• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel and trigger choice for straight-pull 10/22 build.

fhsjrm

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2017
13266381-46BD-41E3-84A8-FC908948BBB4.jpeg

I’m starting a 10/22 build based on a Volquartsen/Summit straight-pull receiver. I’m trying to build something that at least superficially resembles a toned down biathlon rifle. I’m new to 10/22 builds and the choices of barrels, stocks, and triggers are truly bewildering. Leaving stocks aside for now what barrel and trigger would be good choices? I’m currently looking at an ER Shaw threaded bull barrel, a Tactical Solutions thumbhole stock, and a Volquartsen trigger guard. I’m open to other suggestions, but I’d like to stay at or under about $1100. I have $550 in the receiver and bolt. The Volquartsen trigger is $225, the ER Shaw barrel is $100, and the TacSol stock is $200, putting me at $1075. I’ll add links below to the items I’ve referenced. I already have a Savage Mark II that will easily shoot sub 1/2” groups at 50 yards and I’d like this rifle to be capable of the same..I just like the idea of the straight-pull action.

ER Shaw barrel
Tactical Solitions stock
Volquartsen trigger
Volquartsen Summit receiver

Hi fhsjrm

I am fairly new to this site but have built a handful of 10/22's. As far as the trigger I would not look anywhere but KIDD, both the single stage and two-stage are the gold standard in 10/22 triggers currently. I have both and depending on purpose for the rifle I am sure either would serve your needs. On the barrel I have had good luck with Green Mountain more on the budget side, .920 straight barrel without threading can be had around $100, threading adds a bit to the price, but still a damn good shooter for the price. Feddersen .920 right around $180 off the top of my head, add a bit for threading. This barrel is slightly more accurate for paper punching and groups. Both provide equal accuracy in my case shooting steel out to 200yd, I have not gone any farther than that with my 10/22 builds yet. KIDD also makes very nice barrels in the $230 range IIRC with lots of positive reports on accuracy.

As far as the stock is concerned, that is a very personal thing that I can't help with.

Hope this helps in your search for the perfect 10/22.

Hi fhsjrm

I am fairly new to this site but have built a handful of 10/22's. As far as the trigger I would not look anywhere but KIDD, both the single stage and two-stage are the gold standard in 10/22 triggers currently. I have both and depending on purpose for the rifle I am sure either would serve your needs. On the barrel I have had good luck with Green Mountain more on the budget side, .920 straight barrel without threading can be had around $100, threading adds a bit to the price, but still a damn good shooter for the price. Feddersen .920 right around $180 off the top of my head, add a bit for threading. This barrel is slightly more accurate for paper punching and groups. Both provide equal accuracy in my case shooting steel out to 200yd, I have not gone any farther than that with my 10/22 builds yet. KIDD also makes very nice barrels in the $230 range IIRC with lots of positive reports on accuracy.

As far as the stock is concerned, that is a very personal thing that I can't help with.

Hope this helps in your search for the perfect 10/22.

Your advice is much appreciated! I have considered GM barrels, but I haven’t looked at Kidd triggers yet. I’ll give them a look!

I have a Volquartsen Carbon Fiber Ultralite barrel which is very accurate, it is more accurate than my Kidd Ultralite barrel. As for the trigger, I went with a Brimstone Tier 1 trigger job which I regret. I wish I would have bought a Kidd single stage.

39544081104_6b3e313187_c.jpg

I like my er shaw barrel holds tight groups with wolf or green tag cci.
1 complaint, heavy , may look to go carbon on next build?

Cant go wrong with feddersen bull barrel,very accurate shoots standard velocity cci half moa at 50 yds.. i .have that with a kidd single stage trigger and its a great combo.

Reactions: woogie_man
Pretty sure I’m going with a Kidd trigger and Feddersen barrel now. The Kidd trigger is actually cheaper than the Volquartsen and Feddersen barrels aren’t that bad either. Now I’ve just got to wait 6-8 weeks for the receiver to get here!

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I would love to have one of those straight/toggle style receivers. Look forward to seeing some range reports.

How would one go about setting up a Summit or 10/22 for high quality irons? It would be interesting to see how well one could shoot compared to the high dollar guns, and would be kind of fun as a starter biathlon rifle. The Anschutz 6865 front sight is 19mm internal diameter (.748"), so I imagine it would really only require having a barrel turned to the correct diameter to take care of that. From what I can tell, their rear sights such as the 6827 use a weaver rail for attachment, so that should be doable I would think, just a matter of getting it set far enough back. Then you would only need to figure out a stock that can hold the semi-awkward shape of the 10/22 mags.

Fools errand? Fun experiment? What do you guys think?

Cooool looking stock (color not so much) what kind is it ? .....and congrats on a good looking rig, so let us know how she shoots.

For a barrel if you want the best check out Mullerworks may be a considerable wait though as they are considered by some to be among the finest rimfire barrels in the world. I went a completly different rout on my 10/22, I had allways wanted one and when they came out with the 50th anniversary model I bought and built off of that with a Tac Sol barrel, Hogue overloaded stock and the Ruger aftermarket trigger. Its a very light and handy rifle with a 3-9 power scope on it.
That is really slick looking rifle by the way, just a heads up but if you havent allready tried it the SK Standard Plus ammo is more accurate than R100 and rivals R50 in my Tac Sol barrel and is a much better price.

Last edited:
Nice job man. I like the rifle. Can’t wait to here how it shoots. Also love seeing more pics of the AT-one.

Rifle turned out great. I am a fan of the coyote laminate, have one myself in the boyd's pro varmint. Looking forward to range reports and maybe a review thread on the AT-One stock.