• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Attention Idaho Ground Squirrel Hunters

FALex

Headmaster of Romper Room
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
USA
Well, I belong to the Idaho Varmint Hunters Association here in this great state. These folks hold an annual "Whistlepig Tournament" in April. I log on to their website to get my sign up sheets, and read this big yellow, caution lettering stating the tournament has been cancelled this year due to restrictions placed on some sub-species of ground squirrels in Idaho.

As it turns out, the State of Idaho placed our wonderful "whistelpigs" under a state protection to keep their numbers from dwindling. The dominate sub-species for whistlepigging is the Piute Ground Squirrel, and they are now listed as protected by this state. There are some species that are already protected under the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (Federal protection), but they are in the area of McCall, Cascade, and Donnelly.

For an obsessive "pigger" like myself, this was devastating news. I had a 10/22 and loaded a boat-load of .223, specifically, for this year's season and I spent over $500.00 on .17 Hummer ammo. I WOULD TAKE TIME OFF WORK TO GO PIGGIN' (a big deal for me...haven't called in sick in over 8 years...)! Interestingly, the gal at Fish and Game stated she has received several calls from Californians and Oregonians concerned about the ban.

I just wanted to vent. I am so angry and frustrated about this.

Much gratefulness to the ID Varmint Hunters Association, who have been in contact with State Reps and the head honchos at Fu & Gu. Apparently, Fu & Gu has been meeting about the issue for the last 2 days, trying to decide if they should take the Piute GS off the list. I have prayers said, but my faith in governmental agencies is severely lacking. I notice a trend toward taking a lot of things away, and have yet to see them give ANYTHING back...

Stay tuned...

Re: Attention Idaho Ground Squirrel Hunters

I feel for you buddy. I am a "pigger" myself but here in Utah they already have quite a few restrictions. I generally hunt (if you can call it that, it's more like slaughtering) out in Southern Montana every year. Do you know if they've put any restrictions up there as well?

I was just reading the propaganda booklet The Fish and wildlife put out with cooperation of the state . The wording is as if the hsus or defenders of wildlife did the research . What a bunch of horse shit . Just more of the same preservationist rhetoric ......Where was the tourney supposed to be ? There are plenty of areas devoid of their "special" pot guts.... I hear they want to restrict chuck shooting now because they " need to do more research" . IDFG needs to quit wasting our money on this garbage ..

the tourney is held here in the Treasure Valley. We WERE SUPPOSED to meet at a facility in Meridian 4/14 at 6am to check in and get our burlap sacks. From there, you can go wherever you like, just need to be back by 6pm the same evening.

I just got word from IVHA that Fu and Gu may have "misclassified" the squirrels in our areas and they are now trying to determine which species we actually have in our areas, or they are wondering if they should just take off/leave on the protective status. Supposedly, they have prioritized this issue so that we could have an answer before the tournament's date...we'll see.

On another note, after watching "Pigman: The Series", I wish we had prairie dogs in Idaho!!!

Good to know . I'd love to get in on that if you have any info .... I'm out of Nampa now , formerly Mccall ..

sure will let you know. Hopefully, the classification changes and the ban is lifted. If it is, find another team mate (2 man teams), 30.00 entry fee, and a whole shit ton of ammo because it'll get a bit tragic out there.

Do you know where Hawktech Arms is in Meridian? If you don't know, you should go check it out, they have some cool toys in there, but behind the building will also be the registration/weigh in IF the tourney occurs...

well, as an update, apparently F&G made a mistake with the actual Latin species names for the GS's in this area. The gal I just spoke with said they are waiting for the "rest of the signatures" to get the protection rescinded, which she said they expect to have completed tomorrow. However, she said squirrel shooting south of Boise is good to go.

As it stands now, after tomorrow, we should be good to go with the exceptions of species listed in the regs that are under the federal ESA of 1973.

I'll post updates as I get them, but again, as it stands, the tourney SHOULD be on, but there has not been an official announcement made. They are awaiting to get the official letter about it from F&G.

Stay tuned...

Good to know, but I must ask; why is it that if they are called Piute ground squirrel's, every Idahoan I've ever met calls them whistlepigs? Isn't whistlepig another name for a marmot? My dad and uncle get in red faced arguments over this phenomenon, it seems to occur just north of the potato line.

We have 2 types of marmots ( chucks) and 20 something ground squirrels . It get pretty stupid trying to sort them all out .