• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Bagged a couple more Chucks yesterday....

smack

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2003
North Central Washington
A few more Rockchucks with the old 7x57, 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip Seconds over 48.3 grains of H4350 and a Fed 210M. In close off hand shooting, made for some fun..

DSC03373.jpg

DSC03420.jpg

DSC03384.jpg

DSC03390.jpg

DSC03408.jpg

Re: Bagged a couple more Chucks yesterday....

SMACK I'm very impressed with the explosiveness those BT's had on your chucks. I didn't get the same results with my 308 with 125BT's. What distance were you shooting at? Was the last chuck facing you in the last pic? Thanks, John

All the above were shot at about 60 yards or less. The last one was facing me head on, made for a real mess with the BT's but I had shot a larger one a week earlier with a 140gr Nosler Accubond facing me head on. It launched him six or so feet in the air, entered his chest and exited in the middle of his back just above his tail. The exit hole was only about the size of a 50 cent piece.

This one was shot just behind the shoulder, 90 degrees to me with a 150 BT(7x57) at about 110 yards and as you can see it didn't toss him very far and the exit isn't that spectacular. I do way more damage with a 180gr BT and a .300 Win Mag or a 75gr V-Max out of a 6mm Remington when it comes to side shots.
DSC03370_1.jpg

DSC03381_1.jpg

It is fun to shoot them with the bigger stuff but most I just head shoot with a .223 due to the fact that's all they will show me.....
eek.gif

DSC01764.jpg

RockIsland003-1.jpg

This is a picture of a group of Chucks I took through the spotting scope.....

DSC02042.jpg

This is the same group on 14x through the scope on my AR, you can see the head of a second one above on the horizon and slightly to the left of the one I have lined up. The third is in the lower left edge of the scope.

DSC02047-1.jpg

Impressive. Heading back to Pa. in April and am hoping to whack me a few chucks while I am there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome pics SMACK, how much do you charge for a guided hunt </div></div>

A couple cold ones and a Subway sandwich.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome pics SMACK, how much do you charge for a guided hunt </div></div>

A couple cold ones and a Subway sandwich. </div></div>

Thats whats up.

Smack, thats friggin cool. Excuse the dumb question, but, are they just good target practice, or are they useful for something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smack, thats friggin cool. Excuse the dumb question, but, are they just good target practice, or are they useful for something? </div></div>

Sure, they're useful for something: target practice! A local orchardist who lets me shoot his property explained it like this: "You bust your ass growing good, pretty, food-grade apples, and then you pick them carefully off the tree and put 'em in a bin with about five pounds of chuck chit. I want 'em all dead."

1911fan

Rockchucks make awesome target practise and nothing goes to waste in the wild. I had some old receipe books that had groundhogs in the menu!. Never ate one though. Had some cougar last year though. It was really good, just like pig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome pics SMACK, how much do you charge for a guided hunt </div></div>

A couple cold ones and a Subway sandwich. </div></div>

I'd take you up on that if I lived closer.
smile.gif
Always thought chuck hunting looked like fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple cold ones and a Subway sandwich.</div></div>

Shit, let's go! I'll be at the Dirty Poker Run this Saturday (weather permitting) but I'm off Sunday and Monday.

1911fan

Those rockchucks look like a blast. Every once in a while you'll catch eastern hogs posing in the rocks like that, but rarely in groups like that. The most I've seen at one time was a sow and 4 pups in a dry pond. The AR made quick work of all 5 in a matter of seconds. The farmer loved it, he'd been after them for a while trying to get that pond to hold water. Looks like you're doing a good job of splitting those melons, keep it up.

"The AR made quick work of all 5 in a matter of seconds"

Way to go Arcorey! Send them all out together.

"The AR made quick work of all 5 in a matter of seconds"
Just finished my flat top upper to do the same. Nice work ARCOREY.

I really missed the AR late last summer when I robbed it of the scope for my M700 243. I like that 6mm smack down, but the instant gratification you get when you watch them drop in the scope with the AR and the option of an instant follow up are nice too. I haven't had an opportunity for more than 2 targets at once since that day. I couldn't help but laugh when everything settled. I hit the large female first, then started nailing them at the hole and worked my way out into the dry pond. I had belly crawled to the top of of a nearby hill and ranged them at 200 yds even, my zero range. I set out the bipods, unloaded the legs, set my rear bag, and went to town on their little rat asses
laugh.gif

the chucks are not out here yet but look forward to the warmer weather and their arrival

Any chance you'd be willing to share that shooting location?

I could always use some pop-up target practice!

It's a funny thing. Last year, my partner and I shot over 250 rockchucks, a banner year for us. We did it by driving around and glassing, and we found the SERTS in places we'd never thought to look. Shots ranged from 36" to over 800 yards, some were very challenging and some... not so tough, especially the three-footer.

1911fan

Self Erecting Renewable Targets: SERTS!

Ick, no way I'll eat one of those things. I picked one up, once, for a friend to take a pic, and got mange from it. Seriously. And it looked healthy (except for having it's guts hanging out), no bald spots or anything.
Blast 'em and leave 'em. Got three today, my friend got seven.

1911fan

Where do you live? I have a new 25-06 that has been begging me to blast some chucks. I get laid off today for three weeks and need to get some trigger time.

I like to wait until the first hay cutting before we lay the smack down here in PA

Here is a loooong range kill I had last fall.

WhistlePig.jpg

Nine more on Saturday. Here are two pics.

Taking a little nap:
2009-04-26008.jpg

This guy was just passing the metal duct when the .223 pasted him into and then under the pole, shot on the run from about 20 feet. He was going from pic right to left.
2009-04-26014.jpg

1911fan