• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision ATN PS223A Worth the $

paramil

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
About 8 years ago I looked into ATN as a cost effective alternative to the higher grade, higher priced military equivalent. The consensus back then was that ATN was garbage.

So I saved my pennies, then lost my pennies, and back to saving again.

So my question being, when being compared to the PVS-22 (UNS) is the ATN version worth the 4 grand (half price from the UNS), performance wise is it even worth it, or are ATN's night vision version of the UNS still garbage?

Re: ATN PS223A Worth the $

General consensus is one still has a 50/50 chance of having major POA/POI issues out of the box. Hope this helps.

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">General consensus is one still has a 50/50 chance of having major POA/POI issues out of the box. Hope this helps.

Vic </div></div>

This is true, BUT it's any easy fix, that's IF you have issues. I have been using a PS22 for 3 years without issue. Please understand, it's designed to use with an AGOG(4x). I would not recommend the PS22, if you are wanting to go over 6x or use with a large objective scope.
I plan on buying another,as it appears ATN has improved the focus system.

Responses appreciated. I want this to work in conjunction with my Schmidt and Bender 5-25, so ya may have to keep saving.

What are the simple fixes Wes? I would strongly consider pulling the trigger on one of these if I knew I could get a good RZ on it...

If it isn't collimated from the factory, you can do it yourself.
There's three screw on the rear of the housing that moves
the prism.
See here for detailed pics
PS22 disassembly

More info

With 50% of the ATN clip-on unit not being collimated for Zero at the factory when built . To collimat proper Zero on every unit . How much extra time can that take them before putting them out for retail ???

Sounds like they treat this like you would a Suppressor as a accessory to the Rifle . Attach the ATN Clip-on and if there is POI shift . Just document it & then dial the POI shift change from the clip-on every time you put it on the rifle in front of the Obj. . Much like you do a Suppressor with POI shifts .

I have used the ps22, not really tested for accuracy, but for observation, and it isn't as good as a PVS24, but its pretty decent - in particular the cost comparison is hard to argue with if you're using it for recreational purposes. If this was something that I was going to use in time of serious need, I'd spend the extra money on the PVS22/24/27 - if you're shooting yotes or hogs - its not a bad deal.

Apparently it not that easy to collimat POI because the Tech's @ ATN cant do it for there own product . I don't understand why ATN does not go just that one extra step in making an attempt to do a proper zero on there front of Obj. clip-on NV ?
hopefully when you are doing a POI adjustment for zero for your Suppressors . The ATN unit is off the opposite direction so you don't have to compensate for both point of impact changes .

These issues are why I don't deal with anything ATN. The POS-22 is still not "cheap". Maybe by clip on standards it is cheaper. Certainly, still an expensive piece of kit.

One should not need to fix something out of the box brand new. I know some guys who love them and others you could not give one to. I fall in the latter.Any company happy with a 50% success rate is not for me.

I am sure I could collimate one but not for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it isn't collimated from the factory, you can do it yourself.
There's three screw on the rear of the housing that moves
the prism.
See here for detailed pics
PS22 disassembly

More info </div></div>

I forgot to mention,this should be approached as a DIY project.

The first one I purchased,was from Cabela's Bargin Cave. For those,who don't know about the Bargin Cave, it's where Cabela's resells returned items. I had my reservations from the beginning.The unit I bought had a POA/POI shift(Russian GenII),where as the other one purchased from Cabela's(by a buddy)was fine.I promptly returned it and ordered a GenIII housing from ATN,installed my MX10130,collimated and it's still going strong 3 years later.
I can not recommend ATN's factory units, as they are hit or miss.

I have an ATN PS40-3P. It's the big brother to the PS22. I've had no problems with POI/POA. Combined with a 4.5-14 Mark IV Leupold and a laser illuminator on a 5R mil spec I routinely shoot out to 350 yards on dark nights. If the moon/stars are cooperating I can take it out much further. I've run the unit hard... high volume of rounds on a 7.62x39 AR, 308 win (w/ suppressor), and 22LR. In the rain, bouncing around in a truck, you name it. A year and a half in and no problems. Hogs hate it!

Good to know, thanks to everyone for the feedback.