• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ZEISS Presents All-New LRP S5 - FFP Riflescopes for Long-Range Precision Shooting and Hunting

An other set…. 9333B5FA-D199-454C-9E4B-3C5BF4A01460.jpeg1BF30CDA-6FDD-45A6-A8EE-6DA319E8A3E2.jpeg8F771497-CD7E-4B81-A45E-7C5B2CC221BB.jpeg78DDA1B8-0143-4823-A6AA-92A5DF707238.jpegCEF1D48D-B8C8-4948-8B6F-7728E9EFAF7F.jpeg3319AB86-E123-4227-87D1-18A5E88B0664.jpegF0C5FCC3-A7D5-4C4F-AAF0-1A4F3A6BCD60.jpeg45252539-4789-4113-9D08-6A7A8D4B9D04.jpeg

What’s interesting is the pictures on posting or not coming in as clean as they actually are on the phone itself. So the compressions kind of screwing up the clarity of the pictures…
Unavoidable unless you buy your own hosting for uncompressed images.

So I did pictures through the S5, an S&B 5-25 (PM II), 4-16 (ultra clear), and 5-20 (ultra short).

The S5 and the classic PM II are on par with each other.

What really surprised me was that the ultra clear at magnification had some purple on the edges that was very noticeable. Don’t get me wrong, the picture was very clean, just the ultra clear glass was not as nice as the S5 subjectively due to the CA. Which makes me wanna try the S5 scope with the lower magnification… especially given that the 4-16x56 ultra clear is a big scope.

The 5-20x56 ultra short at full magnification did not have as nice picture as the S5.

It was definitely easier to get clean pictures through the Schmidt and bender 5-25x56 PM II.

However, the eye box was much more forgiving on the S5, even though the eye relief on both scopes is the same according to the manuals.

I did find that both of the 5-25 scopes appear to have comparable glass.

Reactions: boomslang
It was mentioned by somebody in a PM to me that they understood the central body of the scope was a little on a large side and what rings had I used?

I was able to use a sphur QDP-4006 with 1 mm on the backside and 2 mm on the front side of clearance…

7907BA1E-7403-4F86-BA41-CEF3712F6C8D.jpeg
58B117F7-BEA9-498B-BC19-981817022592.jpeg

can you guys describe the turrets?
I have been told that’s a little
But of a let down. Only complaint I have been seeing though is that they are large.

But of a let down. Only complaint I have been seeing though is that they are large.
I don't know how the turrets could possibly be considered a letdown?

Real nice feel and every mil has a "more tactile click". Having felt them all, I think the Zeiss and Tangent have the best feel, and the MTC is noticeable and awesome.

I have a video I posted in a thread I made over the LRP, if you can't find it let me know and I can link it.

Reactions: Mrhyne and lash
Yeah, I echo Tyler's comments. The only issue with the turrets is the sheer size. The actual function is very good, very distinct tactile click. Not spongy at all.

Some people get stuck on the turret having 12 mils instead of 10 mils per rotation but that really is a personal thing and several high end scopes don't have 10 mils per revolution anyway so 🤷‍♂️.

Reactions: Mrhyne and lash
So I did pictures through the S5, an S&B 5-25 (PM II), 4-16 (ultra clear), and 5-20 (ultra short).

The S5 and the classic PM II are on par with each other.

What really surprised me was that the ultra clear at magnification had some purple on the edges that was very noticeable. Don’t get me wrong, the picture was very clean, just the ultra clear glass was not as nice as the S5 subjectively due to the CA. Which makes me wanna try the S5 scope with the lower magnification… especially given that the 4-16x56 ultra clear is a big scope.

The 5-20x56 ultra short at full magnification did not have as nice picture as the S5.

It was definitely easier to get clean pictures through the Schmidt and bender 5-25x56 PM II.

However, the eye box was much more forgiving on the S5, even though the eye relief on both scopes is the same according to the manuals.

I did find that both of the 5-25 scopes appear to have comparable glass.
I am unfamiliar with the ultra “clear”, 4-16x56 sounds more like the ultra bright, is that what you meant? If so I didn’t know the ultra bright struggled so much with CA.

Sounds like Zeiss went all out with their entry into FFP long range scopes, hopefully Swaro, Leica and Blaser will follow suit. Been hoping and praying for the Blaser 4-20x58 to come out with effective Christmas tree reticle and full travel tactile turrets - with Minox being a sister company (to Blaser) it wouldn’t be too hard.

I kind of wish this Zeiss LRP was a 3.6-18x56, there’s just too much competition in the 50mm market in this mag range. ZCO 4-20, Schmidt 3-20 US, March 4.5-28 and Kahles 3.5-18 all deliver alpha class quality.

Curious to see how ILya’s upcoming review of 50mm scopes turns out and how this LRP stacks up.

Reactions: lash
Whoops. Yep, ultra bright.

Heh. Old brain ain’t what it used to be while posting from the road!

I think the CA is because of the extra light transmission… it wasn’t horrible, but I suspect it’s the trade off with having 96% transmission glass.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Man if those turrets dont work better than they look, somebody at zeiss HQ ... 🤡🤔

Time to test out Zeiss warranty

51795422278_14f515beeb_b.jpg
How does the zero set work? Any way to micro adjust alignment after loosening the set screws?

PS - I'm not a fan of tall turrets, but I do like how they printed their numbers with bold full mil values and thin 1/2 mil marks and 2nd rev numbering, just wish they would have shaved off half of the knurling up top.

How does the zero set work? Any way to micro adjust alignment after loosening the set screws?

PS - I'm not a fan of tall turrets, but I do like how they printed their numbers with bold full mil values and thin 1/2 mil marks and 2nd rev numbering, just wish they would have shaved off half of the knurling up top.
Negative, the cap rests into a machined channel exactly at 0 (that's what it feels like).

Aaaand the warranty department is observing a holiday schedule.

Attachments

• turddets.JPG
    turddets.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Negative, the cap rests into a machined channel exactly at 0 (that's what it feels like).

Aaaand the warranty department is observing a holiday schedule.
I see now, at 0 it is fine, but after moving it beyond zero it seems to be off. I'm assuming you just received the scope, you should contact the dealer and ask for an exchange, many Hide dealers give about 14 days to return, just a thought instead of going through Zeiss warranty.

Reactions: Nik H and lash
I see now, at 0 it is fine, but after moving it beyond zero it seems to be off. I'm assuming you just received the scope, you should contact the dealer and ask for an exchange, many Hide dealers give about 14 days to return, just a thought instead of going through Zeiss warranty.
I would be doing exactly that

Reactions: lash
I dunno of a single vendor that will let you return a scope once it's been mounted in rings* if they can tell 🤣

Good reason too check your zero alignment right away 😐

Do zeiss scopes caps just not allow fine correction? That would be annoying.

other than taking mine out of the box to take a look at it, haven't had a chance to use it. Looked to day, sure enough , lands smack dab in the middle of the marks to each side. I'll b giving tyler a holler later today

Unfortunately my windage turret has that problem sitting offset in the middle of the turret indication marks.

Gonna need to hit up Zeiss Sporting division to let them know someone is fucking up quality control.

Kyle brown says when you go
To zero it, you can line the marks up. You loosen the screws, pull the cap all the way up, then push the turret all the way down while turning it clockwise till you hit the stop. Then you should be able to line them up. Tighten the screws. You have to hold the turret while doing so. I received this after I sent the scope back.

Reactions: Secant
I really like mine. Taking it to the West Desert Sunday, will report back.
unnamed.jpg

DA41B3C9-2142-4FDE-BB30-82E544272E25.jpeg
4FB22B3D-3D2C-4B55-83C1-04A2AA671C83.jpeg
I really like mine. Taking it to the West Desert Sunday, will report back.View attachment 7778890
Edge clarity looks remarkable, what power is this at?

Zeiss rendition here has v good viewability out 6-7 mill off centre.

True the tiniest bit of color fringing, but this just belies the high IQ.

the overall rendition is excellent.

Looking forward to more real world testing. 👍

full power, telephone pole about 150 yards away. Photo is blurry a bit b/c it was hard to hold, center the phone while focusing and touching for the picture

Reactions: ma smith
I am unfamiliar with the ultra “clear”, 4-16x56 sounds more like the ultra bright, is that what you meant? If so I didn’t know the ultra bright struggled so much with CA.

Sounds like Zeiss went all out with their entry into FFP long range scopes, hopefully Swaro, Leica and Blaser will follow suit. Been hoping and praying for the Blaser 4-20x58 to come out with effective Christmas tree reticle and full travel tactile turrets - with Minox being a sister company (to Blaser) it wouldn’t be too hard.

I kind of wish this Zeiss LRP was a 3.6-18x56, there’s just too much competition in the 50mm market in this mag range. ZCO 4-20, Schmidt 3-20 US, March 4.5-28 and Kahles 3.5-18 all deliver alpha class quality.

Curious to see how ILya’s upcoming review of 50mm scopes turns out and how this LRP stacks up.
Also wondering when his (Ilya) review of this scope will be completed?!🤞🏻

In Hensoldt manual it says miss-alignment is normal and expected... So i guess for the amount of $$$ its not a deficency but a feature :)....

/sarcasm off

Can somebody explain to me why they use oddball Torx sizes and DIFFERENT ONES FOR WINDAGE AND ELEVATION (T6 and T8 respectively)?

The different sizes make no sense, and I didn't have T6 or T8 in my range bag the other day.

Can somebody explain to me why they use oddball Torx sizes and DIFFERENT ONES FOR WINDAGE AND ELEVATION (T6 and T8 respectively)?

The different sizes make no sense, and I didn't have T6 or T8 in my range bag the other day.
On the Zeiss???