• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel Comparisons

Night Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2011
Cullman, AL
On my current project we are able to test some barrels and here is what the guy putting on the barrel is telling me.

With the same "Qualified shooter" (Supposedly a retired sniper from Ft. Benning), multiple book loads under same conditions, a savage barrel is out performing a Krieger, Shilen and another (forgot the name) barrels...

Does this sound accurate?

May be possible... but, if you were in my shoes whould you choose a better known named barrel over the savage for any reason?

Re: Barrel Comparisons

Depends on your budget. If you want a good barrel with a factory length chamber, buy the savage. You may have to play with loads a little longer to find one it likes, you may not be able to get close the the lands, but I have seen factory savage barrels shoot 3/4 moa and sometimes 1/2. If you want a great barrel with a chamber and throat cut to your specs, buy a custom. In comparison you can start with any load with the bullet .010" off the lands and shoot 3/4 to 1/2 moa, then you can tweak the loads for a more consistent maybe better one. I am assuming you are bedding, crowning, truing actions either way, if not, you are wasting your time with a custom barrel, stay with the savage one.

All you need is Johnny Redneck's 270 he bought at Walmart, if he's at the range, he's sure to tell you his stick will shoot a dime size group @ 300yds. I hear it all the time! Save your money, don't buy that custom barrel.....use that money on something worth while; like some Natural Lite or some more 270 shells from Walmart!
smile.gif

Don't think so. Factory straightened barrel outperforming Kreiger, et al., NO, I don't think so. Maybe one outlier set...not in the long run. JMHO

Not to say it could not happen, but if it were the norm, lead time on a custom barrel would be 'order today, ship today'. I also think there would be a pretty big price increase in Savage rifles.

I'm not buying it. The custom barrel makers throw away more barrels than Savage makes in a year. If that were the case, all of the custom builders would be using Savage barrels. I'm not saying certain Savage rifles couldnt keep up with a custom barreled rifle. They just dont do it consistently on the all rifles they produce.

Sounds like a pant load to me. How many of the top tactical and BR shooters have a Savage barrel on thier rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think so. Factory straightened barrel outperforming Kreiger, et al., NO, I don't think so. Maybe one outlier set...not in the long run. JMHO </div></div>

+1

Retired anything really doesn't really mean much, it just how people attempt to make the quote more believable, that said if <span style="font-style: italic">"they"</span> can't tell the difference, it might be time to get a new profession.

I would recommend they go out and actually shoot against the customs before making a blanket statement. Tell him to place in competition next to the customs with a competent driver and then we can re-evaluate their claim.

I'd loke to see a borescope view of that savage barrel and compare to a match like rock creek.

Holy crap! I'm the #1 top poster in the last 30 days on the forum! Sweet! Lol

I have shoot several factory Savage barrels and own more than 1 Krieger. This is what I can tell you from my experience, so take it for what it is worth. If you are going to buy a factory gun for accuracy and leave it stock, buy the Savage. Out of the box, they have tended to produce tighter groups than Remingtons and the one Browning that I have to compare them against. That said, they don't consistently shoot with the Kreiger barrels that I own. If you are looking for accuracy, custom is the only way to go. The manufacturing process for a custom barrel gives far more attention to detail than mass produced factory barrels.

In general there is no comparision between a Savage barrel or almost any other factory barrel to a custom barrel such as a Krieger or Shilen etc. There are however other factors such as stock fit, bedding, truing action, scope, shooter, etc.

Everyone wants to say they have the best and they didn't pay as much as someone else or got a great deal. However, in general you get what you paid for.

Team Savage competes with stock Model 12 rifles and they win a lot of matches. They are obviously doing something right over at Savage. I know someone will say that the compitition rifles are custom builds but they are not. As for saying a stock Savage barrel is more accurate than a Kreiger or Sheilin its hard to swallow. I personally have a Savage 10BA with a Leopold Mark 4 LR/T that shoots well within 1/2 MOA with hand rolled 175 grain SMK's that is bone stock. It shoots 1/2 MOA with issue Hornady A-Max Tap Percision. As for your build Night Hunter, does it really matter what barrel is in your rifle if your accuracy goals are met.

No, it does not. It just gave me a funny feeling. This guy came highly recommended, but a couple things he has said didn't add up, or either I know far less than what I thought I did...