need a stock to measure. I wont be able to do it until late November tho..We are super swamped.

Hey Ohio,
What is that rail piece you have the vltor mounted to? I really like it.

Cheers
T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
radmcg said:
This may be off the subject but I ask Glen Seekins if there was anyway to mount his sling rail to the bottom of the AICS. He said he had already done that with a couple of T-nuts from the hardware store. He did not remember what size they were he just took the screw from the rail and found a T-nut that fit inside the chasis slot. I love His rails on my manners and mcmillan stocks, thought it might be worth a try. Has anyone here tried that yet?
Rad </div></div>

Sorry Glen.....Had to.
DAIPIC1-1.jpg

AICS Hand stop rail.
P8290139-1.jpg

http://www.phoenixtactical.com/index.php...fm2o6e0qtk36e13

Don't scream hijack, all the Fed's will show up.

+1 to the Hand stop rail. My Atlas setup doesn't move at all with that on there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohiogunnut whose spigot rail is that in the photo?
Rad </div></div>

Just look farther up in the post.

Ohio, can you please take pics of the area what you did ? I assume you just drilled it out and then threaded the hole. What did you do, put a bolt in it. I would have to assume the bolt would have to go inward to flare the spigot portion out ?

Ok so wheres the best place to get the atlas with ai spigot?

accu shot or rifles only, send lisa an email and see if they have them, when i left there they were low on the AI spigot atlas

I got mine from Rifles Only two weeks ago. They were the only ones that had them in stock at the time. I would check to make sure they are in stock before ordering but they were very fast on getting it shipped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
radmcg said:
Rad </div></div>

Sorry Glen.....Had to.
DAIPIC1-1.jpg

AICS Hand stop rail.
P8290139-1.jpg

http://www.phoenixtactical.com/index.php...fm2o6e0qtk36e13

Don't scream hijack, all the Fed's will show up. </div></div>

Can i direct people your way to buy the nuts? What thread pitch?

I have a couple Atlas's in stock with spigots as well, I just added the extensions, cleats, and ski feet to my eshop along with the spigot and correct BT10-NC bipod.

Adam

Ohiogunnut That is the funniest thing I've seen on this board. I saw your post about working with it but didn't get is was the one in the photo. LOL The funniest thing is I was going man I like that one a lot better than than the others. That cracks me up. Thanks What kind o mods did you have to make to get the spigot to fit?

Yes I know, an $8 airsoft part on a custom GA Precision 7mm Rem Mag... It would never have happened except I kept playing with my kids airsoft AI while I was waiting for mine. It's really a simple thing as the airsoft steel spigot itself fits almost perfectly. I took the part, removed the steel spigot which is just held in place by one screwed in bolt and clamped it vertically in my drill press and drilled a hole in the center (end which faces away from the rifle). I then threaded it and add added two curved washers (the larger one against the tri-rail must have a center hole just bigger than the spigot) and a button head screw to this end. The tapered washers give it some flex. One the side facing the stock I cut a piece of pliable plastic (section of a Malice clip) to fit between the tri-rail and the aluminum portion of the stock to keep the thing from rubbing against the AI skins (in the recessed area above the spigot hole) and tightened the bolt, locking the thing up solid. That's it. Cost me about $15 at True Value for the screw, washers, drill bit, and tap.

3262.jpg

We also make a rail for the bottom accessory slots like are found on the AI, Anschutz and Freeland AFAR Kit The nuts are rectangular so they work in all of these.

Glen, if you wish to make the nuts like the nuts we make, I'll send you the "drawring" but our AFAR rail is relieved on the back to accommodate them soooo mayhap they don't work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bauer Arms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple Atlas's in stock with spigots as well, I just added the extensions, cleats, and ski feet to my eshop along with the spigot and correct BT10-NC bipod.

Adam </div></div>

You have one less now
smile.gif
I have officially joined the Atlas club for my AW.

OK, my SRS from Seekins doesn't get here until next week, so I tried something else out in the interim and it's a pretty decent option. I had an extra 7 slot rail from a GG&G barrel sling mount for my Benelli and ran up to True Value again and picked up 3 - 10/32 T nuts and 9 - 1/2" washers which just fit over the T nut. Rail had three included screws and I used three washers over each T nut to get the correct spacing/tension. Again, extremely solid and cost me $7 (I bought both the flat base T nuts which I used and the ones with the claws base just in case, otherwise it would have only been $4). Works with my Atlas (Larue mount), Harris's (Larue mounts), QD flashlights, etc. Only trick to install is I cut a small piece of rag and shoved it though the large hole in the slot filling the area, which provided a flexible base to support the T nut/washers when I screwed them in. Installed them loose and they torqued down fine when I slid the rail to where I wanted it.

3289.jpg

I was inspired by Ohiogunnut. Behold:

bipod1_sm.jpg

bipod2_sm.jpg

Yes, that's an Airsoft part on an AI AW50. What about it?!
wink.gif

It actually seems pretty stable. I wonder if it will hold up under the punishing recoil of suppressed 50BMG (it has already taught me that an LT107 mount needs to be tightened to 35 in-#s, not 20 as I'd previously thought). I'll be sure and report back!

Not trying to change the love fest here for the Chinese airsoft gear....lol, but as the Op titled it: "Atlas with AI spigot" I thought I'd would let interested parties know that we are doing a new spigot for the AI as we could not seem to be able to overcome the tolerance issues.

Also, Ohiogunnut, are you sending us your V7 for the conversion?

Hey Kasey,

I just looked at your BT19 spigot and BT20 rail set. Getting those two together looks like a much more solid alternative to the $8 part I'm using!

If I were to send you one of those English tension-adjustable AI spigots (shown in Tucsondave's post above), would you be able to mount one inside of a BT19 for me? I have a spare one.

It would require you to drill a hole for a pin. I'll upload a photo you can look at...

Now that is funny, I never even saw that coming! I didn't think about our spigot being used for to mount the Vltor bipod legs on the AI!!! See that is what I'm talking about when I say I love this industry and this community in particular, smart bunch that are always thinking and tinkering!

Seriously, it's not the cost that matters its the performance and from what I can see and with my limited knowledge, I'd say that part design will probably be very strong unless it's a cast part made from a low strength material as opposed to extruded from high strength Aluminum. I'd shoot it and see what happens, it might just be the answer.

The BT19 block mates to our BT10-NC Atlas Bipod which has a ARMs 17S hole pattern, which is followed though the actual spigot pin. So those are the parameters I'm working in, and right now no one offs are possible as the machines are trying to catch up to the assembly crew!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, Ohiogunnut, are you sending us your V7 for the conversion? </div></div>

Kasey, will get it out tomorrow. Had shoulder surgery last week, so movin slow.

Well, just in case you change your mind Kasey here are some photos of that part:

bipod3_sm.jpg

bipod4_sm.jpg

As you can see, that slot milled in towards the front is where the pin goes, allowing some forward and back motion.

There are two things I like about your spigot mount over the airsoft. First, yours appears to be a solid piece, whereas the side-rails on the airsoft are skeletonized, which is bound to reduce strength, and they are the load-balancing parts in this arrangement. The second advantage is that your mount's side-rails have a centerline corresponding to the spigot, whereas the airsoft's is offset a bit higher. On the AW50 with the Vltor legs fully extended with the built-in monopod all the way collapsed, the rifle is barely nose-high. The lower centerline would provide more useful elevation travel. Finally, I can't use the self-tightening spigot with the airsoft rail, although if I can find a drill-press I could reproduce Ohiogunnut's ingenious set-up.

On the whole though, it certainly looks like a nice bipod arrangement -- wide with a high pivot point. I will certainly see if it can take the necessary punishment!

I had the same play problem with my Atlas, I used some 1/64 plywood and CA glue to stick it on the atlas and its solid as hell now
smile.gif

Jake

Ohiogunnut, all that heavy recoil finally catchin' up....

LFOD1776, no picture found.... I have been told that the more surface area the more strength, so the skeleton design in theory should be plenty strong.

Of course I post then then the pictures load... there slot is horizontal, ours is vertical, same principle. Simple and COMMON means to tighten a Gizmo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohiogunnut, all that heavy recoil finally catchin' up....

LFOD1776, no picture found.... I have been told that the more surface area the more strength, so the skeleton design in theory should be plenty strong.

Of course I post then then the pictures load... there slot is horizontal, ours is vertical, same principle. Simple and COMMON means to tighten a Gizmo.

</div></div>

Hey Kasey,

So re-reading your posts you say you're re-doing your spigot mount, and using vertical slots? Does that mean your forthcoming spigot mount will be something that can be tightened? Any idea when that's going to be available?

Alright, range report for my Frankenpod:

Upside: Nice and stable. Held up fine to super 50BMG recoil, including with the silencer attached.

Downside: I scuffed up my barrel on both sides where it rubbed up against the Vltor mod pods. See my photo to understand how that happened.