• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Auto shutoff cars.....how stupid.

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
I had this post up and going on another forum. Interested in seeing the point of view from the inmates here.

So have the wives car today, and at a stop the car will turn itself off. I HATE THIS FEATURE. First off if you are like what I think most of us are, the car turning off at a stop is something that happened far too often in the junk boxes I bet a great deal of us drove. Foot on the gas, clutch and brake is something that can be done to keep that clapped out hunk of junk running. So when this stupid thing turns off my heart will skip a beat. Push the little "A" button and that garbage stops.

But when you do it will still tell you your "MPG as it was".

1683034929470.png

.2 gallons per hour. Now math has never been my strength but let me try to figure this all out.

.2 GPH, that will be 5 hours of idle for me to use $3.18 worth of gas. FIVE HOURS.
.2 of an hour is 12 minutes....i think.... So I will use .2 of a gal every 12 minutes....ok lets flow with that.

According to google the average US stoplight is between 45 and 120 seconds. So lets say one minute.

I am going to stop here as this is just making me more and more angry. This is stupid. What is the wear and tear on the battery and starter. And then the costs on said battery and starter. All to save less gas then I spill when I fill up the lawn mower.

Go read about why this happened. Nobody is trying to save you any fuel.

The landmark achievement of the Barack Obama senate period was a bill designed to make you drive a prius. It brought on such hits as the particulate filter and DEF.

It created a law where each year the auto manufacturers are required to increase their collective mpg on the total of vehicles sold. It's goal is to eventually make it impossible to sell a truck of any kind, and we are getting close.

The EPA test for city mpg is a driving course where the vehicle is sitting parked for about 65% of the test. This auto shutoff is designed to give them max mpg for the test, and that is all. Thanks Obama

I can't get past it, being taught from "the old school" that starting an engine is one of the worst things you can do to it.
(granted, it's nowhere as bad as a cold oil leaked down start)

The other thing I wonder about is the starters? How often do you need to change them? They were a pain in the ass to change when you could get to them. Now, you have to half dissemble the car and pull the engine half way out.
(and if they're making them extra durable to withstand this extra use, they should be making them all like that)

sounds perfect for Ca or portland even chicago you get 5 miles then the car shuts off for a week by the time you get back it's just a frame on cinder blocks or the ground cinder blocks can be hard to come by .

• Haha
Reactions: Cowpokey
I can't get past it, being taught from "the old school" that starting an engine is one of the worst things you can do to it.
(granted, it's nowhere as bad as a cold oil leaked down start)

The other thing I wonder about is the starters? How often do you need to change them? They were a pain in the ass to change when you could get to them. Now, you have to half dissemble the car and pull the engine half way out.
(and if they're making them extra durable to withstand this extra use, they should be making them all like that)

This is where I come from, and the costs on the batteries and starters are just insane. Not even getting into the you are not suppose to work on your own cars anymore.

I do understand the why's and how's as well as how to kill the features, I was not really commenting on that. Just commenting on me as an old dude needing three feet to keep that POS of my youth running and the first thing that pops into my mind when it dies.

Reactions: Slash0311
My sisters car has it and you can shut it off, but it's not a shut it off and it stays off thing, you have to do it every time. To make matters worse, they buried it in the touch screen system, so it's several steps just to get to it to turn it off.

• Angry
Reactions: Slash0311
My wife's old car did it, but it was turn off/stay off. She totaled that car and the 3 year newer model has it. It can be turned off, but resumes when the car is started the next time.

Another DC idea forced on the population for the sake of buying votes without consideration of the validity of the idea in the real world.

The rules in Europe already tightened to the point that if you are not making a large amount of EVs or plug in Hybrids, you have to pay Tesla tons of money to avoid ruinous fines.

If you read the latest B.S. that the Xiden folks are putting out, that's what they want to happen here soon.

Which essentially is the end of "affordable vehicles".

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
That shit is a joke. I rented a car and they were excited to give me the upgrade I did not want. I told them a BMW is not an upgrade. This POS shut off at every stop sign and the shifter was a little joystick looking thing designed by a feminine man.

I bought this:

Your vehicle will "remember" the state you put the AutoStop in, in my case disabled.

Reactions: Cowpokey
Could this be technology used to limit use of the vehicle? Imagine you don't have enough digital credits to travel outside a certain distance so the vehicle shuts off. A preselected zone is okay, go outside this itinerary and G5 prohibits this travel.

The Toyota corolla I drove this weekend had that...If I didn't stomp on the brake at a stop the engine would continue to run. Turning off the big TV on the dash was a pain...several button pushes into the settings.

There’s an aftermarket bypass option you can install.

I 10000% agree the Auto Off it is a PITA? But...

I looked at that on my 2021 Z71. It is a major project. You have to take the center dash apart, remove the center console, to install the module on the switch.
Then what happens when you take it to the dealer for warranty service?

Could this be technology used to limit use of the vehicle? Imagine you don't have enough digital credits to travel outside a certain distance so the vehicle shuts off. A preselected zone is okay, go outside this itinerary and G5 prohibits this travel.
Yeah, Mine are 2021 wranglers and they ping FCA/Jeep with current mileage or trouble codes - they probably upload your driving habits (speed in my case). Toyota I was wheeling with did the same thing, he was off camber and his oil sump/sensor was probably reporting faulty pressures. They actually called him while we were on Imogene pass. I think his was a 20 or 21.

I know it's hard to push the button to stop it.

However, the starters are built like tanks because of it. Wife's new traverse has a much bigger starter than the old one.

So if you don't use it, you'll never need to buy a starter.

How many of you replace starters anyways? My older trucks made it past 200k before they needed one.

I looked at that on my 2021 Z71. It is a major project. You have to take the center dash apart, remove the center console, to install the module on the switch.

That takes about an hour with proper tools.

I can't believe how easy it is to gut the interiors now. Takes me about 15 minutes to have the front seats out and the radio.

I had this post up and going on another forum. Interested in seeing the point of view from the inmates here.

So have the wives car today, and at a stop the car will turn itself off. I HATE THIS FEATURE. First off if you are like what I think most of us are, the car turning off at a stop is something that happened far too often in the junk boxes I bet a great deal of us drove. Foot on the gas, clutch and brake is something that can be done to keep that clapped out hunk of junk running. So when this stupid thing turns off my heart will skip a beat. Push the little "A" button and that garbage stops.

But when you do it will still tell you your "MPG as it was".

View attachment 8132920

.2 gallons per hour. Now math has never been my strength but let me try to figure this all out.

.2 GPH, that will be 5 hours of idle for me to use $3.18 worth of gas. FIVE HOURS.
.2 of an hour is 12 minutes....i think.... So I will use .2 of a gal every 12 minutes....ok lets flow with that.

According to google the average US stoplight is between 45 and 120 seconds. So lets say one minute.

I am going to stop here as this is just making me more and more angry. This is stupid. What is the wear and tear on the battery and starter. And then the costs on said battery and starter. All to save less gas then I spill when I fill up the lawn mower.

Let me introduce you to EGR and DEF on new diesels.
Its an exercise in how to destroy fuel efficiency.

Reactions: BurtG and BLEE
The rules in Europe already tightened to the point that if you are not making a large amount of EVs or plug in Hybrids, you have to pay Tesla tons of money to avoid ruinous fines.

If you read the latest B.S. that the Xiden folks are putting out, that's what they want to happen here soon.

Which is an end to the "masses" being able to travel unimpeded.
You know.....them sovereign citizens are starting to make a lot of sense......

You don't tell them you did it.

Reactions: Maggot
My wife inherited a Cadillac suv with it. Drives me absolutely crazy everytime I drive it. Can't turn it off, have to get an aftermarket mod. Chimes at me while I'm driving for God knows why.

I drive a 2002 F250 manual super duty and will probably never buy a new vehicle because of all the stupid shit they put on them. Yeah, some of the luxuries are nice, but not at the expense of my vehicle trying to drive for me, and enabling the social credit morons to keep track of me and my driving habits.

All thanks to our wonderful govt and the EPA. It theory it will boost the gas mileage aver by .0000001 % so the manf fail in line and put this shit in our cars.

The Toyota corolla I drove this weekend had that...If I didn't stomp on the brake at a stop the engine would continue to run. Turning off the big TV on the dash was a pain...several button pushes into the settings.
I have a 2022 Corolla hybrid. It does sht off but the engine is so smoothe you dont notice it. No lag at all when you step on the gas, smooth as silk and 54 mpg...in warm weather.

Reactions: Gemsbok
Let me introduce you to EGR and DEF on new diesels.
Its an exercise in how to destroy fuel efficiency.
Gunna remove both off my 2013 6.7 powerstroke when i get home. Next mod will be replacing the cp4 with a duel valve aftermarket that won’t shit the bed after a drunk night of taco bell and regret.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
I remember having to do all kinds of stuff to prevent my beatermobile from shutting off at a stop light. Push in the clutch, heel on the brake pedal, grab the parking brake, toe on the accelerator and don't stop wiggling your toes until the light turns green, then reverse the process. I was pretty much broke back then though. Oh wait - I still am.

Happened to see a Tesla Model S battery pack for sale on Ebay last night. 70 pounds, over $2000. Contains 444 individual 18650 flashlight cells per pack. And the car's battery compartment consists of 4 such packs. That is a lot of 18650s for no good reason at all when a gasoline or gas/electric hybrid can get the job done much easier.

I say to "save fuel"...we install this auto shut off feature on ALL lear jets too....

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
I didn't buy a Honda Accord because of this. The car was a 6cyl, It would also cut off 3 cylinders when the computer thought you didn't need it. With all of the crazy assholes on I-95, I need a full-time 6 cylinder motor not some gas sipping computerized bullshit.

They are getting rid of those as well along with all of the other good gas-powered lawn equipment.
Read an article about that at lunch.

Will the stupidity ever end, don't bother answering I know.

I didn't buy a Honda Accord because of this. The car was a 6cyl, It would also cut off 3 cylinders when the computer thought you didn't need it. With all of the crazy assholes on I-95, I need a full-time 6 cylinder motor not some gas sipping computerized bullshit.

You honestly wouldn’t notice the reduction on I-95.

My Camaro goes to 4 cylinders when cruising I-95 and I never notice it.

I bought this:

Your vehicle will "remember" the state you put the AutoStop in, in my case disabled.
$100 for a feature to disable a feature nobody ever wanted. We have peaked as a people.

Not a car guy but this seems to me like it's going to eat starters like a fat kid eating ice cream on a hot day. Imagine how many times its going to have to spin up when your stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and inching your way forward...

My wife inherited a Cadillac suv with it. Drives me absolutely crazy everytime I drive it. Can't turn it off, have to get an aftermarket mod. Chimes at me while I'm driving for God knows why.

I drive a 2002 F250 manual super duty and will probably never buy a new vehicle because of all the stupid shit they put on them. Yeah, some of the luxuries are nice, but not at the expense of my vehicle trying to drive for me, and enabling the social credit morons to keep track of me and my driving habits.

You can shut it off.

There should be an owners manual in the glovebox. Try reading it.

Not a car guy but this seems to me like it's going to eat starters like a fat kid eating ice cream on a hot day. Imagine how many times its going to have to spin up when your stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and inching your way forward...

All the GM cars I've had with it, there's a button to disable it. Or if it's hot turn the AC to max and it won't ever shut off.

They don't eat starters. They have beefed them up to handle it.

I feel like most of you are yelling at the sky for being blue most days.

You honestly wouldn’t notice the reduction on I-95.

My Camaro goes to 4 cylinders when cruising I-95 and I never notice it.
I do alot of passing of slower vehicles. Avg. speed where I live here in Connecticut is about 80 mph constant 😳. That's ofcourse the high-speed lane. It's crazy driving. You only have two lanes. If you're driving in the low speed lane you are constantly passing others, that's where the power is needed.

That's where having a hybrid really helps as then the motor never needs to spin up for start and stop traffic until you run out of battery.

I've always thought it was a stupid a%$ gimmick. I've had two vehicles with that feature and I shut the sh$t off. It takes more fuel to start a car, then to let it run for 15-20 seconds.
Mac

Don't forget the wear on the starter and load on the battery. It's a dumb feature and once one company did it, they all had to copy. Here is So-Cal between the morons on their phone and this auto stop BS cars lag from leaving the light. I feel like a NY cab driver most days honking at every moron in front of me that doesn't move for the green light.

While I don't like the feature, on the vehicles we have with the feature, there's not much lag. If a guy is slow on the red to green, it's not the ESS.
If you have eTorque (a big starter/alternator) you almost don't feel it. Without eTorque, you know it's happening.

What does suck is while the starter will last forever (if you disable ESS) - some vehicles have a second/smaller battery that won't last forever. So, for a lot of people, that's an additional service call. There is a fuse to pull (and cable to second battery) that disconnects the second battery and tosses NO codes, that's what I'll do down the road if it throws a CEL.

We live in the most successful, most advanced society, the planet has ever seen... it happened in a little over 200 years

Now at the pinnacle, we're doing everything we can to cut ourselves off at the knees 🙄

Reactions: BurtG and BLEE
This is pretty similar to the 'automatic high beams'. The high beams come on when no other cars are detected ahead of you (which, of course, fails to register properly when driving on hills or in the fog). My previous car had the ability to shut this off permanently, turning the high beams to classic manual operation. My new car requires the automatic feature to be shut off every time the car is started. Likewise for the 'lane-keeper' feature (steering wheel wiggles and attempts to correct the car when you change lanes). Previous car had the ability to turn this off with a switch. New car doesn't care about the switch. And even if you use turn signals when changing lanes, the steering wheel will sometimes lock up when changing lanes on the freeway... which is a great way to suddenly snap to 100% mental focus. Sometimes cracks in the road set off the sensor, and the car will start having seizures trying to figure out what to do.

This is pretty similar to the 'automatic high beams'. The high beams come on when no other cars are detected ahead of you (which, of course, fails to register properly when driving on hills or in the fog). My previous car had the ability to shut this off permanently, turning the high beams to classic manual operation. My new car requires the automatic feature to be shut off every time the car is started. Likewise for the 'lane-keeper' feature (steering wheel wiggles and attempts to correct the car when you change lanes). Previous car had the ability to turn this off with a switch. New car doesn't care about the switch. And even if you use turn signals when changing lanes, the steering wheel will sometimes lock up when changing lanes on the freeway... which is a great way to suddenly snap to 100% mental focus. Sometimes cracks in the road set off the sensor, and the car will start having seizures trying to figure out what to do.
It’s probably buried in a menu somewhere, but all of that should be capable of being disabled. Dig into the manual. I would be stunned if it’s not, and would like to know what car it is to never consider one. Ever.

Reactions: hollowoutadime