• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel profile for precision rifle

Re: Barrel profile for precision rifle

I am guessing you are going to use either an AICS, Manners or Mcmillan tactical style stock?

Sendero for me

I am using a #3 Shilen select match grade cut to 22" on my hunting rifle. It has a blueprinted action and is glass/pillar bedded into a McMillan with a very nice trigger. I can hold just under 1 MOA after the barrel has heated up as well as consistently hit a golf ball at 125 yards after a few beers. Thats precision enough for my needs. I think it really depends on what you plan on using the rifle for as well as how much weight you want to carry around in the field. Good luck, I love when it is time to start dreaming about the next project!

manners stock if it ever gets here
frown.gif
for tactical matches and maybe a dead deer or two

If you are going to do any hunting with it, I wouldnt go bigger than Rem Varmint or Sendero max!

Sendero is the biggest I would go with. I have a #7 that I really love to shoot, that being said I do not want to tote it very far at all

What caliber? In a .223 I found the light palma in a 10 pound rifle is a great package, super balance with enough weight to be stable on a rest or in position shooting. Im going with a heavy palma on a .243 for tactical matches and really like the contour. I tried shooting a MTU as someone else mentioned and it felt way to heavy on the muzzle for anything other than prone bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308</div></div>

+1, .308 is where its at.

I built my last rifle in an A-5 and went with a 24" Rem Varmint Countour (243AI). I've had #7's and #6 contours in lengths from 22-26"s and from here on out I don't see myself going heavier than the Rem Varmint countour. I tend use most of my rifles as much off the range shooting critters as I do on the range shootng steel. The only way I'd go heavier is if I'm trying to tame down a heavy recoiling range gun so I don't need a muzzle break.

Now I run light, and med palmas depending on what rifle it is...

No more #7 shit, im no strong man champ.

Are #7 profiles the same with different manufacturers? What are the typical measurements from chamber to muzzle?

I've got a Rock GAP profile blank waiting to be built right now but I fear I may be going down the same path with a friend's rifle which is at a hefty 18 lbs.+ with everything, so I am contemplating going light also.

My Rock blank is 1.20" for 4.00" at chamber end, straight taper down to 0.930" at muzzle finished at 23.00".

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for grins one of these days I am going to build up a 20" sporter weight .308. I just want to see how well it will shoot with a lightweight custom barrel.</div></div>

Just as tight. My hunting rifle is a Rem 7 in .308 with a #2 Pacnor tube. I only run a 1.5x6 scope on it and runs a bit under 7 pounds ready to hunt. It is mostly a 3/4moa rifle running hunting slugs like the Barnes TTSX. Im pretty sure the operator error is the only reason it will not go tighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Rock blank is 1.20" for 4.00" at chamber end, straight taper down to 0.930" at muzzle finished at 23.00".

Thanks.
</div></div>

According to Pacnors barrel weight calculator and contours the closest match is a NBRSA Heavy Varmint at about 6.26 pounds. Their #7 would be 5.85, heavy palma is 4.92, medium palma is 4.66 and a Remington Varmint profile is about 4.36.

You would be hanging an extra two pounds off of the front of the gun over a standard PSS and that will start to be dang heavy out front for any position shooting.

My friend's rifle is a Rem 700 with Bartlein 22" MTU (very similar specs to my Rock blank) with Badger Thruster, sitting in AICS stock with an USO SN3 sitting on top and a Harris swivel out front. Rifle is heavy but actually balances quite well in the middle. I guess if I am going with this barrel I will be going pretty much the same route or else I will encounter the front heavy balance. I am also getting an USO so at least that part is covered... :) Then again I'll be using it mostly for bench/range stuff so front heavy shouldn't be a biggie...

I have fat barrels on mine (Rock MTU 26"), but I have a Douglas Magnum contour on my 7-08.

For those that think skinny tubes can't hold POI when warm, you all need to go to a silhouette match and look at the hunter rifles.......a ram's body is only a couple moa high and the good guys hit plenty of them (offhand unsupported at 500m of course).