• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Break-in for MK II TR

DUCKSHOT

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
TEXAS
Cant decide rather to break-in the barrel or just shoot a bunch and then clean. Does it really make a difference? If I choose to conduct a barrel break-in, whats the best method for a .22lr? Do I use a patch and brush after each step or just a patch?

2010-03-24144010-1.jpg

Re: Barrel Break-in for MK II TR

You might check the owners manual.

I think most shooters don't 'break in' a .22 rimfire.

I've heard of people never cleaning the bore of their .22 rimfire.

Throw a wet patch down the barrel and a few dry ones to clean out any metal shavings and dirt from factory. After that just shoot the damn thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw a wet patch down the barrel and a few dry ones to clean out any metal shavings and dirt from factory. After that just shoot the damn thing. </div></div>

This. I never touch my rimfires with a brush.

Only time my TR sees a brush is when accuracy falls off I have about 1500 down the tube and it is still shooting lights out I do run a wet patch down it about every 500 or so just to get out the surface crud

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw a wet patch down the barrel and a few dry ones to clean out any metal shavings and dirt from factory. After that just shoot the damn thing. </div></div>

Another vote for the above.

there were a few "breaking in .22lr barrel" topics floating around the last couple of months.

allthough many say it's not neccessary, what can it hurt to do it the way you do a centerfire?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throw a wet patch down the barrel and a few dry ones to clean out any metal shavings and dirt from factory. After that just shoot the damn thing. </div></div>

Another vote for the above.

</div></div>

One more.

With a .22 I just clean it really well before I shoot it to clean out all the factory gunk / metal shavings etc. Then just shoot until the accuracy drops off and clean again. CF rifles different story.

More harm is done by incorrect cleaning then any other single thing you can do to a barrel.It's not even necessary on a center fire....clean out the machining junk and shoot the damn thing!

More barrels are ruined by "break in" and over cleaning than shooting. A 22 rimfire doesn't produce the pressure or wear that ANY centerfire does.

Running some oiled patches through the bore to get any lingering dirt/dust/residue from the mfg and shipping process is all I've ever done.

My 10/22 gets cleaned when the thing starts to have feeding issues. The last time I cleaned my Marlin 25N was when I did Rifle Shooting Merit Badge when I was 10 years old and it was a requirement to demonstrate proper cleaning for the rifle you shot the groups with. 16 years and over 20k rounds later it still shoots very well, it has never seen a brush.

New barrels can be seriously dirty and really need to be cleaned with a brush before the first shot. For match rifles breaking in is necessary to fill all pores in the barrel with a uniform lead layer, it doesn´t harm to treat a non match rifle the same way. After that never touch it again with a brush, only with a patch until there is so much lead in the barrel that accuracy falls down.

If that happens clean with a brush or rimfire blend and do the break in process again. Some people use a reamer to clean up the lead at the begin of the barrel but I am a little afraid to touch a barrel with such a tool. For me just the brush is enough after 3000-4000 shots.

I'm still on the fence about break-in. I still have not shot my rifle because my scope and base arrive today and rings show up tomorrow and I don't get home till Sunday.
Anyway, I did run a brush through a couple times and had a crapload of debris come out the muzzle and followed that up with some dry patches and then wet.
Don't understand how cleaning a barrel can mess it up. If there is something I can read about it then it might make sence.
As far as lead filling into small holes and making escaping gasses equal from a barrel breakin kinda makes sence. But what's the difference between clean, shoot, clean, shoot vs shoot 200 rounds and then clean. Holes will be filled.
"If" it is important for the big calibers then it should hold true to smaller as well.
Would be awesome if someone could point me toward a proper breakin then that would be great.
If there is documentation on why to breakin vs why not to breakin Id like to read it.
Thanks for the replys so far

We just start shooting them with copper washed bullets and clean when they quit functioning . Usually somewhere North of 1000-1500 rounds the barrels settle down and accuracy improves . We have done this with probably 10 .22 LR barrels in the last year and the results are the same whether its a Factory barrel or an Aftermarket . We modified 10 factory barrels last summer and while it improved accuracy in all of them the older barrels that had lots of rounds through them all seemed to shoot better . We hand lapped a few of them with Butch's Bore paste prior to shooting and it seemed to cut down the number of rounds needed to get a barrel to settle in but not by much .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We just start shooting them with copper washed bullets and clean when they quit functioning . Usually somewhere North of 1000-1500 rounds the barrels settle down and accuracy improves . We have done this with probably 10 .22 LR barrels in the last year and the results are the same whether its a Factory barrel or an Aftermarket . We modified 10 factory barrels last summer and while it improved accuracy in all of them the older barrels that had lots of rounds through them all seemed to shoot better . We hand lapped a few of them with Butch's Bore paste prior to shooting and it seemed to cut down the number of rounds needed to get a barrel to settle in but not by much . </div></div>

Sorry never heard of copper washed bullets. Could I just shoot any old .22lr ammo through it and have the same effect? What does the copper washed bullets do anyway?

Most .22 ammo that has a copper looking bullet is simply copper washed to help reduce leading . Federal 550 pack bulk ammo from Wally World is what we generally use simply because we have lots of it .

1500 rounds?! Wow...guess I shouldn't be too discouraged by the fact I can't get anything to shoot consistently under .5 @ 50 (varies from .4-.6 from group to group...) after only 300 shots from my new Savage!