• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett Firearms acquired by Australian Company

1673916393750.png

Reactions: IndianaRem5r
I read this. What really surprised me is that this came out before SHOT -- Dana Loesch interviewed Chris Barrett -- and not a single word was spoken about the company being sold.

Which means it was termed to the interview. They don't want people to talk about it.

And I'm the reason why.

I'd wanted an M82 since I was a kid. Old enough to be able to actually afford one -- it was to be a gift for a big 10 birthday. That came when the world was going nuts in 2020 so I thought I'd wait until they got back around 8k. Well, early Jan I noticed a few places where I could get one right at 9k and figured the way things are now, that's as good as it'll ever get.

So, I was about to buy one. Then I stumbled upon a random article saying Barrett had been sold. To an aussie defense contractor.

I had to stop and mull that over for a few days. Why did I want the Barrett, did this change that for me, etc.

And it did. I wanted the Barrett because it was a piece of American history, national pride, and now they're just another sellout. Sure, that's their company to do with as they wish -- but it no longer carries the same meaning to me as it once did. Would I still want an M82? Well, hell yes. But I won't pay that much for it -- so I'll probably never own it.

Instead I went and bought a Desert-Tech STI in .50 instead.

I considered other rifles -- but the M82 is really the iconic semi-auto .50 so once that was out I was more interested in other things. Like portability and accuracy.

I have to think this is going to damage Barrett's business. I won't be doing business with them again. Not that I'm of import to them, but multiply me by thousands and I suspect that's the thing that's going to get them. And why they want this to blow over quietly.

Ronnie says in another interview that it was the Ausi company's interest in the Fieldcraft rifle.....they actually purchased the Fieldcraft and then they started talking about them buying the whole company.

Ronnie says in another interview that it was the Ausi company's interest in the Fieldcraft rifle.....they actually purchased the Fieldcraft and then they started talking about them buying the whole company.
Interesting tidbit.

I suggest the value of any of your Barrett semi-auto .50bmg rifles is about to go way up.
Way down.
Where are you going to get a warranty ?
What if you need a spare part ?

They were overpriced from the get go, fuck Barrett.
You can get a 50 from a bazillion companies.

• Haha
Reactions: WaltHer
Way down.
Where are you going to get a warranty ?
What if you need a spare part ?

They were overpriced from the get go, fuck Barrett.
You can get a 50 from a bazillion companies.

How many companies make a fairly reliable semi-auto, magazine fed, shoulder fired .50bmg that you could go out and buy?

I read this. What really surprised me is that this came out before SHOT -- Dana Loesch interviewed Chris Barrett -- and not a single word was spoken about the company being sold.

Which means it was termed to the interview. They don't want people to talk about it.

And I'm the reason why.

I'd wanted an M82 since I was a kid. Old enough to be able to actually afford one -- it was to be a gift for a big 10 birthday. That came when the world was going nuts in 2020 so I thought I'd wait until they got back around 8k. Well, early Jan I noticed a few places where I could get one right at 9k and figured the way things are now, that's as good as it'll ever get.

So, I was about to buy one. Then I stumbled upon a random article saying Barrett had been sold. To an aussie defense contractor.

I had to stop and mull that over for a few days. Why did I want the Barrett, did this change that for me, etc.

And it did. I wanted the Barrett because it was a piece of American history, national pride, and now they're just another sellout. Sure, that's their company to do with as they wish -- but it no longer carries the same meaning to me as it once did. Would I still want an M82? Well, hell yes. But I won't pay that much for it -- so I'll probably never own it.

Instead I went and bought a Desert-Tech STI in .50 instead.

I considered other rifles -- but the M82 is really the iconic semi-auto .50 so once that was out I was more interested in other things. Like portability and accuracy.

I have to think this is going to damage Barrett's business. I won't be doing business with them again. Not that I'm of import to them, but multiply me by thousands and I suspect that's the thing that's going to get them. And why they want this to blow over quietly.
You probably got lucky. I had an M-82 and its a beast. The DT looks like it would be more accurate.

Reactions: Gommer

Wow. He definitely did not have a PR person clear this interview.

From the article:
"And in the mid-90s we had a whole lot of new gun laws come into Australia and we had to diversify the business because the sporting market itself was under attack and it was challenging and so we figured we had to get big or get out.

And we figured we weren’t getting out. We were always going to be in the gun industry. And so I led the diversification to law enforcement and the military. In fact, it was only law enforcement we were targeting to start with."

I wonder if he thought that story would win him favor in the US market? Holy shit.

I went with another company, another type of gun all together, because losing the American owned patriotic company thing took away from the 'iconic' M82. Not so much I'd like boycott or anything, it just wasn't something I wanted to spend $10k on.

This won't even make me boycott them. I certainly won't be spending the kind of money they charge for their firearms, but I'm not going to say I'd never own a Barrett firearm.

BUT! I'll bet there are a lot of people who will boycott them for that statement should that statement get run deep around the firearms community.

Any doubt this company would now work to arm a tyrannical government in America is straight up gone right here with that one interview. Damn, lol.

Wow. He definitely did not have a PR person clear this interview.

From the article:
"And in the mid-90s we had a whole lot of new gun laws come into Australia and we had to diversify the business because the sporting market itself was under attack and it was challenging and so we figured we had to get big or get out.

And we figured we weren’t getting out. We were always going to be in the gun industry. And so I led the diversification to law enforcement and the military. In fact, it was only law enforcement we were targeting to start with."

I wonder if he thought that story would win him favor in the US market? Holy shit.

I went with another company, another type of gun all together, because losing the American owned patriotic company thing took away from the 'iconic' M82. Not so much I'd like boycott or anything, it just wasn't something I wanted to spend $10k on.

This won't even make me boycott them. I certainly won't be spending the kind of money they charge for their firearms, but I'm not going to say I'd never own a Barrett firearm.

BUT! I'll bet there are a lot of people who will boycott them for that statement should that statement get run deep around the firearms community.

Any doubt this company would now work to arm a tyrannical government in America is straight up gone right here with that one interview. Damn, lol.
I dont see blaming him. If the Aussie government was shutting down the civilian market, he did what he had to do to survive.

I dont see blaming him. If the Aussie government was shutting down the civilian market, he did what he had to do to survive.

“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”