• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ballistic FTE and DA problem

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ
So I was looking for an iPod touch and I wound up with my buddy's iPhone 3.
I updated phone to newest software then bought Ballistic FTE .

I figured out how to set the HUD for DA but can't use it in other trajectory calcs.
Also, the DA is doing nothing. 000 and 10,000 DA are giving me same elevation at 1000yds.

I had real high hopes since JBM online is what I use for predicting DA calcs, but I wound up usingmy OLD pssf on my ancient Centro since the new whizbang wasn't doing what I bought it for!

Re: Ballistic FTE and DA problem

Uh-oh... I've got an Ipod Touch on its way and I plan to install Ballistic FTE too. Let me know if you get it figured out.

Ok before you use the HUD you have to create a load setup. Have you done this yet ?

Mine works perfect I just ran it a few minutes ago.

Aron-

Yup, load created in trajectory, saved to favorites then pulled into HUD. HUD is also only atmosphere that shows DA.
With DA set at local (2500) I get the right dope for 1000, but when DA is changed to 10000 the output is the same.
The "save" isn't working either-have to pick load each time I open FTE, and re-enter atmospheric info.

Deleted and redownloaded app from iTunes and it's the same. Updated phone prior to buying app.

Did you Save the Fav with the D/A turned On in settings ? Create a New Fav and see if you get the same results....

Yup, the only DA option I have is in the HUD mode. I did recreate my profiles with it on and the atmosphere switch set to on.

Everytime I enter it defaults to 171 DA and no profiel selected as well, even though the save feature is selected in the iPhone general settings for FTE.

At this point its pretty much wasted money and DA cards made from JBM online hanging from the rifle are a better bet.

I used a 10 year old palm program after getting frustrated with FTE last weekend (I drop its barometric pressure input 1 in/hg for every 2500 rise in DA and it hits dead on.

FTE tells me I need 8.1 mils at 1K for 1000DA and 8.1 mils for 12500DA.

You figured how to set Ballistic FTE to use <span style="text-decoration: underline">Density Altitude</span>?! Please share the configuration steps.

I was sure FTE didn't support DA until I actually checked Jonathan's Web site. I still can find no switch to enable it, nor see the field where it would go (except for Altitude?)... <span style="font-style: italic">I must say that I'm using FTE on iTouch 4, not iPhone (may borrow iPhone though and check, just for the fun of it). But AFAIK it should make no difference.</span>

Anyway, when I just changed the altitude in the "Atmosphere" from 1000m to 5000m, the HUD promptly changed from 12.8mRad to 8.8mRad. In the main Settings disabling Altitude/Pressure Update made no difference - I still get the (presumably) correct 12.8 and 8.8 mrad.

<span style="font-style: italic">In the meanwhile - do like we all do, take Station (Absolute) Pressure from Kestrel and let FTE compute Mach and DA itself. </span>
grin.gif

Just found this by googling:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mash the big button on phone...
Hit the settings icon
Scroll down to and click on the FTE Icon
Click on JBM Computer
under Atmosphere change it to Density Altitude

Reboot the phone

Now you can enter D/A instead of all that other shit.</div></div>

My phone is rebooting as I type, will post what happens.

Crap, still doesn't change elevation data with DA change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the meanwhile - do like we all do, take Station (Absolute) Pressure from Kestrel and let FTE compute Mach and DA itself. grin</div></div>

Just another example of folks here saying how great shit is, then finding the flaws after paying for it. I'm fully capable of adjusting staion pressure and altitudes in the programs I had before I paid money for one that I can use DA with (only to find it doesn't work).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just found this by googling:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hit the settings icon
Click on JBM Computer

Reboot the phone

</div></div>
I see.

How exactly do you enter the atmospheric parameters then? What value to what field?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My phone is rebooting as I type, will post what happens.

Crap, still doesn't change elevation data with DA change.</div></div>
Sorry to hear that. No clue how to proceed, short of emailing Jonathan and hoping he'd be reasonable in responding and/or fixing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the meanwhile - do like we all do, take Station (Absolute) Pressure from Kestrel and let FTE compute Mach and DA itself. grin</div></div>

Just another example of folks here saying how great shit is, then finding the flaws after paying for it. I'm fully capable of adjusting staion pressure and altitudes in the programs I had before I paid money for one that I can use DA with (only to find it doesn't work).</div></div>
Well, my pet peeve with FTE is that when I change anything about a projectile (like put a more accurate BC), its name irrevokably changes to "Custom Projectile". That pretty much eliminates any possibility of meaningful graph comparison. Very inconvenient. I also like Bullet Flight user interface better.

On the other hand, even though Jonathan isn't quick taking care of this - the rest of the functionality seems to be outstanding, so I don't regret the money spent on it.

If you bought this program solely because you wanted to use DA capability - well, my sympathy - and hopefully it will be fixed.

BTW, where are you getting DA values from?

<span style="font-style: italic">I'll experiment with iPhone as time allows. If I find anything useful wrt. this problem - I'll post here.</span>

Thanks Mouse, Kestrel 4000 provides my DA.

And yeah, its a bummer because the DA ability was why I spent the dough on FTE instead of just licensing the BulletFlight that was on the phone I got from a buddy over into my name for updates.

Its not so much the $20, its just annoying and I'd really love to find the trick to make it work, because I really like JBM.

doesn't anyone use a ballistic card set with 3 or 4 altitudes and temps already figured? The difference between a couple thousand feet is just not particularly significant when you really look at it. Cards are much less likely to break or fail when they get wet too.

Am I too old fashioned?

No you are not too old fashioned, but the thread is not titled "which is better, my Dope sheets hanging on my rifle or new fangled computational accessories?"

The thread is trying to troubleshoot a tool on the market that is purported to work one way and in actuality is not turning out to be a user friendly way of doing such, hence (since I love to quote myself):

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883 from a post above</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
At this point its pretty much wasted money and DA cards made from JBM online hanging from the rifle are a better bet.
</div></div>

Using the method you posted above, from a earlier post of mine, has allowed me to set up 6 or 8 devices to do DA perfectly with FTE. All I enter is the DA in the HUD / Settings and it works like a charm.

Ace, I concur.

Sobr, I suspect you're screwing something up. I've configured the iTouch 4 (iOS v4.3.3) to use Density Altitude (yes I hate it when the device must be rebooted for the changes to take place), and it gave me about 1 mrad difference between 50m and 5000m DA for a 1000m shot (142gr pill, 260 Rem, 2890 fps).

Then I returned to "Meteorological" format, and input SLP pressure but varied the physical altitude. Guess what - <span style="text-decoration: underline">same</span> difference in elevation correction.

I conclude that DA in FTE works perfectly fine (at least in my iTouch - I'm too lazy to reboot iPhone, especially since it's charging now
smile.gif
).

Re: Ballistic FTE and DA-FIXED!!

Alright, everything is squared away and working now.

What was going on is I had selected "Ballistic" rather than "JBM" for the ballistic engine to conserve battery and enhance speed.....

^^^ Ya that will do that. The JBM setting is the most accurate for drops.

I was assuming that the "JBM" setting used the engine off JBM's server via wireless or 3g. That's what Iget for thinking....

^^ Well we always learn something new everyday don't we?
smile.gif

Just got my FTE set up for DA and I'm wondering about the "Mach" setting beside the DA. What excatly is this for and do I need to set it as well as DA?

Cheers.

The reason that is necessary is because the speed of sound is a function only of temperature. However, there are many combinations of temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure which will calculate to the same density altitude. So, if you want to know what the speed of sound is, you must specify the temperature.

I also could not get DA to work on my device...change the settings and reboot...no change. I finally deleted Ballistic FTE and re-installed. After installation I went straight to settings, changed to DA then rebooted. It's a miracle, DA now works. Don't know why but it works. If anyone does this, remember to document your favorites because they will be lost when the app is deleted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, everything is squared away and working now.

What was going on is I had selected "Ballistic" rather than "JBM" for the ballistic engine to conserve battery and enhance speed.....

</div></div>

I was wondering, how do you update FTE to aquire the JBM engine? I haven't tried to update in a long time. But i've noticed that with the same conditions it's off compared to JBM. It had my .308 load going 1269fps compared to JBM having it going 1238fps @ 1000yds acounting for a .2 mil difference at 1000yds. Not a huge deal, just i want it to be as accurate as possible for shooting small targets around 300-500yds.

Go into your iphone app section and hit the updates tab and should come up that there are new updates for the app.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It had my .308 load going 1269fps compared to JBM having it going 1238fps @ 1000yds acounting for a .2 mil difference at 1000yds. Not a huge deal, just i want it to be as accurate as possible for shooting small targets around 300-500yds. </div></div>

The best ballistic programs fed the best data are only going to get you withing a couple tenths at 1K off of solid field data at 1K and thats IF you get the atmospheric stuff right.

You do realize that a single digit ES handload will probably wind up more than the 31fps different shot to shot at that distance right?

If you want to be accurate at 300-500, shoot 300-500 and record your dope. 300 yds it take a gigantic DA shift to make a 2" difference.

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about it, because the best programs need to be tweaked to match real data at distance. As far as ballistic calcs go, they are all pretty much the same (Pesja based equations). My most accurate is still my free PocketSharpshooter's Friend Palm program.
-the above comment is not applicable to transonic data, the latest generation stuff like Patagonia and Lex Talus' FFS are needed to handle that well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The best ballistic programs fed the best data are only going to get you withing a couple tenths at 1K off of solid field data at 1K and thats IF you get the atmospheric stuff right.

You do realize that a single digit ES handload will probably wind up more than the 31fps different shot to shot at that distance right?

If you want to be accurate at 300-500, shoot 300-500 and record your dope. 300 yds it take a gigantic DA shift to make a 2" difference.

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about it, because the best programs need to be tweaked to match real data at distance. As far as ballistic calcs go, they are all pretty much the same (Pesja based equations). My most accurate is still my free PocketSharpshooter's Friend Palm program.
-the above comment is not applicable to transonic data, the latest generation stuff like Patagonia and Lex Talus' FFS are needed to handle that well.

</div></div>

I didn't realize a load would vary that much down range. A friend and I were shooting at some varmints around 300-400yds and all i had that day was my FTE, and he couldn't find my splash, though he said i was close. I realize the fault is on me but it just makes me wonder. But your right actual data and Dope is every time more reliable than ballistic calculators, just haven't gotten around to doing it. I've moved to shooting to early in the morning, with the temperature starting to hit 96+ around here coupled with humidity it's miserable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just found this by googling:

Hit the settings icon
Click on JBM Computer

Reboot the phone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the meanwhile - do like we all do, take Station (Absolute) Pressure from Kestrel and let FTE compute Mach and DA itself. grin</div></div>

Just another example of folks here saying how great shit is, then finding the flaws after paying for it. I'm fully capable of adjusting staion pressure and altitudes in the programs I had before I paid money for one that I can use DA with (only to find it doesn't work).

</div></div>

did that, but WTF is this after going back into FTE??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

why is DA, not FT? WTF is lb/ft3

Pounds per cubic foot is what it means. As far as why it displays that instead of ft maybe someone else could tell you I don't have a clue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just found this by googling:

Hit the settings icon
Click on JBM Computer

Reboot the phone

</div></div>

did that, but WTF is this after going back into FTE??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

why is DA, not FT? WTF is lb/ft3</div></div>

any updates on this?.. just me or do all of you see this with DA turned on?

With atmospheric set to DA in settings, you need to enter your DA at firing position there.