• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic X - Group Size

Sorry for a late reply but I have used both recently. My only issue with Ballistic-X is that you can only move so far from the center of your image to set the end points for your 1" distance. It seem you've got to have a ruler benchmark, whether it's an actual ruler or the grid lines on the sight in targets, within 2 inches or so of your grouping. Probably done to help remove distortion, but if you're shooting the center of the sight in targets the grid lines are too far for you to utilize as the 1" reference point.

It's done that way because of distortion of the image from your phone camera. If you calibrate 1" way over at the edge of the picture, and expect the app to use that to accurately measure a group in the center of your picture, the measurements will be way off. That's not a fault of the app, that's the fault of the phone camera.

Obviously the user needs to work within some of these limitations a bit, instead of expecting an app to ignore reality. Same for the complaint about multiple groups on one picture - take a separate picture of each group with the camera centered over the group if you want it to be accurate.

Yes, the App requires that you tell it what “1 Inch” is (or whatever size you choose. You mark both side of a the measurement you choose. For instance, the image attached has 1/4” square and larger 1” squares. I’m marking 1/2” or .5” reference.

And known size is acceptable such as a 10” piece of steel, 8.5x11 printed paper, or a 3/4” sticker...the idea what to be versatile!

Reactions: RadKad
Also: the app measures overall width and overall height, but those are not options to add to the overlay. It would be good to be able to add those measurements to the overlay.

Edit: I see now I can manually add that info with the Label feature on the overlay.

Last edited:
I was wondering, and couldn’t find an answer, but does the app run natively on the iPad? Or does it just run in iPhone sized mode? I’d love to be able to mark the groups on the larger screen

I was wondering, and couldn’t find an answer, but does the app run natively on the iPad? Or does it just run in iPhone sized mode? I’d love to be able to mark the groups on the larger screen
It is not running Natively, but if we get enough demand, we will make it available natively.

I’m glad I found this thread... I just bought the app and started working with it, and was also perplexed as to how the reference markers were supposed to work. I though that I was the only dumbass.

I have two photos with small Shoot-N-C targets, and the rings are not set at 1 inch, so the measurements are thrown off when the ring lines were selected.

One enhancement to consider, maybe down the line as it matures, would be to have a standard library of the common target types with calibrations so that the user merely had to select the target from the library.

I like the app at first blush, so keep up the good work!

Reactions: RS14
Figure out what the actual size is and just use that but going to Settings and plug it in. I am working on a few changes that will make it a bit more clear and intuitive!

Good tip... that helps, aside from having to measure and calculate the odd measurement before plugging it in. In this case, the rings on these targets appear to be 7/16 apart, which translates to .4375”. That being said, it didn’t occur to me that I could alter the value (DUH!), so thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for being so responsive, and keep up the great work! Happy Easter to you and yours.

I just started using the app. When you say measure for the 1” can you simply draw a 1” line with a ruler to get this measurement. I typically draw a level cross hair on butcher paper to shoot at the 100yard range. I couldn’t find any directions in the app for proper setup. Might add some if you think it relevant. Thx for the app!!!

I just started using the app. When you say measure for the 1” can you simply draw a 1” line with a ruler to get this measurement. I typically draw a level cross hair on butcher paper to shoot at the 100yard range. I couldn’t find any directions in the app for proper setup. Might add some if you think it relevant. Thx for the app!!!
Yes, in the same picture you just need to reference a known distance it can apply to the calibre hole left by the shot and the identified poa to do the math.

Is this app still maintained? I bought it maybe a year or so ago. It had issues connecting to the server in memory serves me right.

Yes! We are working up an update right now in fact...then we will be offering an Advanced "Toolkit" on a subscription basis!
Can’t wait for the new update! Would it be possible to add group width and height to the overlay without having to type it?

Yes! We are working up an update right now in fact...then we will be offering an Advanced "Toolkit" on a subscription basis!
Multiple groups! I can imagine this being easier on the iPad with the pencil.

Looking on the google play store at the app, I can not tell if mean radius has been added to the app for info in the overlay. A previous poster brought this up, and it is a feature that I would think would be good to include. I have stuck with a less handy to use app for this feature alone.

"Mean radius is a method of measurement of the dispersion of shot-groups that takes into account every shot in the group. It provides a more useful analysis of the consistency of ammunition and firearms (accuracy/precision) than the commonly used method of extreme spread. "

Looking on the google play store at the app, I can not tell if mean radius has been added to the app for info in the overlay. A previous poster brought this up, and it is a feature that I would think would be good to include. I have stuck with a less handy to use app for this feature alone.

"Mean radius is a method of measurement of the dispersion of shot-groups that takes into account every shot in the group. It provides a more useful analysis of the consistency of ammunition and firearms (accuracy/precision) than the commonly used method of extreme spread. "

It will soon be included!

Love it!

Bought the app 2 weeks ago, and just love the simplicity of it! It was a good decision to use a “wizard” based guided workflow, with the user doing one little step at a time. Easy to learn, easy to use.

Minor point, so just a suggestion: The icon for POA is a cross (good choice), but when you set POA it displays the green round icon used for bullet holes. Would be more clear what you are busy with if icons remained consistent. Same for defining the 1” reference, consider using a different icon than green bullet hole.

Second (very) minor point: Sometimes i take a picture of a larger piece of the target, and then crop it in the iPhone Photo app before using it in your app, so the picture is then quite small. I cannot seem to move the picture around to place POA on the correct spot, unless i first zoom, even when zooming is not actually required. Once you know, it works fine, but just thought i should mention it. Part of the learning curve that could perhaps be engineered out. One less hurdle.

You might want to make a short “training” video, and post on Youtube. Free advertising. And a video tutorial for new users.

Good work sir, and please do not overcomplicate it in future! ?

Thanks for the feedback.

We chose different icons for each step so that you don’t get confused as to which step you are on...this happens to me quite a bit as well as other!

I have something different planned for the POA marker; something that will allow user to line it up with a grid better and in case the area is shot out completely.

And yes, we will work on a video!

Reactions: seansmd
Thanks for the feedback.

We chose different icons for each step so that you don’t get confused as to which step you are on...this happens to me quite a bit as well as other!

I have something different planned for the POA marker; something that will allow user to line it up with a grid better and in case the area is shot out completely.

And yes, we will work on a video!

Used the app last time about a week ago. I just realized you guys already made the changes suggested by several folks, so a much different and better app than before. Well done!

Just watch out for excessive complexity.... ?

Used to use range buddy now I use this and love it. So much easier to use

Not sure if i am doing it wrong: If i use the top two solid green circles to crop the picture, it works fine, but the two at the bottom won’t move.

Also, if you make the mistake of dragging the top two all the way out to the two top most corners of your phone screen, and let go, you cannot drag them back in again, as IOS uses that area to bring back your last set of text messages...

I like the improvements, keep it up!

I realize caliber designations are confusing, but 260 should probably be 0.264.

18295B88-D8D7-45D0-92BA-02A44593F94D.png

The “actual” size is in fact .264...but most of what you see in caliber selection is common names. And yes, we were very strategic in selecting what to display here! Both inch and mm don’t always coincide with “common name”.

The “actual” size is in fact .264...but most of what you see in caliber selection is common names. And yes, we were very strategic in selecting what to display here! Both inch and mm don’t always coincide with “common name”.

Fair enough!

Can anyone tell me where this program "exports" too? I can not find them on my device once i go through the whole thing

In my app data is shows it has used a bunch of internal storage on my phone but there is nothing saved in my picture folders or anywhere else I can find. Weird

It is in inches (not MOA) as this seems to be how most Solvers handle the offset values. Basically, you can zero as close as you can...and if you are in between clicks, you can input the difference into silver for a True Zero. The other use would be for when changing ammo or with and without a suppressor. You can copy your profile and out the difference in so you don’t have to rewrite each time!

Cool thanks. I’d suggest having the “ like the rest of the measurements in inches. I use mils offset in StrelokPro normally. I have suppressed / I suppressed ammo profiles if there’s a shift from zero That’s what I use the offset for.

EC296BC9-BE4F-45E8-97B8-B06511C720B4.png

Reactions: KnowNothing256
new features are nice, any plans to add multiple shot groups to a single image?

I know I can analyze a group, export it, then choose that image and analyze another group, and repeat. This is a bit of waste of time.

When I export it says /internal storage/Ballistic-X and it shows up in a folder in the bottom of my gallery.
Screenshot_20191214-174215_Gallery.jpg

I have the same issue with my Galaxy S9. App works great, but I can't find the exported files. Look forward to the update!

Did you see my post, use the samsung file explorer and look in the path above, it also shows up in the gallery.

Last edited:
What’s the expected price of the subscription and feature set, given that the app alone is $8?

seansmd- I did check. Ballistic-X doesn't show up at all under internal storage on my phone. Nothing in my gallery either.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking at and there's no Ballistic-X on the list.

Reactions: seansmd
The internal storage issue for the Samsung Galaxy S9 series has not been fixed. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and still can't get it to create a folder. I suspect it is having an issue because my phone (S9+) is set to save all media to the SD card.

Bob

Bob, I dont have an SD card and still have the issue. They said they're working on it, so I'm sure it will be addressed soon.

Reactions: Ranger Bob
Small bit of feedback: Used the app at the range last weekend, and in bright sunlight, on the small form factor Apple iPhone. The small green cursor (to set up the 1” reference) is then invisible. It will help if the block around the pointer is a thicker line type. Got it to work by finding a shady spot, so not the end of the world.

Also found that when zooming in on small groups, the cursor will snap to the nearest supported value and not stay exactly where you left it, so on some pictures it looks like i marked incorrectly (with a little offset). Not a huge deal but noticeable. Creates a small estimation error.

Last edited:
Reactions: GRG