• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW/AE/AICS mag diffrences

Re: AW/AE/AICS mag diffrences

I didn't say "solely," but yes it is a factor to consider based on your objective. There are already trade offs between each model regardless of price. Different rifles like different bullets, and different applications require different size bullets. So, it's good to know what options are available. There is plenty of reading material on this site about bullet choices, and why it might be important to some people.

Thanks for the clarification LongTines. I guess I see it differently. With the large selection of bullets and powder today, I can't imagine the mag length being a reason to buy one particular rifle over another in regards to the type of systems we are looking at. I can understand the situation the rifle is used dictating the rifle purchased, not the mag length. The rare exception would possibly be the exotic calibers in which case there are many other options for rifle choices to meet those needs.

VLDs hog up mag space and rounds that don't fit quite right work better in a single stack.
Very good info Rolex
Thanks

They made a very limited number of them, but they were not ever sold publicly. I don't think they even had a part number.
wink.gif

The new AE will be accepting the AICS Short Action mags so you will have an option of 5rd or 10rd mags finally.
wink.gif

Adam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bauer Arms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AW 10rd Mag 2.980 OAL
AICS Mags 2.880 OAL
AE 5rd Mag ??? If someone has one handy let us know what will fit. </div></div>I am loading VLD's to 2.925 in my AE mags and there is lots of room left.

sorry I'm new but what's VLD's?
ah man, I have a AE but does that mean I have to buy another one just to get 10rds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the AE be retro fitted to accept the AICS. Seems they both taper to approx. the same size.</div></div>

No - the AICS mags are double stack, and the current AEs are single stack.

And VLD stands for Very Low Drag, which is a longer bullet.

Guys,

Is there a difference between the 5rd. AW 300WM mags and 5rd. AICS 300WM mags?

Neither should be staggered, so are they the same?

One more question, do all the AI mags come with the emblem?

Thanks,

no sir, the AICS uses the AW .300WM and .338LapMag 5rd mags, thers is no difference.

the AICS 5rd and 10rd mags are staggered single feed.
the original AE 5rd mags are single stack single feed.
the AW 10rd mags are double stack and double feed.
the AW 300WM and 338LapMag 5rd mags are single stack and single feed.

on all of our new mags they do have the AI emblem on the floor plate, older mags do not but there are distinctive differences from the copies of course as well.

hope this helps.

Guys in the top down picture of the AICS mag, what is the piece of metal inside the main body of the mag? There are two wall stocks there. Is that a backing for the welding process? It looks like the other two do not have that. It would seem if that was removed you could increase your OAL in the AICS mag. The reason I ask is I am trying to get Graham's VLD OAL into an AICS mag configuration.

Nice post Rolex. Someone has too many toys in the toybox!

Question, I've got a 10 round AICS that I paid 70 bucks for and it jams all the time. Any pointers from the experts.. I think it's the feed lips causing the rounds to chamber funny.

Any opinions?

Many thanks to ROLEX Rifleman for this very informative (not to mention expensive) post. This shows just how much information is available to us just entering this realm from those "in the know."

Is the Badger M5 for 338 L the same unit as the M5 LA but with 338 mag instead of 300 winmag? Thanks fellas.

skibum: can be done and has been done, at your own risk to lengthen the internal.

M.45: please contact me for assistance.

JW Precision: yes, just switch out mags, you are off and running.

Thanks for the reply Stacey. I guess it's time to order some mags and try it out.

Jim

"sorry I'm new but what's VLD's?"

I didn't see anyone else reply, so i will. VLD stands for Very Low Drag, they are long (and typically heavy) for caliber bullets that often exceed COAL, and so don't work in aa lot of mag systems. IIRC berger bullets had something to do with the invention of VLDs, but i could be wrong.

Noticed on the new AI website that the AE MKII now uses AICS magazines. Hope I read that right...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noticed on the new AI website that the AE MKII now uses AICS magazines. Hope I read that right........... </div></div>

Yep, the Gen II AE's do use only the AICS 5rd & 10rd mags.
wink.gif

What is the longest O.A.L. the .338LM can be and still reliably cycle in the AW mag? Thanks.

Excellent Post-

Question-I purchased an older Badger bottom metal set based on the AE magazine. How long has it been since Badger made the older set up for the AE magazine? This unit was sitting in a drawer of mine for over a year.

I got some AE mags a couple of months ago and just now noticed that some are marked AI on the bottom and some aren't. Is there is difference in the two?

The mags that are marked on the bottom are of the latest run, which all the mags now are "AI logo'd" on the base plate. The older models did not have this marking but there has been no reported copies of the AE magazine either.

I am unaware of Badger Ord M5's that accept the AE mags, just the AICS mags, so you have me on that one.

Stacy I bought 5 mags from you and out of the 5, one had an unmarked floorplate, it is also different from the AI marked mags in that it has a metal follower instead of a plastic follower. Would it be possible for me to exchange it for an AI marked mag with plastic follower for the purposes of uniformity?

On the mags, you rcvd a mix of new and one old. They are all the same, followers are composite not metal, and I do not have any more of the mags instock since I have sold all my remaining inventory at this time of mags.

I am going to post the weights of the different AICS here for my future reference when people ask.
wink.gif
Sorry to get off track guys!

AICS weights include a 5rd mag, action bolts, standard buttpad, and no bipod:

1.5 S/A 5lbs 7oz
2.0 S/A 5lbs 11oz
1.5 L/A 5lbs 13oz
2.0 L/A 6lbs

One other note Stacey had mentioned a big difference in the mags is that on the AW apparently you can top off the magazine while still in the rifle, while the others you have to drop the mag since the AW is a true double feed.

One more unique characteristic of the AW

Just checked my AE MK1 mags for OAL and got a maximum length of 2.980", as Graham stated earlier...plenty of room to run VLD's!

You guys should check with John at USO, there is a new mag coming out that will fit the badger, and all other mag assemblys and chassis of that type with no modds. It is better in all aspects, from finish to material and the best thing is the 10rd mag is well over 2" shorter (cannot say the exact measurment) than what's currently availible and it will fit a 142 Berger 6.5 oal in 260 with no problems, Not going to let the cat all the way out of the bag but everyone should be very happy. I'm sure it will be annonced very soon. Long action mags to follow. One can only guess that it will incorperate the same features as the SA mags and they are (American made)

"cheers"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: highspeed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys should check with John at USO, there is a new mag coming out that will fit the badger, and all other mag assemblys and chassis of that type with no modds. It is better in all aspects, from finish to material and the best thing is the 10rd mag is well over 2" shorter (cannot say the exact measurment) than what's currently availible and it will fit a 142 Berger 6.5 oal in 260 with no problems, Not going to let the cat all the way out of the bag but everyone should be very happy. I'm sure it will be annonced very soon. Long action mags to follow. One can only guess that it will incorperate the same features as the SA mags and they are (American made)

"cheers" </div></div>I would be interested in a mag that fits tighter then the AI in my GAP...JW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: highspeed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys should check with John at USO, there is a new mag coming out that will fit the badger, and all other mag assemblys and chassis of that type with no modds. It is better in all aspects, from finish to material and the best thing is the 10rd mag is well over 2" shorter (cannot say the exact measurment) than what's currently availible and it will fit a 142 Berger 6.5 oal in 260 with no problems, Not going to let the cat all the way out of the bag but everyone should be very happy. I'm sure it will be annonced very soon. Long action mags to follow. One can only guess that it will incorperate the same features as the SA mags and they are (American made)

"cheers" </div></div>

Are these single or double stack?

So I just purchased a Surgeon 591R for a build and am trying to decide on bottom metal. I'm leaning towards the surgeon DBM over the BO M-5. Does the Surgeon use the AICS mag?

I thought they also had an option for it to accept AW mags, but I don't see it listed on their website anymore.