• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Available Actions for 300 Norma Magnum Rifle

WT1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Considering a build of a 300 Norma Magnum hunting and light tactical rifle. Any recommendations on the best action? Would like to be able to shoulder and carry the rifle through hilly and steep terrain so not looking for the heaviest action.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

When you use a Surgeon 1086 for a 300 Norma, do you increase the tenon thread diameter or leave it at 1-1/16"?
Only the XL action has a bigger tenon diameter,but way to heavy for your application.
Stiller Tac 338,defiance deviant Hunter would be your best bet if you want a larger diameter thread and still keep the weight down.

I would recommend using a purpose built action from one of several quality action manufacturers with a bolt diameter and bolt face suited to the base .416 Rigby size case head.

.300 Norma Mag built on a branded Defiance action with 0.750" bolt body diameter.
20171126_162656.jpg

Last edited:
At this point the only known component will likely be a Krieger branded barrel, a Krieger Palma Remington varmint contour at 4.5 lbs https://kriegerbarrels.com/boltorder?se=kbiprod with fluting, which should remove about 10 ounces of weight, using a 1 in 8 twist based on the article by Todd Hodnett as described partially here: http://www.accuracy1stdg.com/content/docs/binder7.pdf

Stiller has a TAC 338 action that weighs in at 2lbs, which isn't bad.
Don’t forget you will need the 1.300-1.350” diameter barrel if you use a dedicated action.

Reactions: WT1
Just found this thread and went to post and my old userid/pass no longer workie....so made a new account.

Looking at building a 300 Norma in 2019 and seems I'll go with a Defiance Tactical 'Deviant Tactical' receiver. A Bartlein barrel and I've yet to select a stock and trigger. Any suggestions on those? I'll top it with my current Vortex Razor Gen2. Time to step up from the 308 kiddie table I guess. Hopefully 2019 will be better than 2018 for my shooting.

Just found this thread and went to post and my old userid/pass no longer workie....so made a new account.

Looking at building a 300 Norma in 2019 and seems I'll go with a Defiance Tactical 'Deviant Tactical' receiver. A Bartlein barrel and I've yet to select a stock and trigger. Any suggestions on those? I'll top it with my current Vortex Razor Gen2. Time to step up from the 308 kiddie table I guess. Hopefully 2019 will be better than 2018 for my shooting.

My Deviant .300NM sits in a JAE chassis and has a BnA 2 atage Tacsport trigger. I really like this combo.

IMG_20180725_075949-01.jpeg

Hello All

New guy on the forum .

Re the 300NM , so to confirm could I use this factory Remington action for a 300NM build ? - 27563 700 Long Action Magnum, Stainless Steel

TIA

REC1ER

Do Remington sell their Lapua action alone or do they only come as a complete rifle ? a part # would be good.

lets back up - what are your goals? Trying to have a low cost 300NM rifle? I ask because I would probably not recommend building on a factory remington action. Get a custom action designed for the larger bolt face. Or just get a factory 300NM full rifle

Yep the goal is to build an affordable 300NM but it appears maybe not such a good idea , maybe I`ll go for a 300WM.

you may consider getting a Savage 338LM donor rifle to start the build. I think you're right that there really aren't budget 300NM builds right now. If you don't want to put a suppressor on it, check out some of the 300WM deals on Tikka T3x Ultralites. Easily sub $800 rifles that have great actions and accuracy.

Reactions: Rec1er
You can use the standard Remington 700 long action with a Lapua bolt.
I would use the ultra mag receiver which is the same as the standard long action but with a longer cutout on the bottom.
You can get the bare receiver from grabagun for $240 and a complete bolt from Pacific Tool for $300.
When you order the bolt you need the 0.590 boltface the M16 extractor and the 0.062 firing pin.
They will ask you what diameter bolt you want and on that I would get 0.701 if you just want a nice hunting rifle.
If you plan on getting the raceway bored and want tight tolerances you can get it at 0.704 and have less clearance than most customs have.

My main hang up with the Remington action for the Norma case (any magnum really) is factory 6:48 scope base screws. By the time you get a Rem 700 tuned up to be reliable with a .590” Bolt faced caliber you’re close to a custom action.

$240 receiver
$250 to blueprint receiver and pin .250” lug
$75 to open up scobe base screws to 8:40’s
$300 for custom bolt/firing pin/extractor

$865 for that action. Not terrible but you can pick up a Tac 338 for not much more than that.

Mike

My main hang up with the Remington action for the Norma case (any magnum really) is factory 6:48 scope base screws. By the time you get a Rem 700 tuned up to be reliable with a .590” Bolt faced caliber you’re close to a custom action.

$240 receiver

$865 for that action. Not terrible but you can pick up a Tac 338 for not much more than that.

Mike

I'm with you on this, spending money on a factory action doesn't make sense unless you had an action just laying around.

Reactions: Rec1er

$240 receiver

Mike
:rolleyes:

The Tac338 actions are not a trued up Remington they are closer to a factory Remington with there bolt fit.
If you true up the Remington 700 you pick the clearance from zero to 0.003
If you don't true it and use the 0.701 bolt diameter you end up between 1.5-2 thousandths of clearance depending on were you started.
The video is two of my Stiller Tac actions which have 3-4 thousandths clearance but cost $1130 each.
The plus is you get a side bolt release and a pinned recoil lug if that matters to you.
I bed my bases even on the Stiller's and don't use any release agent at all. Never had a problem with the factory hardware on any action.

I fell on my cellphone and broke the camera glass while hunting so the video quality isn't good.
I use most any action out there and they all will work but I like to save money unless it is necessary.

Could you explain why a tight bolt fit matters and quantify the change in accuracy that results from a tighter/looser bolt body?

I have my doubts, but I'm happy to learn.

When a bolt fits loosely the pressure from the firing pin spring at 22 pounds plus and trigger cock the bolt body off of the lug abutments. No need lapping the lugs if only the edge is making contact until fired
The difference in accuracy is my groups to your groups.
If your happy with your groups and your gun has a sloppy fitting bolt your all set. When you have an action trued it is to get rid of the slop.
I also hunt with triggers lighter than most here use on there target guns.
The picture is my 700 deer gun with a 0.268 neck chamber in 6mm-06 with a Bix&Andy 1.5 ounce trigger.
Most here don't turn necks. Most here don't use light triggers.
Lots of gun myths on the internet about what works and what doesn't.
I tend to find out for myself what works and what is a myth.
The good thing about working with a 700 is you get to pick your bolt clearance. If you like it tight or loose it's up to you.

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_103334205.jpg
    IMG_20190216_103334205.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Hank Fabich jr.
Agree to disagree on bolt bolt clearance and how it affects accuracy. If you’ve blueprinted any number of Remington actions you’ll know that Bolt race ways vary from .698-.705. And just ordering a “.701” Bolt body for every Remington is a joke. Sometimes that will fit, other times it won’t.

And yes bedding a scope base is a great idea on the Remingtons or any action. But it’s an extreme step that most customers or shooters do not want to deal with. If I were to build rifles and tell every customer “oh yeah don’t forget to bed the scope base” then it doesn’t speak very well towards the quality of components.

Bases like the Seekins have a recoil lug built in, however it’s not uncommon to have the scope base spacing off enough to not allow that lug to contact the ejection port. You then have to go in and “blueprint” and recut them to 8:40’s to allow everything to fit and work as it should.

If you want an action that already comes with a .730-.750 bolt body OD (larger recoil lugs), side Bolt release, good extractor, proper bolt handle timing for maximum primary extraction, pinned scope base mounts and 8:40 screws, buy a Defiance/Lone Peak/Stiller Tac338...etc

If you’re comfortable working on your own equipment and correcting some possible problems, go the 700 route.

Mike

@Lynn Jr do you have groups off a bipod and rear bag or do you have to have a front rest and rabbit ear bag to actually shoot? You continue to go around and post how great you are so let's see it.
Go ahead and whip out your dick since you seem to want to be in a pissing contest with people in several threads you are in.

Bradu
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?
I posted a picture of two of my three Stiller Tac actions and gave my opinion of them. Is that allowed?
And to answer your questions yes I shoot using all of the above methods and yes I can outshoot you without any doubt at all.
And no I am not in any pissing contest with anyone unless yours is the only opinion that matters?
I use all of the above and more importantly the two Remington's in the picture are the above mentioned cartridge so I know it works
And I have never seen a Remington at 0.705 unless it was bored to that.

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_112419087.jpg
    IMG_20190216_112419087.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 106
Not at all, I'm in a good mood. I want to see the difference between a sloppy bolt and a tight bolt off a regular bipod and a squeeze bag. I want to see just what us common folk are leaving on the table since you've stated before about needing to have a tight fitting bolt.

I had pondered going the route of building a 338NM on a 700 receiver. I have a Rem 700 RUM LA receiver. I've had it for several years. Awaiting me to decide what to do with it. My original intent was a 338 Edge and that may still be my best option. If I were to go 338NM I would still have to get a .590" bolt so... we will see.

Anyways, aren't there also bolt thrust concerns when you move up to the .590" Rigby case head sized cartridges? I know it's been done many times, in the Norma Mags and Lapua. I also know the 300NM and 338NM were designed around a 700 action.

All the folks I've spoken to have said that the +/- .700" bolt diameter is pushing it when it comes to the bolt thrust created by the increased surface area of the Rigby .590" case head and increased capacity of those cases. They have recommended I go with a custom action with at least .750" bolt diameter or something like a Weatherby MkV factory action.

Does the bolt thrust on the Norma cases push the limits of safety on a +/- .700" factory diameter Remington 700 bolt? I'm just curious as I'm sure a few of you guys on here have a lot more experience with these cartridges and rifles.

Bradu
I don't have any sloppy bolts except for my Tac and McMillan actions so I can't help you.
I also never said you must have a tight bolt. I said it is your choice. If you think a sloppy bolt is a plus your all set with a factory Remington action.

Shooterwithnoname
I have 700's in 338 Lapua Ackley Improved and 338 Norma Ackley Improved and run URSA 2000 yard matches and have never seen the problems described above.
The picture shows my blue 700 with a Stiller tuner that tied the score world record at 1000 yards and the green gun is a Stiller Predator that did set the score world record at 1000 yards using a Harrell's tuner.
I like Stiller's and own many of them despite what others might post here.
The 700 in my humble opinion works despite the smaller bolt diameter.

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_121722934.jpg
    IMG_20190216_121722934.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 89
You guys are leaving the best reason to use a Stiller Action out of your arguing, the tenon diameter.

Reactions: Bradu
Now that is a huge plus and a BAT makes even more sense.
The picture is of my highly modified 700 wearing a 34 inch barrel 1.750 in diameter straight cylinder.

Attachments

• 21312.jpeg
    21312.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited: