• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AWM 338 vs AXSR 338?

philipna7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2022
Georgia
Hi, all

I have a plan to purchase my first long-range rifle.
Finally, I got confirmation from my wife.
I was looking for AWM, but I can only buy AXSR in the US.
AWM is $11k with scope, and AXSR is $10k w/o scope.
The scope is a US Optics SN3 5-25x.
Which one is the better choice?
1660855145919.png

And please help me to choose a suppressor for my 338 rifle.
Here has some options make me confuse.
1660855091253.png

Thank you.

That is not a good first rifle.

I mean....its a GREAT rifle....but...you should probably start with a Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor with a nightforce or kahles scope up top.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
That is not a good first rifle.

I mean....its a GREAT rifle....but...you should probably start with a Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor with a nightforce or kahles scope up top.
Could you tell me more specifically??
I served air force but not a sniper 🤔

That is the BEST first rifle. AXSR all the way. Easy caliber changes without tools really. Never have to updrade... ever. Just need the 308 bolt and SA barrel if you don't just want to use it for LR stuff. You would want the 3/4x24 SR brake option for the suppressor.

Shoot me a PM. I can most likely save you some money on the rifle and accessories. If your not set on that USO optic, I can help ya there also.

Jake

Last edited:
The AXSR has the ability to swap calibers easier vs the AW. So you can have a large caliber 300/300NM/338LM etc and another setup in 6.5 CM or what not. And swap easily with just a 4mm Allen key which is on the rifle.

Could watch the px here as well. Decent amount of AI’s come for sale. AXSR and AXMC would run the bigger cartridges

338 Lapua is a expensive caliber to start on. 6.5 CM or something similar will shoot easily over 1,000 and be way less expensive, less recoil, more ammo choices. Even the 300’s are cheaper and do 1 mile plus

I have 300 PRC and 6.5 CM for my AXMC

The AXSR has the ability to swap calibers easier vs the AW. So you can have a large caliber 300/300NM/338LM etc and another setup in 6.5 CM or what not. And swap easily with just a 4mm Allen key which is on the rifle.

Could watch the px here as well. Decent amount of AI’s come for sale. AXSR and AXMC would run the bigger cartridges

338 Lapua is a expensive caliber to start on. 6.5 CM or something similar will shoot easily over 1,000 and be way less expensive, less recoil, more ammo choices. Even the 300’s are cheaper and do 1 mile plus

I have 300 PRC and 6.5 CM for my AXMC
I can buy 300 barrel also and use on it, right.
I wanted buy AXMC but AXMC also not sell in the US for now

I can buy 300 barrel also and use on it, right.
I wanted buy AXMC but AXMC also not sell in the US for now
If you buy in a 338 LM you can swap the barrel to 300 Norma. To do a 300 WM or 300 PRC you’d need to buy the bolt body as well as the barrel. You’d also need a new magazine. Same thing if you run a .473 bolt head for 6.5/308 cases.

There’s 3 different bolts available for the different size case heads.

I have the 300 and 338 bolts that share the same firing pin assembly. Then bought a complete .473 with small firing pin for my 6.5 setup

Reactions: philipna7
Are you talking about that AW listed on Gunbroker? More importantly, have you ever done any long range shooting at all? That's a huge investment in something you may not like doing, or be able to dedicate the time and money to.

I'd probably buy the AWM but that's because I like rifles I can justify owning even I can't make full use of them. The AWM is kind of collectible/historical.

Also, I don't want to come off as rude, but why do you type like that?

AXSR is the practical choice. You can get a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt and barrel and you will probably end up shooting the 6.5CM a lot more than 338 Laupua. And unless you're dead set on 338 Lapua look into 300 PRC, similar performance with less cost and recoil. Plus there are a lot of good cans that will handle the 300's.

Just making sure, you have a place to shoot this right? Shooting rifles like these, especially the magnums, is kinda silly if you only have access to a couple hundred yard range.
I second this ^

I had a 338 LM. Personally I wouldn’t go that route over a 300 again. But in my case I’d go 300 NM if I wanted the extra HP. But if you don’t reload that’s expensive to shoot as well compared to other 300’s. I like 300 PRC or properly throated 300 WM on the “cheaper” 300 end of ammo. If there’s such a thing anymore

The Accuracy International AWSM in the 2.0 configuration all original is getting to be a classic collector piece.
They shoot really well, are rugged as all get out and have a classic old school cool look to them.

That being said, if you aren't into the collector thing, then the AXMC (no longer offered but you can find decent deals on them used) or the current AXSR give you all the cool modern features that everybody seems to want these days.

It's just a shame that the AXSR and even the rest of the AI line have gone crazy expensive.

A couple years back a new AXMC in .338 could be had for in the mid to high $6k range.
With the new stuff pushing the $10k + range the value for the money is starting to become a bit hard to justify.

Are you talking about that AW listed on Gunbroker? More importantly, have you ever done any long range shooting at all? That's a huge investment in something you may not like doing, or be able to dedicate the time and money to.

I'd probably buy the AWM but that's because I like rifles I can justify owning even I can't make full use of them. The AWM is kind of collectible/historical.

Yeah. On gunbroker.
Ah. So you mean AXSR is much better than AWM, right?
Where is looks rude? My English is bad, so I’ll fix if I said rude.

Just making sure, you have a place to shoot this right? Shooting rifles like these, especially the magnums, is kinda silly if you only have access to a couple hundred yard range.
Hmm let me think. But I like buy a gun and..maybe shoot sometimes?haha if I’ll find someone can go with me, that should be great.

The Accuracy International AWSM in the 2.0 configuration all original is getting to be a classic collector piece.
They shoot really well, are rugged as all get out and have a classic old school cool look to them.

That being said, if you aren't into the collector thing, then the AXMC (no longer offered but you can find decent deals on them used) or the current AXSR give you all the cool modern features that everybody seems to want these days.

It's just a shame that the AXSR and even the rest of the AI line have gone crazy expensive.

A couple years back a new AXMC in .338 could be had for in the mid to high $6k range.
With the new stuff pushing the $10k + range the value for the money is starting to become a bit hard to justify.
Oh…
Thank you.
You gave me a answer.
Right. Price is too much differ.
So I don’t know how can I do.

Yeah. On gunbroker.

The AXSR is a better rifle than the AWM.

Nothing you said is rude. Some would feel that it is rude of me to mention your English.

Man.. AXSR was my first choice. But ended up with a AXSA instead. No regrets though. But the ability to have a range of SA to LA cartridges is a done deal right there. I say get it man. Its AI’s premium rifle. And they shoot damn accurate. For me, I decided to go AXSA only because my range only goes up to 1800. Them AXSR and AXMC guys with the magnum practice at that distance.

I'm sure we've all been eyeing it.

Man.. AXSR was my first choice. But ended up with a AXSA instead. No regrets though. But the ability to have a range of SA to LA cartridges is a done deal right there. I say get it man. Its AI’s premium rifle. And they shoot damn accurate. For me, I decided to go AXSA only because my range only goes up to 1800. Them AXSR and AXMC guys with the magnum practice at that distance.
I went the same route and got the AXSA.
Then I bought an MRAD for shooting LA…

Reactions: Rhed
Any chance OP would consider starting with a nice .22LR to get some rounds downrange with very light recoil?

T1X or Vudoo + any high $ scope you like + online training on this site

Then consider a .223...

Then consider a 6mm, 6.5CM, .308...

Then consider what you're looking at.

Unless you're made of money, are a really fast learner, and never flinch.

... and why US Optics?

Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Nightforce, etc. make great scopes.

I'd probably go Zero Compromise if my budget were like yours. I've been impressed with the ones I've seen. (Never used TT)

(flame away guys...)

Last edited:
Either would be a great choice. AWSM doesn't run CIP length cartridges, while AIAX/AXMC/AXSR all do, if that factor matters to you.

Yeah. On gunbroker.
AWSM.
Bonded receiver. You can replace 338LM with 300NM, the same bolt face, and you’ll be able to use 215/230 Bergers.
AXSR….the ability to swap calibers…will you need this feature?