Bartlein Barrels Update

AbitNutz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
The barrel I have on order, due the last of forever, has a very small gain twist in it, from 1 in 9 to 1 in 8. It's not much but I thought it would be interesting. It's a 300 Ultra Mag with a 5R rifling. I also specified their proprietary steel that is supposed to live longer than standard 416R.

Reactions: schmi015

AbitNutz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
Year ago and I do mean years ago when Pope was king of making barrels (Not THE Pope but Harry Pope). Gain twist was popular, even common. I think most of Colt's revolvers were all gain twist. Today, not so much but it may be coming back. The Smith & Wesson 460 XVR revolver has a crazy gain twist barrel, something like 1-200 down to 1-18...I think. I know that Bartlein offers gain twist, I believe Kreiger does now. Also, in the black powder world, Colerain offers a gain twist. There are probably many others but that's all that come to mind.
I went with a 5R gain twist 9 in 1 to 8 in 1 on the Bartlein I have on order. I Why? I've tried everything else under the sun and I'd like to try something new and Bartlein would never steer me wrong. It likely may not work any better than any other Bartlein or Kreiger barrel I have, which would mean they shoot fantastically, but it's something new to look at.

Reactions: BCX

AbitNutz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
Brad from Bartlein called me Wednesday to say the gunsmiths wanted me to send my action in. I ordered a barrel back in February so I was surprised to hear from them. I don't think I should assume that things will be any sooner than their original estimate of November. No matter, they will have my action, bolt, and muzzle brake sometime today.

I tried to send it UPS but UPS informed me that they no longer ship serial numbered gum parts. So Fedex has it. Nice of UPS to practice gun control. Lives will be saved by their decision.

Reactions: Texascbr

archangel485

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
WY
Brad from Bartlein called me Wednesday to say the gunsmiths wanted me to send my action in. I ordered a barrel back in February so I was surprised to hear from them. I don't think I should assume that things will be any sooner than their original estimate of November. No matter, they will have my action, bolt, and muzzle brake sometime today.

I tried to send it UPS but UPS informed me that they no longer ship serial numbered gum parts. So Fedex has it. Nice of UPS to practice gun control. Lives will be saved by their decision.
Did UPS as a company actually change their policy? This would be a pretty big change, but in today's climate not extremely surprising. That said, as far as I know they still ship firearms, so I'm thinking maybe you just talked to a local social justice warrior who refused to offer you service because they didn't like what you wanted to ship. Either that or the person was just completely ignorant? They do have some specific rules but as far as I know UPS still will ship firearms.

Reactions: rancher5

jinxx4ever

Just Cruising
Supporter
PX Member
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 26, 2013
    Nebraska

Wrong ! my wife works for ups. they still ship guns and gun parts

Reactions: rancher5

Cardboard Assassin

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 6, 2020
    Canada

Interesting and good to know.

I respect their decision, I hope they respect mine to never give them another dime of my money for having this position and would encourage others to do the same.

It may be a business decision due to new government rules (perhaps new rules have been implemented around serialized parts that make them more hassle than they are worth in their opinion) or it may be due to "Woke" culture but either way I will support those that continue to support the firearm industry.

hic28

The Legman
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 2, 2017
    Interesting and good to know.

I respect their decision, I hope they respect mine to never give them another dime of my money for having this position and would encourage others to do the same.

It may be a business decision due to new government rules (perhaps new rules have been implemented around serialized parts that make them more hassle than they are worth in their opinion) or it may be due to "Woke" culture but either way I will support those that continue to support the firearm industry.
    Ups still ships firearms and ammo with zero issues.

Did @AbitNutz go to a “UPS Store” or the ups hub?

“The ups store” are franchises with different policies than UPS. They have had no gun/Ammo policy for a long time, ups hub is where you go to ship your serialized part or ammo.

AbitNutz

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 19, 2021
    SW Ohio
    This was not a UPS satellite store. As far as I'm aware, they never would ship guns or even gun parts. I always went to the UPS main place...where all the brown trucks and semi's get loaded and unloaded. I was able to send my rifles and handguns from there no problem. This time, I was told that they stopped doing that several months ago. Can it be different from main hub to main hub?
    The one I went to was:
    UPS Customer Center
    209 S Alex Rd
    West Carrollton, OH 45449

Please don't tell me I'm wrong. I walked in the right place, not the toy store. They told me the rules changed a few months back. I had to send it Fedex. They took it from a Fedex storefront that was located in a shopping center. It was actually far more convenient. It was a copy center, package handling, etc. All Fedex places take firearms no questions asked. However, I prefer UPS. I've had issues with Fedex on deliveries. Never ever had any with UPS. Maybe the local UPS's can make their own rules...no idea. But they quit taking them here.

hic28

The Legman
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 2, 2017
    This was not a UPS satellite store. As far as I'm aware, they never would ship guns or even gun parts. I always went to the UPS main place...where all the brown trucks and semi's get loaded and unloaded. I was able to send my rifles and handguns from there no problem. This time, I was told that they stopped doing that several months ago. Can it be different from main hub to main hub?
    The one I went to was:
    UPS Customer Center
    209 S Alex Rd

Please don't tell me I'm wrong. I walked in the right place, not the toy store. They told me the rules changed a few months back. I had to send it Fedex. They took it from a Fedex storefront that was located in a shopping center. It was actually far more convenient. It was a copy center, package handling, etc. All Fedex places take firearms no questions asked. However, I prefer UPS. I've had issues with Fedex on deliveries. Never ever had any with UPS. Maybe the local UPS's can make their own rules...no idea. But they quit taking them here.
    Sounds like you got stuck with an asshole who personally didn’t like guns and wanted to make your life hard. Or that person was just retarded and didn’t understand the change in policy.

Ups did have a policy change beginning od this year regarding ORMD labels on packages shipping ammo.

That change has nothing to do with shipping firearms so it leads me to believe the person you dealt with is just a walking bag of dogshit

Sniperwannabee

CWO
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Changes every 4 years
    The one I went to was:
    UPS Customer Center
    209 S Alex Rd

you walked in on snowflake day

AbitNutz

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 19, 2021
    SW Ohio
    Ya know, I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what's said. I'll report back...There were three UPS guys there. One of them was the guy I had dealt with in the past but he didn't speak up when I was told it was a no-go.

Sniperwannabee

CWO
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Changes every 4 years
    Ya know, I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what's said. I'll report back...There were three UPS guys there. One of them was the guy I had dealt with in the past but he didn't speak up when I was told it was a no-go.
    like stated above, UPS customer care centers is the exact place you need to be... talk to their supervisors next time if they give you push back

Delta Echo

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 1, 2018
    The one I went to was:
    UPS Customer Center
    209 S Alex Rd

I would report this to corporate HQ.

Reactions: Bigrederic

CNC-Dude

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 30, 2020
    Sounds like you got stuck with an asshole who personally didn’t like guns and wanted to make your life hard. Or that person was just retarded and didn’t understand the change in policy.

Ups did have a policy change beginning od this year regarding ORMD labels on packages shipping ammo.

That change has nothing to do with shipping firearms so it leads me to believe the person you dealt with is just a walking bag of dogshit
    I've had guys ship me guns by UPS that simply mark the description as "Christmas Decorations" because when they see gun or gun parts they try to invent rules on the spot that dont exist or apply and it just starts an argument with an idiot that doesn't know what's really going on.

Reactions: hic28

Rob01

Super Mod
    Staff member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 9, 2001
    NC
    The one I went to was:
    UPS Customer Center
    209 S Alex Rd

I have shipped barreled actions in the past few months through UPS. No issues at all. Walk into UPS hub and send them out. Sounds like they made their own rules up.

hic28

The Legman
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 2, 2017
    I've had guys ship me guns by UPS that simply mark the description as "Christmas Decorations" because when they see gun or gun parts they try to invent rules on the spot that dont exist or apply and it just starts an argument with an idiot that doesn't know what's really going on.
    I always say they are “machined metal parts”

Reactions: CNC-Dude

hic28

The Legman
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 2, 2017
    That’s all well and good until they lose it and you try to get insurance to pay.
    Gun parts are technically machined metal parts. Never had an issue even when I’ve had barrels lost. Insurance paid

if it’s got a SN, it goes with FFl paperwork handed to the drone behind the counter and ive never had issues.

back to the barrel thread though, SPr just got a bunch in stock so I ordered 2 more lol

Rob01

Super Mod
    Staff member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 9, 2001
    NC
    You want to roll the dice on a technicality then have at it. You money. No need to do it. They ship anything just fine.

AbitNutz

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 19, 2021
    SW Ohio
    That’s all well and good until they lose it and you try to get insurance to pay.
    Exactly! Plus, when you insure something for two grand they want a description of what's in the box. Say I ship a handgun, call it machine parts. They lose it and then find it but need to open it to make an ID of the owner and contents...well, then the ATF might get involved. No thanks.

crwnking steve

Private
    Minuteman
    May 20, 2018
    Went throught this thread last monday, and I decided I better start looking for my barrel.
    Went to Bartlien website, went to stocking dealers got to Red Hawk Rifles and low and behold one left Bartlein 7mm carbon fiber 5R #13 26 inch lenght 1:8 barrel ordered that day UPS 2 day air showed up Wednesday I feel entitled Shout out to Red Hawk Rifles!

AbitNutz

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 19, 2021
    SW Ohio
    Went throught this thread last monday, and I decided I better start looking for my barrel.
    Went to Bartlien website, went to stocking dealers got to Red Hawk Rifles and low and behold one left Bartlein 7mm carbon fiber 5R #13 26 inch lenght 1:8 barrel ordered that day UPS 2 day air showed up Wednesday I feel entitled Shout out to Red Hawk Rifles!
    You must live right...me? Never that lucky. I would order the barrel and it would show up with a 180 degree U in it.

• Haha
    Reactions: BCX