• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic Calculator App for iPhone

joshua2727

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2018
Which app do you guys recommend as being the most reliable and accurate for shooting out to 1000 yards?

My current setup is a Ruger Precision Rifle with a Vortex Viper PST 2 5-25 shooting primarily Barnes and Hornady factory match ammunition.

I don't mind paying for the app, I just want whichever is the best.

Which app do you guys recommend as being the most reliable and accurate for shooting out to 1000 yards?

My current setup is a Ruger Precision Rifle with a Vortex Viper PST 2 5-25 shooting primarily Barnes and Hornady factory match ammunition.

Hornady 4DOF or Applied bllistics. Ballistic AE is another alternative as well as shooter. i would like to recommend TRASOL but at this time i just cant.

i would suggest looking at ballsitic calculator area in the Marksmanship area. lots of good info there on all these.

I have ballistic AE and shooter. I dont remember the last time I used Ballistic AE. Shooter is just easy.

Applied Ballistics . Have a look at their website , you may be surprised at the amount of devices their
solver is embedded in , and the volume of free information there .

They all are about the same. I know people love their apps. But, apps are all very close to each other output wise to about 1K (or at SS distances) and they all the phones shut off due to heat, killing the apps.

I agree with TacticalDillhole on Trasol, but can not on Hornady as I have seen bugs. AB is cool and has tons of fans, but dang it can be a struggle with updates etc. Nothing wrong with AB, just make sure you understand how to use it and the real limitations. With bullets over $1 each, I don't get why so many focus on the app cost. Focus on the feature set you want.

If you're shooting matches, there is a relatively new comer, no more accurate than my statement above, but if offers easy, cheap wind and weather integration in place of the more expensive Kestrel. The weather unit is about $85, it can link to the kestrel too. If that interests you, BalisticArc is worth a look. https://geoballistics.com/product/ballisticsarc-app/

It also has some GPS range finding that is a cute feature.. But the real value is the robust range card feature. This is ideal for matches were the stages are handed out in the briefing or even if you're setup at you favorite hunting spot. You can set each DOF, AOF and a prevailing wind value will be displayed as the unique wind value for each AOF and distance. Or if you wish, just use a full value setting and use your head to override. You can most importantly have multiple stages or range cards. This feature is a bit like FFS but on a manual scale vrs tethered to a Vectronix.​

My only 2 cents is, don't make to much of the marketing hype of the apps. They either have the features you need or they don't for shooting distances that are SS.

Last edited:
Trasol works great......when it works. If you are shooting Hornady factory ammo I would use the Hornady app its legit for their bullets because it has the custom doppler radar data for their bullets (basically the custom drag curve)

I have used and tried many of them including Bulletflight, Ballistic AE, Shooter, and Hornady 4DOF, but now my primary ballistic software is a Kestrel Elite. I shoot Hornady 140 ELDMs in 6.5 and of all the phone apps, I found Hornady 4DOF to be the easiest to use and adjust and the most accurate, which is pretty impressive because it's free. 4DOF also pulls the atmospheric data straight from my Kestrel. Next to Hornady 4DOF, I found Shooter and Ballistic AE to be about the same, equal accuracy, you have to tweak BCs to get it to match your real world data, but I liked the way Shooter works a little better than Ballistic AE. All except for Bulletflight allow you to input a factor for ammunition temperature sensitivity which I find is important for most powders except for H4350 or Varget.

I used to use Ballistic AE until whoever on instagram that markets this app is a mfer. i know it seems petty but he steals peoples pictures and tries to pass them off as his own to promote the app. that pisses me off. and the more I called him out the more he kept doing it until I blocked him.

so i deleted that app and i now use Ballistic Arc. it's simple, intuitive, and pairs with the weatherflow meter. it's worked great for me in matches and out to 1000 yards.

so another +1 for Ballistic Arc from me

Reactions: GeoJoe
I have used and tried many of them including Bulletflight, Ballistic AE, Shooter, and Hornady 4DOF, but now my primary ballistic software is a Kestrel Elite. I shoot Hornady 140 ELDMs in 6.5 and of all the phone apps, I found Hornady 4DOF to be the easiest to use and adjust and the most accurate, which is pretty impressive because it's free. 4DOF also pulls the atmospheric data straight from my Kestrel. Next to Hornady 4DOF, I found Shooter and Ballistic AE to be about the same, equal accuracy, you have to tweak BCs to get it to match your real world data, but I liked the way Shooter works a little better than Ballistic AE. All except for Bulletflight allow you to input a factor for ammunition temperature sensitivity which I find is important for most powders except for H4350 or Varget.
Navigating AB and 4DOF sucks balls compared to Strelok, accuracy not withstanding. Strelok is just as accurate, and much more intuitive. I haven't tried Ballistic Arc, but that will probably be the next one I download.

I like cross referencing and I like variety, so I keep them all.

I like cross referencing and I like variety, so I keep them all.

In a nut shell :) ~ 100% agree. That, or the fact that a lot of us are just nuts or maybe always looking for the interface that matches our workflow the best.

OP, you are not going to go wrong with any of the popular choices. Try a few and get something that is easy. You can always upgrade to something more complex later if you think you really are missing a feature. If you are an engineer, you'll gravitate to one type of app, type A to another.

With that said, here is what I use (not that it matters) as it is mostly as @Skookum said "and much more intuitive". If you can't use your tools correctly and fast, they are not worth much.
For positional matches and basic shooting: I am super happy with BallsiticARC - but I do run the program and transfer to hard copies. I do NOT have my phone out during a match. But, I guess I could, I've seen a guy using the range card feature on his phone mounted on his gun and another the phone was in a wrist coach. It is super fast to use and switch an entire matches stage sets between guns and toggle between range cards. I use it in a lot of matches and been very happy with some of my finishes and happy with most. Ok, had a few really bad ones too, but that was not the apps fault :) . This has become the program I use the most.​
For ELR: FFS and Cold Bore​
For desktop: Cold Bore and AB Analytics​
For backup - I do carry a Kestrel AB, but after so many tuning, transfer from AB Analytics issues and the slow speed of field use, I rarely use it.​
Wishes:
1. BallsiticARC to have a wind budget (two wind columns), a bit more BC tuning for ELR​
2.FFS, I wish Blaine would come up with his feature set to run on a windows phone. Got tired of running the Trimble, CB is great but doesn't work as well with my brain and the range cards are not as robust.​
3. CB mobile to have range cards and be a bit more intuitive to me.​
4. AB better range cards (multiple) and each with it own AOF, DOF to a master wind, faster to use, less buggy, DSF to work across platforms and to be more reasonable in the tuning distance.​

They all are about the same. I know people love their apps. But, apps are all very close to each other output wise to about 1K (or at SS distances) and they all the phones shut off due to heat, killing the apps.

I agree with TacticalDillhole on Trasol, but can not on Hornady as I have seen bugs. AB is cool and has tons of fans, but dang it can be a struggle with updates etc. Nothing wrong with AB, just make sure you understand how to use it and the real limitations. With bullets over $1 each, I don't get why so many focus on the app cost. Focus on the feature set you want.

If you're shooting matches, there is a relatively new comer, no more accurate than my statement above, but if offers easy, cheap wind and weather integration in place of the more expensive Kestrel. The weather unit is about $85, it can link to the kestrel too. If that interests you, BalisticArc is worth a look. https://geoballistics.com/product/ballisticsarc-app/

It also has some GPS range finding that is a cute feature.. But the real value is the robust range card feature. This is ideal for matches were the stages are handed out in the briefing or even if you're setup at you favorite hunting spot. You can set each DOF, AOF and a prevailing wind value will be displayed as the unique wind value for each AOF and distance. Or if you wish, just use a full value setting and use your head to override. You can most importantly have multiple stages or range cards. This feature is a bit like FFS but on a manual scale vrs tethered to a Vectronix.​

My only 2 cents is, don't make to much of the marketing hype of the apps. They either have the features you need or they don't for shooting distances that are SS.

Thanks for the plug Diver. We're constantly working on development at GB and the range card feature is getting some beautiful upgrades as we speak!

Thanks for the plug Diver. We're constantly working on development at GB and the range card feature is getting some beautiful upgrades as we speak!
I was on FFS and CB before the apps where real. I think “shooter” and “AE” Were somewhat revolutionary in that they were amongst the first to bring robust solutions to a new mass of shooters.

By that same logic, I have to say BallisticARC with it’s range card is kinda the same type of game-changer for a lot of us shooting stages.

Honestly when I first tested it, I really didn’t realize it’s true utility. Even on your website that part is not played up enough :)

It’s is amongst my favorite new products in the last five years.

I'm pretty new to precision shooting, having just started this spring. After getting my rifle setup I didn't have the cash to shell out for a kestrel. So I picked up one of the geoballistics weatherflow meters that pairs with the ballisticsARC app. For a new shooter like me the app has been very easy to navigate and use. Calculations have been spot on out to 1000m (the farthest distance I have had access to shoot so far).

Reactions: Olen_4504
Would love to see BallisticARC allow me to set "Solution Units", or click values, per rifle instead of globally. I have some rifles with MOA and some with MRAD scopes and it's annoying to have to keep going back to settings to get the chart to read proper click values.

Other than that, I love the app.

Reactions: Long Range 338
Would love to see BallisticARC allow me to set "Solution Units", or click values, per rifle instead of globally. I have some rifles with MOA and some with MRAD scopes and it's annoying to have to keep going back to settings to get the chart to read proper click values.

Whats MOA? ;)

Reactions: Long Range 338

Agreed

There are soooo many choices....

I seldom use a phone app for all of the reasons quoted by others. In the field, I rely either on the Kestrel with AB or my DOPE cards generated by Coldbore. I do have a Trimble with CB on it but as @Diver160651 stated, it is cumbersome (large and bulky).

When I have to use the iPhone, I tend to use AB since I run it on my Kestrel and it does work quite well. I also have used Ballistics AE and find it pretty easy to use. I keep reading the comments about Strelok and BallisticARC but haven't given them a go yet. I have tried the 4DOF and the Lapua 6DOF but they are limited and buggy so even though they are on my iPhone, they are just sitting there.

I would encourage you to really check out as many of them as possible. Although most will provide the same degree of accuracy, until you get to ELR conditions, they all are markedly different in their user interface and features. You will likely gravitate to the one that is most intuitive for you.

I downloaded Ballistic Arc a few days ago and have been putting it through the paces. I like it a lot. Very simple to use, and I like that it is quick and easy to toggle back and forth from rifle to rifle leaving all else the same. Out to 1200 yards or so, it is as accurate as any of my other programs. It has the limitation of being a single BC program, but really handy to use. The range card feature is nice too. This is the only other app I've seen besides Strelock Pro that actually allows you to build a target list.

Reactions: Diver160651
^ yes, best range cards for the “apps”. But FFS is ultra robust and tethered to a Vectronix is just about in it’s own playing field. The downside is the Trimble’s size.

As you pointed out, defiantly best for the field or PRS/NRL matches, not an ELR type program.

Since you have asked, I recommend my own app, Sendit Ballistics. It's iOS only right now. I made the app to be simple, yet accurate. You can input as much or little weather information as you like. The home screen opens to the default gun, with a correction ready to go.

I have had great accuracy with it from several different rifles. I walked it through my sniper school DOPE book and every correction matched my DOPE to within a half minute. Check it out and let me know your thoughts. Free to 250 meters, $4.99 after. I'll bump the price as I add features, but once you own it you own it, regardless of price changes later.

Sendit Ballistics on the iTunes Store

Great rifle setup BTW, I've been quite impressed with the RPRs.

I downloaded Ballistic Arc a few days ago and have been putting it through the paces. I like it a lot. Very simple to use, and I like that it is quick and easy to toggle back and forth from rifle to rifle leaving all else the same. Out to 1200 yards or so, it is as accurate as any of my other programs. It has the limitation of being a single BC program, but really handy to use. The range card feature is nice too. This is the only other app I've seen besides Strelock Pro that actually allows you to build a target list.

We do handle multiple BCs in the library, just don't have a user interface to input them. We'll add that in at some point with a BC truing calc. Timeline is TBD on that feature. If you have a multi-BC profile you want added, I can do that. I can also add CDMs as well if you have the data.

I like it really easy to use and I like that it has my scopes exact reticle and gives a hold if you don’t want to dial dope
So does StrelokPro.

I started this crazy game with StrelokPro because the instructor at the first class I took recommended it. I've downloaded and tried others but StrelokPro works very well for me.

I like it really easy to use and I like that it has my scopes exact reticle and gives a hold if you don’t want to dial dope

I'd probably give a try but from the program features it doesn't list as being able to connect via bluetooth to weather meteres. That correct? That is a feature I like of other apps.

I'd probably give a try but from the program features it doesn't list as being able to connect via bluetooth to weather meteres. That correct? That is a feature I like of other apps.
I see a lot of people getting hung up on this.

If you know your altitude, then you know your standard pressure at that altitude. You just start with 29.92 (I just use 30.0 to make it easier) at sea level and subtract 1 inHg for every 1,000 ft. If you have a kestrel or some other device that gives station pressure, then just enter that.

You can probably guess the temp within 10 degrees.

If you can do these things, you don't need bluetooth and you don't need a weather meter. Believe me, any variance between these estimates and actual will not show up on the target unless you are shooting 1,500+ yards.

Actually it does have Kestrel Drop Integration
7ED109D3-89E9-4368-917D-C2D8BE302AA4.png

Is there something in the works to account for zeroing altitude, density elevation and climate conditions vs. current?

This may be something that already exist but I have searched the app to see how I can save current conditions and have not been able to find it.