• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein Barrels Update

We have another new lathe on order but it's replacing a old lathe.

We talked about building another rifling machine but.....approx. 4ish months to get it on line....then can we justify $XXXXXX amount of dollars and can we predict where the industry is going to be in a say 2 years time? How much will work will be there....not to mention if we could find someone to hire etc....I'd hate to have us hire the guy and a year later or two we lay the guy off.

Not always as easy as it sounds.

Later, Frank
There’s certainly worse positions to be in than having 12 months of backlog. My business typically has been about 2-3 months worth of backlog over the last 3-4 years, but we are triple that right now. The whole world has gone nuts!

Reactions: Frank Green
Our oldest wants to get in to gunsmithing. Plans on joining the Marines after high school first then go from there. Maybe you and your guys could teach him in a few years.

We talked about building another rifling machine but.....approx. 4ish months to get it on line....then can we justify $XXXXXX amount of dollars and can we predict where the industry is going to be in a say 2 years time? How much will work will be there....not to mention if we could find someone to hire etc....I'd hate to have us hire the guy and a year later or two we lay the guy off.

Later, Frank
I always tell people, being a owner

...heavy is the crown...

Our oldest wants to get in to gunsmithing. Plans on joining the Marines after high school first then go from there. Maybe you and your guys could teach him in a few years.
Also as a thought....if going into the Marines he could transfer over to the PWS (precision weapon shops) where those gunsmiths work on the M40's etc...he could be in the Marines and work on guns!

Reactions: hseII

Later, Frank
What? You mean you don't just snap your fingers and have a guy churning out 8-10 barrels a day!!!??? :eek::ROFLMAO:

Think about it .... 153 hrs of OT for 3 guys means average 51hr per person. If those guys are working 1 extra day per week, then they are working 6x10hr days plus change each week. And I would imagine that you haven't hired more guys because:
- It takes a few weeks to train them
- you don't have the machines to put them on and it takes YEARS to get a rifling machine ordered, made and installed
- Good machinists aren't waiting on the corner for the next job to come up

I get it. It's taking me 4-6 months to advertise and hire for skilled labor for my maintenance crews.

Keep putting out the great product you do and good customers will wait patiently. Those who feel entitled and won't, can get on down the road.
WELL IF IT TAKES TIME TO TRAIN AND WE ARE 10-14 MONTHS OUT HIRE SOME OF THOSE PIPE LINE FOLKS THEY NEED GOOD PAYING JOBS. THERE ARE GOING TO BE MILLIONS OF MORE SHOOTER OUT THERE AND SEEMS YOUR GOING TO BE BUSY FOR QUITE A LONG TIME.

Ummm, yeah. And the cash for investment to buy new machines? And the floor space or cost of moving to a bigger facility? And the rent on that bigger building? And getting the raw materials?

What Frank is telling us is it's just NOT that simple. If only it was.

WELL IF IT TAKES TIME TO TRAIN AND WE ARE 10-14 MONTHS OUT HIRE SOME OF THOSE PIPE LINE FOLKS THEY NEED GOOD PAYING JOBS. THERE ARE GOING TO BE MILLIONS OF MORE SHOOTER OUT THERE AND SEEMS YOUR GOING TO BE BUSY FOR QUITE A LONG TIME.
You should start up a barrel company, "ALL CAPS BARRELS". Put me down for one when you get manufacturing spun up.

Then he needs to make sure he is in the right pipeline for MOS 2112

Also as a thought....if going into the Marines he could transfer over to the PWS (precision weapon shops) where those gunsmiths work on the M40's etc...he could be in the Marines and work on guns!
Didn't even know that was an option, that's very good to know. I will let him know about that. Thanks. My wife and I are AF so know little about USMC MOS'

2112 would be an awesome MOS to have
Those guys may be jobless or severely under worked with the new weapon systems coming online.

Maybe they will go the way of the AMU and just be a shooting team/build comp guns.

Would not be suprised if the Corps gets rid of that MOS in the years to come.

Reactions: Defender3
Those guys may be jobless or severely under worked with the new weapon systems coming online.

Maybe they will go the way of the AMU and just be a shooting team/build comp guns.

Would not be suprised if the Corps gets rid of that MOS in the years to come.
They may get rid of the MOS in the years to come since they're fielding the MRAD but as least in the time being if he can get there he can learn a valuable skill set.

Didn't even know that was an option, that's very good to know. I will let him know about that. Thanks. My wife and I are AF so know little about USMC MOS'

The AF has or had a very small one as well. I think it was at Lackland and they used it to build rifles for service rifle comps and bullseye pistol.

...having just read thru this whole thread, I couldn't help but feel gratified at Mr. Frank and Mr. Brady's posts explaining their dilemma, BUT NOT TRYING to downplay the difficulties they (like everyone else) are confronted with. My sincerest kudos to Bartlein barrels for their exemplary work ethic and service to their customer base and those hoping to become customers. As much as I'd love to have a barrel from them, it would be a dishonor to the product they produce to put one in my shaky and less than capable and remedial hands. You Sirs, despite political shenanigan's occurring, are examples of why American Industry remains hopeful, keep up the good work and may your fortunes continue.

Gonna post this here because the bolt gun forum gets the most views. Dear Forum Moderator, If you need to move this post to another forum that is more appropriate please do so.

I/We post on SH quite a bit. So I figured I should make a post about this.

Just want to be up front and honest with everyone here. We are telling customers the same thing on the phone.

Depending on what you are ordering and when you order it....lead times can be as long as 10-12 months right now.

Some guys (not necessarily anyone from the Hide) when we've told them this they have gone off on us on the phone about it. So we are taking a beating at times but I want everyone to understand that we are all in this boat together. Ammunition and bullet makers etc...are backed up, gun manufacturers are backed up, action makers, stock makers and scope manufacturers.

I won't name the ammo maker but we have had some ammo on order since May of 2020 and I cannot get a delivery date/time frame. We're not mad at them....it is what it is.

We've been helping out individual customers to manufacturers to ammo makers etc...when they/you have an emergency that won't change. We do what we can / when we can.

I know of other barrel makers lead times are out pretty far as well. So it's not just us.

I'm also asking and I will use this as an example...a guy wins a barrel gift certificate at a match. Calls in to redeem the certificate and order the barrel. He was told 10 months. He went off on my office guy about it and demanded the barrel should be done next month. So don't put anyone in front of the firing squad for this. Free or not....we are doing what we can to take care of everyone in a timely fashion.

I don't care what you are buying and from whom....barrels, scopes, ammo etc....guys please do your best to plan ahead and plan for the worst case scenario. If you burn up 4 barrels a year in matches and only have one brand new spare left....get it on order. Regardless of where you get it from. If your planning on building a new rifle right now and already have the stock and action and barrel on order and will need a scope for it.... don't wait...get the scope on order as well.

I don't for see things getting any better anytime soon for any of us. Like I said, "We're all in the same boat!"

Pretty much the whole shop here is working 55 to 60+ hours a week. This next pay period....just between 3 guys in the shop they have a 153 hours of overtime alone! That's in a two week period and that isn't a typo!

I've also been asked and will put it out here as well..."Are we o.k. on steel?" The answer is yes! No steel shortages. We have orders scheduled into 2022 already. Nothing is holding us up from making barrels. Just not enough hours in the week!

Any questions please feel free to call. If you post a question here I'll answer it the best I can and as quick as I can but keep in mind...I don't log in everyday.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Appreciate the advice. I am in OZ and ordered another Bartlein 6.5 30" in Light Varmint 12 months ago when my previous Bartlein was replaced. Unfortunately my smith had not heard on the status other than advising me that it is still on order. I wish you all the best and hope that all things get back to normal and that businesses catch up on their backlogs and normal shooters can get on with what they enjoy. Being so far away I appreciate your advice. Have a great day everyone.

Appreciate the advice. I am in OZ and ordered another Bartlein 6.5 30" in Light Varmint 12 months ago when my previous Bartlein was replaced. Unfortunately my smith had not heard on the status other than advising me that it is still on order. I wish you all the best and hope that all things get back to normal and that businesses catch up on their backlogs and normal shooters can get on with what they enjoy. Being so far away I appreciate your advice. Have a great day everyone.
I do believe you ordered it thru Craig McGowan for you? I'm not sure when Craig ordered your barrel. I don't get customers names at all. He has two batches of orders in. The next shipment for Craig I believe is scheduled for end of this month. His next one I believe is scheduled for May.

Any questions send me an email. Thanks for using our sticks!

Later, Frank

By the way, as I posted in another thread, there are Bartlein barrels in stock if you look. You won't have a custom twist or profile, but if you want a 6.5mm 1:8 Medium or Heavy Palma, they have it:

The AF has or had a very small one as well. I think it was at Lackland and they used it to build rifles for service rifle comps and bullseye pistol.
They still do. Not sure what they do exactly but I know there is one.

I guess I got super lucky! I just ordered a 28" 1:10 5R #13 carbon wrapped Sendero .30 Cal. it was in stock and will be on the way this week.
Yep sometimes it's the luck of the draw and what you want/looking for.

Or a order got cancelled/changed and we had an extra blank that is just sitting there. Usually not...if it's an extra we will go thru the orders and put it on the next oldest order we have that we can fill to get it done.

Or sometimes....we get an order for a couple hundred barrels say for the military etc....we will always run a couple of extras. That way if we lose one during the process...we are not setting up to make one piece to complete the order.

Sometimes it's also timing....guy wants a 458cal barrel.....if he places the order today....and we've got some ammunition test barrels that are due in say 6 weeks....we will do what we can to get those straggler orders all run at the same time. Now if we just ran them two weeks ago....then it could be a while.

Like I said, "sometimes it's just a timing thing!"

Not trying to be wise, just curious. With all of the pent up demand, a forecast of back order for the future, and paying a ton of OT... Would it make sense to bring on more Full Time help? Would think that would help you get through back orders as well as allow you to take on new customers with less lag. Obviously not taking into account supply issues and any other issues that make keeping up difficult.

Thanks for message. Best to you guys.

Not trying to be wise, just curious. With all of the pent up demand, a forecast of back order for the future, and paying a ton of OT... Would it make sense to bring on more Full Time help? Would think that would help you get through back orders as well as allow you to take on new customers with less lag. Obviously not taking into account supply issues and any other issues that make keeping up difficult.

Thanks for message. Best to you guys.
Read all of the posts in the thread. You will get your answer.

By the way, as I posted in another thread, there are Bartlein barrels in stock if you look. You won't have a custom twist or profile, but if you want a 6.5mm 1:8 Medium or Heavy Palma, they have it:
@Frank Green I noticed these 6.5mm barrel blanks are in 26inch finishes, does that mean after chambering, 25inch is the maximum length I can get? I normally see 27inch or 29inch blank.

Thanks.

@Frank Green I noticed these 6.5mm barrel blanks are in 26inch finishes, does that mean after chambering, 25inch is the maximum length I can get? I normally see 27inch or 29inch blank.

Thanks.
26" finish means a 27" blank. We always give +1" on the blank length to cut and crown and bring it to the finish length. Now if you wanted it to finish at 24"....just cut another couple of more inches off.

Make sense?

Reactions: thexman
Gonna post this here because the bolt gun forum gets the most views. Dear Forum Moderator, If you need to move this post to another forum that is more appropriate please do so.

I/We post on SH quite a bit. So I figured I should make a post about this.

Just want to be up front and honest with everyone here. We are telling customers the same thing on the phone.

Depending on what you are ordering and when you order it....lead times can be as long as 10-12 months right now.

Some guys (not necessarily anyone from the Hide) when we've told them this they have gone off on us on the phone about it. So we are taking a beating at times but I want everyone to understand that we are all in this boat together. Ammunition and bullet makers etc...are backed up, gun manufacturers are backed up, action makers, stock makers and scope manufacturers.

I won't name the ammo maker but we have had some ammo on order since May of 2020 and I cannot get a delivery date/time frame. We're not mad at them....it is what it is.

We've been helping out individual customers to manufacturers to ammo makers etc...when they/you have an emergency that won't change. We do what we can / when we can.

I know of other barrel makers lead times are out pretty far as well. So it's not just us.

I'm also asking and I will use this as an example...a guy wins a barrel gift certificate at a match. Calls in to redeem the certificate and order the barrel. He was told 10 months. He went off on my office guy about it and demanded the barrel should be done next month. So don't put anyone in front of the firing squad for this. Free or not....we are doing what we can to take care of everyone in a timely fashion.

I don't care what you are buying and from whom....barrels, scopes, ammo etc....guys please do your best to plan ahead and plan for the worst case scenario. If you burn up 4 barrels a year in matches and only have one brand new spare left....get it on order. Regardless of where you get it from. If your planning on building a new rifle right now and already have the stock and action and barrel on order and will need a scope for it.... don't wait...get the scope on order as well.

I don't for see things getting any better anytime soon for any of us. Like I said, "We're all in the same boat!"

Pretty much the whole shop here is working 55 to 60+ hours a week. This next pay period....just between 3 guys in the shop they have a 153 hours of overtime alone! That's in a two week period and that isn't a typo!

I've also been asked and will put it out here as well..."Are we o.k. on steel?" The answer is yes! No steel shortages. We have orders scheduled into 2022 already. Nothing is holding us up from making barrels. Just not enough hours in the week!

Any questions please feel free to call. If you post a question here I'll answer it the best I can and as quick as I can but keep in mind...I don't log in everyday.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Thank you Frank. I am a repeat Bartlein customer. 3 years ago You gave me great advice on my 6.5 build. Now my new project is a 25-06 Build. I ordered a Bartlein barrel 2 months ago from Mark. He told me June / July 2021 it will ship. I was surprised but glad it would get done. Now a days I often hear “ no we are out” . In fact I can’t find 25-06 ammunition ANYWHERE for my 1/8 twist barrel except custom loaded and this order won’t be ready until June of 2021 and that route is $$$. All of this is frustrating. I anticipate the market loosening up in about 2 years but also believe the Dems will make it difficult to impossible for gun owners. Here in NY state We are in the fight of our lives. the heavily controlled democratic State Assembly wants to make a law that prevents firearm owners from working on their firearm and or ANY form of internet purchases for firearms , supplies etc. You would have to use an FFL for work, upgraded etc., anything but cleaning supplies. You would not be allowed to work-repair & or customize- upgrade your own gun in any capacity. That is correct - a gun owner would not be allowed to order a barrel from you directly, and or parts like a new stock, trigger up-grades, sights even mounting a new scope etc.,can only be done by a gunsmith - FFL.
Frank, you are right we are all in the same boat. Covid will go away but the anti- crowd will not disappear. 👍

Last edited:
I build (3) rifles in September and shoot (3) deer in October.
I heard there was a shortage.
I ordered from Grizzly.
My Bartleins arrived two days ago.
(1) T10743 #3 FLUTED BARREL / 7MM 5R 1:9 26" FIN
(1) T28055 6.5MM/.264 5R 1:7.5, 26" FIN, #3 BARREL
(1) T10885 #2B BARREL/.257 5R 1:10 TWIST, 26" FIN

Keep up the good work Frank and Brady! Keep the quality, increase production when and where you can, and you'll be just fine. Id rather see long lead times andhigh quality vs. short lead times and junk going out the door or going bankrupt in 4 years because you overborrowed to ramp up capability and the market tanked.

You guys do a great job of supporting us and the shooting sports. I'm about to try out my first Bartlein setup in 2 weeks at a midrange match. I doubt I'll be disappointed.

What kind of asshole gets pissed and yells at your guys for giving them an estimated date on a barrel he is getting for free?

I’m gonna take a wild guess that those 153 hours of OT aren’t because your guys are drilling themselves in the bathroom.
I am guessing his name is Richard Noggen AKA Dick Head

I build (3) rifles in September and shoot (3) deer in October.
I heard there was a shortage.
I ordered from Grizzly.
My Bartleins arrived two days ago.
(1) T10743 #3 FLUTED BARREL / 7MM 5R 1:9 26" FIN
(1) T28055 6.5MM/.264 5R 1:7.5, 26" FIN, #3 BARREL
(1) T10885 #2B BARREL/.257 5R 1:10 TWIST, 26" FIN
I just ordered a new bartline through southern precision was told probably won’t see it until June or July is what it is but I don’t need it now my gun is shooting pretty good. These where shot at 200 yds

Attachments

• 750478C8-4972-4C84-9E34-E92293E7C7DA.jpeg
    750478C8-4972-4C84-9E34-E92293E7C7DA.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 93
  • 11DD102A-7C0A-4B9D-AB4A-FD18EB702E35.jpeg
    11DD102A-7C0A-4B9D-AB4A-FD18EB702E35.jpeg
    530.8 KB · Views: 101
Just got my CF barrel, spun up by Keystone Accuracy, it was well worth the wait

Attachments

• 20210227_225635.jpg
    20210227_225635.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 98
I luckily got my CF barrel order in just in time (I received it at the beginning of January). They look great out of the box. But if you're into all black, they look awesome with armor black cerakote. Guess I should also give a shout out to Straight Jacket Armory for the quality work (tenon, chamber, muzzle and cerakote done by them).
IMG_0106.png

Ordered a couple barrels thru Adam @ Mile high back in October. I’m a business owner as well so I get it and am patiently waiting. Plus I live in Hawaii so I’m just used to waiting for things for a very loooong time. Keep up the good work. Appreciate you cranking orders out.

The other thing with expanding the business.....

People/workers. Thanks to pandemic and the Gov't extending unemployment benefits and increasing how much they can get isn't helping anything either at times. Please don't take it wrong as I do know of people that truly need the help!

Here is what we are seeing as well as other manufacturers. Why should a person who is laid off and getting an increase in money as well as extending how long they can get the money....if they are basically getting they're paycheck what incentive is it for them to go out and look for a job.

Our daughters boyfriend (whom we have serious issues with) is a classic example. Got fired/laid (don't thing we are getting the whole story) off last November. We've been all over him to go get a job. I even offered a job to him here at work. All he kept saying was I'll be getting unemployment and they are passing another stimulus package. I'm good! So he actually did get a job (worked exactly 1 day and quit) because the next day he got his first unemployment check for $4k and is now getting what was equivalent to his paycheck. Supposedly the unemployment person at the agency told him not to go back to work and he should go back to school!

Not getting people back to work is messing up the whole manufacturing and any place that needs workers. Letting people get a free ride that are able to work and truly don't need the help is hurting everyone!

Every where around here and other parts of the country I see help wanted signs up. Everyone is struggling to hire people. I hear the same thing from other companies regardless of the company/type of industry they are in.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Just remember that if he comes to you for a barrel. What part of the line will he go to? Or will you even sell him a barrel?

It's a rhetorical question and I'm not picking on you.

Thanks for the update and all that you do for the sport and industry.

Just remember that if he comes to you for a barrel. What part of the line will he go to? Or will you even sell him a barrel?

Someone with those traits probably isn’t a shooter..he’s probably a snowflake soyboy

Your welcome on the update!

How does the back of the bus sound? LOL!

Since that guy we've had several people either go off on us or simply hang up! One guy goes.....primers, bullets and now barrels! Then hung up the phone.

Honestly guys.....we're doing what we can!

What I'm worried about....that it's going to be this way for the next few years....that's what I'm worried about.

Later, Frank

Your welcome on the update!

How does the back of the bus sound? LOL!

Since that guy we've had several people either go off on us or simply hang up! One guy goes.....primers, bullets and now barrels! Then hung up the phone.

Honestly guys.....we're doing what we can!

What I'm worried about....that it's going to be this way for the next few years....that's what I'm worried about.

Later, Frank
I would say it’s called planning ahead. A lack of planning on the customers part does not constitute an emergency for the company. :)

I wish this thread would be locked and only @Frank Green green could post.

...He pops in with a update now and then, and we all pray it’s shorter than last time.

Southern precision had 15 or 20 - 29” 7 twist m24 6mm barrels yesterday. I bought 2 and they shipped same day and will be to my house Friday.

click the “notify when in stock” and be patient. Then buy more than you need when available, it’s not hard, stuff is coming out even if it’s slow.

I've got multiple notifications in. When they pop up,I order. It's not that hard. Also I am not in a bind because of planning ahead.
Exactly. Now if Berger’s would come back into stock as well. Need to replenish so I can burn these barrels out

Really glad you guys dived into the carbon fiber barrels. Can't wait to throw one of those bad boys on my 300 win mag. Thanks again for the updates!

Southern precision had 15 or 20 - 29” 7 twist m24 6mm barrels yesterday. I bought 2 and they shipped same day and will be to my house Friday.

click the “notify when in stock” and be patient. Then buy more than you need when available, it’s not hard, stuff is coming out even if it’s slow.
Yea
I picked up another 7mm Heavy Palma from them and it was shipped immediately.
Great source for barrels.

Reactions: hic28
soo whats the story with gain twist barrels i might try one next so by the time current barrel is shot out ill probably have a new bartlein
Just do it. You have nothing to lose and much to gain. You will find that they are more consistent and forgiving between different loads and weights.
Fwiw it’s worth, I bought a 6 creed Lh gain 400MOD in early January. Was quoted 6-8 months. That bad boy is being chambered as we speak. Say what you will, but Bartlein is the best. Hands down.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee