• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein 2B 7mm-08 for a all around short range hunting ?

st1650

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
So I'm already thinking ahead for next year hunting season.

I already have a defiance anTI ultra light build for coyote in 204 ruger but I'd like to swap the bolt and barrels for fall hunt (mostly deer and black bear inside of 200 yards)

Plan is to go 7mm-08 because I'm using a HS precision DBM which limit coal to 2.85". Plus Lapua brass is available here which is nice. Planning to shoot either Lapua Naturalis 160 or similar (Barnes 150-160s).

Thinking about 20" for finished length. No threads or maybe 1/2x28.

So any reason not to go with a blank 7mm 2B Bartlein 1:9 twist that my dealer has in stock ? Importing a pre fit barrel from the States would be expensive and time consuming and most prefits are bigger contours or carbon wrapped sendero light which wouldn't fit the Manners ultra classic stock.

Yep I went 3 on my last hunting varminting barrel. The next one will be a 2b. The 3 is just a little too big for a hunting rifle over 18".

Sounds great! I have a Brux #3 on my 7mm08 and it’s about perfect.
@Oregonmuley has one with a 2b that’s pretty much perfect too, he should throw up a pic.

Sounds great! I have a Brux #3 on my 7mm08 and it’s about perfect.
@Oregonmuley has one with a 2b that’s pretty much perfect too, he should throw up a pic.
Go for it! The 2b & 7MM-08 combo makes for a perfect all around hunting rig. Here is the one XTREM mentioned, sadly I sold this one to fund the next 7MM-08 build I did;) This one finished @ 22.5". If you are thinking of building and don't have a smith lined up yet I highly recommend Shaen Magan @ Shaen Rifles. He really knows how to get the most out of a 7MM-08 and has really good turn around time on builds and a good guy to work with. He did my last 2 7MM-08's which are both perfecto!!

2b/McMillan Classic Edge stock. Should never of sold this one!

Bugholes probably has a Bartlein blank or something comparable. 7mm08 was first cartridge I got serious about reloading for and loved it. I had good results with alot of different bullets, I liked Ramshot Hunter the best for powders.

Last edited:
I really like my 20 inch. I don't think blast is excessive.
Depends on what time it is...... We live in rural East Tennessee, wife and daughter have chickens, varmints like chicken. Wife was raising hell about something getting her chickens and what could I do?
Custom pre-64 model 70 .308 20 inch barrel, Schmidt & Bender 3X12, its a drill. Sitting out on the porch in the dark (full moon) see something moving down in the field, draw a bead and break a nice shot, 4' fireball and I can't see shit, I have a fireball in each eye:) Wife's yelling did you get it? Don't know? Wander down in the field and sure enough find a dead red fox. Very early or late muzzle flash is a big deal. Switched to my .223 Ackly no problem.

Depends on what time it is...... We live in rural East Tennessee, wife and daughter have chickens, varmints like chicken. Wife was raising hell about something getting her chickens and what could I do?
Custom pre-64 model 70 .308 20 inch barrel, Schmidt & Bender 3X12, its a drill. Sitting out on the porch in the dark (full moon) see something moving down in the field, draw a bead and break a nice shot, 4' fireball and I can't see shit, I have a fireball in each eye:) Wife's yelling did you get it? Don't know? Wander down in the field and sure enough find a dead red fox. Very early or late muzzle flash is a big deal. Switched to my .223 Ackly no problem.
You live in TN and dont shoot suppressed at night. What kind of commie shit is that? 😂

Is your SB a 3-12 klassik ? I’m considering getting one to replace my unreliable lht HD 3-15.

The 3-12 klassik is a great scope. I have one on my 7mm08. love it.
I have an accupoint 3-9 currently because it has decent low light, illum, mil reticle and weights 13oz and been super reliable. But I wouldn’t mind going to a 3-12 FFP klassik with a illum mildot reticle. They’re pretty lightweight for a 30mm FFP tube with illum. They’re just a bit hard to find in Canada.

I went with the 3-12x42 precision hunter. See that EuroOptic has/had the 3-12x50 with illuminated P3 reticle for around $1500. Might try that one. Weight stays the same.

B71D0B85-056A-45EB-9B45-76195737D2F6.jpeg

Reactions: st1650
Here is a rifle I just had built for my grandson. 7mm-08 #3 Hart barrel 1-8 twist. Stiller Predator action, Trigger Tech Diamond, HS Precision stock with check piece. 12.5 LOP, He’s 9. Glass bedded. Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 PR1—Mil with ARC rings. Thunder Beast Ultra 7.

Attachments

• 8F3D2449-5D57-46B3-A29A-D12940C6E8C5.jpeg
    8F3D2449-5D57-46B3-A29A-D12940C6E8C5.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 71
OP, that would be a great hunting rifle. I have a 22" 6 Creed hunting rifle with a HS Precision DBM. I'm using an Origin action, HS Precision Sendero take off stock and direct mount Hawkins Hybrid rings to mount a March 3x24 F1. A very similar rifle.

I deliberated for two years on getting a 7-08 barrel for it. My concern was the mag length limit. Had the Hawkins Hunter DBM mag been out at the time I would've used that. But I do very much enjoy the HS P DBM. I've seated 7mm bullets to try to figure out what OAL I'd need to accommodate. I settled on 150gr bullets as max. I never looked at big round nose bullets though. I actually considered having a 7 Creedmoor reamer made just to address the OAL. In the end I just went with a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor. Better OAL, bullets in generally the same weight range but with a better BC. Not suggesting a cartridge to you, my hunting is different than yours. Just giving consideration to the OAL limit you may run into using these mags.

I highly recommend the March F1 3x24's. I feel like they are a perfect size match to these types of rifles. I will admit a S&B 3x12 would be much better optically, especially for your type of hunting.

I lust for a nitrided Defiance Anti with direct mount rings in a lightweight Manners stock in something 20" 7mm. Fantastic setup. I'd be interested in seeing your setup when you are finished.

Here's mine. It's a little bit larger. 9lbs with the Ultra 5. I don't have the 20" 6.5 barrel in it yet. I won't claim to be so smart that I designed it this way; more of a coincidence but it balances and points really well.

View attachment 7709659
View attachment 7709661

Yeah I’d love to go with a MK5 3-18 or March 3-24 but up here in Canada it’s a 3000-3800$ scope (with illum) and I could get a S&B klassik 3-12 for half that. As for the caliber, I was originally considering 6.5 Creed as well since it’s very enjoyable to shoot out of my DTA and it can shoot 1/2 moa with Sako 156 Onyx Bonded. But for my type of hunting, I’m not planning to go anywhere more than 200 yards and if I need to, I’ll just set up the DTA on a tripod.
I don’t think there’s much difference between 140-150gr 6.5 creed and 140-150gr 7mm-08 inside of 200-300 yards. Probably not that much difference recoil wise.

Reactions: reubenski
I found a German made Klassik 3-12x42 with the BDC turret (0.1 mil per click) and P3 (mil reticle)
Anyone knows if those have a zero stop/zero set and if there enough internal travel for my Hawkins Hybrid which are 25 moa ?

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
A buddy of mine took his 7-08 to africa, the guide tried to talk him out of it when he left, it works well.

7-08 is a great short barrel short range cartridge.

The best part about a barrel, is you get to change it when it's shot out. This means you can adjust later if experience dictates a change.