• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Empty_Syrup777

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Ohio
Hi all, I have a Seekins Havak Hit in 6.5 cm and am cleaning it thoroughly for the first time. I have put about 380 rounds through the barrel and can't get the sucker clean. Under the borescope I found these weird "spots or patches". What are they and should I be concerned? Almost looks like a thin layer of metal/carbon/copper flaked off. There are many of these spots through the barrel. Everything I use should be pretty easy on the barrel. The brushes are nickel coated, with nylon bristles and a carbon fiber cleaning rod. Help.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

Additionally I can't get the damn barrel clean. I have Boretech Eliminator with nylon brushes and some patches. I have spend probably two days with 40-50 patches. The 10 inches on the end are fairly clean but the first 10 or so look untouched. I have let it soak overnight, targeted brushing in the first half etc. I'm still getting pretty dirty patches so its got to be working but I didn't think it would take this much. Here's the first half and second half for comparison:
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

The spots indeed look like areas where the copper layer flaked off. Should be of no concern.

For heavy copper fouling, you should use a dedicated copper remover. If you want to stick with the Boretech product line - Cu+2 Copper Remover is the product to use. KG Industries KG-12 is also a good product. Use a bore mop soaked in the solution rather than patches.

The hard carbon can be removed either with a dedicated carbon remover - Boretech C4 Carbon Remover, KG Industries KG-1, CLR (calcium lime rust), or a very mild bore abrasive.

A lot of carbon that is embedded into the copper layer will be removed by removing the copper layer.

Reactions: John Glidewell
The spots indeed look like areas where the copper layer flaked off. Should be of no concern.

For heavy copper fouling, you should use a dedicated copper remover. If you want to stick with the Boretech product line - Cu+2 Copper Remover is the product to use. KG Industries KG-12 is also a good product. Use a bore mop soaked in the solution rather than patches.

The hard carbon can be removed either with a dedicated carbon remover - Boretech C4 Carbon Remover, KG Industries KG-1, CLR (calcium lime rust), or a very mild bore abrasive.

A lot of carbon that is embedded into the copper layer will be removed by removing the copper layer.
Thank you! I'm terrified to mess something up, looks like I'll put in an order for dedicated copper and carbon removers. Is eliminator supposed to be a "do all" combo that's not necessarily as effective as the others?

Thank you! I'm terrified to mess something up, looks like I'll put in an order for dedicated copper and carbon removers. Is eliminator supposed to be a "do all" combo that's not necessarily as effective as the others?
Pretty much. Eliminator is a great product for moderate fouling but the dedicated removers are much better at the hard carbon and heavy copper build up. Even if you clean after every range trip, eventually the hard carbon and copper deposits will build up to a point where a dedicated remover is recommended.

Reactions: Empty_Syrup777
From my experience, Eliminator can help get copper out but it doesn't seem to do much to the carbon. I use the Carbon Remover product from BoreTech.

Reactions: Empty_Syrup777