• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel threaded length

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
I have a Savage large shank barrel, 1.120. The total threaded length on the barrel is about 1.3 inches. For a number of different reasons I'd like the threaded length to be longer, about 1.5". Can I thread this by hand using a 1 1/8-20 UN die? I have access to the die and 2-1/2 handle for free. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of the type of die I was going to use. It is a split adjustable die so I wouldn't have to cut the threads all in one pass.

Attachments

• die.jpg
    die.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 19
If I understand you correct, You are going to use a die to add threads to the shank end of the barrel?

Noooo.. DOn't do it. Dies dont belong around gun barrels.

The combination of the barrel lug I wanted to use, it's very thick, and the barrel nut I wanted to use ran the barrel out of threads. I could take it to a gunsmith and have it threaded further down or I was hoping I could use a die and add them myself. I thought I would check with those who might know better before I committed mayhem.
I'm still not sure why this won't work but I'll take smarter folks' word for it.

Maybe if you could give some additional information as to the lug width and the barrel nut you're wishing to use, some additional advise could be provided.

use a different barrel nut. not sure what you want to use that doesnt work with a standard barrel in the first place

could it work? maybe. would i want to shoot it? fuck no

Ran into this once before... As mentioned I would get a different lug- they only need to be so thick and then you are good to go. But the guy did not want to change lugs or barrel nuts so we ended up putting the barrel nut in the lathe and removing the last couple threads (not cutting the nut shorter- just running the cutter inside the nut and removing a little material). That let the nut move further down the barrel and made the needed room.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
If I understand you correct, You are going to use a die to add threads to the shank end of the barrel?

Noooo.. DOn't do it. Dies dont belong around gun barrels.
He’s got 1.3” of established thread. I fail to see how adding an additional .200 of threads with a die is going to hurt anything. Hell, it would probably be more accurate than someone trying to dial the existing threads dead nuts in a lathe and chasing them.

Now the why part, that’s up to him.

He’s got 1.3” of established thread. I fail to see how adding an additional .200 of threads with a die is going to hurt anything. Hell, it would probably be more accurate than someone trying to dial the existing threads dead nuts in a lathe and chasing them.

Now the why part, that’s up to him.
I wrote a barrel maker and they said the same thing.

To actually cut 0.2 threads with a die, you have to take the die well past the threads you want cut - i.e. 0.2 inches of thread is going to have another 0.1-0.3" of thread past the thread depth desired of 'started cut' where the thread is not full depth or usable. On a lathe the threads can be chased and stopped at exactly 0.2"of additional thread.

Not my gun, it might work, it might look goofy. My smith would charge very little to do this.

Ran into this once before... As mentioned I would get a different lug- they only need to be so thick and then you are good to go. But the guy did not want to change lugs or barrel nuts so we ended up putting the barrel nut in the lathe and removing the last couple threads (not cutting the nut shorter- just running the cutter inside the nut and removing a little material). That let the nut move further down the barrel and made the needed room.
This sounds like a simple and elegant solution, and if it gets messed up you ruined a $40 part and not a $300-600 barrel.

Reactions: Huckmeat
To actually cut 0.2 threads with a die, you have to take the die well past the threads you want cut - i.e. 0.2 inches of thread is going to have another 0.1-0.3" of thread past the thread depth desired of 'started cut' where the thread is not full depth or usable. On a lathe the threads can be chased and stopped at exactly 0.2"of additional thread.

Not my gun, it might work, it might look goofy. My smith would charge very little to do this.
Thread the die on until it hard stops. Give it four more turns, bam, .200” more threads than were there before.

Last edited: