• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ballistic X - Group Size

Bob, I dont have an SD card and still have the issue. They said they're working on it, so I'm sure it will be addressed soon.
I have the S9, not the plus and all pics set to store to the sd card. It shows up for me.

seansmd - checked the permissions like you said, storage permission was on, but camera was not. Turned it on and now it's working. Thanks.

Reactions: seansmd
On the iOS version it seems like the cursor jumps when I lift my finger. I have to move the cursor to almost where I want it so it jumps a little further in the direction I was moving it to land where I want it. Not really a big deal but kinda clunky/annoying feeling.

Mine does this too, iphone 6s. Not sure if it's me, the phone, or the app. Zooming in closer seems to help get the cursor placed close enough, but it always moves slightly when I let go.

Reactions: fxdrider
I have noticed the same thing - iPhone XR.
Mine does this too, iphone 6s. Not sure if it's me, the phone, or the app. Zooming in closer seems to help get the cursor placed close enough, but it always moves slightly when I let go.
Use 2 fingers one to hold the spot where you want it and the other to hit the mark button. I have the same issue and solved it this way.

Use 2 fingers one to hold the spot where you want it and the other to hit the mark button. I have the same issue and solved it this way.

Tested your workaround. Works well, thanks for posting it.

Note to the programmer: Perhaps somewhere in the code a truncate or round statement is used that assumes less screen resolution than is actually available...

Last edited:
No. I’m starting to think it’s unlikely, given that it’s been this long.

App development, when done well is not cheap. There is a lot to overcome in making a feature like this in the UI as well. So far the App is very simple and intuitive and I am doing everything in my power to keep it this way! We do appreciate the patience and we expect it will be worth it.

Went to the range today. Was low on ammo so I asked what they had for 6.5cm. Turns out all they carried was Federal Premium Gold Medal Berger 130gr Hybrids. Sometimes dumb luck just happens to fall in your lap. I think the new rifle likes them. Best group I’ve ever shot. Of course every place I looked for them...SOLD OUT :-(
F5DF1EA5-391F-43FE-85BB-B0BE2867C3A3.png

Well done, that is a superb group! It is sooo satisfying when you set a new personal best.

I have always had good groups with Berger factory ammo, and you get superb Lapua SRP brass worth $1.00 each as a happy byproduct. If you are not releading, you can resell them at about $0.60 each in the classified section... that brings the price in line with cheaper Hornady ammo, which is not quite at this level.

BTW: I got 5 shot groups between 0.25” and 0.45”, with about a 0.4” average, shooting their 140 grain Berger Hybrid ammo from an MPA comp rifle in 6.5 CM. Got an SD of 8-12 fps from 4 boxes of ammo, and two different batches. Average velocity was well over 2800 fps, which is a little faster than normal for a 140 gn bullet shot from a 26” barrel. Well worth it!

Just watch out for pierced primers. Every box i shot had 2-3. The bolt was bushed by Greg Tannel and has the smaller firing pin setup from the factory, so the problem probably cannot be blamed on firing pin gap.

But who knows, maybe my two batches were just bad luck. Have not heard others complain about this.

Reactions: RAWHDE
Removed, not the topic of the thead. Sorry!

Last edited:
Berger was acquired by Lapua some two plus years ago. They will be in business for a long time, probably until we get laser weapons.... 😊 How do you want your whitetail, medium rare or well done...
I think he was talking about Ballistic-X, which is the topic of this thread.

Reactions: NamibHunter
Got some shooting done to sight in a new to me 6.5CM rifle. Nice to see this One Horse Pony Soldier can still DOPE a new rifle. Purchased app. Showed a .55 group on my final string using 147 ELD-M. Need to work in some other ammo selections. I hope the developer can still work in some features as other have posted above. Solid performing app for sure.

A comprehensive update is in the works now. There are many additional features coming with an Advanced Toolkit along with some refinements for the base App. We are very responsive via email so please reach out for further inquiry. Also, there is a sneak peak here:

Let us all know when the new app can be downloaded. Looking forward to the upgrade.

Just watch out for pierced primers. Every box i shot had 2-3. The bolt was bushed by Greg Tannel and has the smaller firing pin setup from the factory, so the problem probably cannot be blamed on firing pin gap.

But who knows, maybe my two batches were just bad luck. Have not heard others complain about this.

My GAP experiences primer issues with the SRP brass in their 135 classic hunter ammo. Switched to their LRP ammo with 130 hybrid and 156 EOL and no issues.
Gonna try the 135 in a Tikka T3X to see if I get the same thing.

My GAP experiences primer issues with the SRP brass in their 135 classic hunter ammo. Switched to their LRP ammo with 130 hybrid and 156 EOL and no issues.
Gonna try the 135 in a Tikka T3X to see if I get the same thing.

Yep i had the same speed experience with Lapua SRP factory ammo. But i have not seen any of these problems with my reloads using CCI 450’s or Federal SRP primers.

Soft primer cups perhaps?

Last edited:
Would also be of interest to see how accurately Berger weighs the powder charges.

A comprehensive update is in the works now. There are many additional features coming with an Advanced Toolkit along with some refinements for the base App. We are very responsive via email so please reach out for further inquiry. Also, there is a sneak peak here:

Has the new app been released? Interested to see the new features.

Two updates of the app came through on my iPhone XR this week. Both of them feature a menu for "Advanced Options". Selecting that option button brings you to a menu for the Advanced Options, with a banner that says "Coming Soon". Also an asterisked note that says, "Only subscribed users can access advanced options". The individual options selectors will not stay active if selected and slid right.

So I logged in, but the options still seem to be inactive. Should they in fact be active now? Or are they still coming soon?

Thanks.

Two updates of the app came through on my iPhone XR this week. Both of them feature a menu for "Advanced Options". Selecting that option button brings you to a menu for the Advanced Options, with a banner that says "Coming Soon". Also an asterisked note that says, "Only subscribed users can access advanced options". The individual options selectors will not stay active if selected and slid right.

So I logged in, but the options still seem to be inactive. Should they in fact be active now? Or are they still coming soon?

Thanks.
I see the same.

I’m looking forward to some of these advanced options like mean radius, etc, IF the subscription is a reasonable price. Personally a one-time purchase would be preferable to a recurring subscription; subscriptions make sense for apps like load data manuals where info is being updated, but this app seems more appropriate for a one time purchase. I’d be fine paying $13.99 or whatever for that.

I’d also like to point out to the developers that it would be nice to be able to use the basic (unpaid) portion of the app without a sign-in. The sign-in seems completely unnecessary for an app like this.

Just went to use the Ballistic-X app today and it asked me to sign in. Why? I've been using it for over a year.....

I don't have that on my screen. It looks like there are words below but I cannot adjust it to see them. Basically, the last thing I see is sign in with google and what looks like the top of words below.

I’m now getting a registration prompt too. Even after buying the app previously.

9A553DAD-65F6-44C7-A124-86A27775F154.png

Without the ability to continue using the app without a signin - it just got deleted.

I don't have that on my screen. It looks like there are words below but I cannot adjust it to see them. Basically, the last thing I see is sign in with google and what looks like the top of words below.
I figured this out. I have my view zoomed due to aging eyes. Turned that off and was able to register with a dummy acount.

I finally gave up and registered. But, I registered using the Apple ID option, which doesn't send my real email nor password to the app by using the hide my email option. It worked.

Explanation from Apple is here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210318

Last edited:
Reactions: phlegethon
This is now happening on Android as well, there is a "Not Now" link under the sign in and register links but it does nothing.

I'd like to have the functions back that I already paid for, nor do I wish to be forced to login.

I registered using my Apple ID. Mine is working fine. The advanced overlay options has a note indicating that they are coming soon. The basic program works just like it did before.

So I sent an email saying we weren't happy.

The reply.

Hey! So one of my core desires was for the App to NOT require an registration. I’m with you. Apparently it’s not so clear in the App that this is an option so I’m looking to correct that. I completely understand!

Jonathan Roberts
Nomad Innovations, LLC

I'm less annoyed now, hopefully we get a do not ask again option.

Reactions: 6.5SH
I don't really care about signing in or not. I want the advanced options to work. As they are now - sliders that don't stay where you slide them - they're just a tease.

Do we need to pay for this now? I did the register step, but I can't get it to perform as it did before. Di I need to delete it and re-install?

Anyone having issues with exporting the image in iOS? The app says the export was successful, but the image does not show up in my photo library like it did in the previous version.

Is the bug involving forced cropping on export ever going to be fixed?

How many more years before multiple groups are supported?

Why is the security certificate still expired on the developer’s webpage?

Is the bug involving forced cropping on export ever going to be fixed?

How many more years before multiple groups are supported?

Why is the security certificate still expired on the developer’s webpage?
Regarding the SSL cert, they are using free "Let's Encrypt" ones and are not staying on top of the 3 month validity period.

You also have to wonder if that is causing issues with the app.

I got the app because of the implicit endorsement from PrecisionRifleBlog.com — that guy's obsession with data and objectivity is phenomenal! 👍🏼

And I'm willing to spend 10 or 20 dollars on this app. Sure. Maybe even a bit more. 😊
But a subscription?!? ➔ No way! 😟
Range Buddy / Sub Moa does this for free, with cloud support and better customization!

🔶 Well, if we're talking 50 cents or less per month — I might consider a subscription.

🔶 And I might be willing to spend a dollar or two a month — if Ballistic-X was a WOW—app like Strelok Pro for shooting, or like Poweramp for a music player:
▪Those apps have literally hundreds of functions and formulas.
▪And they allow the user to customize most of these functions granularly. So far, Ballistic-X is both very narrow in functionality and it customizing user experience.
(Despite of that, they still don't require a subscription.)

🔶 What functions would get me to pay for a subscription? 🔶

🔷 (1) I would expect a similar function like Litz's WEZ and hit probability calculator to be included in the app.
➔ The app Exterior Ballistics already does that with some limitations, and it does not require a subscription.
Link:

🔷 (2) I would expect that shot group photos can be scored not just by manually tapping the screen and placing our hits. Instead, I would like to choose common competition paper targets and that the app scores them automatically:
Like this: Set the paper target — Take a photo — click "Score" — and the app places the hits automatically on the target — and measures various types of precision measurements — and counts the scores, including X's and all. And keeps stats on your scores. And prepares a PDF with a summary report.
That's at least what the TargetShootingApp does, and it does not require a subscription. On the contrary, it keeps adding more paper targets from all over the world! (They are in the hundreds now.)
Link:
https://targetshootingapp.com/

🔷 (3) I would expect that shot group analysis is not just limited to two measures, e.g.: extreme group size and mean radius (MR).
The Ballistipedia lists several other good models.
And it seems reasonable to expect that the app user could configure the statistic hit probability of measures like CEP or MR (e.g., the app does not limit CEP to 50% of the shots within the circle, and MR could be configured to show mean diameter rather than radius, with a user defined percentage).
This would allow us to adapt the shot analysis to our particular size targets/ kill zones to get meaningful results without additional calculations.
Link:

🔷 (4) I would expect that the app allows the user a highly customizable system of files, folders, and sorting mechanisms, that can be named and organized without character restrictions of folder/file names and other unnecessary limitation.
For load developing and other tests, we need to keep things organized in our own way — not in one standard way....

In summary
There are so many different types of shooters and shooting scenarios — the "one size fits all" approach will not get my money.
A highly customized approach and a number of top notch functions will get my money. And gladly!! 😊

Matthias

Last edited:
Reactions: phlegethon
Matthias, I very much appreciate this comprehensive report and will certainly reference this moving forward. You’ve addressed many things that I have considered. I’ve been rather overwhelmed with my “day job” and have admittedly been neglecting the development of the App. Shoot me and email please:

[email protected]

I will!
And thanks for your 4000fps-quick reply! 😄
That's certainly a quality of a good app developer! 👍🏼

I'm sorry that your "day job" has crowded out your gun hobby.
And during this pandemic delays are even more understandable!
➔ No hard feelings. I hope for all of us that things will get better. 😊

🔶 Keep up the good work. The graphic design of your app knocks the socks off most shooting apps I've seen.... I like it!

Talk to you soon (email). 👍🏼

Matthias

And I'm willing to spend 10 or 20 dollars on this app

Matthias
May I ask why people is not willing to pay for an app that cost thousands of dollars to develop less than a cheeseburger? Always amazed by how cheap most people value the super hard work of programmers. Sorry, but they don't grow under apple trees. Also amazed why they don't charge way more.

@ballisticxapp is there (or will there be) a PC version?

Love the app, it is an essential tool in my load development. As a beginner, it's nice to have something so simple; apps like Strelock have a much steeper learning curve!

I'm holding out with great hopes for the future.

Last year brought a bunch of baloney -- in the form of viruses (without anti-virus programs as they were biological), waves (without surfing, as they consisted of germs, not water), suffering (not the one that produces a six-pack, but unemployment and death), and other forms of cheap lunch meat I don't like.... :poop:

But last year also brought good things to my door:
• Got a new range finder.
• Got new targets.
• Got a new scope.
• Got a quarry I've never had the chance to kill before.

Now, we're starting a new year.
And I'm hoping that the Ballistic-X app will have a good start! I hope the developer is doing OK and didn't have to go through too much of the c#r@p mentioned above. 😊 This app could become an amazing tool for load development, and for monitoring and analyzing shooting scores.

Happy 2022.

Matthias