• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein BB steel barrel, wearing one out...

No joke, the wait is 10-12 months direct from Bartlein on a blank. You can find them stocked at a few places depending on when you check, but with gunsmiths backed up it’s never too early to start.

Finally got one of the bbls installed. Love the 1.25" contour!

Chambered and threaded by SPR-BigHoles

Attachments

• PXL_20211108_172856414~2.jpg
    PXL_20211108_172856414~2.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 158
  • PXL_20211108_172834050~3.jpg
    PXL_20211108_172834050~3.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
How well do the carbon colors turn out? I’ve been kicking around getting an 18” or 20” 6.5 PRC for my hunting rifle once the current proof barrel dies and was wondering if the black, green or red would look best. View attachment 7658556

The last proof died at 1100 rounds so I’m hoping the BB400 will at least get me to 2500 rounds to make it worth the switch.

Nice rifle. Like the ARC action.

Was there a conclusion to this test? (so I dont have to look at the 159 posts)

Cliff Notes:

It lasts longer by a fair amount in certain cartridges, machining not substantially different, some vendors have a few in stock, if you order from Bartlein it may be a 10-12 month wait. If you think you want one... order now or buy from a vendor that has in stock.

Was there a conclusion to this test? (so I dont have to look at the 159 posts)
Which tests are you talking about? In random order for the most part....

The very first one tested was done by Hornady in 6.5CM. On a pressure test barrel they usually pull them at about 1700 to 1900 rounds tops. The BB material went 3400+ before they seen a velocity and pressure changes that gave them warning signs. They fired another 100+ thru it after that. So it officially got retired at 3500+ rounds. I have barrel in my possession.

A 6x47 gas gun barrel was tested in PRS by a Socom shooter. Normally he only got 800ish round 1200 tops. He pulled his barrel at over 2300 rounds. He was also the high gas gun shooter with it in the finale of 2020. I have that barrel back and also in my possession. I posted pic's of the bore on the forum. They are currently still shooting a 300 Norma. Last I heard the barrel was well past 2k rounds and still shooting. Normally these are pulled by 1k rounds.

Greg Young at SPR tested a 6mm in 6XC. He retired the barrel at like 3500 rounds +.

Dave Tooley has one in 300WM. It's not toast but Dave says the wear looks better than a standard barrel.

There are barrels in 6BRA etc...in PRS and they have and or 4k+ rounds on them.

Ammo Inc. just started testing 223 pressure test barrels. We made them 10pcs. They have two in service but just started using them. Last week Monday they had 500 rounds on each of the two in service. So it's going to be awhile. We also made them some in 300AAC and 308W.

Olin/Winchester just ordered a 223 and 30-06 accuracy barrels in the new material. We did make them some earlier this year in 308w and 300wm but those shipped back during the summer time. So nowhere near being toast yet.

There are other things still going on and coming up as well.

Later, Frank

Thanks for the rundown Frank! It sounds like the tubes run about double the number of rounds.

The reason I asked is because this thread is titled "Bartlein BB steel barrel, wearing one out"

Soooooo I have a BB barrel chambered in 22xc or wto 22lrv… 600 rounds and it’s SHOT out. The throat has eroded more than .100 and accuracy has fallen off drastically obviously. Not sure what can be done with it.

Well then I should get at least 1200 out of my 22GT barrel whenever it gets done

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG
Currently at almost 1500 on my 22 Dasher on a standard barrel. Ive lost a slight amount of speed but still hammering. Would have thought the BB would be better.

It's tongue in cheek. I expect to see north of 3k on this GT barrel when I get it. Healthy load of 4350 and 85's. My BRA barrel didn't wear hardly at all over 2k rounds this year.

Reactions: DJL2
I have a 6BR BB barrel that is next up but still have 1 std 22 dasher to go. Interested to hear how these do on the 22 speed demons before i buy one.

Reactions: Krob95
should have the barrel by the end of the year. depending on the performance with 85.5's will dictate whether i put 1k rounds on it in a year or 3k rounds on it. ill pop back in with an update when i get some rounds on it.

Reactions: frost1235
It's been almost a year since the last post, I'm sure folks have lots of good things to report back.

Sadly, I haven't even broken in my 7mm RM Mod BB, but when the weather breaks, it's game on.

It's been almost a year since the last post, I'm sure folks have lots of good things to report back.

Sadly, I haven't even broken in my 7mm RM Mod BB, but when the weather breaks, it's game on.
I'm at 3780 rounds after this past weekend with my BR. Still shot a one hole group at 100yrd after cleaning and fouling. Still planning on shooting it all next season. Zero really hasn’t shifted. Velocity is in its usual range but this weekend was cooler so it was slightly slower. Still shooting 105hybrids with Varget. But about to switch to some 108s. Bought two more at the Grind. Sorry that this really doesn't offer much.

Attachments

• IMG_2779.jpeg
    IMG_2779.jpeg
    685.1 KB · Views: 41
I'm at 3780 rounds after this past weekend with my BR. Still shot a one hole group at 100yrd after cleaning and fouling. Still planning on shooting it all next season. Zero really hasn’t shifted. Velocity is in its usual range but this weekend was cooler so it was slightly slower. Still shooting 105hybrids with Varget. But about to switch to some 108s. Bought two more at the Grind. Sorry that this really doesn't offer much.
How many rounds does one of your normal BR barrels last? Thanks.

I have 1800 rounds through my 6cm and many of them were too hot. The barrel sped up around 200 rounds and all my loaded ammo was up around 3150. I slowed it down to 3020fps after I shot all that loaded ammo. I figured the barrel would be trash by now but the barrel still groups great and hasn't lost any speed.

With my last 2 (regular) barrels in 6 Creed, the barrels would speed up for the first ~200 rounds, like Punkur67, then slow down around 1000-1100 rounds. They would then continue to shoot well for another 500-600 rounds or so, and then either slow down more or start to throw fliers. So basically I got about 1500 good rounds out of them. My current barrel started out the same, and is now just under 1500 rounds. It has not slowed down, and is still shooting great. So far so good.

My 6BRA is over 3200. 29.2 H4895 @ 2804 has been very consistent since about 200 rds in. I have crept the seating depth out a few thou here and there, but it still shoots lights out.

My 3-4 other 6BRA were pulled ~ 2400-2500 as they slowed down, tossed a flier here and there.

Very happy with it. Not just longevity, consistency. Practice day and a two day match—zero drama.

ZY

Last edited:
How many rounds does one of your normal BR barrels last? Thanks.
Sorry for the delayed response. This would be my first BR barrel. I switched from a 6CM two seasons ago and I usually avg 2000 rounds/yr. To add to my original post, I also shot a 4 shot group (ragged hole) with an SD of 0. I don't usually get hung up on SDs but I thought it was impressive to have just under 4k rounds on it and it still perform that well. The plan is to shoot this thing until I know for sure it's done.

Not sure if you guys have dug any deeper on the Mod400 BB steel but Erik Cortina did an interview with Frank Green about what it is and how it came about. Start around the 34 minute mark.

In the middle of watching this. @Frank Green could a Walter helitronic type machine help with your cutter sharpening?

Titans of cnc has a grinding academy for how to learn to use one.

Reactions: Frank Green
In the middle of watching this. @Frank Green could a Walter helitronic type machine help with your cutter sharpening?

Titans of cnc has a grinding academy for how to learn to use one.

Don't know. Would have to look into it.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Saw this that shows some of the complexity that the machine can do.

That's cool!

We've actually got a set up for sharpening our gun drills and has a camera mounted to it and magnifies like what is in that video so you can actually see what your doing right at the tip of the tool while grinding. That itself is a really cool tool. Wasn't a cheap tool either.