• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

back ideas

Re: back ideas

-Dead lifts.
-Kettlebell swings.
-Supermans. (Lay on your stomach, get into superman pose, and raise your arms/legs, just Youtube it)
-Do back lifts on a GHD machine (google an image). Lie face down and raise, with or without weight, whatever is more comfortable.
-DON'T FORGET TO STRETCH (look up some good stretches)
-Don't forget about YOUR ABS, you do not want to increase back strength without increasing the front. This will only bring on injury. Hopefully that makes sense, because it's extremely important.
-Cherry pickers are a good lower back workout too (stand with feet apart and bend at the waist, touch the ground, come back up and touch your hips then shoulders, repeat)
- Upper back is important too, so look into maybe lat rows, low row, pullups, or the lightweight versions of any of those

Depends, are you rehabbing an injury? The the reverse hyper machine (see Westside Barbell) allows you to work the spinal erectors without any shear force applied across your discs. They are hard to find at normal gyms... if your gym has one then you have a great gym.

If you have no prior injuries and no prior barbell experience start with the basic five lifts: properly executed low bar squats, DLs, and overhead press (standing), BP, and Power Cleans... see Mark Rippetoe for "how to" on each lift and programming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Photon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget about YOUR ABS, you do not want to increase back strength without increasing the front. This will only bring on injury. Hopefully that makes sense, because it's extremely important.
</div></div>

Photon's advice is solid all the way around. I would recommend doing lots of either v-ups or toes to bars, these will really work out your abs.

Also if you want to get both back and abs I suggest doing lots of L-Pullups, which have the side benefit of giving you some sick "guns" as well.

ghr's and extensions are great accessory work. reverse hypers are awesome as well.

deads and their variations are great, (pin pulls hit your back more) depending on the goal. lets not forget ghr's, reverse hypers, etc are all mainly directed to be heavy on the hams/thighs, ass, erectors, etc ie. squat muscles.

dont forget kroc/dumb bell rows, pendlay rows, bent over rows, chins, t bar rows, rope pull ups, inverted rows.

facepulls, shrugs, rope pulls to throat, band pull aparts are great upper back accessory work, particularly if trying to increase your bench.

just like anything, all depends on the goal. strength, mass, etc

To echo the others, get some help with deadlifts and do those.

Squats, good mornings, all row variations, lat pull down, and side bends all contribute.

Get after it

Check out a foam back roller and excercises to work the spine. I have multiple levels of disc herniations and use these excercises to strengthen and stretch this old back before a workout.

RJW- With disc herniations, you are the candidate for the Westside reverse hyper machine... Have you ever tried it? I know a fellow who came back from a disc herniation to DL 650+

Posted this in the crossfit thread. Maybe one of you guys could benefit I don't do cross fit but have clients who do. This is an off dead lift day exercise I developed, flipping a commercial truck tire. It won't replace good deads but is good for circuits. Should be a 22 1/2 inch truck tire.It's the size tire off a ladder truck or the like. They are about 3' in diameter and weigh a little over 100 lbs,no more than 150 for sure. I flip it about 50 yards, run a lap, set of push ups,squat thrusts or the like ,then flip it back to the start point,repeat 21 min.. All the muscle groups in the dead lift and cleans for that matter just not as heavy. Some of the guys I showed it to have incorporated it into their cross fit program

upper or lower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treemonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have any good workout for your back?
doc says i need to work my back more. </div></div>