• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Badger M5 Bedding Pillars

Highground

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Michigan
I see that the M5 comes with bedding pillars, but the M5 floorplate does not. Would someone be willing to educate me on the need for the pillars with the M5? Are these the same pillars that one would use if they were pillar bedding an action? Just wanted to get gain some knowledge in this area.

Re: Badger M5 Bedding Pillars

The M5 is more critical due to the spacing requirements of the magazine. If there isn't enough room, the mag won't seat all the way, if there is too much, the mag won't feed as well.

Dave

the Badger M4 bottom metal will drop right into the M5 DBM inlet (except for a .020" gap on the sides), so the pillars should be the same for either metal.

and yes, those pillars are the action bedding pillars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see that the M5 comes with bedding pillars, but the M5 floorplate does not.</div></div>

Just to clarify:

M5 = Detachable Box Mag (AICS Mag)
M4 = Hinged Floor Plate

There is no M5 with a floor plate.

The M4 bottom metal that GAP installed on a stock I had a while back, looked like it was bedded with something. It had a thin black layer around it between where they inletted the stock and the metal itself. I didn't have the stock long after that and never took it apart to see what it was. Is that a typical install?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M4 bottom metal that GAP installed on a stock I had a while back, looked like it was bedded with something. It had a thin black layer around it between where they inletted the stock and the metal itself. I didn't have the stock long after that and never took it apart to see what it was. Is that a typical install?</div></div>

It was most likely a stock inletted from McMillan for an M5 and they bedded it for the M4, the M5 is just a hair bigger so they fill in the void with bedding (that thin black layer). I've seen it on another of their stocks, perfectly sound way of doing it. On mine, when I converted to M5, I just dremeled out that thin black line and the M5 fit perfect.

J

Actually, that stock was just a BDL inlet. I guess it is possible that GAP could have accidently inletted it for a M5 and fixed it to work. It was no big deal, they did a good job and it looked fine. They will be the choice for the M5 when I have it done.

it's normal practice to bed the bottom metal on an all out build. even if it fits nice. but it could also be from when the pillars were glued in.