• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein Barrels Update

The barrel I have on order, due the last of forever, has a very small gain twist in it, from 1 in 9 to 1 in 8. It's not much but I thought it would be interesting. It's a 300 Ultra Mag with a 5R rifling. I also specified their proprietary steel that is supposed to live longer than standard 416R.

Year ago and I do mean years ago when Pope was king of making barrels (Not THE Pope but Harry Pope). Gain twist was popular, even common. I think most of Colt's revolvers were all gain twist. Today, not so much but it may be coming back. The Smith & Wesson 460 XVR revolver has a crazy gain twist barrel, something like 1-200 down to 1-18...I think. I know that Bartlein offers gain twist, I believe Kreiger does now. Also, in the black powder world, Colerain offers a gain twist. There are probably many others but that's all that come to mind.
I went with a 5R gain twist 9 in 1 to 8 in 1 on the Bartlein I have on order. I Why? I've tried everything else under the sun and I'd like to try something new and Bartlein would never steer me wrong. It likely may not work any better than any other Bartlein or Kreiger barrel I have, which would mean they shoot fantastically, but it's something new to look at.

Reactions: BCX
Brad from Bartlein called me Wednesday to say the gunsmiths wanted me to send my action in. I ordered a barrel back in February so I was surprised to hear from them. I don't think I should assume that things will be any sooner than their original estimate of November. No matter, they will have my action, bolt, and muzzle brake sometime today.

I tried to send it UPS but UPS informed me that they no longer ship serial numbered gum parts. So Fedex has it. Nice of UPS to practice gun control. Lives will be saved by their decision.

Reactions: Texascbr
Brad from Bartlein called me Wednesday to say the gunsmiths wanted me to send my action in. I ordered a barrel back in February so I was surprised to hear from them. I don't think I should assume that things will be any sooner than their original estimate of November. No matter, they will have my action, bolt, and muzzle brake sometime today.

I tried to send it UPS but UPS informed me that they no longer ship serial numbered gum parts. So Fedex has it. Nice of UPS to practice gun control. Lives will be saved by their decision.
Did UPS as a company actually change their policy? This would be a pretty big change, but in today's climate not extremely surprising. That said, as far as I know they still ship firearms, so I'm thinking maybe you just talked to a local social justice warrior who refused to offer you service because they didn't like what you wanted to ship. Either that or the person was just completely ignorant? They do have some specific rules but as far as I know UPS still will ship firearms.

Reactions: rancher5

Wrong ! my wife works for ups. they still ship guns and gun parts

Interesting and good to know.

I respect their decision, I hope they respect mine to never give them another dime of my money for having this position and would encourage others to do the same.

It may be a business decision due to new government rules (perhaps new rules have been implemented around serialized parts that make them more hassle than they are worth in their opinion) or it may be due to "Woke" culture but either way I will support those that continue to support the firearm industry.

Interesting and good to know.

I respect their decision, I hope they respect mine to never give them another dime of my money for having this position and would encourage others to do the same.

It may be a business decision due to new government rules (perhaps new rules have been implemented around serialized parts that make them more hassle than they are worth in their opinion) or it may be due to "Woke" culture but either way I will support those that continue to support the firearm industry.
Ups still ships firearms and ammo with zero issues.

Did @AbitNutz go to a “UPS Store” or the ups hub?

“The ups store” are franchises with different policies than UPS. They have had no gun/Ammo policy for a long time, ups hub is where you go to ship your serialized part or ammo.

This was not a UPS satellite store. As far as I'm aware, they never would ship guns or even gun parts. I always went to the UPS main place...where all the brown trucks and semi's get loaded and unloaded. I was able to send my rifles and handguns from there no problem. This time, I was told that they stopped doing that several months ago. Can it be different from main hub to main hub?
The one I went to was:
UPS Customer Center
209 S Alex Rd
West Carrollton, OH 45449

Please don't tell me I'm wrong. I walked in the right place, not the toy store. They told me the rules changed a few months back. I had to send it Fedex. They took it from a Fedex storefront that was located in a shopping center. It was actually far more convenient. It was a copy center, package handling, etc. All Fedex places take firearms no questions asked. However, I prefer UPS. I've had issues with Fedex on deliveries. Never ever had any with UPS. Maybe the local UPS's can make their own rules...no idea. But they quit taking them here.

This was not a UPS satellite store. As far as I'm aware, they never would ship guns or even gun parts. I always went to the UPS main place...where all the brown trucks and semi's get loaded and unloaded. I was able to send my rifles and handguns from there no problem. This time, I was told that they stopped doing that several months ago. Can it be different from main hub to main hub?
The one I went to was:
UPS Customer Center
209 S Alex Rd

Please don't tell me I'm wrong. I walked in the right place, not the toy store. They told me the rules changed a few months back. I had to send it Fedex. They took it from a Fedex storefront that was located in a shopping center. It was actually far more convenient. It was a copy center, package handling, etc. All Fedex places take firearms no questions asked. However, I prefer UPS. I've had issues with Fedex on deliveries. Never ever had any with UPS. Maybe the local UPS's can make their own rules...no idea. But they quit taking them here.
Sounds like you got stuck with an asshole who personally didn’t like guns and wanted to make your life hard. Or that person was just retarded and didn’t understand the change in policy.

Ups did have a policy change beginning od this year regarding ORMD labels on packages shipping ammo.

That change has nothing to do with shipping firearms so it leads me to believe the person you dealt with is just a walking bag of dogshit

The one I went to was:
UPS Customer Center
209 S Alex Rd

you walked in on snowflake day

Ya know, I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what's said. I'll report back...There were three UPS guys there. One of them was the guy I had dealt with in the past but he didn't speak up when I was told it was a no-go.

Reactions: Bd1
Ya know, I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what's said. I'll report back...There were three UPS guys there. One of them was the guy I had dealt with in the past but he didn't speak up when I was told it was a no-go.
like stated above, UPS customer care centers is the exact place you need to be... talk to their supervisors next time if they give you push back

The one I went to was:
UPS Customer Center
209 S Alex Rd

I would report this to corporate HQ.

Sounds like you got stuck with an asshole who personally didn’t like guns and wanted to make your life hard. Or that person was just retarded and didn’t understand the change in policy.

Ups did have a policy change beginning od this year regarding ORMD labels on packages shipping ammo.

That change has nothing to do with shipping firearms so it leads me to believe the person you dealt with is just a walking bag of dogshit
I've had guys ship me guns by UPS that simply mark the description as "Christmas Decorations" because when they see gun or gun parts they try to invent rules on the spot that dont exist or apply and it just starts an argument with an idiot that doesn't know what's really going on.

Reactions: stefan73 and hic28
The one I went to was:
UPS Customer Center
209 S Alex Rd

I have shipped barreled actions in the past few months through UPS. No issues at all. Walk into UPS hub and send them out. Sounds like they made their own rules up.

I've had guys ship me guns by UPS that simply mark the description as "Christmas Decorations" because when they see gun or gun parts they try to invent rules on the spot that dont exist or apply and it just starts an argument with an idiot that doesn't know what's really going on.
I always say they are “machined metal parts”

That’s all well and good until they lose it and you try to get insurance to pay.
Gun parts are technically machined metal parts. Never had an issue even when I’ve had barrels lost. Insurance paid

if it’s got a SN, it goes with FFl paperwork handed to the drone behind the counter and ive never had issues.

back to the barrel thread though, SPr just got a bunch in stock so I ordered 2 more lol

You want to roll the dice on a technicality then have at it. You money. No need to do it. They ship anything just fine.

That’s all well and good until they lose it and you try to get insurance to pay.
Exactly! Plus, when you insure something for two grand they want a description of what's in the box. Say I ship a handgun, call it machine parts. They lose it and then find it but need to open it to make an ID of the owner and contents...well, then the ATF might get involved. No thanks.

Went throught this thread last monday, and I decided I better start looking for my barrel.
Went to Bartlien website, went to stocking dealers got to Red Hawk Rifles and low and behold one left Bartlein 7mm carbon fiber 5R #13 26 inch lenght 1:8 barrel ordered that day UPS 2 day air showed up Wednesday I feel entitled Shout out to Red Hawk Rifles!

Reactions: TheChief
Went throught this thread last monday, and I decided I better start looking for my barrel.
Went to Bartlien website, went to stocking dealers got to Red Hawk Rifles and low and behold one left Bartlein 7mm carbon fiber 5R #13 26 inch lenght 1:8 barrel ordered that day UPS 2 day air showed up Wednesday I feel entitled Shout out to Red Hawk Rifles!
You must live right...me? Never that lucky. I would order the barrel and it would show up with a 180 degree U in it.

Taking delivery on two MOD BB's Friday. Looking forward to reamer arrival first of May. Hopefully have some experience with the new metal by mid summer

Pic of the BB stamps. To keep track, the BB designation on the finished barrels is probably a good idea.
IMG_1850.jpeg

Gonna post this here because the bolt gun forum gets the most views. Dear Forum Moderator, If you need to move this post to another forum that is more appropriate please do so.

I/We post on SH quite a bit. So I figured I should make a post about this.

Just want to be up front and honest with everyone here. We are telling customers the same thing on the phone.

Depending on what you are ordering and when you order it....lead times can be as long as 10-12 months right now.

Some guys (not necessarily anyone from the Hide) when we've told them this they have gone off on us on the phone about it. So we are taking a beating at times but I want everyone to understand that we are all in this boat together. Ammunition and bullet makers etc...are backed up, gun manufacturers are backed up, action makers, stock makers and scope manufacturers.

I won't name the ammo maker but we have had some ammo on order since May of 2020 and I cannot get a delivery date/time frame. We're not mad at them....it is what it is.

We've been helping out individual customers to manufacturers to ammo makers etc...when they/you have an emergency that won't change. We do what we can / when we can.

I know of other barrel makers lead times are out pretty far as well. So it's not just us.

I'm also asking and I will use this as an example...a guy wins a barrel gift certificate at a match. Calls in to redeem the certificate and order the barrel. He was told 10 months. He went off on my office guy about it and demanded the barrel should be done next month. So don't put anyone in front of the firing squad for this. Free or not....we are doing what we can to take care of everyone in a timely fashion.

I don't care what you are buying and from whom....barrels, scopes, ammo etc....guys please do your best to plan ahead and plan for the worst case scenario. If you burn up 4 barrels a year in matches and only have one brand new spare left....get it on order. Regardless of where you get it from. If your planning on building a new rifle right now and already have the stock and action and barrel on order and will need a scope for it.... don't wait...get the scope on order as well.

I don't for see things getting any better anytime soon for any of us. Like I said, "We're all in the same boat!"

Pretty much the whole shop here is working 55 to 60+ hours a week. This next pay period....just between 3 guys in the shop they have a 153 hours of overtime alone! That's in a two week period and that isn't a typo!

I've also been asked and will put it out here as well..."Are we o.k. on steel?" The answer is yes! No steel shortages. We have orders scheduled into 2022 already. Nothing is holding us up from making barrels. Just not enough hours in the week!

Any questions please feel free to call. If you post a question here I'll answer it the best I can and as quick as I can but keep in mind...I don't log in everyday.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Great info and thanks for being up front. Ordering soon for next barrel unless I can find a blank from a dealer.

Good to know. I got lucky, I had a rifle built three months ago and just happened to find the exact Bartlein barrel I wanted in stock at Red Hawk rifles. 24" 1'8" twist 5R 7mm barrel. It's now fitted to a Gunwerks GRB action in 280AI.

Our phones and internet have been on and off all day! Our service providers are trying to figure it out!

For a solid hour plus this morning we had nothing. Currently no phones again but internet is working.

So thru back channels we we're told ..... hey are you guys there? No one is answering the phones!

Yes we are here!

Later, Frank

Reactions: stefan73
Our phones and internet have been on and off all day! Our service providers are trying to figure it out!

For a solid hour plus this morning we had nothing. Currently no phones again but internet is working.

So thru back channels we we're told ..... hey are you guys there? No one is answering the phones!

Yes we are here!

Later, Frank
Frank,
Barrel making is an age-old art, spanning centuries. Light a couple of candles and start practicing your penmanship. A few handwritten notes would add a nice touch.

That explains why i couldnt order a barrel this morning. Guess ill try again tomorrow. Good luck with getting it back up. I hate tech sometimes.

Yeah. I needed a kitchen stove and it was a month back ordered. Not just one model, but all of them.
There are home manufacturers in my State who can’t deliver finished homes due to appliance shortages, and that was already a thing pre-Kung Flu.

When we sold our last house, the buyers asked multiple times if they could have our fridge, to which we declined.

The other thing with expanding the business.....

People/workers. Thanks to pandemic and the Gov't extending unemployment benefits and increasing how much they can get isn't helping anything either at times. Please don't take it wrong as I do know of people that truly need the help!

Here is what we are seeing as well as other manufacturers. Why should a person who is laid off and getting an increase in money as well as extending how long they can get the money....if they are basically getting they're paycheck what incentive is it for them to go out and look for a job.

Our daughters boyfriend (whom we have serious issues with) is a classic example. Got fired/laid (don't thing we are getting the whole story) off last November. We've been all over him to go get a job. I even offered a job to him here at work. All he kept saying was I'll be getting unemployment and they are passing another stimulus package. I'm good! So he actually did get a job (worked exactly 1 day and quit) because the next day he got his first unemployment check for $4k and is now getting what was equivalent to his paycheck. Supposedly the unemployment person at the agency told him not to go back to work and he should go back to school!

Not getting people back to work is messing up the whole manufacturing and any place that needs workers. Letting people get a free ride that are able to work and truly don't need the help is hurting everyone!

Every where around here and other parts of the country I see help wanted signs up. Everyone is struggling to hire people. I hear the same thing from other companies regardless of the company/type of industry they are in.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Literally every business I have patronized over the past 5 months has "help wanted" or "now hiring” signs, and this is the most labor-rich market in the US since people still have large families here, who speak English as their first language and graduate HS and College at high levels compared to National statistics.

I stopped at a Denny’s with my youngest son on the way to a campout last week. They had to bring in a manager from Las Vegas, while the 16-18yr-old girl receiving, taking orders, and checking people out was also busting tables and doing dishes.

It’s as if someone who really wanted to put their hand on the scales of US economic growth leaned really hard into it with these stupid pay-outs.

You don’t know how bad we wanted to burn that certificate!

OK we wouldn’t have done that....but it doesn’t matter if it’s a paying customer or one that won a gift certificate. It’s happened in the past a few other times (the vast majority of the times it’s a non issue/doesn’t come up) where busy or not....the guy asks, “well why can’t I get it right away?” Ummm...because there are 4K customers in front of you that had a barrel on order either by payment or gift certificate!

Thinking about it more and more...is it also because that everything is in short supply everyone is stressed about things? I can say possibly/yes but want everyone to know we’re all in this.

Thanks everyone!!!!
iu

This is the one thing thats the hardest to get more of Time second is Qualified staff everyone i know has those two problems and its only getting worse on the bright side profits are up

Reactions: Stoweit
This is the one thing thats the hardest to get more of. Time. Second is Qualified staff. Everyone i know has those two problems and its only getting worse. On the bright side, profits are up.
FIFY. Please use some punctuation. Makes things easier to read.

Hi ,

I think the new 400 SuperStainless barrels , would be a perfect match for prefit barrels for Accuracy International rifles , went to Bartlein's website , and could not see any info on AI prefits ?

They would be my dream barrel on any AI , But particularly the AXSR or AXMC .

Cheers Chris

Hi ,

I think the new 400 SuperStainless barrels , would be a perfect match for prefit barrels for Accuracy International rifles , went to Bartlein's website , and could not see any info on AI prefits ?

They would be my dream barrel on any AI , But particularly the AXSR or AXMC .

Cheers Chris
@DAVETOOLEY is spinning one up for my AXMC

Reactions: Frank Green
Its one thing to voice frustration about the current state of things, but to actually give one of your guys a hard time and display that level of entitlement, they should be posted on a wall for the community to see and their cert voided on the spot.

Thank you for supporting the sport Frank, and the people at Bartlein Barrels.

Somehow I missed this thread earlier.

Of course none of this is good news. But what it is is great customer service.

First a real shout out to Frank Green for great communications. It is always fantastic to see how so many of the tier 1 suppliers and makers come here to snipers hide to communicate with their customer base.

Like a lot of folks, I am waiting for a barrel that’s going to TacomHQ for the structured Barrel project. This really helps me to understand where things are. And why Patience is a virtue. Both companies have been awesome their communications.

Something I remind people about a lot is that I may WANT an awesome structured barrel ELR rifle. But I don’t need one. That gives me the luxury of time. I can wait until the cows come home!

And isn’t anticipation part of the fun? Thanks all!

Sirhr

Being as this thread is still going on and everyone making comments (all great by the way and Thanks for that!). I'll try and give a update as to where we are at right now the best we can.

Again if it hasn't been mentioned before...we don't have any steel supply issues. I get asked that question about a half a dozen times a month. Yes there are steel supply issues not just in the gun industry but everywhere. I'm way ahead of the game on our steel needs and have stuff scheduled from the mill into next year and we always keep extra material on hand to boot.

I know of a couple of new gun makers/barrel makers trying to get into the gun industry and cannot get steel until 2nd quarter of next year sometime. This was just conveyed to me about 4-6 weeks ago. I also know of the mills getting orders for steel and don't have anymore capacity for this year.

Material costs have been going up everywhere. I know you all have heard about ammo makers/bullet makers raising costs because of it and or things bullet wise are hard to get because raw material needs are in a pinch for them as well. I have heard of steel costs going up on for gun barrels as well. Just within the last month there was a 15% surcharge on some of the steel alloys like nickel etc....those surcharges don't get added until the steel is shipping from the mill because those alloys are traded on the stock market.....they get that pricing added to the overall material costs as of that day. So far we haven't been effected a ton. We are going to get hit with a slight price increase on our next shipment though...I was told that yesterday. I don't think it's going to effect us really at all at this time but I do know of other places getting hit pretty hard with material costs though.

Also the steel trade tariff's.....Trump did us a pretty big favor when he was in office by getting some of the tariff's off that his predecessor had put on. That helped hold the line somewhat to some extent and I was just told yesterday as well that the Biden administration was considering on reinstating those tariff's....and as of right now it's not going to happen but if it does...I'm told to expect another 25% increase in material costs. So keep your fingers crossed that does not happen.

So if you we're not ahead of the game on your steel needs.....you can be a bind one way or another.

Again for us we have machine time....just not enough people time per say.

I want to say for the last couple of months we on one hand did make progress on our backlog but...and this is a big but....the orders are still coming in and when we feel we're making some progress we get hit from somewhere else.

All of our customers are important!!!! For now I'll put things into 6 categories and in no particular order..... Our customers who buy the one or few barrels here and there, ammunition test barrel orders, overseas customers, customers who build guns and stock components like actions, stocks and barrels etc....and for gun manufacturers that we do special runs for.....for either prototypes and R&D projects and for when they need hi quality barrels for guns that need to meet a specific accuracy requirement where the factory barrels cannot meet the spec. they come to us as well. Last but not least for our armed forces.

So where we might see one category of buyers easing up...but the weight just seems to shift to one of the others. So overall I don't see things backing off at all. If I had to put a guess on it right now....I'll say things if they do start easing up....it will be into middle of next year some time but that is only a guess on my part. Everyone I talk to in the industry...ammo makers, bullet makers, gun makers etc...everyone is not seeing anything getting better here short term. So guys try to be patient with the people in the powder industry, bullet makers, custom gun makers, the scope people, the stock makers etc....and your friendly neighborhood barrel maker! I mean no offense if I left anyone out at all!

So again best I can say is....plan ahead the best you can.

Later, Frank

Being as this thread is still going on and everyone making comments (all great by the way and Thanks for that!). I'll try and give a update as to where we are at right now the best we can.

Again if it hasn't been mentioned before...we don't have any steel supply issues. I get asked that question about a half a dozen times a month. Yes there are steel supply issues not just in the gun industry but everywhere. I'm way ahead of the game on our steel needs and have stuff scheduled from the mill into next year and we always keep extra material on hand to boot.

I know of a couple of new gun makers/barrel makers trying to get into the gun industry and cannot get steel until 2nd quarter of next year sometime. This was just conveyed to me about 4-6 weeks ago. I also know of the mills getting orders for steel and don't have anymore capacity for this year.

Material costs have been going up everywhere. I know you all have heard about ammo makers/bullet makers raising costs because of it and or things bullet wise are hard to get because raw material needs are in a pinch for them as well. I have heard of steel costs going up on for gun barrels as well. Just within the last month there was a 15% surcharge on some of the steel alloys like nickel etc....those surcharges don't get added until the steel is shipping from the mill because those alloys are traded on the stock market.....they get that pricing added to the overall material costs as of that day. So far we haven't been effected a ton. We are going to get hit with a slight price increase on our next shipment though...I was told that yesterday. I don't think it's going to effect us really at all at this time but I do know of other places getting hit pretty hard with material costs though.

Also the steel trade tariff's.....Trump did us a pretty big favor when he was in office by getting some of the tariff's off that his predecessor had put on. That helped hold the line somewhat to some extent and I was just told yesterday as well that the Biden administration was considering on reinstating those tariff's....and as of right now it's not going to happen but if it does...I'm told to expect another 25% increase in material costs. So keep your fingers crossed that does not happen.

So if you we're not ahead of the game on your steel needs.....you can be a bind one way or another.

Again for us we have machine time....just not enough people time per say.

I want to say for the last couple of months we on one hand did make progress on our backlog but...and this is a big but....the orders are still coming in and when we feel we're making some progress we get hit from somewhere else.

All of our customers are important!!!! For now I'll put things into 6 categories and in no particular order..... Our customers who buy the one or few barrels here and there, ammunition test barrel orders, overseas customers, customers who build guns and stock components like actions, stocks and barrels etc....and for gun manufacturers that we do special runs for.....for either prototypes and R&D projects and for when they need hi quality barrels for guns that need to meet a specific accuracy requirement where the factory barrels cannot meet the spec. they come to us as well. Last but not least for our armed forces.

So where we might see one category of buyers easing up...but the weight just seems to shift to one of the others. So overall I don't see things backing off at all. If I had to put a guess on it right now....I'll say things if they do start easing up....it will be into middle of next year some time but that is only a guess on my part. Everyone I talk to in the industry...ammo makers, bullet makers, gun makers etc...everyone is not seeing anything getting better here short term. So guys try to be patient with the people in the powder industry, bullet makers, custom gun makers, the scope people, the stock makers etc....and your friendly neighborhood barrel maker! I mean no offense if I left anyone out at all!

So again best I can say is....plan ahead the best you can.

Later, Frank
So your saying I should order a dozen barrels To get me through the next couple years. I just love Biden. He truly loves America.