• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Barrel change for a bedded stock?

JKaiser

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
N TX
I have a stock that has been bedded by GAP for a #7 Bartlein. Will a #10 Krieger work perfectly in the same stock? Will it have to be bedded again? The dimensions appear to be identical. I tried searching for this info but I'm not the most computer savvy person.

JJ

Re: Barrel change for a bedded stock?

I would be asking this question of GAP. They are probably the only folks who truly understand the bedded stock's precise dimensions.

Will it work, probably. But I would not install it for this reason:

"Most of the time" a GAP build has 1.5" bedding in front of the action. Meaning a barrel has a pad supporting it for that small amount. (This is not always the case, some may have ordered it without on purpose)

Even though the contours are the same it may have been turned down at that part of the barrel a couple thousandth's just to clean it up. It could be over or under just enough to NOT notice when putting it back into the stock.

An option I have done:

Just mill out the barrel pad and have the new barrel installed. A dremel will work if your not to picky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just mill out the barrel pad and have the new barrel installed. A dremel will work if your not to picky. </div></div>

Easy enough I guess.

Thanks for the input.