• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Automobile safe

counterfietgodz

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2011
I am in need of a small lock box or safe that could potentially fit under the seat of my truck. I have an '04 F250 super duty and I generally carry a Glock 19 for CCW. The problem I have is that very regularly I enter public building such as court houses and cannot bring it in with me. This makes it necessarily for me to leave it in my vehicle. Does anyone have a suggestion on what safe would be best?

Re: Automobile safe

Is this necessary? I'm just thinking if it's a "small" lock-box someone will steal the whole thing. I would just lock my truck and have the serial number recorded somewhere in case it is ever stolen.

I guess there is the safety feature of it but for that you could just use a relatively cheap metal box with lock.

Just my opinion

I don't get it: In that case if they want the gun, and if they are determined to commit a felony anyway, why wouldn't they just steal the truck?
laugh.gif

Wouldn't that be easier and quicker than breaking into a locked box in a courthouse parking lot? And that way they get the gun, the truck, and a way to make off with all of it.
wink.gif

What about cable the gun to the car seat? Through the trigger guard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get it: In that case if they want the gun, and if they are determined to commit a felony anyway, why wouldn't they just steal the truck?
laugh.gif

Wouldn't that not be easier and quicker than breaking into the box in the courthouse parking lot? And that way they get the gun, the truck, and a way to make off with all of it.
wink.gif
</div></div>

+1 on the gun being the least of your worries at that point.

Maybe better than a safe would be to find a way to "hide it in plain sight". I've often toyed with the idea of "altering" my drivers seat so I could securely tuck a gun up under the seat- in a way that you would either have to know its there, or remove the seat to find it.
Also
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve1212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... and have the serial number recorded somewhere in case it is ever stolen.
</div></div>

Good idea for every gun you own... Personally all my SN's are recorded in my computer, in the guns owners manuals in my desk, and a list of them at my parents house.

I have a nanovault in each of my cars, and I have had my car broken into, they took everything that wasnt fastened down, but couldnt rip the vault out. The cable connects around the the base of the seat.

Yeah, someone with enough time and tools can get it, but the nano fits under and doesntbang around or catch when you move the seat. You can pick them up for under $30 on the bay.

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html/

the person stealing the car and the one going after contents are 2 different entities; the one who is going to take the car will usually be more sophisticated and better equipped, but they will not be searching the car until maybe before turning it over to the chopper

the one going after contents is usually bare handed, breaking a window with a rock or brick so even a simple lock box like the ammo case w padlock mentioned above would foil a theft, I would bolt it through the floor so it could not be slid out under the seat where a crack head could more easily go at it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a nanovault in each of my cars, and I have had my car broken into, they took everything that wasnt fastened down, but couldnt rip the vault out. The cable connects around the the base of the seat.

Yeah, someone with enough time and tools can get it, but the nano fits under and doesntbang around or catch when you move the seat. You can pick them up for under $30 on the bay.

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html/ </div></div>

+1. This is what I use. I've been happy with it.

i have seen plenty of small safes that have a cable coming out that you can loop around anything solid. have them at cabellas and the like.

First post -- hello all.

+1 for the NanoVault - I have one and love it. Girth hitch the security cable around your seat frame, and lock the box when you need to. combination, key and biometric versions available. Have used it to stash my carry gun in the situation described (stop @ courthouse, daycare, etc), cash, a friend's jewelry, etc. I put some felt padding on one side, and it fits perfectly between the seat and console, and doesn't cause a problem when adjusting the seat because the felt allows it to slide along the console by reducing the friction. No, it won't stop a determined thief; but is a quick deterrent,and allows me to secure valuables temporarily.

I've experienced the smash and grab. Yes if someone steals the whole rig its a moot point, but your average p.o.s. grabs what they can see as fast as they can. Keep it out of sight foremost, and secure the vault/lockbox, preferably with bolts thru the floor, 1/4" steel cable can be cut with a serrated blade fairly quick, if they find your vault/lockbox they will probably try like hell to get at the contents because whatever it is, is worth protecting. Never let anyone see you doing anything with the vault, people talk, rumors spread, next thing you know the kid on the corner thinks you carry gold bars or kilos in a box under your seat and your buying a side window every monday.

My '94 Chevy I used to own had a zipper on the back of the seat....

Just an idea...

The Nano-Vault thing works great for your intended purpose. I've also used mine for the "locking case" requirement when flying with a handgun. Then I have a way to keep it reasonably secure in a rental car too.

Don't recommend cabling thru the trigger guard on a Glock!

Get one of the small safes cabled to the seat, your trying to make it hard for the smash and grab, not build something foolproof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageSteve10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about cable the gun to the car seat? Through the trigger guard. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Olivers_AR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't recommend cabling thru the trigger guard on a Glock!

</div></div>

Don't recommend carrying a Glock either! (Personally I do not believe you should not carry a gun that you can't double strike a round if needed- because there is no ammo manufacture has had a 0% FTF history- hence one reason I carry Sigs, But that's just MHO).

Back to your topic- Like I and others said, Completely out of sight is probably a better set up than a micro-safe that is visible. Micro-safe completely out of sight is probably best. Out of Sight, I believe, Is the key.

i have a big suv and recently figured out a solution to the same problem. i already had a small gang box for job sites and took it to a friends welding shop. he cut out one end and extended it to the same width as the suburban. then i took 2x6s and cut grooves for each rifle to sit and on the inside of the lid i mounted a small version of the door holsters like inside a safe door. drilled two holes in the bottom and used allthread to bolt it down where the old tie down straps where.now i can fit several rifles and pistols in there securely, its like a mini truck safe. it fits everything but the 50bmg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't recommend carrying a Glock either! (Personally I do not believe you should not carry a gun that you can't double strike a round if needed- because there is no ammo manufacture has had a 0% FTF history- hence one reason I carry Sigs, But that's just MHO).

</div></div>

Thanks for your opinion!
It has been noted, and totally ignored.
grin.gif

Tap, Rack Bang, I would rather take my chances with a new round than fight a bad round, if I double strike it and it still doesn't work, I'm back to where I started.

Same goes with Failure to Eject, you still need to clear the weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG700</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Olivers_AR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't recommend cabling thru the trigger guard on a Glock!

</div></div>

Don't recommend carrying a Glock either! (Personally I do not believe you should not carry a gun that you can't double strike a round if needed- because there is no ammo manufacture has had a 0% FTF history- hence one reason I carry Sigs, But that's just MHO).

Back to your topic- Like I and others said, Completely out of sight is probably a better set up than a micro-safe that is visible. Micro-safe completely out of sight is probably best. Out of Sight, I believe, Is the key. </div></div>

Ditto on the Nanovault. It is a simple, well built product. and unlike other options, you can move it from vehicle to vehicle or house to hotel; you don't have to drill holes in your vehicle to secure it.

I installed a lock box under the seat in my jeep. It bolted down with the seat bracket bolts right to the floor. Also it came with a cable lock if you wanted to keep it with you.
Yery nice for just fifty bucks.

Try this out www.consolevault.com these are very well made and they bolt down to your floor board tunnle of your vehicle. These would be extremely difficult to remove even with the right tools.