• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic Loophole Clearance

Re: Ballistic Loophole Clearance

yes, theres was a formula i had wrote down but i dont remeber it helps you figure out the clearance you need in mils so that way your not shooting your loophole and messing your shot up.

i suppopse if you took the mil value of the drop at the target, and subtracted the mil value of the drop at the loophole you'd know how many mils you need for clearance.
you could work backwards, as well, to figure a max target distance if you had a mil value for the loophole height above your line of sight to the target.

OK excuse my ignorance but what is "ballistic loophole clearance"?

Is this the perpendicular distance from the line of sight to the top of the bullet arc?

I assume this is for determining if there is enough clearance under an obstruction to allow the bullet to pass and hit the target?

I think we need to be mindful of OPSEC issues when discussing certain topics - like this one - on an open forum...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are.
</div></div>

Gotcha. Just don't want to see current military TTPs discussed in the open or forwarded to somebody with an anonymous or [email protected], e-mail address.

Stay safe.

More along the lines that a nutcase can apply the formula and shoot from well within a structure through a small hole.

Yes,

The old OPSEC talk again.

I love this.

If someone that wanted info would take 1 hour and study a subject, and read books, not forums they would learn how to do this kind of thing outside of the "military" mindset.

Sorry, the whole OPSEC thing gets me going with a subject like this that is over 100yds old.

Have a good one.

John

+1

What I notice are folks who, with just the operating manuals that come with the equipment they buy, could learn most everything important to good shooting. But, instead, perhaps because they can't read, or think there's something esoteric about it, seek "precision rifle" courses to figure things out. Last night, I saw a TV program called American Guardian. The show featured a segment that gave viewers some insight to what sort of training they could expect in a precision rifle course. Seemed to me, the show's focus was on concepts that could be gleaned from a typical scope's instruction manual. Nevertheless, I guess having a teacher helps these folks to understand concepts that would otherwise not be revealed in home schooling. As I'm discovering, there's a market for "precision rifle" whatever the training content.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As I'm discovering, there's a market for "precision rifle" whatever the training content. </div></div>
I find this intriguing. Nearly 4,000 posts before the light bulb felt the pulse of this current...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As I'm discovering, there's a market for "precision rifle" whatever the training content. </div></div>
I find this intriguing. Nearly 4,000 posts before the light bulb felt the pulse of this current...</div></div>

It's the "whatever the training content" which amuses me. Folks seem to seek "advanced" or "precision" when what it appears they need is "basic". Thing is, since they're confusing executing the firing task with actually knowing how to shoot, they think they already know all there is to know about basic when, in fact, they know nothing about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hibc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would anybody have to worry about OPSEC in reguards to this discussion? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sorry, the whole OPSEC thing gets me going with a subject like this that is over 100yds old.</div></div>

It was just a gentle reminder, because a simple discussion - even regarding a tactic that may be quite old - could possibly drift and reveal <span style="font-weight: bold">current</span> TTPs. Current TTPs that deployed military snipers are trying to prevent bad-men from discovering and using against friendly troops.

Stay safe.

I thought that was what you meant, but I am fascinated with the idea that is the market. I am discovering that it's always opening new stands, and closing down old ones.

And sometimes I am fascinated with words, and go OCD because I am not certain of the correct usage. Take opsec, and with it the Purple Dragon analytical process. People in the internet realm tend to either over emphasize it or use a 1st Amendment-like argument to suggest that any knowledge should be free and open, which could either mean that they are very trusting or that they don't know the answer and are mad that people will not share and sometimes I let my thoughts go freestyle and play with run on sentences and at other times, in terms of opsec, I think that although the answer can be easily found this does not mean that I should be the person that made it so readily and easily accessible and thus choose not to although what really was troubling me was whether I used the word "it's" properly in the second sentence so I looked it up and here is the answer:

It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs. - Oxford University Press

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs. - Oxford University Press

</div></div>

"Depends on what the meaning of 'is' is" - Bill Clinton....

Terrorists and those of that bent are often not very smart.

While most here could easily figure out that concept, there is no point in making it obvious to those who haven't the training and/or dedication to the art which makes figuring that out possible.

I'd prefer not to have some highly dysfunctional adolescent sniping through a loophole, and then telling the police and the national media, "I learned how to do that one Sniper's Hide.

There are closed web sites - you used to belong to one, John - which are appropriate for the discussion of techniques like that. This is not one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People in the internet realm tend to either over emphasize it or use a 1st Amendment-like argument to suggest that any knowledge should be free and open which could either mean that they are very trusting or that they don't know the answer and are mad that people will not share and sometimes I let my thoughts go freestyle and play with run on sentences and at other times in terms of opsec I think that although the answer can be easily found this does not mean that I should be the person that made it so readily and easily accessible and thus choose not to although what really was troubling me was whether I used the word "it's" properly in the second sentence so I looked it up and here is the answer</div></div>Flashback of college: spending the time to punctuate Faulkner.

As with Faulkner, it's aptly called The Sound And The Fury.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrorists and those of that bent are often not very smart.
</div></div>"...silhouetted by the setting sun, a city of domes and minarets. At the outermost point of Western soil, I suddenly had before me the synthesis of the Orient. For the first time in my life I neglected a human being for a thing." - Jean Genet, <span style="text-decoration: underline">The Theif's Journal</span>.
grin.gif

Original post by a new member with only 2 posts and an incomplete profile. Go get em Ripper!

Having said that, Is loophole clearance sort of like a deep strike?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.</div></div>

Macbeth, by that Shakespeare guy...

Hey how about this since how bout i take a picture of me with my Id card and 11b b4 orders and US Army Sniper School Certificate, and then somebody who actually knows what im even talkin about can PM me what i need to know

You do not need this formula, and KUTF was exactly right in what he said about opsec. If you are deploying downrange to eliminate targets as a sniper and you haven't learned it then obviously its not for you either, it's def not for a recreational shooter.. no offense... to post on a public internet forum. Get up at arms call me a A$$ whatever you gotta do, but until your boots are on the ground and you or your buddies get shot bc someone wanted to look cool and display their intelligence by posting a secret/noforn formula in a public setting then come talk to me. And whoever stated terrorists aren't that smart obviously hasn't been there either.

That's a pretty abrasive post for the first one on this site, and apparently addressed to me - but maybe not, since you may not understand how this forum software works.

So, a word for you.

If you did a search on the topic on this site, you'll find out a couple of things.

One is that I'm an instructor who works from time to time at one of the top precision rifle schools in the country, where I often share instructor duty with the guy who owns and operates this web site.

The other is that I have a standing offer to furnish documentation on how to make loophole shots to law enforcement agencies and military personnel with verifiable credentials.

Which I have done, to several major city police departments, federal law enforcement agencies, and several military organizations.

That offer stands.

Another thing you <span style="font-style: italic">might</span> have noticed is that the post before your's was made almost 6 <span style="font-weight: bold">months</span> ago. So, you're not just ignorant, but late to the party.

I started dealing with OPSEC issues 4 decades ago, when they weren't called that yet, and I likely had a security clearance before you were born.

It might be useful for you to learn to engage your brain before posting.

I was wonering if I had deja vu all over again.

As a LEO and former 0331. I don't need it for my work and have just a touch of curiosity but not enough to pry into things that are wanted to kept closer to the vest. I can respect that.

In my bookshelf I still have indirect fire tables for the M2 MG. Neat but I never used that either when mortars worked so well. I'm sure mathematics can figure out the method if one was really that interested.

Now if I could only be trained to be a flaneur! I had to wiki it.

The Ox is slow, but the earth is patient

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if I could only be trained to be a flaneur! I had to wiki it.</div></div>

There is no training program - it's a gift...
laugh.gif

What is this ballistic loop hole ya'll keep talking about, a new Crochet or Knitting stitch in the ghillie?
wink.gif
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is this ballistic loop hole ya'll keep talking about, a new Crochet or Knitting stitch in the ghillie?
wink.gif
blush.gif

</div></div>

Well, if you have an account with the online training you may or may not soon find out, as we routinely say in the lessons, "there is no Voodoo"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..."there is no Voodoo" </div></div>
To me, this whole concept is really just high school level math.

I agree with the majority of the folks here that say this topic is a sensitive one, however, readily available to one who searches enough.

Myself being a military sniper and a combat veteran who has dealt with counter sniper operations, a trained sniper shooting at me from a well positioned loophole is a nightmare scenario. The less the enemy or potential enemy knows the easier it is to kill him.

In a homeland scenario, I'm certainly sure Law Enforcement Officers could do without another DC sniper situation. Yes, there are individuals out there that can source the information on their own and yes, they will use it if they are so inclined and determined.

In my opinion this is a topic that should remain eyes only for military and law enforcement and most definitely should not be available on a web forum.

I went out and practice loop hole shooting with my 300winmag the other week, interesting shoot and a pain to set up (2"x2" loop) - ( 300yd target ).

Secret Squirrel works somewhat, but why all the hush-hush / like bullet drop charts should be outlawed also.

I would post how to do it - but afraid i would get ass-chewed by the People-Against-Knowledge

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went out and practice loop hole shooting with my 300winmag the other week, interesting shoot and a pain to set up (2"x2" loop) - ( 300yd target ).

Secret Squirrel works somewhat, but why all the hush-hush / like bullet drop charts should be outlawed also.

I would post how to do it - but afraid i would get ass-chewed by the People-Against-Knowledge </div></div>

It is not “people against knowledge”. This has been discussed at length and the decision has been made.

This is a sleeping dog that I would advise you to let it be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Woj8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the majority of the folks here that say this topic is a sensitive one, however, readily available to one who searches enough.

Myself being a military sniper and a combat veteran who has dealt with counter sniper operations, a trained sniper shooting at me from a well positioned loophole is a nightmare scenario. The less the enemy or potential enemy knows the easier it is to kill him.

In a homeland scenario, I'm certainly sure Law Enforcement Officers could do without another DC sniper situation. Yes, there are individuals out there that can source the information on their own and yes, they will use it if they are so inclined and determined.

In my opinion this is a topic that should remain eyes only for military and law enforcement and most definitely should not be available on a web forum.</div></div>

You are entitled to think way you do but let's not pretend anything here, sniper's have been shooting through holes since before WW1 and the dumb ass in D.C. Did it without any training or top secret formulas, probably didn't even know the first thing about ballistic drop, so please, come up with something a little stronger, because it is already on the web, I mean come on, run your dope with JBM or even Ballistics and viola.

And a 2X2 hole equals mechanical offset, taught in every single carbine class out there.

No tricks, no secret and definitely no voodoo

Woj8541, I know what you mean, but the 'DC sniper' wasn't a Sniper. He was a criminal with a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is this ballistic loop hole ya'll keep talking about, a new Crochet or Knitting stitch in the ghillie?
wink.gif
blush.gif

</div></div>

Well, if you have an account with the online training you may or may not soon find out, as we routinely say in the lessons, "there is no Voodoo" </div></div>

So when ya gonna have it up Frank?

In common parlance, a sniper is a person who shoots people from concealment. It's not the way those of us in the precision rifle community use the word, but it is a way it's commonly used.

Which is not to invite a debate on the ages old dichotomy of those who believe that there is a proper way to use a word and those who believe that common usage reflects correct meaning, irrespective of how the other group regards that issue.

I tend toward the first group myself. I only use the word "decimate" to indicate removing a 10th of a population, not more. But, I digress...