• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW/AE/AICS mag diffrences

Re: AW/AE/AICS mag diffrences

Now I almost feel like an idiot for asking possibly the only question that has <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> yet been answered in this thread, but here it goes: What are the <span style="font-style: italic">external</span> dimensions (length and width) of the AE MKI magazines (single stack, not the AEMKII)?

Trying to figure out if these fit the mag well of a different rifle for which there are no more magazines available and could possibly be modified to feed. External dimensions could either exclude that possibility or make it worthwhile to hunt down such a mag to see if the mod is possible.

Regards,

David

Ok I've got more questions.

This is a build I'm planning. I already have an AICS sa stock I'm going to get a Stiller TAC-30 action with the AW mag well cut by Stiller.

Will this combo work?

Will the action cut for AW mags be able to use both mags (AICS & AW) or once you have the AW machine cut are you only going to be able to use AW?

Will I have to modify my AICS stock or mag well for the AW?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 14Dandy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I've got more questions.

This is a build I'm planning. I already have an AICS sa stock I'm going to get a Stiller TAC-30 action with the AW mag well cut by Stiller.

Will this combo work?

Will the action cut for AW mags be able to use both mags (AICS & AW) or once you have the AW machine cut are you only going to be able to use AW?

Will I have to modify my AICS stock or mag well for the AW?

Thanks</div></div>

It should work just fine - the limiting factor with the AW magazines in a 700 would be the rifle receiver, not the chassis, and if the receiver is designed to feed from the AWs, then you should be set.

real beginner question here, what about 204s in AI mags, poss? would love to throw a DBM on my rifle but unsure on the possibility of running it as 204 (until the barrel is no good then go 223)

So you cannot use AW mags in an AICS or AE MkI/MkII, HOWEVER,

Can you use AICS/MkII mags in a AE MkI provided that you machine out the chassis? Is the catch for the mag release in the same place relative to the top of the mags? Other than those two possible problems it seems like it should work, considering that they are both center feed.

Thanks for an informative thread!

A round made long enough to touch the lands will fit in a AICS mag, at least mine do anyway! (unless your lands are half way down your barrel!) and I've got a good few thou to play with still!

did ever release that AICS that had the longer mag well that the .338 edge would fit better in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cj.weber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I am going nuts here... I saw a post the other day where someone modified a mag so they were fitting flush in the magwell... but now I can't seem to be able to find that... can anyone send me a like to that post or if they know who it was that did that, let me know... I think he was using AICS mags, but I don't recall. </div></div>

This question was asked a long time ago, but I never saw an answer.
Anybody have any idea?

Question: Am I limited by the type of action I have (Rem 700 sa) to certain mags and if so is there a 10rnd .308 mag out there for my layout?

Thanks,

I would really like to know before I order the wrong mags.....

So I read through the thread and didn't see anything on the WSM cartridges. I have never had a DBM system and I was looking at one for the 7mm WSM I started rounding up parts for. It will be a remington 700 based action from bighorn actions in a short action platform. Are there different magazines for the larger case diameter or do they use the same as the 308 case diameter? I was looking at the surgeon bottom metal so from what I have gathered that would use AICS magazines?

We have lots of OEM partners such as APA, Badger Ordnance, CDI Precision, Hooper Law Enforcement Supply, IBA, MAK, McCree, PCD Custom, Seekins, Surgeon, Underground Skunkworks and Zel Customs to name most of the bottom metal/chassis manufactures only, which use the Accuracy International magazine line in the following configurations:
**The following are 7.62/.308 magazine which accommodate several other cartridges without modification** (Other cartridges for example: .22-250, .243, .260, 6x47 Lapua, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, .338 Federal and some others I'm sure I didn't mention including the Ackley Improved (AI) cartriges), (7WSM and .300WSM users, the #3901 and #3902 are acceptable host with front plate removal and minor feed/guide lip modifications currently):
1. AICS 5rd, Part #3901 (this magazines is primarily for the AICS, AE MKII series and are the #1 standard OEM magazine for all bottom current bottom metal)
2. AICS 10rd, Part #3902 (this magazines is primarily for the AICS, AE MKII series as an option and are the #1 optional OEM magazine for all bottom current bottom metal)
3. AW 10rd, Part #0726 (this magazine was originally offered with the AI AW series weapon, however, now the custom rifle builders are starting to offer this magazine as standard DM setup)

The 5.56/.223 crowd:
4. AICS 10rd, Part #6616 (Black Composite) (this magazine is primarily an optional magazine for the AICS and bottom metal end users)
**The above magazine is designed for the .223 Remingtoin/5.56mm, but will accommodate several other cartridges without modification** (Other cartridges for example: .204 Ruger (recommend limit capacity to x7rds), .222 Rem, .222 Rem Mag (recommend limit capacity to x7rds), .300 Whisper, .300 Blackout, some others I'm sure I didn't mention including the Ackley Improved (AI) cartriges).

Magnum models:
5. AW/AICS .300WM 5rd, Part #0479 (this magazine was primarily designed for the AWSM series weapons and following the AICS L/A model.) This magazine will accommodate the .300WM and 7mmRM without modification. With some modifications it will accommodate others such: .270, .280, .30-06.

6. AW/AICS .300WM 10rd, Part #4368, same offerings as the 5rd magazine previously and has now become a standard magazine for the market.

7. AW/AICS .338LM 5rd, Part #2468 (this magazine was primarily designed for the AWSM series weapons and following the AICS L/A model.) This magazine will accommodate the .338 Lapua Mag and .338 Norma Mag without modification. This magazine with modifications can accommodate the .300WBY, .300RUM, .338RUM, 50DTAC and a few others.

8. AICS .338LM CIP 5rd, Part #4808 (this magazine is designed to the updated CIP COAL with the 300gr bullets to the 3.760" range internal) This magazine has been standardized for use within the AICS and all the above mentioned OEM Partners which have or are designing a bottom metal, will offer them with this magazine. With the same modifications as the above 5rd magazine, this one will offer the same capabilities.

I think that about covers the magazine offerings, abilities and hopefully even more information to clearly explain each. More questions post away, thanks for looking.

I recently bought one of those ALPHA AICS mags and supposedly it'll hold 10 rounds in a compact size just slightly longer than the standard AI 5 rnd magazine. Anyways i noticed that the magazine doesnt really SNAP in like the AIs version and you can just pull it out w/o use of the release. Anyone else have these mags and notice this? I am using a Rem 700 tactical .308 with AICS 2.0 stock

am I the only one who's mag's rattle? I have the AICS in 308 GAP and they have alot of lateral movement.

Does anyone has pictures of custom (not AI) rifles using AW 308 magazines? I have found only one picture in this long thread.
What bottom metal was used?
What changes done to the stock/action?
How does it work (smoothness, reliability)?
Since they are double stack/double feed, can you reload the mags while they are in the rifle (assuming the action has an extraction window large enough)?
Any particular action (Rem, Win, Sako, CZ, Howa, etc.) that is "best" suited for this?

Thanks in advance.

deisel, that's a VERY nice rifle!
smile.gif

Can you reload the AW mag while it is in the rifle?

I am going with badger M5 DBM system on a remy 700 in 300 WSM. Called badger and they steered me toward accurate mag for a magazine for the WSM. Anyone have experience with these in 300 WSM? Or other recommendations? Needs to be 5 round mag (hunting).

This is one of the most informative post i have seen in my short time on the hide.
thanks for the time spent.

so does anyone else have any kind of rattle or side by side play with these mag's?

So I need a 300WM magazine for the 6.5x55SE, correct..?

Am I correct in thinking that the 308AW mag will work with a AICS short action? My 260 is built on a 591 with the feed ramp cut.

Dustin

Great post! Question, have there been any reliability or quality issues with the AICS mags?

The AI AICS magazines for .308 in both the 5rd and 10rd, .300WM and .338LM 5rd models are all known as the industry standard and offered by most bottom metal manufactures as OEM magazines to date than any other on the market. These magazines are the same which are offered in all the Accuracy International AE MKII, AE MKIII, AICS S/A (x6 models), AICS M24, AICS L/A (x6 models), AICS L/A CIP (x3 models), AWM .300WM and AWSM .338LM weapons as well. The AICS L/A SII .300WM FDE model has been in service for 5 years with the NWS group known as the MK13. The Army Sniper School has upgraded many of their M24's with the AICS M24 for ease of training and ergonomics for the students coming through. The USMC M40 series has been updated with the Badger Bottom metal and AICS 5rd/10rd magazines for years and currently in service as well. If and when a quality issue ever arises, your warranty/replacement center is directly available in the US located in VA as well. Overall, the products speak for themselves by shear popularity and availability but honestly these are some of the best magazines available today on the market. Hope this helps with your question, have a great and safe holiday weekend to all.

Not sure if this is the right place for this discussion or not. I did a search and didn't find anything specific or perhaps this information is elsewhere on the forum.

Given the various number of DBM's currently on the market for something common like the Rem 700 platform, is there a cheat sheet of sorts that advises what magazine-type goes with which DBM manufacturer? I'm a newbie to this but judging from the information in this thread, the magazines aren't exactly backwards-compatible with each other.

In other words, is there a DBM out there that currently accepts AW/AE and AICS magazines? Do they all accept all (3) types?

If you have some specific questions and would like recommendations, feel free to contact me either via pm, email or call the office and I will be glad to assist.

Concerning the 700 all dbm will secure and feed aics mags. Only ai ae mk1 runs ai ae mags. Mk2 and mk3 run aics mags. 700s won't feed aw mags without a bit of work and I don't know of any smiths that will do the work right now. 700 clones stiller and defiance will both feed from aics and aw mags if they have the guardian mag cut. Which mags run is more a function of the action than the dbm.

Great info.

Does anyone make a ten round AE Mk I magazine? THe only Mk I mags I can find are 5 rd AIs.

I'm not sure AI even made one...can't find anything on this.

Considering purchasing Badger's DBM metal for the M24, which takes AI AE Mk I mags.
Although having 5 rd mag capability will speed reloading, a ten round mag would justify the purchase.

Thanks for the post,very informative

The GAP HRT uses the Templar Defiance action with Badger Bottom. I have only used an AICS mag in it but because of the action will it accept the AW. GAP closed for weekend. Jeff

It looks like the AICS .223 and .308 mags have the same outside dimensions.

I'm considering switching my Savage .223 to a .308 and I already have CDI bottom metal. Anyone know if the .308 mags will fit in the bottom metal? I've emailed Jeff at CDI but thought I would ask here.

A couple questions for you AI mag experts.

If I have a stiller tac 30 action which is a 700 clone, and have the action inlets for AW mags,

Can I still run standard mags as well in an AISC stock???

Right now I am running standard AI 5 and 10 round short action mags with no problems. But I am considering getting a stiller action with the AW cut on the bottom. Just want to make sure both the AW and standard AI mags will work.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jake

The tac30 a/w will work with either aics or aiaw magazines. It does not have feedlips though, and will not work with standard remington boxes that use the feedlips in the action. All detachable mags that work in a remington should work fine.