• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ballistic ae elevation (for scope)

pitdog85

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Can anyone help me before I delete this app off my phone. The litz formulas for scope correction do not work on this app. If I want to put a 1% adjustment in there how the hell do you do it? For example if my scope moves 1% more than it supposed to the correction factor should be less than 1 (.989) which makes sense as the adjustment is so the scope moves slightly less with each click. When you put this in it does the opposite??

In the manual it says for versions 4.7 and above you multiply??? Multiply what??

Have you sent them an email to ask? Not sure the answer but here is what I found (same thing you did I assume):

Elevation / Windage Turret Value: Some scopes are not exact; that is, one click does not necessarily equal exactly one MOA or one Mil. If you know the actual click value of your scope turrets (for example .982), you can enter it here. The output units (regardless of whether they’re MOA, mRad, or anything else) will automatically be divided by this value, to give you an accurate number of clicks. For example, if your turret value is 1/3 of a click and your output is 5 MOA, then enter .333 in this field. The output will read 15.01 (5 / .333). NOTE: Versions < 4.7 multiply this value, rather than divide it. Division is the correct way to compensate for turret correction, so if you’re using an older version below 4.7, you’d enter 3.333 instead of .333.

Reactions: pitdog85
Agreed. It sort of is backwards as a correction factor and caused me a lot of confusion when I was first figuring it out. However, if you look at it from this point of view it makes more sense.

Let’s assume you do a 10 mil tall target test at 100 meter distance. The expected elevation displacement at +10 mil is 100 centimeters at the 100 meter distance but you find that the actual displacement when dialing 10 mil on your scope was 110 centimeters. In reality, each of your scope clicks is 10% longer than the ideal click, or 1.10.

110 Actual cm / 100 Expected cm = 1.10.

This is the number you put in for your elevation turret correction value. Since each click on your turret is 10% larger it makes sense that you will need less of these larger displacement clicks when your solution calls for a true 10 mil correction (100 cm at 100m).

Hence, a true 10 mil correction will call for approximately a 9.1 mil correction when using your turret, which is moving using the 10% larger clicks.

Hopefully this makes sense. Took me a bit to get my mind to look at it from this perspective.

Reactions: pitdog85
Thanks mate part of my problem was I was comparing a JBM print out with the same environmentals etc as ballistic AE thinking they are exactly the same but they are not this was throwing me off.

Once I compared a screen of non corrected data from ballistic AE with corrected data like you said things added up a bit more. However I went through and compared data at 500m, 1000m and 1400m with both corrected and non corrected and found that when you put in a 1% correction it doesn't compute to exactly at 1% I think this may be due to .1moa being to large of increments to get proper accuracy. Ballistic AE does not change the column in inches when you change the correction factor only the moa column.

Anyway thanks again what it gives is good enough I tend to over analyse things.