• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badass....

It's clearly obvious that you've neither participated in or witnessed a fight to the death of any kind.[/QUOT
an in your superposed expert option what it's easy ? i am not questioning the fact the story says it happened and he lived nor am i saying its not possible as it seemed to have happened, or that it could not happen again heck he could be the next cat whisper. Just its hard to see a video of my neighbors back door shreaded into confetti by one of those cats and think that a human around the size of the pray that they eat suffocated one that was wild , and no i have not been in any to the death fights. Have you ? and if so congratulations.. That's not a decision I would prefer not to have to make.

I will venture this is not a nut a blind squirrel would find.

To be attacked and have the wherewith-all to hold the cat’s mouth shut and cover its nostrils is a focused and amazing FU to the offending cat.
All while its claws were flailing I am sure.

Kid died near where I used to live getting attacked by a cat while running. Scott Lancaster in Idaho Springs CO.
We called a rapid on the creek just below where it happened Mtn Lion....... sensitive folks that we are.

Reactions: Fig
Poor kitty...

Only 80 lbs... just a baby.

Sirhr

Yep , I missed that. Immature, small for a couger. I have always read that it is the young ones you have to watch out for. I read a story a while back about a guy who was stalked by three young males.

Yep , I missed that. Immature, small for a couger. I have always read that it is the young ones you have to watch out for. I read a story a while back about a guy who was stalked by three young males.
Might be immature and small, but I’ve seen an 8 lb house cat do MAJOR damage to a hundred pound bulldog.

Might be immature and small, but I’ve seen an 8 lb house cat do MAJOR damage to a hundred pound bulldog.
No question. Cats are spartans.....

4540614A-1E01-4453-BE0B-E7A13E291375.jpeg

Update to story. Turns out the mountain lion is a protected species, was killed out of season, without a permit, by unlawful means. :ROFLMAO:

I will venture this is not a nut a blind squirrel would find.

To be attacked and have the wherewith-all to hold the cat’s mouth shut and cover its nostrils is a focused and amazing FU to the offending cat.
All while its claws were flailing I am sure.

Kid died near where I used to live getting attacked by a cat while running. Scott Lancaster in Idaho Springs CO.
We called a rapid on the creek just below where it happened Mtn Lion....... sensitive folks that we are.
I met a college age kid up on bear peak in Boulder that had claw scars on his arm. He had been attacked by a cougar as a young kid in Colorado. Sure enough I remember going home and looking the story up.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
That looked like it was going to become a storyline until they confirmed he killed it with his bare hands

I roamed the foothills above Boulder, often well past midnight, always armed. I knew damn well if I was forced to defend myself, I would have been crucified.

One night I was was twisted around on one of the peaks, it was dark, and started snowing so it was getting treacherous to move around. I was preparing in stay in a small cave for the night. I could smell the cat piss and there was a lot of sign. I took one more look around for a way down and saw some deer droppings. I knew that was my ticket so I made a short but treacherous down-climb and followed those tracks to a chute that I could make it down.

Part way down I suddenly had a realization and texted my brother that I was in a kill zone. About 100 yards later I found a deer carcass. At that point I was lit up like the fouth of July. Glock in one hand and piolet in the other I let out a gutteral roar to let anything around know I would fight, then slowly made my way out.

I got to the truck around 2Am. In speaking with a ranger later on about a bear cave I had found, I mentioned my late night on that peak. Oh that’s where the cats live she said. I said yea I figuired that out.....

hell, i’ve been repeated mauled by several different cougars through the years. some of the best times i have ever had.

on a serious note...i can not image the pure hell dude endured while choking that fucker out. even at 80 pounds, the claws, front and back, digging and ripping, and the jaws....goodness gracious. that is spooky to imagine.

An update:

A 32-year-old trail runner was taken to a hospital after he said he was attacked and had to kill a mountain lion at Horsetooth Mountain Park west of Fort Collins Monday afternoon.
—————
The victim has since been released from the hospital and is at home recovering, a CPW spokesperson said. The man's name has not been released and it's being guarded "at his wishes", according to CPW.
—————
"[The man] didn't have any weapons," Petersburg explained. "He was really creative. He used his hands, feet -- things that were around him, and really it was just a fight for survival."
—————
The man didn't just fight off the animal, according to Petersburg. It appears to investigators that asphyxiation and some blunt force trauma to the head likely led to its death. The lion was pretty young - less than a year old - and likely a male, per CPW. It weighed less than 100 pounds.
—————
By the time crews found it, the lion was already being fed on by other animals, so it's not clear what its full weight was, Petersburg said. Wednesday, tests came back saying the mountain lion that attacked the man was not rabid.“

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...-park/73-4793b54a-6442-42d3-91e6-3841b0387250

Last edited:
No question. Cats are spartans.....

View attachment 7019042

Indeed. That being said, even a small caliber (like a .243 in this case) can bring down some large kitties...and the woman (an old Marine friend of mine) is all of maybe 100lbs soaking wet.
Jess' cat.jpg
jess' cat2.jpg

Indeed. That being said, even a small caliber (like a .243 in this case) can bring down some large kitties...and the woman (an old Marine friend of mine) is all of maybe 100lbs soaking wet.
View attachment 7019777View attachment 7019778

In the world of modern centerfire (and rimfire) rifles, I have been quick to learn that it is not about the caliber of the round, but the velocity that matters most. A polymer tipped varmint slug traveling between 3000 to 3800 FPS will do a lot of damage, regardless of size.

I have a buddy upstate who have whacked some pretty huge friggin' hogs as well as coyotes with a .17 WSM. The magnum guys would have gave him the stink-eye if he told them what he hunts with.

Nice photos by the way, that was a cat that would have done some significant harm. Great shoot!

I just read that the carcass had been 'feasted upon' by other creatures when it had been found. This guy deserves to have a crown made, and use the fangs and claws as the 'points' of said crown. Not unlike that king in the tv show (I can't remember) in Vikings or Game of Thrones.... one of them.

Either way, some may 'nay-say' about it "only" being an 80 lb cat. I counter with "being inside a blender and trying to stop the blades, and succeeding". From eleventy different angles. :D

Good Job. And YES, he should be able to keep the remains, and do what he wants with them. He's definitely EARNED the Right.

Smothering that cat by holding his jaws shut and covering it's nose, means that his other limbs and body contortions were dealing with the cat's writhing, and attempts to disembowel him with it's hind claws, and to grab and scour him with it's forepaws. If you have ever tried to hold a house cat for suturing or other procedure, you know what a handful it is, and how well they can bring to bear all of their weapons. Trying that alone, with an animal of at least 80 lbs, has got to be an exercise in body management.

I have previously given thought to what to do if ever attacked by an animal and unarmed.

Usually I think dog because if its bears in the area Im armed.

We dont have cats, "officially" if not actually , in the Northeast so I never thought about cat attack.

All I could come up with is either trying to get hold of a leg tail or enough neck to start swinging the animal in circles and trying to beat it against a tree or something to incapacitate it before I got too dizzy from spinning.

or......

try to wrap it up some how and than attempt to either pile drive it on its spine or head and break the CNS path.

What ever course requires to fight it into a position of advantage and Ill be taking major damage while doing so - thinking lost fingers and ripped out eye type damage.

Last edited:
That SOB is huge!! I didn’t know they got that dam big!! What did that thing weigh!

Smothering that cat by holding his jaws shut and covering it's nose, means that his other limbs and body contortions were dealing with the cat's writhing, and attempts to disembowel him with it's hind claws, and to grab and scour him with it's forepaws. If you have ever tried to hold a house cat for suturing or other procedure, you know what a handful it is, and how well they can bring to bear all of their weapons. Trying that alone, with an animal of at least 80 lbs, has got to be an exercise in body management.

Felines and canines can't articulate their front arms to strike something on their back. So, if you can wrap your legs around the cat low enough to pin their rear legs while mounted on their back, and pin the front of the cat down (with on arm splayed out, and trapped by the ground) it is possible to use one arm to pin the cat's remaining front limb (think half nelson), and use your other arm to smother, choke, or beat the cat in the head with a rock.

At least that is how it was explained to me once by an old timer...he was a gnarly, crusty old fucker, so take it for what it's worth as to whether it's true or not....

At least that is how it was explained to me once by an old timer...he was a gnarly, crusty old fucker, so take it for what it's worth as to whether it's true or not....

Did he happen to have four parallel scars on his face and a really sweet pair of cougar fur lined lounge slippers?

Reactions: MarinePMI
Im almost starting to feel bad for the cat now.

Millenia of instinct was turned on end.

That Catamount was probably thinking

"No, this cant be happening! Im the apex predator here! This is soooooo fucking not happening!"

and than everything went dark.

Reactions: MarinePMI
That’s when he found himself in a fight for his life with a 40-pound mountain lion.

I remembered the other sources saying that it was an 80 pound mountain lion. Now this one is saying 40 pounds?..........Typical media and their 'accuracy'.

But I am wholly glad that this guy was able to recover fully and enjoy Valentine's Day with his girlfriend...Must be surreal for both of them knowing that he had barely escaped the clutches of death on that day in the woods.

Now this:
“When I got dropped off at the front door, I went through the metal detector and went to the desk.

Metal detectors in a hospital? Wut?

I have previously given thought to what to do if ever attacked by an animal and unarmed.

Usually I think dog because if its bears in the area Im armed.

We dont have cats, "officially" if not actually , in the Northeast so I never thought about cat attack.

All I could come up with is either trying to get hold of a leg tail or enough neck to start swinging the animal in circles and trying to beat it against a tree or something to incapacitate it before I got too dizzy from spinning.

or......

try to wrap it up some how and than attempt to either pile drive it on its spine or head and break the CNS path.

What ever course requires to fight it into a position of advantage and Ill be taking major damage while doing so - thinking lost fingers and ripped out eye type damage.

Your thinking mirrors mine... and I have had to fight a dog twice. First one was a 40ish lb mutt. This dog trying to kill me seemed wayyy stronger than 40lbs. But I was eventually able to launch him into a stair case. Second time was a Shepard that was much larger than 40lbs. I was near a pool so I wrapped him up and took him into the deep end.

Having been through that I am simply gobsmacked by this dude. 80lbs of wild cat. Yes, Maximus Decimus Meridiud award all the way.

I have had the conversation with friends (usually alcohol fueled) over which is the most badass land animal in a one on one. Grizzly, Siberian tiger...? I thought a mountain gorilla might be because it can wield a weapon - imagine one of those fuckers with an Easton baseball bat in each fist. But I always said the giant cat would win out because of speed.

A few of y'all talk about it's paws wailing away. I'm trying to imagine this brass-balled motherfucker wrestling this cat while maintaining focus on the jaws and nostrils while 4 sets of paws are flying about at blinding speed. Just awesome.

Your thinking mirrors mine... and I have had to fight a dog twice. First one was a 40ish lb mutt. This dog trying to kill me seemed wayyy stronger than 40lbs. But I was eventually able to launch him into a stair case. Second time was a Shepard that was much larger than 40lbs. I was near a pool so I wrapped him up and took him into the deep end.

Having been through that I am simply gobsmacked by this dude. 80lbs of wild cat. Yes, Maximus Decimus Meridiud award all the way.

I have had the conversation with friends (usually alcohol fueled) over which is the most badass land animal in a one on one. Grizzly, Siberian tiger...? I thought a mountain gorilla might be because it can wield a weapon - imagine one of those fuckers with an Easton baseball bat in each fist. But I always said the giant cat would win out because of speed.

A few of y'all talk about it's paws wailing away. I'm trying to imagine this brass-balled motherfucker wrestling this cat while maintaining focus on the jaws and nostrils while 4 sets of paws are flying about at blinding speed. Just awesome.

Wild animals tend to way out fight their weight class.

Yeah a chimpanzee is just a small human but it will rip your arm from your socket or, as that lady in CT showed, eat your fingers as you instinctively defend while ripping your face off.

It makes my stomach ill thinking of that type of fight.

The dive in the water with the Shepard was a good tactic. Forced him to focus on a more pressing survival threat - drowning - which short circuited the attack path.

Reactions: JimLee
Guy is making the interview circuit and he looks better than expected but Im thinking he has a good dose of injury hidden under clothing.

Guess he killed it by stabbing with sticks.

Good old "Sticks and stones will break your bones".........

@Blue Sky Country

Yes! Metal detectors in the ER.

You wouldnt believe the amount of stuff our security (used to be good before hogtied by PC pansies).
I once was helping a guy just unloaded off a helicopter out of his leathers and found a loaded pistol in his vest and 2 serious knives (good quality). Think the pistol was an LCP. I cleared it because our security had changed by that point and the security guy in the room had no idea how to clear a pistol.
Police on scene didnt pat him down. Usually do but his injuries were serious and easy to forget if you’re worried the guy might die.

When I was working in the ER in the hood, the gang bangers would do a “home boy drop-off” rolling up in the ambulance bay and pushing a shot or stabbed guy out on the ground.
Most of the time they took their guns off em and not always.

I had a stethoscope (and a few “goodies” that were not advertised) and CCW was not allowed.

Preferred to help people and not wonder if they were armed.

@Blue Sky Country

Yes! Metal detectors in the ER.

You wouldnt believe the amount of stuff our security (used to be good before hogtied by PC pansies).
I once was helping a guy just unloaded off a helicopter out of his leathers and found a loaded pistol in his vest and 2 serious knives (good quality). Think the pistol was an LCP. I cleared it because our security had changed by that point and the security guy in the room had no idea how to clear a pistol.
Police on scene didnt pat him down. Usually do but his injuries were serious and easy to forget if you’re worried the guy might die.

When I was working in the ER in the hood, the gang bangers would do a “home boy drop-off” rolling up in the ambulance bay and pushing a shot or stabbed guy out on the ground.
Most of the time they took their guns off em and not always.

I had a stethoscope (and a few “goodies” that were not advertised) and CCW was not allowed.

Preferred to help people and not wonder if they were armed.

It seems like different facilities have their own methods of keeping their staff and patients safe. The reason why that initially surprised me was because I had never seen metal detectors in the largest of New York State hospitals.

I definitely see why you would have it as a good thing...Hospitals are a hotbed, and a magnet for attracting the most batshit and deranged individuals out there, not to mention all the EDP's who are still quite combative despite having an army of LE and medical staff literally sitting on them.

Once I was in a downtown Manhattan facility in the ER changing/installing light fixtures in the ceiling...Witnessed a HUGE tranny, 300+lbs. go on a rampage. Motherfucker got upset at some part of the treatment that the staff was trying to do for him. Basically walked 'round and 'round the ER, picking up stuff from the carts and throwing them around, knocking a couple of phones from the counters, all the while, in broken record fashion, going: "What the fuck is y'all problem huh?...That's not right", over and over again. All the while staff and patients just trying to get out of his way, and a wall of around 4 attendants and 2 security guys moving with him trying to talk him into chillin' the fuck out. After 5 minutes or so they were able to strap him down to a gurney and it took ALL of them...

You stay safe out there man. You guys have to handle a significant part of the work that police and corrections officers do and I seen how tough that shit is. Much respect.

Last edited:
A friend of mine, who is Ex-SF, was riding his quad in Colorado, on his way to where he was going to set up for Mule Deer. He was jumped on from behind by a big cat, which ripped his scalp completely off his head, and dragged him off the quad. It bit and broke his hand (3 Metacarpal), but he was able to fight it off. The quad rolled on without him, in the meantime, and went over a cliff, destroyed. He managed to walk several miles back to camp, where his sons (Ranger and SF) patched him up, and took him to a hospital (long drive). I have photos and Xray, but at this point don't have explicit permission to post them here. My buddy, Stan is a true bad ass. As I told him it would have killed an ordinary man.
Stan served with me in VN. He was infantry, in another Battalion, wounded three times, and sent to the rear (all the way to Ben Hoa) to go home, where he went to PIO, and asked for an assignment. He came out to us in Tiger Force. He retired after a couple of stints in Afghanistan. CSM, SOCOM. He jump-mastered both his sons graduation jumps in Rangers and SF. Most pleasant guy I have ever known.

Reactions: JimLee