• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Making, why so many in Wisconsin

Well, I know that when I need a progressive die for a press or even a complicated single stage that’s where I go - Wisconsin/Illinois. If barrels are needed, they are there too. It’s like the rest of the lower 48 said fuck it and decided not to make the stuff that makes America work. Texas and Louisiana have the machining capability for oil, but when you want to make oil products that require flat metal to be pressed, you are calling up north. I flew more than once up there for this very reason, and holy shit did I get the ribbing about the size of deer they have and we don’t. I reminded them that we have better BBQ, good looking women and the checkbook. We all laughed and then they handed me a toboggan. Still wear it.

When I bought the press, it was a Danley. Stout as hell, bound for the foundry. Delivered on three trucks and one very old Wisconsinite to assemble it and train. This guy moved around that thing with purpose and precision. When he talked you took notes, lots of notes because you knew this wasn’t in any manual, it was the result of experience and an eye to quality. That should tell you something about how hollowed out our trade crafts are and how much of the trades are something closer to art.

The amount of time if takes to be a true master at something is staggering.

Reactions: pilotjoe
I will risk the wrath of all barrle manufactures when I let this cat out of the bag. The secret ingredient to the cutting fluid used in making fine barrels is extremely fresh beer delivered within minutes of finishing at the brewery, Wisconsin traditionally had big breweries so the barrel makers started there.

Reactions: pilotjoe