• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AZ LRPRS July Monthly Match

LH_Gina

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
Goodyear, AZ
Next monthly match for AZ LRPRS will be at Phoenix Rod & Gun Club on July 16th. Rounds go downrange at 0700. Match fees are $10 for members and $15 for non-members. 50 rounds should cover the COF. MD for this match will be MGN so if you have questions about the COF, direct them at him.
wink.gif
Be prepared to shoot anywhere from 11 yards to 710 yards. And bring water. Lots of water. It's really, really hot out right now.

Re: AZ LRPRS July Monthly Match

Would like to participate, about what time do you guys finish? I have work in the afternoon but want to make sure I have enough time.

Thanks,
Scott

This will be my first time shooting any matches as it is very hard to get time off of work on Sat for me and the matches are usually on Sat. What will I need to bring besides the rifle and ammo?

Are there any weapon restrictions? Can I watch the match rather than competing the first time to get a "feel" for how everything runs? I really want to make it to this one of these months. What is the course of fire like? Is there anything that I can read up on to learn more about these matches to better prepare for it when I can come out and participate? Thanks guys and gals.

-Dylan

Dylan,

Bring your rifle/50rds ammo and be prepared to shoot from various positions. It's not rocket science. I've been shooting for little over a year. I just showed up and shot a match. It's fun and if you have questions ask someone. Honestly, watching a match is NOT going to prepare you anymore than showing up and shooting the match cold. Cmon' out and have some fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This will be my first time shooting any matches as it is very hard to get time off of work on Sat for me and the matches are usually on Sat. What will I need to bring besides the rifle and ammo? </div></div>

Rifle, ammo, pack, water, if you have a bipod - great. If you don't, well, shoot off your pack. Most of us have all the gear and don't mind letting folks check it out. Easier (and cheaper) than buying a bunch of stuff just to find out you don't really like it.

The courses of fire change every month. Each of us core club members select a month to run the match which includes designing every stage, running the set up and tear down of the match, scores and so on. As a shooter you enjoy the participation in the match and can help with set up or tear down if you want to.
The cost is $15 to shoot and $0 to watch. You'll be sad you didnt shoot if you came just to watch. These are no pressure matches and if you dont do so well, then so be it. You will learn what you need practice on. Come to enjoy a morning of shooting and learning, and dont be discouraged if you get beat by a girl. LH_Gina is a very good shooter and beats most of us on a regular basis.

Sounds like fun! Count me in. If you guys need help setting up just let me know, I can get there a lot earlier if you guys needed help. Also, would I need more than one mag? I only have one but if needed I can pick up some more.

Thanks,
Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like fun! Count me in. If you guys need help setting up just let me know, I can get there a lot earlier if you guys needed help. Also, would I need more than one mag? I only have one but if needed I can pick up some more.

Thanks,
Scott </div></div>

Usually not a bad idea to have more than one... Although, we have guys with top feeders that seem to do just fine as well.

If you want to see different types of stages we have shot in the past all over the west coast check out our club Facebook page, AZ Long Range Precision Rifle Shooting. Regina and Tim have posted some great videos for all to watch.

Come out, have fun, and if you need anything we can lend a hand.

The thing I'm worried about is that my position shooting is severly lacking. All I have available to me is a 22lr and a 223. Obviously the 223 is the best choice
wink.gif
But it's a heavy S.O.B. and I have zero DOPE for it yet. I don't even have a load worked up for it
crazy.gif
So I was hoping that by watching a match i'd have a good idea of which positions to prepare to shoot in and what I was most worried about is if there's any pressure induced by short time limits and/or run and gun stages. I will make it out for a match but I want to at least make a drop chart before attempting even a mid range shot in a competition setting. If I end up going I'm positive i'll want to participate, so spectating most likely wouldn't happen anyways. I just wanted to know if it was an option or not. I'm going to try to make it to this match... One quick question: 69 and 77 grn. SMK's are both similarly priced. So with the distance in mind, which would be the preferred 223 bullet?

LH_Gina used to use a 223 with 52gr BTHP's she did just fine but it was hard to tell a hit on steel past 500 yards. get the 77's, you'll use less powder.

I should be able to make it as a spectator. I'm on crutches for a few more weeks, so best I can do is watch. Hoping to see if I can get behind a few rifles after the match or between stages as well, mainly looking to decide what stock I want to start saving up for.

Hoping I can shoot next month, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I watch the match rather than competing the first time to get a "feel" for how everything runs? </div></div>

More than welcome to watch, but if you have a rifle and 50 rounds bring it.....you may change your mind (or kick yourself later for not bringing it!). Even if you don't have dope there's enough folks that shoot enough calibers to get you close and then you will have real dope.

Like Tim said, there's no pressure, we shoot to shoot and improve our skills.
Winning's fun though, ask Tim or Matt....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing I'm worried about is that my position shooting is severly lacking. All I have available to me is a 22lr and a 223. Obviously the 223 is the best choice
wink.gif
But it's a heavy S.O.B. and I have zero DOPE for it yet. I don't even have a load worked up for it
crazy.gif
So I was hoping that by watching a match i'd have a good idea of which positions to prepare to shoot in and what I was most worried about is if there's any pressure induced by short time limits and/or run and gun stages. I will make it out for a match but I want to at least make a drop chart before attempting even a mid range shot in a competition setting. If I end up going I'm positive i'll want to participate, so spectating most likely wouldn't happen anyways. I just wanted to know if it was an option or not. I'm going to try to make it to this match... One quick question: 69 and 77 grn. SMK's are both similarly priced. So with the distance in mind, which would be the preferred 223 bullet? </div></div>

Just get your ass out there and shoot, these guys and gals are legit and put on a great match. If your going to stand around and watch at least man a spotting scope. :)

I mean that, the nicest way possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More than welcome to watch, but if you have a rifle and 50 rounds bring it.....you may change your mind (or kick yourself later for not bringing it!). Even if you don't have dope there's enough folks that shoot enough calibers to get you close and then you will have real dope.

Winning's fun though, ask Tim or Matt....</div></div>
I spoke to Tim for a few minutes over the phone earlier today and am extremely excited to participate! I am going to do my best to make it out next weekend but there are no gurantees. And if not this month, then next month you all can count on seeing me there for sure
smile.gif
I'm heading out to pick up some 77 SMK's tomorrow and will work on getting a load worked up this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get your ass out there and shoot, these guys and gals are legit and put on a great match. If your going to stand around and watch at least man a spotting scope. :)

I mean that, the nicest way possible. </div></div>
Absolutly, I would like to get there early enough to help get the match set up and help with the tear down as well. And if I can't shoot, then I'll do whatever else I can do to help out!

Looking foreword to meeting up with you folks soon!

Take care,
-Dylan

I happened to 'squad' (to watch) with several in this group at a Prescott meet. They might give you a hard time but they're not hard azzz'd.

If you don't shoot, it is fun to get behind a spotter and recognize a hit. Was easier in our group because we had two spotters going. At 1k you can see the turbulence - and usually see it fall short. A couple of times on shorter distances I could see the round come in!

I'd say if you shoot, just ask to be the middle shooter of the squad to start...that's all you'll need.

Still playing with my USO 1.8x10 on my little 77/17hm2, you wouldn't be able to tell it hit a target, LOL.

Dylan,

While I'm not shooting this time around, when I DO make it out to actively participate, I'll be using an SPR with 75gr Black Hills BTHP. So you won't be the only .223/5.56mm shooter present.
smile.gif

Mike at SW Ammo has some good stuff on the shelf, their place is over by Caswell's....

Or 23.5 IMR4895 or 25gr Varget is usually good juju in 223.....

I think i'm going to go with Varget this time around, somewhere in the area of 24-25 grains under that 77 SMK out of a 24" bbl should be good to go
wink.gif
Fingers crossed that I make it out next weekend, but it's looking like next months match is more doable. Either way, see ya'll soon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More than welcome to watch, but if you have a rifle and 50 rounds bring it.....you may change your mind (or kick yourself later for not bringing it!). Even if you don't have dope there's enough folks that shoot enough calibers to get you close and then you will have real dope.

Winning's fun though, ask Tim or Matt....</div></div>
I spoke to Tim for a few minutes over the phone earlier today and am extremely excited to participate! I am going to do my best to make it out next weekend but there are no gurantees. And if not this month, then next month you all can count on seeing me there for sure
smile.gif
I'm heading out to pick up some 77 SMK's tomorrow and will work on getting a load worked up this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get your ass out there and shoot, these guys and gals are legit and put on a great match. If your going to stand around and watch at least man a spotting scope. :)

I mean that, the nicest way possible. </div></div>
Absolutly, I would like to get there early enough to help get the match set up and help with the tear down as well. And if I can't shoot, then I'll do whatever else I can do to help out!

Looking foreword to meeting up with you folks soon!

Take care,
-Dylan</div></div>

And, as part of tear-down, you have to RUN the circuit straight up the hill(mountain?) from Yankee to Zulu, Charlie, Bravo, Alpha, and back to Yankee.
sick.gif

My lungs hurt for three days after that...

^^^
Damnit, you're scaring all the help away!

Vegas contingent heading down this month?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^

Vegas contingent heading down this month? </div></div>

Im still debating on it. My bolt rifle is in the pits waiting on a new tube to come in and i haven't been getting along too well with my DPMS back up rifle recently. Im about 60/40 right now, i still have a lot of prep to get it back up to par.

Beau and Bill are thinking about it.

I was hoping the S591 6XC would be ready by this month's match, but it ain't looking like it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And, as part of tear-down, you have to RUN the circuit straight up the hill(mountain?) from Yankee to Zulu, Charlie, Bravo, Alpha, and back to Yankee.
sick.gif

My lungs hurt for three days after that...</div></div>
^^ Sounds like fun!

Note: I for sure won't be making it to the match this next Sunday. This weekends plans got mooved to next weekend unfortunately.

I just picked up a box of 77 SMK's and 1lb of Varget. These little buggars are really cute! I thought 175 SMK's were tiny but these just make me laugh! Going to get to work on the Winchester brass this week and start load development next weekend (hopefully; that is, if I can find time).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And, as part of tear-down, you have to RUN the circuit straight up the hill(mountain?) from Yankee to Zulu, Charlie, Bravo, Alpha, and back to Yankee.
sick.gif

^^ Sounds like fun!

Note: I for sure won't be making it to the match this <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">next Sunday</span></span>.
</div></div>

The match is Saturday not Sunday!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o0synge0o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And, as part of tear-down, you have to RUN the circuit straight up the hill(mountain?) from Yankee to Zulu, Charlie, Bravo, Alpha, and back to Yankee.
sick.gif

^^ Sounds like fun!

Note: I for sure won't be making it to the match this <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">next Sunday</span></span>.
</div></div>

The match is Saturday not Sunday!</div></div>
Either way I can't make it, both mornings are busy. Saturday I have a ride planned with my dad, and Sunday we have a trip with my family, family friends, and my two best friends to a waterfall on an indian reservation.

I will be there for sure, I'm gonna see how the DTA shoots, tried 155 scenars this week and they seem to shoot really good. I'll have to see how she does past 400yds. Hope you guys don't mind a noob joining you. I hope to participate a lot more now that I have changed my schedule around just for these matches.

Scott

Looking forward to seeing you there. The 155 Scenars do great past 400. Bring 50 rounds and you will be good to go.

Scottsnipe, we encourage new people to show up. The 1st step is getting to a match and not pussing out. This is a no pressure shoot and lots of good folks to help with questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim3gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scottsnipe, we encourage new people to show up. The 1st step is getting to a match and not pussing out. This is a no pressure shoot and lots of good folks to help with questions. </div></div>

Sounds good, looking forward to meeting everyone.

Have a good time guys. I have to make time in my schedule to hit one in the near future. If my schedule changes, I may make it. If I don't, have a great time.

I will see you guys in August. Pimp hand isn't strong! lol

at least you admit it Joe. Just dont let the little woman drive you around, if that happends, you never get your man card back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will see you guys in August. Pimp hand isn't strong! lol</div></div> Bring her along and have her shoot...call it a get away weekend.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^

Vegas contingent heading down this month? </div></div>

Im still debating on it. My bolt rifle is in the pits waiting on a new tube to come in and i haven't been getting along too well with my DPMS back up rifle recently. Im about 60/40 right now, i still have a lot of prep to get it back up to par.

Beau and Bill are thinking about it.</div></div> Dane, if you want to borrow my Armalite you are more than welcome to. W/43.5 Varget under 175's I have all the data you need. Just let me know. For that matter If you want to use my bolt gun let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim3gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at least you admit it Joe. Just dont let the little woman drive you around, if that happends, you never get your man card back. </div></div>

lol! That won't happen! With all the time I spend practicing, reloading, shooting matches and now learning to do barrels on a lathe I'm surprised she hasn't left. She must love me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will see you guys in August. Pimp hand isn't strong! lol</div></div> Bring her along and have her shoot...call it a get away weekend</div></div>

That's what I was going for, I had a pretty good plan. She would have a blast learning and shooting a match but she has to work Saturday. Once she has a break from school I'm going to get her to the range, she has some pistol work to brush up on and some rifle shooting to do!

Unfortunately I'm not in the 6XC club this match either....I was hoping, but the barreld action hasn't made it back from WI yet.

Of well, I guess the Creedmoor will have to do another month.

Wanted to thank everyone welcoming me to the shoot. I had a lot of fun and learned a ton!!! You can pretty much count on seeing me there more often. For anyone who is hesitant to participate, you shouldn't. You won't regret it, these are the friendliest bunch of guys I ever shot with. See you guys again Thursday morn..
smile.gif

Thanks for coming out scottsnipe, glad you had a good time.

Actually I'm really glad you came out, without the boresnake you had in your ruck I would have had a short day with a big DNF, instead of pulling off a 5th place only firing 32 rounds-seven of which were stage enders when they went bang.....

What do you guys think, one more load on this brass?
65chs0711002.jpg

All,

Thank you for coming out and braving the heat.....and having all of your a@@es handed to you by a girl. Congratulations LH Gina on the win.

Name .......... Points..Place .... Points Possible
Regina M....... 670.....1..........1070
Tim M ......... 570.... 2
Matt L ......... 560....3
Lowe W......... 540.....4
Steve E......... 470... 5
Gary M.......... 410... 6
Marc O.......... 400... 7
Ben B ........... 340.. 8
Scott S......... 280....9
Dave B.......... 230... 10
Scott M......... 220.... 11
Rod M .......... 210.... 12
Steve H......... 170.... 13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All,

Thank you for coming out and braving the heat.....and having all of your a@@es handed to you by a girl. Congratulations LH Gina on the win.

Name .......... Points..Place .... Points Possible
Regina M....... 670.....1..........1070
Tim M ......... 570.... 2
Matt L ......... 560....3
Lowe W......... 540.....4
Steve E......... 470... 5
Gary M.......... 410... 6
Marc O.......... 400... 7
Ben B ........... 340.. 8
Scott S......... 280....9
Dave B.......... 230... 10
Scott M......... 220.... 11
Rod M .......... 210.... 12
Steve H......... 170.... 13 </div></div>

Dang Gina,you are shooting excellent! Congrats.

My wife Robin and I host the field target air rifle matches all summer the 3rd Sat of every month up here in Flag so that's why I don't come down in the summers and join you guys.

Anyways I'm very proud of her because she won the match today also!!!! It's the first time she's ever won and it happens to be our anniversary.Hows that for cool !

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for coming out scottsnipe, glad you had a good time.

Actually I'm really glad you came out, without the boresnake you had in your ruck I would have had a short day with a big DNF, instead of pulling off a 5th place only firing 32 rounds-seven of which were stage enders when they went bang.....

65chs0711002.jpg
</div></div>
Break loose with some of that cash you got hid away and buy some new brass.

Nice shootin' Lefty!! I found out my Sako extractor is angling the brass into my USO windage knob and that's why I was a sh!t-sandwich today, but I beat steve cause I fired 38 rounds!! Nice job Michael and Darlene it was a fun match even while I was fumbling with magazines and loose rounds
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Break loose with some of that cash you got hid away and buy some new brass. </div></div>

Don't think Graf's takes monopoly money.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for coming out scottsnipe, glad you had a good time.

65chs0711002.jpg
</div></div>

How old is that brass? I had a few boxes of creedmoor brass about a year ago that started to split just like that after 3x. Unfortunately i no longer have the original boxes to compare lot numbers.