• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ZEISS Presents All-New LRP S5 - FFP Riflescopes for Long-Range Precision Shooting and Hunting

I think ILya covered this with his video on apparent field of view, unfortunately it is not a linear formula but I agree this probably gets you close. A good example of a scope that doesn't fit the formula well is many NF ATACR scopes, they have fairly pathetic FOV numbers at the bottom of their magnification due to their design, but as you increase magnification the FOV increases quite significantly to the point where it will have sometimes greater FOV vs. other scopes with same magnification with higher low mag FOV.
Well, that's NF's problem. But just for fun, I went to their website and found information about the ATACR 5-5X56. The FOV at 5X is a small cozy 18ft @ 100 yards. On the other hand the FOV at 25X is respectable 4.9ft at 100 yards. So if we flip the formula around and use the FOV at max instead of min magnification, the FOV for that scope at 18X is 6.8ft @ 100 yards, as displayed in the list earlier on.

So the moral of the story is: look for the values at the low and high end of magnification and then run them through the reciprocal formula. If the minimum magnification shows that the high magnification is the same as listed by the manufacturer, you "should be" good to go for anything in between with the formula (from either end).

If the calculated FOV at max magnification is different than what the manufacturer states in the propaganda sheet as in the case of the ATACR, use the maximum magnification values for your mid to high magnification calculations and use the minimum magnification values for your low to mid magnification calculations. Or buy a proper riflescope.:cool:

Reactions: Glassaholic
I recently went through this little crucible. Koshkin chimed in as well, verifying other’s info.

Basically, you can use Excel or Numbers (mac) to generate a FOV graph. It’s pretty neat.

I’m a spreadsheet dumbass and math-challenged and even I (eventually) figured it out, thanks to the kind and patient folks on the Hide.

See below:

1645311358416.jpeg

Not my graph

1645311304123.png

My graph

Received one 5-25X56 MRAD today from the Finnish importer.
Was not took so much eye balling thru the scope today, was home at 6PM, so i just quick mounted to level with the Audere Adversus mount and throw it to my rifle, to get some pictures, before it get´s dark.
More test coming, the scope is on a test for a 4 weeks.
Z10.JPG

When compared side by side, do you find the zco image appears closer even at the same magnification?
I have not gone so far yet, just received the scope today, and i spend a 4 hours at this day on hospital, my daugter had a fracture on a finger, and it needed a plaster.
But i try to do so, take a side by side looking, once i have time to do so.
I did modified tactacam to the Zeiss, here is the video, how it looks thru the tactacam.
Shitty thing is, that i am not able to put that camera to my ZCO scopes, the mount of tactacam is made smaller scope eye pieces.

Zeiss has done a good job with the LRP, no doubt about, but my heart belong the ZCO.
View attachment 7888137
My good friend @GBMaryland has a Zeiss and we both thought the image quality was extremely nice.

I did not have my ZCO at the time to compare.

I went ZCO for a number of reasons but in particular, vice the Zeiss, I just didn't like the Zeiss turrets. Yeah, they are huge but my real objection was the way the elevation turret indicates the revolution you were on (e.g. 1-12, 13-24, etc) with with the whole turret raising up and showing witness marks. Just not my cup of tea but many others may not mind it at all.

And speedy healing for your daughter...at that age, she will probably mend that bone overnight! haha

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassaholic
Hope that Zeiss will figure out some options (low profile turrets) and evolve the platform over time.

Reactions: Chasing3
My good friend @GBMaryland has a Zeiss and we both thought the image quality was extremely nice.

I did not have my ZCO at the time to compare.

I went ZCO for a number of reasons but in particular, vice the Zeiss, I just didn't like the Zeiss turrets. Yeah, they are huge but my real objection was the way the elevation turret indicates the revolution you were on (e.g. 1-12, 13-24, etc) with with the whole turret raising up and showing witness marks. Just not my cup of tea but many others may not mind it at all.

And speedy healing for your daughter...at that age, she will probably mend that bone overnight! haha

Cheers
Thank you sir ❤️

Shot my first match with the lrp 5-25 today, and i also shot a bunch with it this week. I sold my zco 4-20 to try put the zeiss, and at the match today i took another guys zco527 and compared it to the zeiss side by side.

This is what we found, the glass quality is negligible between the two, at the same power the fov was very similar, while the zco image appeared slightly larger/closer.

The zco527 had a mpct3, my zco420 had a mpct2, but i feel the zeiss zf-mri is superior in my opinion. Very clean and crisp. While the mpct reticles are very good as well, i just find the zeiss a bit better for my eyes.

As far as the turrets go, for prs, the zeiss turrets are far superior. I have never had such an easy time dialing, the tall turrets allow you to see the position while never coming off the gun. The mtc at every mil is fantastic, and the clicks are crisp and audible.

In comparison the zco turrets are more muted, and a tad more mushy. Also, having to unlock the turret adds an extra step, and because of how low they are, they arent quite as easy to read from behind the scope.

The zeiss illumination is the best i have ever seen, while i rarely use illumination, it is still nice to have.

I shot with the parallax at infinity the whole day and found that i never had an issue with the clarity.

Now, my biggest issue with the zeiss is that the zero stop/ rezeroing setup is pretty fussy, and not as simple as the zco. I hope the more i use the scope, the easier it gets to use, but for my i wish the caps wouldnt click when disengaged, and i wish they made a set screw that can only be backed off the correct amount to free up the turret. None of this “one full rotation bullshit”

So to wrap up, i really enjoyed shooting the zeiss, when i discussed the zeiss to the zco with the zco527 owner at the match, we both thought that we were happy with what we have and making the switch one to the other isnt worth it.

I wouldnt trade my zeiss for his zco, and he wouldnt trade his zco for my zeiss, while he did enjoy the turrets of the zeiss.

Attachments

• AADF964A-5459-408D-ACAE-3D0CC1203D2F.jpeg
    AADF964A-5459-408D-ACAE-3D0CC1203D2F.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 121
Shot my first match with the lrp 5-25 today, and i also shot a bunch with it this week. I sold my zco 4-20 to try put the zeiss, and at the match today i took another guys zco527 and compared it to the zeiss side by side.

This is what we found, the glass quality is negligible between the two, at the same power the fov was very similar, while the zco image appeared slightly larger/closer.

The zco527 had a mpct3, my zco420 had a mpct2, but i feel the zeiss zf-mri is superior in my opinion. Very clean and crisp. While the mpct reticles are very good as well, i just find the zeiss a bit better for my eyes.

As far as the turrets go, for prs, the zeiss turrets are far superior. I have never had such an easy time dialing, the tall turrets allow you to see the position while never coming off the gun. The mtc at every mil is fantastic, and the clicks are crisp and audible.

In comparison the zco turrets are more muted, and a tad more mushy. Also, having to unlock the turret adds an extra step, and because of how low they are, they arent quite as easy to read from behind the scope.

The zeiss illumination is the best i have ever seen, while i rarely use illumination, it is still nice to have.

I shot with the parallax at infinity the whole day and found that i never had an issue with the clarity.

Now, my biggest issue with the zeiss is that the zero stop/ rezeroing setup is pretty fussy, and not as simple as the zco. I hope the more i use the scope, the easier it gets to use, but for my i wish the caps wouldnt click when disengaged, and i wish they made a set screw that can only be backed off the correct amount to free up the turret. None of this “one full rotation bullshit”

So to wrap up, i really enjoyed shooting the zeiss, when i discussed the zeiss to the zco with the zco527 owner at the match, we both thought that we were happy with what we have and making the switch one to the other isnt worth it.

I wouldnt trade my zeiss for his zco, and he wouldnt trade his zco for my zeiss, while he did enjoy the turrets of the zeiss.
I shot a match yesterday and a guy in my squad had the Zeiss. I was running a ZCO 527. After the match he asked to compare optics side-by-side. Observations were similar to @Turbwhistle. After comparison, the Zeiss owner said he would not sell his Zeiss to buy a ZCO. He said he had a ZCO 420 previously and was really happy with his Zeiss. My thoughts were that the ZCO image quality was a bit (very slight) better and the image appeared a bit bigger / closer through the ZCO. Also there is less of an appearance of an outer black ring around the lens when looking through the ZCO. Set at the same magnification (20x), the FOV was similar. I loved the Zeiss turret. Thought I’d hate it because of its height, but it made it much easier to dial than the ZCO low profile turret. Turret felt great. I actually don’t care for the ZCO turret for PRS. I also prefer a non-locking turret. The Zeiss illumination is simply amazing. I could run a Zeiss and may pick one up.

I shot a match yesterday and a guy in my squad had the Zeiss. I was running a ZCO 527. After the match he asked to compare optics side-by-side. Observations were similar to @Turbwhistle. After comparison, the Zeiss owner said he would not sell his Zeiss to buy a ZCO. He said he had a ZCO 420 previously and was really happy with his Zeiss. My thoughts were that the ZCO image quality was a bit (very slight) better and the image appeared a bit bigger / closer through the ZCO. Also there is less of an appearance of an outer black ring around the lens when looking through the ZCO. Set at the same magnification (20x), the FOV was similar. I loved the Zeiss turret. Thought I’d hate it because of its height, but it made it much easier to dial than the ZCO low profile turret. Turret felt great. I actually don’t care for the ZCO turret for PRS. I also prefer a non-locking turret. The Zeiss illumination is simply amazing. I could run a Zeiss and may pick one up.
Hey Nick, i was said guy. It was great shooting with you.

Reactions: nickw
First range trip done with Zeiss.
Very picky eye box on Zeiss, was quite surpriced how finicky it was.
Reticle is nice, but i like more ZCO, Zeiss reticle is a bit thinner, and not as crisp as ZCO.
Also the windage turret could be lower, my rifle all the cases hit the turret.
Maybe the 2.0 might be better after few changes.
ZE9.JPG

Reticle is nice, but i like more ZCO, Zeiss reticle is a bit thinner, and not as crisp as ZCO.
View attachment 7889950
I hope they do come out with a 2.0. Just a few tweaks would make it a lot better.

View attachment 7889950
Wow, and you are using a somewhat high Audere one-piece mount and its still hitting your windage turret. Wow.

All my Audere mount are 38mm high, the highest they have.
Still the case is beating the windage turrets on Zeiss :D
Wow....I've not shot a Tikka so I'm guessing they all throw so high? Or maybe its just the height (width, I suppose really) of the windage turret?

I use pretty low ARC M-10 rings...28mm....with a Seekins Havak action on one gun and a Defiance Deviant on another. One with a Leupold Mk 5 5-25 and the other with ZCO 5-27 and to my knowledge I've never hit the windage turret on either and I run the bolt fairly authoritatively.

Thanks for the pics and the reply.

Cheers

Reactions: viking78
Tikka have a 70 degree throw…less than your common Remington 700.

Reactions: lash
It sounds more of a rifle issue then a scope issue. When i had my zco 420 on my lone peak fuzion, i had an issue with my cases ejecting into my elevation turret. I talked to lone peak, and they had me file the extractor slightly to lower the height the brass was ejected. Once that was fixes, i never had the issue again with the zco or the zeiss.

Easy mistake. You’re talking about the angle of extraction and ejection and he thought you meant the degree of bolt throw.
Yes, rereading my post I can see how that could happen.

Cheers.

Easy mistake. You’re talking about the angle of extraction and ejection and he thought you meant the degree of bolt throw.
💯 my reading comprehension was lacking.
Hope you feel better soon, my friend.

Sure it ain’t the virus?

Hope we can still shoot next Mon. Take care and speedy recovery.
It’s the China flu. 🫤

• Sad
Reactions: Baron23
💯 my reading comprehension was lacking.

It’s the China flu. 🫤
Get better soon and if it looks like things are going downhill don’t try to just man up, call your Doc or go to ER.

Have you looked into the antiviral they have for that shit now? Can’t remember what it’s called.

And I’ll stop w the unsolicited advise now. Haha

Got a 3-18 in a few days ago. Don’t have a lot of time behind it yet. But was able to compare to my pmii 3-20 non ultra short. Pretty easily better than that I’m terms of clarity sharpness on the top end. Eye box is awesome. Reminds me of a 4-16 henny. So far impressed. Turrets are okay. They don’t line up 100% which is kind of a stupid thing and no flip caps for 3 in half grand. But it is what it is.
57DE38BE-6698-405D-8349-3A753B502357.jpeg
5CA07D1B-E9C2-463D-A942-8FCE9374E1EE.jpeg

Tikkaguy; "Eye box is awesome. Reminds me of a 4-16 henny". vs. Viking78; "Very picky eye box on Zeiss, was quite surpriced how finicky it was."

The S&B 5x25 and the ZCO527 have a generous eye box, one not significantly better than the other in my experience (yours may vary).
The 4-16 Hensoldt beats them both (for me). In addition, that 4-16 Hensoldt, there is something about that scope, cant put my finger on it. I can watch TV trough that thing all day long if I had to, and comfortably too. Not sure what the magic is there, but I never seen anything like it (and still looking for it). If indeed this Zeiss is like the 4-16 henny, then I NEED one today! My stigmatism NEEDS one! However, you are the first one making that comparison and the opinions seem far spread. I sold all my rifles and scopes a few years back and now I am looking to pick it up again. I was leaning towards the S&B 5x25 (prefer it over the ZCO) as the Hensoldt is no longer available but am open to anything in that price range. So this is the one huh? I might have to try is. After all, the Zeiss Foundation owns Zeiss, Schott, and former Hensoldt & Leica, so is it not too far fetched to hope that somehow the little 4-16 Hensoldt might return in some form or shape.

Last edited:
Tikkaguy; "Eye box is awesome. Reminds me of a 4-16 henny". vs. Viking78; "Very picky eye box on Zeiss, was quite surpriced how finicky it was."

The S&B 5x25 and the ZCO527 have a generous eye box, one not significantly better than the other in my experience (yours may vary).
The 4-16 Hensoldt beats them both. In addition, that 4-16 Hensoldt, there is something about that scope, cant put my finger on it. I can watch TV trough that thing all day long if I had to, and comfortably too. Not sure what the magic is there, but I never seen anything like it (and still looking for it). If indeed this Zeiss is like the 4-16 henny, then I NEED one today! My stigmatism NEEDS one! However, you are the first one making that comparison and the opinions seem far spread. I sold all rifles and scopes a few years back and now I am looking to pick it up again. I was leaning towards the S&B 5x25 as the Hensoldt is no longer available but am open to anything in that price range. So this is the one huh?
At first I really liked the ziess. But the more I got behind it the more my eyes didn’t like it. No matter how much I played with eye relief and the diopter. I kept getting eye fatigue. I don’t think it’s in the same class as the 4-16. I sold it and bought a 5-25 minox zp5. No regrets. Night and day to me. I’m told 5-25 Zeiss is better. I also like the pmii 3-20 I have still. I have never had a 5-25 pmii. I’m sure it’s nice.

Well, there goes that then, lol. Had my hopes up for a moment. Who needs eye strain/fatigue. My stigmatism already provides enough of that without me looking through a tiny hole. Perhaps that new S&B 6x36 is the one to go after. I go to Europe back and forth quite a bit. I can get it there for a reasonable price, not like the ridiculous inflated numbers I see here in the US. Anyways, Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

I will also look at that 5-25 minox zp5. I hear lots of great things about it. Never had the pleasure of looking through one though. Wasn't that zp5 designed by the same people that build the Premier 5x25?

Last edited:
Well, there goes that then, lol. Had my hopes up for a moment. Who needs eye strain/fatigue. My stigmatism already provides enough of that without me looking through a tiny hole. Perhaps that new S&B 6x36 is the one to go after. I go to Europe back and forth quite a bit. I can get it there for a reasonable price, not like the ridiculous inflated numbers I see here in the US. Anyways, Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

I will also look at that 5-25 minox zp5. I hear lots of great things about it. Never had the pleasure of looking through one though. Wasn't that zp5 designed by the same people that build the Premier 5x25?
Yes I think you would be wise to stick with the Schmit/ optronika designed scopes. Which include the pmii, minox zp5, tangent theta, and the old premier heritage. They are all long scopes that are very forgiving and kind to the eye. They all have a little in common design wise. Always seem to be the one to beat optically.

At first I really liked the ziess. But the more I got behind it the more my eyes didn’t like it. No matter how much I played with eye relief and the diopter. I kept getting eye fatigue. I don’t think it’s in the same class as the 4-16. I sold it and bought a 5-25 minox zp5. No regrets. Night and day to me. I’m told 5-25 Zeiss is better. I also like the pmii 3-20 I have still. I have never had a 5-25 pmii. I’m sure it’s nice.

The 5-25 is on a different level than the 3-20. Optically the 5-25 is basically on par with the minox, with slight nod to the minox.