• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Barrel Tenon Over Cut, Safe to Continue?

structureaggie

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2005
Texas
In the process of building a 300 win mag. Got a little aggressive cutting the tenon. I over cut the tenon by 0.009 inches on the recoil lug and 0.006 inches on the major diameter of the action. Needless to say, I'm at a loose fit right now all the way around. Am I safe to continue and cut the threads or should I just move on to starting over further up the barrel? If I continue, with the dimensions I have, am I going to loose any accuracy?

Thank you for the help,

Gregg

What action are you fitting the barrel to?

Has the action been accurized/oversized?

What is your actual measurement of the thread tenon?

What class fit are you going for?

Its only what? 1.5-2" of barrel......just chop it and start again

You can easily make up for this on the pitch diameter. Push your shoulder ahead a little bit. Make it the OD so your lug slips onto it, it'll help with positioning. (this is assuming I understood you correctly when you stated that you went too deep and the lug doesn't have a cylinder to locate off of)

Buzz off the excess from the breech face to bring things back to the number.

Thread it, run it. Bet it'll be fine. Don't think for a second your the only one to ever do this. -I know nothing. . . .lol :)

As long as you cut the threads to the correct pitch diameter I think you'll be fine.
I always cut the major diameter a few thousandths under nominal, a sharp thread crest adds nothing.

Thanks fellas. The last two points occurred to me after I had thought about it a little longer. Appreciate the help.