• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AUS Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build

Smooth_87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2013
Australia
It was many years ago that I was first introduced to the Tikka T3, the first that I fired was a good friends Tikka T3 270 varmint. From the first two shots I knew these were a nice rifle, with an excellent trigger and action. Anybody in the know knows that the Tikka has some distinct similarities with the Sako TRG and some features that are in fact better, all for a cheaper price.

Fast Forward to last year!!!
Knowing well of the potential of the T3, I purchased a T3 Varmint Stainless in 308win and a handful of us Aussie fellas got to pestering Greg From Wombat Ordnance to build us some hybrid AICS inspired chassis. Greg has a tremendous amount of skill from many years’ experience as a machinist and is an expert on the tools. I have dreamed up an AI style system for the Tikka for a long time and Greg’s talents and service are second to none. We waited patiently as Greg did these for us in his spare time, enjoying every update he gave us on the build. Then it was born!!!

The chassis incorporates all the good features of the AICS suitable for other rifles and some neat features like a slightly shorter custom cheek piece that allows easy removal of the bolt, which is handy as we can’t have folders in AUS. The magazine well has a beautiful inlet bevel so that magazine insertion is a trouble free experience and the whole chassis is type 3 hard coat anodized. Greg has made both a picatinny and spigot adaptor for us so that either a Quick release or spigot mount Atlas can be used for example. Bedded down on a Sterk recoil lug and fitted with the Sterk Swept ball and titanium shroud, the package is one that has fantastic ergonomics and balance.

The Cheek Piece, allowing bolt removal

the mag well, well bevelled allowing easy mag insertion

Sterk Swept Ball and Titanium Shroud

The rifle is great for positional shooting and fixes the nose diving problem that a regular t3 varmint has. Coupled with the fact that the only plastic is the Victor Company Skins ( which are fantastic and a credit to Michael Victor) The rifle is now the one that I have the most confidence with on long trips in the wilderness in the elements, everything on it is either cerakoted or anodized with a micro slicked action, making it weather resistant and relatively low maintenance.

So how does it shoot? The standard trigger has been adjusted to 2lb, breaks very nicely with a great feel. I have my stock 223 rem Tikka varmint with a yo dave trigger spring but I believe it is not a necessary addition. Recoil is dramatically reduced being of AICS weight, making spotting shots easier. It feels absolutely fantastic on the Atlas Bipod. The balance for offhand shots is great and having the features that the Viperskins bring is great. It is likely that a torch may find its way on the side of the Skins so that I can do some foxing with the rifle also. I also use a TAB Gear elite Biathlon sling which is fantastic for those 10+ kilometres stalks up and down hills and for positional shooting for competition. The Vortex FFP Mrad PST has served fantastically for the price but will likely get shuffled down to my 223 or sold because I would like to spoil myself with a Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56 or Steiner Tx5i 5-25x56, time will tell. It will not be sold because it doesn’t do exactly what it is asked.
In Future I’d like to run it off AW mags, for no other reason than it would make an awesome system just that little bit more special. But there is also an AI on the cards in future.

I am Happy to call Greg my friend and look forward to the future projects he is churning out for us guys. My mate cant wait to get his and he has some long action Tikka builds on the way too on top of hybrids for savage, winchester, howa, rem and more!!

For now ill leave you with the last group fired in the field measuring .442 moa with 155smk at 100yds

The cluster is the group fired, measured with my STS moa ruler

Have a great day, stay safe, from your Aussie brothers.

Last edited:
Very nice Tikka, who makes the bolt handle?

Nice mate, I have one of sterks titanium bolt shrouds and one of his titanium "pineapple" bolt handles too. I recently sold my Tikka for a few reason but no way I was letting them go so they're in the safe until I pick up another tikka down the track.

Are they planning on producing the chassis as a regular production item?

Where abouts in Aus are you? if you're in SEQ you're welcome to put my AI side by side with your Tikka and have a shoot sometime

Cheers

Andy

Nice mate, I have one of sterks titanium bolt shrouds and one of his titanium "pineapple" bolt handles too. I recently sold my Tikka for a few reason but no way I was letting them go so they're in the safe until I pick up another tikka down the track.

Are they planning on producing the chassis as a regular production item?

Where abouts in Aus are you? if you're in SEQ you're welcome to put my AI side by side with your Tikka and have a shoot sometime

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy

All of these are made currently outside of work hours, but that may change id anticipate. Plus Greg still gets them done very quickly considering they are done in his hobby time.

Located in SA, thanks for the offer if i ever head that way id love to have a shoot with you, conversely if you head down to SA feel free to let me know .

Beauty that AI you have, I cant wait to buy an AI.

Cheers mate i'm very happy with it,

I have some relatives down that way and lived down there for a little while (Posted to RAAF base Edinburgh) haven't been down there in several years now however

Thanks Andy

All of these are made currently outside of work hours, but that may change id anticipate. Plus Greg still gets them done very quickly considering they are done in his hobby time.

Located in SA, thanks for the offer if i ever head that way id love to have a shoot with you, conversely if you head down to SA feel free to let me know .

Beauty that AI you have, I cant wait to buy an AI.

Very nice looking rifle. My Tikka is sitting in a Roedale Precision RCSII chassis which works well, but if Greg can produce something like that, well then that's a fantastic local option to have. Given I waited 20 months for the RCS chassis, I'd be happy to wait 6 months for something like that here.

Very nice looking rifle. My Tikka is sitting in a Roedale Precision RCSII chassis which works well, but if Greg can produce something like that, well then that's a fantastic local option to have. Given I waited 20 months for the RCS chassis, I'd be happy to wait 6 months for something like that here.

If you think it would be 6 months you would be in for a mighty surprise, in a good way haha

Last edited:
Nice! I figured that it was a modified AICS, not a fully custom one.
Very cool.

how much does it weigh? Are you getting the same accuracy as I am, or better still?

I have yet to weigh it but around 7kg loaded with tab sling and the bipod.

Last pic was of my last group, shooting 155smk went .442 at 100yds, the rifle is regularly sub .5moa

Take a look at the end of my first post

I have yet to weigh it but around 7kg loaded with tab sling and the bipod.

Last pic was of my last group, shooting 155smk went .442 at 100yds, the rifle is regularly sub .5moa

Take a look at the end of my first post

Woops!

Yeah, there we go. Good shooting.
Im confident that my Tikka will perform as well when I have a finalized load for it.

Any bolt handle or shroud enquiries just PM me, i'm in Australia but have shipped them to all over the world (US, Canada, Finland, Norway, Sweden, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, France)

Sharpshooter, you & Greg should be proud of that rifle mate, fine looking machine. Love the country side in the picture to. Would be awesome if myself & my two boys could come down & get a fox or two with you.
Toni

A great looking Rifle..........Some nice looking background as well!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharpshooter, you & Greg should be proud of that rifle mate, fine looking machine. Love the country side in the picture to. Would be awesome if myself & my two boys could come down & get a fox or two with you.
Toni

Thanks Tony

SmoothOperator_87, that's looking excellent ! These tikka actions are just made to fit a v-block setup and the recoil lug setup seems to be working a treat, I think I might have to get one sorted for myself as well. If I can pick up a Tikka for the right price I think I'll have a play to try and use the AW mags as well, It would involve a little machining on the bottom of the action but it would make an excellent package.

IMG_2012.jpg

Yes you must get one!! You can open up mine to run aw mags if you like!!

I have been advised that opening up the action on the Tikka T3 is not recommended. Can you provide any insight as to whether the action has been weakened in any way, or what comments/advice you received from the fellow who did the work?

I have been advised that opening up the action on the Tikka T3 is not recommended. Can you provide any insight as to whether the action has been weakened in any way, or what comments/advice you received from the fellow who did the work?

hasn't been done yet, i doubt it would be detrimental, doesn't require much.

I haven't tried it yet and I'd do it on my own rifle first. As for weakening it, it does take metal out but not in any highly stressed area, only around the bottom of the original mag cutout. I haven't had a good look yet but will check it out this week. I did a Savage to fit the AW mags a month or so ago and it functions really well, it was just a skim of metal out of the bottom of the action to clear the double stack feed lips.

I haven't tried it yet and I'd do it on my own rifle first. As for weakening it, it does take metal out but not in any highly stressed area, only around the bottom of the original mag cutout. I haven't had a good look yet but will check it out this week. I did a Savage to fit the AW mags a month or so ago and it functions really well, it was just a skim of metal out of the bottom of the action to clear the double stack feed lips.

I'll follow this with interest then as I would be interested in doing this to my Tikka provided there are no structural integrity/reliability issues. Mine is a lefty too, not sure if that would make a difference.

I've tried to fit an AI 300 win mag magazine in a tikka. No more than extra .2 inch needed in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm making some stocks for the long action Tikkas at the moment. I moved the mag as far as I could to the rear and it'll cycle 300 WM snap caps, the mag is a touch longer than the cutout in the Tikka, the photos below were using an Accurate Mag 300WM magazine when I was dummying everything up. Here's the action with a dummy round loaded. You can see the mag requires a couple of slight mods to fit up into the action properly, a chamfer at the front and the feed lips trimmed back a mm or so to let the round pop out:

IMG_2213.jpg

and here it is compared to the bottom of the action:

IMG_2221.jpg

sitting in place, there's very little space between the rear of the mag and the trigger but I wanted to be able to use as much mag length as possible and not have to modify the action or trigger. That's the dummy chassis section made out of yellow plastic sitting next to it:

IMG_2219.jpg

There's plenty of space to load them a bit longer than the dummy 338 win mag round in the magazine. It shouldn't be a problem for pretty much any mag fed long action:

IMG_2217.jpg

There's a shorter bolt stop as well to let the bolt travel back far enough to pick up the round:

IMG_2222.jpg

This is an average length 300WM round:

IMG_2216.jpg

Here it is all bolted up:

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

And fitted up into my ugly old set of testing stocksides:

IMG_2209.jpg

Wow. Amazing project. I haven't figured out what I'd do with another bolt gun at the moment, but this project is really making me consider a Tikka in a varmint caliber to play around with. Great work.

Wow. Amazing project. I haven't figured out what I'd do with another bolt gun at the moment, but this project is really making me consider a Tikka in a varmint caliber to play around with. Great work.

Well worth it.

The finished result of these chassis is top class, the long action version is set to be a hit no doubt about it.

Makes me consider a 300win varmint utilising 208amax, would be a brilliant lr hunting combo

FYI there was a fellow who had minor issues with the CDI bottom metal not letting the magazine up high enough. CDI said the magazine doesn't have to sit way up there to feed. Anyone have a similar experience?

Also note that the tikka has a tenon length of almost 1 inch. Much longer than remington or winchester.

Hi Greg,

Ive got one of those new fangled T3 CTR's on order in .260, Ive got a good supply of AW mags, now when it arrives I'm coming down to see you !

Cheers,

Brian

If someone was keen and wanted to run to max mag length on the long action one you could bump a little out of the front of the action. I think I'd prefer to load them a touch shorter and not have to touch anything there though. There's no way to use the full length of the Ai/Accurate Mag 300WM magazines without machining something. If it was a one-off for myself I'd trim the front of the trigger back closer to the mounting screw and move the mag back a little more but that puts an end to a bolt in fit for anyone else. You'll see in the photos above where the front of the mag also needs a little chamfer to sit up where it need to be to feed.