• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Baiting Prairie Dogs

phxfa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 9, 2010
    Arizona
    Im heading out to SD next week for a PD hunt and tannerite was brought up by my partner,,,Im looking for P dog heroin so to speak to bait them with, any ideas? Cherrios maybe stuck to the Tannerite bottle?

Re: Baiting Prairie Dogs

Combine tannerite with 'harrassing' wildlife and you may well find your 'trip' not so rewarding and amusing!

I've wondered about this before, I've got 6 five gallon buckets of old food storage wheat. I was thinking about taking it up to the PD towns and dumping it around for them to eat. I wasn't really planning on shooting them on the wheat, just a good way to get rid of it.
    I don't know how legal that would be . . . . . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Decider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sonic cheeseburgers, coated with fresh vagina juice from your mom, and topped with usama bin laden's brain matter... </div></div>
    Gotta bring the mom shit it in huh? ASSHOLE! How about that stub you call a penis?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other dead p-dogs </div></div>

seems to be what draws them out the most. Those little rat bastards like chewing on thier dead buddies.

Are P dogs considered a 'game' animal in SD? Feral hogs in TX are not so anything is pretty much game on,,full auto, whatever

Don't know exactly how far the laws go but there is a season on them on public lands and penalty for shooting one out of season is same as a big game animal, $1000.

For harrassing wildlife I doubt there is a difference whether game animal or vermin. Coyotes are a predator but you cannot chase/harass them on snowmobiles or motor vehicles. Also with tannerite or even ANFO there is the wording "malicious intent", that being decided in many cases by the arresting officer or legal agency. That wording in itself can be easily twisted about any way necessary if needed.

As there are protected burrowing owls, hawks, occassional eagles, song birds etc in near all dog towns the use of an explosive whether binary or not could/would be at the descretion of the landowner, neighbor, Forest Service employee or an LEO as to being "malicous" even if no state law legalized the possession or detonation as far as using it to kill/dispatch vermin. Just because you are/were on deeded land vs Forest Service, BLM, State etc wouldn't put you out of the reach of a 'harrassment' claim by disgruntled neighbor etc.

I was told P-dogs lovez teh Doritos? Mean to try that out this summer.
    smile.gif

This hunt will be on the Reservation, with a Native American guide,,,soveriegn nation and all that if it matters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saito</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told P-dogs lovez teh Doritos? Mean to try that out this summer.
    smile.gif
    </div></div>
    Nacho cheeze or Taco?!!!!!!!!!

Tom,you don't need any bait at all. If its many large P Dog towns you will run out of ammo before your run out of targets. Every once in awhile give a loud whistle and they stand up and look around. If you are shooting supressed,you can pick one off right next to another and they don't move. At least til they wander over and have a little snack of whats left of their friends. Have fun

here was the original plan conceived with a little alchohol,
    set a couple of tannerite charges down range (2-3 lbs each) with some type of PD bait around or on them, once the orgy starts on the bait/charge,,,BOOM! probably a bad idea,,,

Reservation court not the place you want to be unless you like leaving all your guns trucks and money you have with them. I am going to have to agree with sd whirlwind on this one better off not doing it but i will watch keloland news and see how it goes for you as that would make the news here if caught doing it.

silly rabbit chokers is there really a season on pdogs in the wonderful state of sd?you have to be shitting me.hey come to wyoming you can shoot as many as you want any time you please.as far as i know there is no law here agianst tannerite for pdogs either.hell we were thinkin the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: motodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">silly rabbit chokers is there really a season on pdogs in the wonderful state of sd?</div></div>
    no, but on the rez...YES!!! i'm good friends with two Rosebud game wardens, and they bust people all the time for parking in the ditch and poppin dogs off, i guess they make alot of money taken guys out pdoggin... regarding bait, your wheat, rye, oats, small grains will work a hell of alot better than your doritos and pizza, we must have some city slickers ehhh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This hunt will be on the Reservation, with a Native American guide,,,soveriegn nation and all that if it matters. </div></div>

Congress has plenary power and as such can abrogate 'reserved rights' (treaties) - Tee-Hit-Ton v. U.S.

Furthermore, tribes are no longer considered 'sovereign nations' they are 'domestic dependent nations' and have been since the 1820-30s. See Cherokee Nation v. Georgia and Johnson v. McIntosh.

In short, you are still under U.S. jurisdiction even when you're on a reservation and any Native you break the law with on 'Indian land' (u.s. v. Sandoval) is subject to being tried in both Fed court (General Crimes Act) and their tribe... (See Wheeler, Lara and Oliphant). In short, be careful.

That being said, you need to be EXTRA careful on the 'res' believe me as this is one of my areas of specialty.

Personally, I find patience and grass to be the best bait for P-Dogs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Decider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sonic cheeseburgers, coated with fresh vagina juice from your mom, and topped with usama bin laden's brain matter... </div></div>

That is some funny Shit!!!! I'm laughing my @$$ off. This is one of the most entertaining threads I've read in a long time. Since so many are on a roll here thought I'd share one that I heard about but haven't tried. Some guys I work with go "p-dog fishing". They take a spinning rod with 10# test. Run about 60 yards or more of line out to the pdog burrow and make a lasso with swivel and the end of the and place it around the hole. Patience and some glassing with binos and when the pdog starts coming out of the hole a quick set (like your setting a hook on a bass) with the rod and the pdog is lassoed. They don't let them get in the hole, they play em a while and they say when they let enough slack in the line the noose loosens and the pdog runs away. Catch and release for them - but I guess you could shoot them in the face when you get them close. One little note, they said most run away until the ten yard mark- then they run at you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: metal2meat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Decider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sonic cheeseburgers, coated with fresh vagina juice from your mom, and topped with usama bin laden's brain matter... </div></div>

That is some funny Shit!!!! I'm laughing my @$$ off. This is one of the most entertaining threads I've read in a long time. Since so many are on a roll here thought I'd share one that I heard about but haven't tried. Some guys I work with go "p-dog fishing". They take a spinning rod with 10# test. Run about 60 yards or more of line out to the pdog burrow and make a lasso with swivel and the end of the and place it around the hole. Patience and some glassing with binos and when the pdog starts coming out of the hole a quick set (like your setting a hook on a bass) with the rod and the pdog is lassoed. They don't let them get in the hole, they play em a while and they say when they let enough slack in the line the noose loosens and the pdog runs away. Catch and release for them - but I guess you could shoot them in the face when you get them close. One little note, they said most run away until the ten yard mark- then they run at you! </div></div>
    pdog fishing now that is some good stuff rite there

-----------------------------------
    Wow,????????????????????????? !!!

If u have a Foxpro call they offer a p-dog all clear whistle on call list that works.

I had a friend that had a mp3 program that he downloaded to his iPhone that had a looped recording of prairie dogs feeding. That's something worth thinking about if you played it through some speakers.

Laws vary on the different reservations, depending on several factors. Most if not all the reservations in South Dakota are soveriegn nations albeit dependent soveriegn nations, and the laws there are jurisdictional nightmares. If you are non native, the Tribal Law enforcement has no jurisdiction over you. However, if you break the law on Indian land, they can refer the matter to US Fish and Game and you may very well end up in federal court. If a tribal officer caches you breaking the law on state (non Indian) land inside the exterior boundary of the reservation, they can detain you for the county sheriff or state game officer, who will be happy to ticket you or arrest you as appropriate. Also, some counties cross designate and give authority to tribal officers, to make matter more confusing.
    If you are going to hunt on or near tribal land, be abolutely sure you know where you are at, who own the land and that you are licensed properly. If you hunt the reservations, the regulations change with the reservation and some require guides. The quality of the guides vary from outstanding to awful (as with most things in life). A lot of the reservations in SoDak have huge P dog populations, but they are high crime, high unemployment, high levels of alcohol and drug abuse and you do have to pay attention to your surrounding, to include watching out for drunk drivers as each year a significant numbers of vehicular homicides occur on the reservations there. Some of the poorest counties in the US are the reservations in Sodak. As a matter of fact, Buffalo county, which is the Crow Creek Reservation, is the poorest county in the United States.
    The Varmint Hunters Association in Fort Pierre, SD is a huge resource as well the classified ads in the back of their magazine used to list reputable guides. Also, Teton River Traders is a great gun shop in Fort Pierre and may be able to point out where to go.
    Sorry, got a little off topic.