• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic X - Group Size

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Ballistic-X is an App developed for the precision shooter to assist users in calculating shot groups for load development. As we stepped into the development process, we called upon over 30 credible and well-known names in the industry to help us Beta test and polish what we created. The function is similar to any Shot Group Calculator such as “On Target” for Windows; this one simply does it straight from your device with a modern User Interface and Experience on both Apple and Android.

Workflow is simple: Designate reference size and Point Of Aim, choose the distance from target and caliber, and mark impacts...DONE. Our Overlay can be dragged anywhere onto the image and then exported for sharing or storing. The Options menu allows the user to select what is shown in overlay and also allows the user to choose readout in MOA/MRAD. The user can add a Comment/Label with as much info as needed. We also have an ATZ or Adjustment To Zero feature that allows user to Zero rifle or adjust to Point of Aim dynamically at any distance.

As a company, we are set up to support this App and its further development for years to come. After launching just days ago, we have already received feedback from 80+ users and have already begun improvements which we are presently testing. The positive response has been overwhelming as we hit #1 in the Apple Store for in the Sports Apps and #12 in Paid Apps. On the Android side, we managed #2 for New Apps. At this time we have over a dozen positive reviews on both sides!

You can find out more about the Ballistic-X Community on our Website, Instagram, or Facebook!

http://www.ballistic-x.com/

http://www.instagram.com/ballisticxapp

http://www.facebook.com/ballisticxapp/

Thanks Frank - it works great.

IMG_1471.JPG

I just downloaded the app. It’s easy to use and convenient to have on a mobile device. Here are some examples of the output.
    F20DB2D4-1D0A-49A9-87D7-4B082C27FE49.jpeg04FBBAC2-0FA4-4F21-A971-ABAD92D4ED18.jpeg02CD25CB-CB65-414C-A02D-FDBDE8F6E774.jpegABC2FB03-E90B-4C52-9BFD-88AE0493C05A.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: 338dude
    For those that have used this new app how does it compare with Range Buddy. I know Range Buddy is only on Android currently but curious if anyone has done a comparison?

For those that have used this new app how does it compare with Range Buddy. I know Range Buddy is only on Android currently but curious if anyone has done a comparison?

first off - the exact same app as Range Buddy is available on iOS. it's called SubMOA - don't ask me why it's a different name. but it's the same app.

i used subMOA for a while.

submoa for me did this thing where the groups were offset from the actual impact holes. that was frustrating. but still provided the information i wanted.

ballistic x app is just more aesthetically pleasing, streamlined, and intuitive. currently - they both do a relatively simple/particular tasks so it's hard to really compare them further. can you still get the same info from the free app? sure.

but ballistic x just made it better IMO, and has more "stuff" in the works. plus he's active - if you message him right now on IG he'll answer you and take your suggestions and questions. he'll be an active developer and strive to improve and update the app regularly. I don't feel Sub MOA has that same support.

first off - the exact same app as Range Buddy is available on iOS. it's called SubMOA - don't ask me why it's a different name. but it's the same app.

submoa for me did this thing where the groups were offset from the actual impact holes. that was frustrating. but still provided the information i wanted.

ballistic x app is just more aesthetically pleasing, streamlined, and intuitive. currently - they both do a relatively simple/particular tasks so it's hard to really compare them further. can you still get the same info from the free app? sure.

but ballistic x just made it better IMO, and has more "stuff" in the works. plus he's active - if you message him right now on IG he'll answer you and take your suggestions and questions. he'll be an active developer and strive to improve and update the app regularly. I don't feel Sub MOA has that same support.

Thanks that was helpful. Good to hear the developer is active. Will be downloading tonight.

Thanks for this. Exactly what I've been looking for. Can't wait to test it out.

Appreciate all the reviews and insight in comparison with some of the other options out there!

I just downloaded both apps to try out (for $8, why not?). In just an initial comparison on one target, Ballistic X seems way easier and more intuitive to use than SubMoa.

I do like that SubMOA provides a marker on the target for center of the group (sometimes that's hard to estimate with weird group shapes), and the mean radius of the group size. I emailed the Ballistic X developer to ask about adding those features (Ballistic X obviously calculates center of the group, but doesn't display it right now). If he can add those, Ballistic X will do everything I want it to. It's worth the $8 either way; I like it.

Nice app,, some limitations the developer is working to resolve.
    1. Multiple groups with different poa
    2, large picture with a group in the top right, i needed to crop the image. I

am sure these will be fixed.

Very easy to use.

Can the app give a correction to the center of the target to help with OCW developement?

Can the app give a correction to the center of the target to help with OCW developement?
    It does give a correction to the center of the target. They call it ATZ (adjustment to zero). I'm assuming that the app must find the center of the group and measure that in order to come up with the ATZ number. I'd like to see it display the center of the group, the way that the OnTarget PC software does.

Reactions: Eric32
    Great app. Been recommending it to friends since getting it earlier this month. Before this, I was using Sub MOA Pro, which was doing the job but was no where near as streamlined or user friendly. Also loving how active the designer is when it comes to customer service and updates.

New update fixed the large picture issues with poa/poi far from the center of the picture.

Good to see this available for iPhone. I have SubMOA right now, it “works” but the user interface is complete garbage. Pain in the ass to get anything done on it quickly or efficiently.

Hope this new app continues to have active support. Only thing SubMOA has that is nice is the ability to set your own scale on the image and isn’t locked down to 1” scale on target image. Once they add that feature this will be perfect.

He is actively supporting which is awesome! The other feature needed is multiple groups in the same image.

It’s good to see he’s active now, just hope that continues for years to come.

Sometimes that’s difficult for a developer to continue to support apps if their sales are low or stagnant years from now. Means he will continue to work on a project that doesn’t generate revenue, and often isn’t worth the time vs releasing something new to focus on.

I just hope it constantly has support as new phone firmware is pushed out. That’s usually the great death to apps in 5 years or less is if they aren’t updated to work with the latest from Apple.m

But for $8 its a no brainier right now for the headache it saves vs. the other stuff out there. Lord knows I’ve spent more money on worse shit for this hobby.

Reactions: seansmd
    Very cool app! Just downloaded and tested it on some old targets. I’m not a tech guy by any means and was able to stumble through it with ease.

Will be testing week after next. Will provide a solid range report/product review upon completion.
    Ended up pouring down rain for three straight days, so I wasn’t able to use the app while I was shooting. Hopefully I’ll be back to the range soon to give it another go.

Hey! Saw this post and decided to make an account and chime in. If you have any questions concerning the App, please let us know.

We are here for the long hauls and have set our company up in such a way to make sure we can provide the same level up support you have seen so far!

Thanks for stepping in and soliciting feedback, very nice app, are you planning on being able to analyze multiple groups in one image?

Thanks for stepping in and soliciting feedback, very nice app, are you planning on being able to analyze multiple groups in one image?

Yes, though we want to keep the workflow simple and intuitive. Making this work on both Apple and Android is very costly to do well!

We do have some even larger plans for the future but that is a ways down the road. As we grow a bit more and make more sales, we will be growing and developing further.

Reactions: seansmd

Sorry for a late reply but I have used both recently. My only issue with Ballistic-X is that you can only move so far from the center of your image to set the end points for your 1" distance. It seem you've got to have a ruler benchmark, whether it's an actual ruler or the grid lines on the sight in targets, within 2 inches or so of your grouping. Probably done to help remove distortion, but if you're shooting the center of the sight in targets the grid lines are too far for you to utilize as the 1" reference point.

I know I’m an idiot ???‍♂️?‍♂️. But, I just downloaded and do you establish the 1” reference from center to center or outside to outside of the reticle thing it gives you. I think the first circle on those targets is 1” so it should be pretty easy haha.

Because, that makes a big difference ???‍♂️?‍♂️

Attachments

• 703E18B1-E9AF-46BE-A70F-DB81ABEC628A.jpeg
      703E18B1-E9AF-46BE-A70F-DB81ABEC628A.jpeg
      227.4 KB · Views: 182
    • 90B77D32-B8D9-4C0F-BA49-E88F1E62FDCB.jpeg
      90B77D32-B8D9-4C0F-BA49-E88F1E62FDCB.jpeg
      227.5 KB · Views: 215
    I know I’m an idiot ???‍♂️?‍♂️. But, I just downloaded and do you establish the 1” reference from center to center or outside to outside of the reticle thing it gives you. I think the first circle on those targets is 1” so it should be pretty easy haha.

Because, that makes a big difference ???‍♂️?‍♂️

I’m the dummy here let me know when you figure it out.

And, actually I just looked it up and it looks like the first circle is 2” on that target I posted above. Putting the center of the reticle on the top of the circle and and the center of the reticle in the middle of the red dot to establish the 1” references gives me the following which seems about right:

Attachments

• 622CADA1-E1A3-4DAC-9FFE-FA22A0422125.jpeg
      622CADA1-E1A3-4DAC-9FFE-FA22A0422125.jpeg
      227 KB · Views: 136
    Reactions: GRG