• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel vise

Josebd

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2020
Texas
Looking for this,everybody is out of stock
81B21DF2-A9EF-4305-8D50-FA3EAF3D7B6F.png

Reactions: FuhQ
While redneckish, I have seen a pair of hockey pucks sandwiched together. The correct dia hole is drilled down the center, lengthwise and pucks are placed directly in a bench vise. I cannot account how many uses the guy got out of the set. If you barrel actions even semi regularly, you would be better off with the real deal.

I went with the SAC Modular Vise kit... I got it from Midway, but they appear to be sold out now, but are showing to be back in stock soon. Might put out a notification for that, unless you can find it in stock somewhere else. That link that was posted in Post #2 is a great price, and in stock. I'd go that route.

Jeez and here I am using this

Has worked just fine for me.

I have that one also. It works well.

Split the top. The oversized holes in the top pieces allow the plates to follow contour easier with more contact areas. Sort of like having a couple of vises holding the barrel.

20221020_193549.jpg

Pretty sure LRI sells a good solid barrel vise too (and personally I'd choose that over SAC); theirs is solid steel on steel against the barrel which is the best when you really need a lot of grip without slipping. Wood, aluminum, leather, paper, etc, even powder coating, are all sort of ok if you don't need a lot of torque, but I've run into slipping with every one of those with really tight barrel removals. A correctly sized set of steel bushings or blocks gives a lot more torque capability and won't scratch a nice barrel if your bushings have a decent finish.

Personally I make my own vise blocks with a hole ID sized specifically for the barrel I'm working on, but I know most people don't have that option. There's not really any substitute though for steel vise blocks matched to the barrel; nothing else grips better on a smooth round barrel.

Reactions: DIBBS