• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel for a 16" Recce build?

This thread has helped me a lot. Many great options out there.

.223 SHTF Rifle build I’m working on, LPVO

what barrel? (prices include bolt) my thoughts so far:

•Noveske 13.7 Infidel ($500)
•Craddock Signature 14.7 Bartlein ($650)
•V Seven 14.5 Match ($600)
On the higher end, I would add Centurion Arms - https://centurionarms.com/barrels/ Monty's stuff is top notch

And on the lower, I would add Sionics - https://sionicsweaponsystems.com/parts/barrels/ I think Sionics is one of the most underrated builders in the industry. I would completely trust my life on anything they make. Their barrels are generally around 1.5 moa and have hand-polished feed ramps. If you looking for components made to just run, Sionics should be on your shortlist.

Reactions: _Will_ and bwo44
My White Oak 16" just arrived, took about 8 weeks. It's going on my AP M4E1 today. I had them include the head spaced JP bolt.
I've got a wide variety of 68 & 77 grain ammo loaded and ready for ladder tests. Hoping to replicate Mk 262 with the 77's.
I'm expecting .5 MOA out of it.

OP for a 16” build look into CLE Douglas barrel for the cost or maybe a Triarc, they have been gaining great reviews.

Anyhow this is my 16” build I made with a CLE 16” Tactical profile Douglas 1/7 barrel. Love it
I would pull my optic and replace with a lpvo for better close quarter work.
B3DD8F7B-C864-4A11-A228-6E46C37260E3.jpeg
950743E9-B6C5-43BD-887D-8019727126DE.jpeg
7D2B4103-90B6-4DC6-910F-FDCED088DEE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Think I've decided to go the Criterion route. I've found a hybrid version that's 1.5 lbs with flutes. It's like a Criterion core series and hybrid.

It's like the white oak SDM barrel.

Reactions: B Man
This thread helped me a lot!

lead me to Craddock Precision😁 there’s a lot of great manufactures mentioned here, but after speaking with Paul at Craddock, I pulled the trigger on this guy:

C4B0DF4D-AAF9-4E42-9D15-66381C610530.jpeg

Craddock is gonna cut the barrel down to 13.9”. Cobalt Kinetics is building it out and it will ultimately look something like this:

385B2B26-0E01-47FA-B9B7-1A0C130F086E.jpeg
DC9B9C5E-074D-4472-A449-6C68E0AE7E4A.jpeg

Reactions: Bakwa and _Will_
Does anyone have input on this barrel? It looks like a Hyrbid mixed with a Core series and mild flutes on it.

• Love
Reactions: JS8588
Does anyone have input on this barrel? It looks like a Hyrbid mixed with a Core series and mild flutes on it.

Huh, never seen that one before. I like the profile and weight, if it was available in different lengths or gas systems I might have to try one. That said, it's a Criterion and in my experience they pretty much all shoot well, so I wouldn't expect anything amazing or terrible from it.

Reactions: JS8588 and _Will_
Huh, never seen that one before. I like the profile and weight, if it was available in different lengths or gas systems I might have to try one. That said, it's a Criterion and in my experience they pretty much all shoot well, so I wouldn't expect anything amazing or terrible from it.
I ended up buying it. Guess I'll be the guinea pig lol. I talked to someone who has it and said it's almost identical to the core. Sadly he didn't really put it through much of any testing other than " Wolf gold" to zero it. Like really? You buy a criterion and shoot cheap factory ammo through it.:oops: ( I mean we all do from time to time)

The profile looks identical to the White Oak SDM. HBAR in the rear and mid in the front

Yeah, the profile is super smart (didn't mean to channel Nutnfancy there, but 🤷‍♂️). A 20 inch rifle gas would be exactly what I need for a build I have in mind.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Got the barrel. Little worried the contour upfront resembles a pencil barrel rather than a " medium contour" as described. I measured it with my calipers and its right around .635 in comparison my Ruger AR556 barrel is .698

The design of the Criterion from Bonesteel goes from a HBAR .0760 +/- down to .635 +/- maybe that wont have such a effect on barrel harmonics as I'm thinking?

Last edited:
The design of the Criterion from Bonesteel goes from a HBAR .0760 +/- down to .635 +/- maybe that wont have such a effect on barrel harmonics as I'm thinking?
Hard to say. The funny thing about barrels is it might not shoot but you'll never have a really good way of proving its the weird profile to blame rather than the plethora of other variables at play in a barrel.

Reactions: JS8588 and _Will_
While it don’t really fall under a recce barrel (usually heavier profile upfront) I’m sure it will shoot well.

My SS Noveske's are all .5 MOA with the right ammo, absolutely phenomenal barrels all around. Couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakwa
Got the barrel. Little worried the contour upfront resembles a pencil barrel rather than a " medium contour" as described. I measured it with my calipers and its right around .635 in comparison my Ruger AR556 barrel is .698

So, how did it shoot?

Reactions: simonp
16" WOA for me has been great. So far shoots my 69 & 77 Gr SMK's at about .6 MOA pretty consistently. I've had one range day with the Harrels barrel tuner. Still working on it.
IMG_2065.JPG

Reactions: S197
Original Sniper/Recce Carbines were 723s free-floated with KAC 2-stage triggers, suppressed. Early 1990s after Panama. LAV talked about it in an article several years back. They started shaving carry handles off after seeing the Colt ACR submission, which happened in the 1980s.

Guys started asking for more accurate pipes, so they tried stainless match, but those shot out too fast on the Unit shoot schedule, so they went back to CMV pipes instead to increase the intervals of barrel change.

image11.jpg

Assaulters were having barrels changed every 2 weeks just for reference.

They started out using 14.5”, while some 16” were used later.

Dam Neck guys saw them and wanted something similar, so they sourced Lilja pipes for their 727s and used free-float handguards as well. By the time Navy SMU started doing them, the M4 had just gone into production, so there were some early transitional Recce carbines that took the barrel, aluminum free float tube, and suppressor combos from the 727s and just had it all mated to an M4 upper.

iu

Those evolved into these:

iu

iu

In the Army SMUs, it became the KAC MRE Recce:

vtjh94y.jpg

Biggest departure from the concept it weight and barrel length. The whole idea was having the same basic weight as a 723 Carbine but accurized, better trigger, with magnified optics mounted and useful Night Vision/Own the Night accessories. If a Sniper needed to switch to assaulter as part of contingencies, he could still do so without being burdened with an SR-25 or M21 and would share ammunition compatibility across the element.

The SPR in SOCOM was an out-growth of this initiative that started in the Unit. If it’s going to be suppressed, you can get rid of some barrel mass and let the can act as a heat sink to some extent. I really like how pencil weight barrels feel under a free-float, but not how they walk around after half a mag at 400yds.

The Mk.12 Mod H was an attempt to get back more to the somewhat-practical carbine configuration that existed from the start.

Main takeaway is that training, free-float, optics, NV-capabilities, and match ammo were more important for the Recce Carbine formula. A lot of the AR-15s on the market loosely follow this recipe without the manufacturers or builders being aware of the true origins and why.

@LRRPF52 Awesome post. I can’t imagine training so much I burn through a barrel every two weeks.

I have the White Oak 16” SPR barrel. I have an Ops Inc 12th model so it is nice to have the brake and collar cuts on the barrel.

You can get the lilja seal recce etc barrels here but I don't think OP is that picky (or that spendy):

I have one of their barrels on my 280 AI…apples to oranges comparison, I know, but a damn fine barrel. Far better than I‘m capable of shooting right now.