• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Autotrickler v3 or dual chargemaster?

Mnash

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2018
My biggest complaint with my current loading setup is that throwing powder just takes too long. I'm using a chargemaster with all the mods but it still takes about 30 seconds each charge. Looking to upgrade that, primarily for speed, but not sure if I should just get another chargemaster (hit me up if you have one for sale) or if I should just go all out on the autotrickler v3 with the fx120i. I'm already getting single digit SD's and alot of the time single digit ES's or close to it at least, is there anything to be gained accuracy wise? I know theoretically there is. which set up would be quicker? Is it worth it to upgrade or am I better off just doubling down. Thanks for your opinions!

Auto trickler all the way.

They throw in under 10 seconds or so.

I am currently listing over one right now but damn they are high when you want to splurge on an AMP too.

Mnash, I’m in the same boat. Throwing charges of H4350 with an RCBS chargmaster (with the mods etc.) then dumping the charges onto my Redding beam scale which Scott Parker tuned up (holy cow is that scale accurate)! After I trickle the charges on the beam scale I dump the charges into glass test tubes with caps, then store them in the test tube racks (50 tubes in a rack).

I load for precision rifle this way because I’m loading on a Dillon 650 with floating die tool heads (runout is .001” max with the floating die tool heads). I just use a Dillon powder funnel die for the powder drop station. With this method last time I chronoed with the lab radar my ES and SD are both single digits.

This past Sunday I loaded 200 of my 6.5 Creedmoor rounds, prepped cases go in the case feeder, primers in the press, manually dumping a test tube of powder, and manually placing a bullet on station 4. Took 35 minutes to assemble the 200 rounds.

Brass prep takes 2 additional tool heads and of course the measuring of the powder drops and the annealing is all done off the press, which take time. But like you I would love to shed the 2.5 to 3 hours of measuring powder drops for 200 rounds...... Personally I’m going to go with the Autothrow/trickled v3, pony up the 940.00 and just get it done.

Also keep in mind I have way more test tubes than cases, so after I loaded my 200 rounds, since I had all the scales etc setup, I’ve already spent the additional 3 hours to drop and trickle 200 more test tubes, I’m ready for the next reloading session. In other words you can drop powder in advance, more when you have time.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 6C12F69F-5D35-41F5-BCA3-5461869EE83A.jpeg
    6C12F69F-5D35-41F5-BCA3-5461869EE83A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Mnash, I’m in the same boat. Throwing charges of H4350 with an RCBS chargmaster (with the mods etc.) then dumping the charges onto my Redding beam scale which Scott Parker tuned up (holy cow is that scale accurate)! After I trickle the charges on the beam scale I dump the charges into glass test tubes with caps, then store them in the test tube racks (50 tubes in a rack).

I load for precision rifle this way because I’m loading on a Dillon 650 with floating die tool heads (runout is .001” max with the floating die tool heads). I just use a Dillon folder funnel die for the powder drop station. With this method last time I chronoed with the lab radar my ES and SD are both single digits.

This past Sunday I loaded 200 of my 6.5 Creedmoor rounds, prepped cases go in the case feeder, primers in the press, manually dumping a test tube of powder, and manually placing a bullet on station 4. Took 35 minutes to assemble the 200 rounds.

Brass prep takes 2 additional tool heads and of course the measuring of the powder drops and the annealing is all done off the press, which take time. But like you I would love to shed the 2.5 to 3 hours of measuring powder drops for 200 rounds...... Personally I’m going to go with the Autothrow/trickled v3, pony up the 940.00 and just get it done.

Also keep in mind I have way more test tubes than cases, so after I loaded my 200 rounds, since I had all the scales etc setup, I’ve already spent the additional 3 hours to drop and trickle 200 more test tubes, I’m ready for the next reloading session. In other words you can drop powder in advance, more when you have time.

Hope this helps.

Lol you must love reloading... That is rediculously tedious for very marginal gains on target for practical shooting. Do you shoot competition bench rest?

Lol you must love reloading... That is rediculously tedious for very marginal gains on target for practical shooting. Do you shoot competition bench rest?

Nobody shoots 6.5 CM in benchrest, and most short range benchresters are dropping charges or weighing on a CM. Their nodes are a mile wide relative to the long range folks.

OP - Like the others have said, I'd go with a FX120i w/ the Auto Throw/Auto Trickle. With most powders, it can be setup to throw a charge and be within .02gr around/under 10 seconds. I don't know about you, but I find it difficult to keep up with while seating.

The two chargemaster setup will probably come close to it in terms of speed, but here's the problem...you have two 'consumer grade' strain-gauge scales that under ideal circumstances will be throwing ~20% of their measured loads off by as much .15gr while the readout shows it as being 'perfect'. This is compounded by the fact that both won't be calibrated the same, so you'll probably see a greater variation.

This won't matter if you're shooting at ~400 yards, but it will start to matter if you're shooting out at 1,000 plus.

In addition, the Chargemaster setup will be prone to drift that the FX120i won't.

If you can wait for the ship times, the V3 does ball powder too I believe...that's pretty nifty.

Last edited:
Husky..... not a bench rest shooter, just a 35+ year reloader who I believe is a little bit anal with stuff..... LOL Also I’m just starting out in this long range game.

Everything MikeMcCasland mentioned above is spot on! Hence why I’ll be moving on up to the v3 Autotrickler from the Chargemaster and beam scale setup. At this point in life I want the repeatable accuracy and the speed..... my time is valuable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutter
ill be selling my chargemaster, have the v3 on order and already have the loaded a&d
the chargemaster just takes too long for me, although a fellow shooter uses 2 chargemasters and seems to get the job done pretty fast
my chargemaster is a year old and has the insert if youre interested, it will be available as soon as my v3 arrives

As everyone else has stated, the Chargemaster will get the job done within a decent range of precision. However, the auto throw and trickler just makes everything faster and more precise. If you can afford to, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Having 2 kids at home makes the initial investment a no brainer with the time savings I experienced.

Autotrickler. This is a no brainer.

jetsurgeon - I like the test tube idea!

Have had the Fx-120i in the box a few months now. My
Fourth-of-July-Gif-Images.gif
purchase was made a few hours ago:

Order Confirmation Print Receipt Thanks for placing your order, you should receive a confirmation email shortly.
ORDER DATE
July 4th 2019, 12:50 pm
ORDER NUMBER
134188XXX

SHIPPING METHOD
Canada Post USA (5 days) -- $19.50
PAYMENT METHOD
Mastercard ending in 9544 (Exp. 10/2022)

ORDER SUMMARY
V3 AutoTrickler & AutoThrow for A&D
Qty: 1
$490.00
Subtotal $490.00
Shipping $19.50
Taxes $0.00
Order Total
$509.50

ORDER NOTES
Shipping Address is my Place of Employment.

I can't stop smiling.

I ordered my complete Autotrickler v3 setup this past Monday..... Smiling as well, I can't wait till it gets here.

I load for precision rifle this way because I’m loading on a Dillon 650 with floating die tool heads (runout is .001” max with the floating die tool heads). I just use a Dillon powder funnel die for the powder drop station. With this method last time I chronoed with the lab radar my ES and SD are both single digits.

Hope this helps.

If I knew doing all that would make better ammo I would do it as well. As it stands I am getting sub 5 FPS SD using my Chargemaster Lite with the straw mod. Not really sure how much better it needs to be. At some point the "diminishing returns" principle comes into effect.

My gd Chargemaster took a dump yesterday. It stays on zero just fine but when I go to calibrate it, it will never settle at the 100g weight. It did settle ONCE. After that it stays on zero just fine, but as soon as I add weight, the pan by itself and/or powder, it will never settle. Sometimes it goes way up, then way down, just constantly moving. I've used it for a good year (bought used so warranty is long gone) and it just started acting up yesterday. I'm going to mess with it some more this week and if it's still crapped out, I'll be moving on.

If I knew doing all that would make better ammo I would do it as well. As it stands I am getting sub 5 FPS SD using my Chargemaster Lite with the straw mod. Not really sure how much better it needs to be. At some point the "diminishing returns" principle comes into effect.

Everyone I know that reloads for LD purchased a CMlite knowing that they would get consistent metering down to 0.02gr and single digit midget SDs. And it doesn't take the integral f(x) by separation of parts to figure out why.

tenor.gif

Reactions: BigBlastin300win

What's your ES?

20 plus years of reloading with beam scales, tunneled beam scales, Harrells powder measure, knock off Harrells powder measure, charge masters, tuned modified charge master, and multiple tuned charge masters all to learn one thing. All roads lead to Rome, all reloading leads to the Auto trickle.

20 plus years of reloading with beam scales, tunneled beam scales, Harrells powder measure, knock off Harrells powder measure, charge masters, tuned modified charge master, and multiple tuned charge masters all to learn one thing. All roads lead to Rome, all reloading leads to the Auto trickle.

Truth.

I also loaded on 2 CM for years with single digits SD's. Its not just the accuracy, its the speed that is huge for me. Its night and day going from a CM to a A&D/AutoTrickler setup speed wise. The additional accuracy is just another +. I am about to purchase a second A&D/AutoTrickler setup to run 2 at a time.;)

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
Have had the Fx-120i in the box a few months now. My
Fourth-of-July-Gif-Images.gif
purchase was made a few hours ago:

Order Confirmation Print Receipt Thanks for placing your order, you should receive a confirmation email shortly.
ORDER DATE
July 4th 2019, 12:50 pm
ORDER NUMBER
134188XXX

SHIPPING METHOD
Canada Post USA (5 days) -- $19.50
PAYMENT METHOD
Mastercard ending in 9544 (Exp. 10/2022)

ORDER SUMMARY
V3 AutoTrickler & AutoThrow for A&D
Qty: 1
$490.00
Subtotal $490.00
Shipping $19.50
Taxes $0.00
Order Total
$509.50

ORDER NOTES
Shipping Address is my Place of Employment.

I can't stop smiling.
That's a really good real. I'm waiting for my V3, was told delivery would be around August, and paid around $900.

I got "the whole kit"
A&D FX-120i ScaleFX-120i electronics (Bluetooth) Apple & Android Store
trickler assembly
powder measure assembly tray holder
new powder measure "straw" attachment
3 trickler pulley belts
100 Gram calibration

Last edited:
Reactions: oldfatguy
Is there a preferred vender on the Hide or elsewhere to source the 120i scale.... autotrickler.com for the V3 referenced.. CE Products (Cambridge Environmental): $450 (with discount code)
Data Weighing Systems: $475

If I needed both the scale and the autotrickler... suggestion for sourcing?

CE Products has the complete kit.

Reactions: oldfatguy
I ordered the full set up from CE yesterday. Anyone have any idea as to the timeframe for delivery?

Mines been on back order for a couple months ago from CE. Just got confirmation yesterday that it will be shipped.
Happy days!

Where is a good source of info on setup, use and tips/tricks?

I really do want a FX120i with all the trimmings, but it's just not in the funds for me at this moment. My Chargemaster holds me over and I don't mind the time it takes to throw as I use this time to escape from a wife and a screaming toddler. Plus, I get to watch a full episode of Orange is the New Black since it takes longer.

Reactions: Rutter
Wait till you see how fast & Accurate the new chargemaster is ?

Then you’ll be able to maybe pick up the older chargemaster for cheap.
I keep seeing teasers for this new RCBS and all but really when are we going to see it for sale and what’s the price going to be. I hate to hold off for this and it end up being a year to a year and a half wait like it has been on other things in the past like the Burris XTR 3 scope. I see the teasers and it does look very promising, yet the idea of waiting I might just finish out waiting on my V3. Seeing that people are starting to get these already.

Reactions: trophyhunter
IF you have the coin for the V3 FX I wouldn’t hesitate. It works great. I started with the chargemaster then upgraded to the FX Trickler V3, then recently jumped on the ADM from Jimmie Todd. The scale over all is tits, you can’t go wrong with it.

Reactions: Darkside-Six

Hope this helps.
Love the test tube idea. What size test tubes do you use?

I looked up my order for the test tubes, let me cut and paste.....

I ordered:
220F116x100mm Test Tubes, Borosilicate Glass, Round Btm, 10ml Vol, Karter Scientific 220F1 (Case 1000)$31.50

And for the caps:

95A11Test Tube Cap, Thumb Type, 16mm, Grey, Karter Scientific 95A11 (Case 1000)$20.42

Shipping was $27.78, those 1000 glass tubes are heavy and in a large box...... So the total shipped was: $77.23 for 1000 tubes and caps.

I didn't need all 1000 tubes so I sold a few hundred off for my cost to another Hide member.

------------------------

The test tube racks I got off of Amazon, turns out they are from the same place I got the tubes from above.....

$5.50 for a 15/17mm rack with 50 positions.....

-------------

Here's a thread we talked about this already, I've slightly modified my trimming procedure since, but you will get the idea, also photos are there for the tubes.....

Since then I have upgraded to the AutoTrickler V3 and love it!

Hope this helps.....
Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Graye2
Coming from someone that just upgraded to the V3 over the 2 chargemaster s I was using I’ll defiantly say the V3 is well worth it!!

I ran dual chargemaster for years and had them pretty tweaked and running fast. Decided to purchase the V3 with the A&D scale and it is much more consistent. For years I always thought that the chargemaster were “good enough” and I did have great loads with them but once I really started double checking my charge weights on better scales I realized they could be off by more than I thought.
the V3 is very accurate and very fast. Well worth the money.

I looked up my order for the test tubes, let me cut and paste.....

I ordered:
220F116x100mm Test Tubes, Borosilicate Glass, Round Btm, 10ml Vol, Karter Scientific 220F1 (Case 1000)$31.50

And for the caps:

95A11Test Tube Cap, Thumb Type, 16mm, Grey, Karter Scientific 95A11 (Case 1000)$20.42

Shipping was $27.78, those 1000 glass tubes are heavy and in a large box...... So the total shipped was: $77.23 for 1000 tubes and caps.

I didn't need all 1000 tubes so I sold a few hundred off for my cost to another Hide member.

------------------------

The test tube racks I got off of Amazon, turns out they are from the same place I got the tubes from above.....

$5.50 for a 15/17mm rack with 50 positions.....

-------------

Here's a thread we talked about this already, I've slightly modified my trimming procedure since, but you will get the idea, also photos are there for the tubes.....

Since then I have upgraded to the AutoTrickler V3 and love it!

Hope this helps.....
Jeff
It does indeed. Thanks!

CE Products has the complete kit.

This is what you want.

OFG

I once came across a thread on discussing the science or technology behind how each scale makes their calculations... and why the A&D / autotrickle was better than the RCBS. Can someone explain that here or point me to where it's discussed? I already bought mine (11 th in line now :) --but I can't find it for a friend who was debating what to buy.

Strain Gauge is never a #WeeBitBetter over time.
#Anyone working in the Nuclear Power Industry with Germanium Detectors would calmly say,
"It doesn't take the Integral f(x) by Separation of Parts to figure that shit out."
Now, go measure the liquid nitrogen in your dewar...
and see if you actually have till Monday for a refill, tech.

After 25 years of reloading , I've learned one thing. The FX -120i + Autotrickler is the single best purchase you can make for reloading.

Reactions: NiteQwill
I had 4 chargemasters and absolutely loved them. Was talked into buying a autotrickler. I would trade back for 4 chargemasters today

I had 4 chargemasters and absolutely loved them. Was talked into buying a autotrickler. I would trade back for 4 chargemasters today
It doesn't take the integral f(x) by separation of parts to figure out that you're doing it wrong.

BTW, have you gone to the Doctor for that defective gene?

Reactions: jetsurgeon