• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein Carbon Wrapped Barrels

Which heavy sporter are you talking about?

The smallest we are offering in the cfw is our #4 contour. That has a .750" muzzle diameter contour wise.

Later, Frank

Sorry, its a #3. Thanks

Well, I couldn’t resist. I ordered one - supposedly the blank was in stock, ought to have it soon-ish. I’m weeeeeeeeak. I’m also a goober that likes the colors. I think I mistakenly ordered the Varmint contour versus the #4...but, I’m pretty sure that’ll buff. Having the option of so many contours (comparatively) is pretty nice. I was gonna get a steel 3B, slept on it one night, and decided I‘d get CF instead.

Reactions: Frank Green
Well, I couldn’t resist. I ordered one - supposedly the blank was in stock, ought to have it soon-ish. I’m weeeeeeeeak. I’m also a goober that likes the colors. I think I mistakenly ordered the Varmint contour versus the #4...but, I’m pretty sure that’ll buff. Having the option of so many contours (comparatively) is pretty nice. I was gonna get a steel 3B, slept on it one night, and decided I‘d get CF instead.

If they said we had it then we did and whomever you talked to should've pulled it right away.

The #13 Rem. Varmint vs the #4 are different contour wise. Weight isn't that big of a difference.

Thanks for buying one!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: pengilly and DJL2
If they said we had it then we did and whomever you talked to should've pulled it right away.

The #13 Rem. Varmint vs the #4 are different contour wise. Weight isn't that big of a difference.

Thanks for buying one!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Check. I was doing my best to order off the Facebook photos y'all put up. I saw the #13 in the photo, thought "looks like the thinnest," cross referenced to the post that said "Varmint," threw common sense out the window (and ignored #4) and ordered it up that way. I saw "red" was really subtle, looks nice. All said, I'm not gonna sweat 1/10 at the muzzle - the stock it's destined for should handle up to a Varmint contour with no issues.

I'm excited to upgrade a light sporter tube to something that doesn't require me to bring a book with me to the range.

I am in GA Precision’s que, for a sheep rifle build, this is going to be awesome.

Not sure what your asking about 1" or 3/4"? Just on the breech end? The blanks from us come with a 2.75" breech length of steel showing. I would say cutting an extra 1/2" to 1" off the breech should be doable. Probably have to ask what you are chambering it in?
Frank,
I think what XTREM HTR16 and I are wondering is on the blanks that are supposed to "finish @24", could they possible be finished a little shorter? I have my #4 contour being delivered today. I'll be building a 7MM-08 with it, and had wondering how much could be cut off on the muzzle and on the breech also. Like you mention there is 2.75" of steel on the breech end, could that be cut to say 1" of breech? Which might make the overall finish length closer to maybe 23"?? I've usually gone with shorter breech/shank to save a bit of weight on a barrel.

Sorry for all the questions - excited to get my new barrel today!!

Frank,
I think what XTREM HTR16 and I are wondering is on the blanks that are supposed to "finish @24", could they possible be finished a little shorter? I have my #4 contour being delivered today. I'll be building a 7MM-08 with it, and had wondering how much could be cut off on the muzzle and on the breech also. Like you mention there is 2.75" of steel on the breech end, could that be cut to say 1" of breech? Which might make the overall finish length closer to maybe 23"?? I've usually gone with shorter breech/shank to save a bit of weight on a barrel.

Sorry for all the questions - excited to get my new barrel today!!

Attached is a weight sheet. We used 6.5mm for the standard. So a smaller bore and or a larger bore for caliber will change it a little up or down.

OK now I'm understanding the question. On a short action caliber like a 7-08. Taking a little off the breech end shouldn't hurt anything. Just haven't done it/tried it ourselves at this point in time to give you a honest answer.

We make a blank that is 23" and will finish at 22" as well.

Later, Frank

Attachments

• carbon fiber wrapped weights.pdf
    242.2 KB · Views: 692
Reactions: rope
I picked up my Bartlein Wrapped Carbon Fiber Barrel, after being chambered and threaded.

I grabbed a Proof Barrel AI Pre-Fit that matched my barrel pretty darn close and compared the weight

They were much closer when compared this way, pre-chambering the Bartlein was about 1LBS heavier, post chambering it was much closer.

IMG_6996.JPG

Proof Barrel

IMG_0286 2.JPG

Bartlein Barrel

Next is to spin it on and accuracy test

@lowlight

Would you be able to do some performance testing of the Bartlein vs a Proof, such as any differences in heat dissipation, poi changes with longer strings of fire, etc? I'm just curious if there are any practical differences in performance between the two.

No,

My only Proof barrels are completely different, and to be honest the POI Change is Bullshit. I tested the Proof by smoking the hell out of it, like 60 rounds as fast as I can change mags on two different rifles and there is no POI Change, it's Mirage in the scope.

I had one barrel in an MCM A5 and the other with a Handguard covering it, you can see the Mirage boiling up from the barrel. if you shoot long strings over a Heat Sink and have your scope right there with no Mirage Band, it's gonna be all over the place because the Mirage comes off the entire barrel. Like a Suppressor

If a suppressor needs a wrap, a carbon fiber barrel does too after long strings of fire, especailly with a high magnification scope over the top.

Funny if you look at an F Class shooter with a steel barrel, they use Mirage Bands, why not carbon fiber if you are gonna shot strings that long? Google F Class Rifle and see all the mirage bands on steel barrels.

No,

My only Proof barrels are completely different, and to be honest the POI Change is Bullshit. I tested the Proof by smoking the hell out of it, like 60 rounds as fast as I can change mags on two different rifles and there is no POI Change, it's Mirage in the scope.

I had one barrel in an MCM A5 and the other with a Handguard covering it, you can see the Mirage boiling up from the barrel. if you shoot long strings over a Heat Sink and have your scope right there with no Mirage Band, it's gonna be all over the place because the Mirage comes off the entire barrel. Like a Suppressor

If a suppressor needs a wrap, a carbon fiber barrel does too after long strings of fire, especailly with a high magnification scope over the top.

Funny if you look at an F Class shooter with a steel barrel, they use Mirage Bands, why not carbon fiber if you are gonna shot strings that long? Google F Class Rifle and see all the mirage bands on steel barrels.

Yeah I hear you. I know Proof carbon barrels are proven and great performers. I'm sure the Bartleins will be too. I can't wait to read your review. Thanks

No,

What Frank said!

Back in February Jeff and I went to the range to test a 6.5cm barrels. It was 17 degrees out. After about 7-10 rounds thru it and zeroing the scope (7-32x NF) I went to my first target and tried to shoot a 5 shot group. The mirage/heat coming off the barrel was so bad looking thru the scope that I was using the whole 1" paster at a 100 yards. I had to let the gun cool and then slow down my rate of fire and only shoot 3 shot groups.

Next time to the range and it was 47 degrees out but regardless of the temperature out side I put my mirage shield on the rifle (I have several for my F class guns). That stopped the mirage from messing with the sight picture. In the attached picture the mirage shield isn't on the barrel but you can see the velcro dots on the top of the barrel.

Wade Stuteville and George at GAP has done plenty of shooting and accuracy and getting the barrels hot and not a single accuracy complaint. Wades exact words to me where something close to "Every bit as good as our all steel barrels are!"

Funny but my mirage shields (my new ones) are carbon fiber also. Here is a link to a guy that makes them.

[email protected]

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Attachments

• carbon fiber wrapped barrel on rifle2.jpg
    carbon fiber wrapped barrel on rifle2.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 895
What Frank said!

Back in February Jeff and I went to the range to test a 6.5cm barrels. It was 17 degrees out. After about 7-10 rounds thru it and zeroing the scope (7-32x NF) I went to my first target and tried to shoot a 5 shot group. The mirage/heat coming off the barrel was so bad looking thru the scope that I was using the whole 1" paster at a 100 yards. I had to let the gun cool and then slow down my rate of fire and only shoot 3 shot groups.

Next time to the range and it was 47 degrees out but regardless of the temperature out side I put my mirage shield on the rifle (I have several for my F class guns). That stopped the mirage from messing with the sight picture. In the attached picture the mirage shield isn't on the barrel but you can see the velcro dots on the top of the barrel.

Wade Stuteville and George at GAP has done plenty of shooting and accuracy and getting the barrels hot and not a single accuracy complaint. Wades exact words to me where something close to "Every bit as good as our all steel barrels are!"

Funny but my mirage shields (my new ones) are carbon fiber also. Here is a link to a guy that makes them.

[email protected]

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Do they have a website or do we just email them about the mirage shield.

I had a great day out with the CF Bartlein, shot the Prime 6CM and Hornady to test,

Results with the Prime were really impressive, great speeds, superb accuracy.

IMG_6683.JPG

Speeds with 115gr RDF Prime Load

600 yard plates,
IMG_8240.JPG

The barrels kick much ass

This little guy decided to camp out under my rifle during some shots, I looked up and saw a snake on my databook at first I thought Rattle Snake but it wasn't poisonous so I let him hang with me
IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

I actually i have no clue

I handed it to MHSA told Adam to spin it up for my AI and walked away

I have no idea what the twist even is without asking Frank.

I am much more lackadayical than many might imagine for me it either works or not, I normally don't ask for much and let the Smith give the best universal reamer they have so I can run just about anything. I sorta hate barrels cut for a specific bullet.

I honestly don't know, I think it is 24" I know it's 6CM, it's for my AX, and it likes Prime Ammo, beyond that, I don't know much about it,

Though I do have a video shot I need to edit, just busy with podcast interviews today

@lowlight any info of your 6mm Creed CF Bartlein? Twist (right/letf/gain), free bore, length? Thanks,

I’ll double check tomorrow.

It was one of two left over CF barrel from the first batch we made for testing for this go around of making these things. (3rd time testing CF barrels). When Frank and I talked about the CF barrels it was the only thing I could get to him quick that I could lay my hands on.

It’s a right hand twist, and believe it was a 1-7.5 twist and 5R rifling. It was a 27” blank M40 contour.

I’ll look up Lowlights order tomorrow and post an update.

Before anyone gets any ideas in saying we cherry picked one for Lowlight or for magazine articles etc...we don’t do that kind of stuff. What LL got was the same we would make for anyone else or for anyone here in the shop etc...

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

P.S. Nice shooting LL!

Last edited:
I had a great day out with the CF Bartlein, shot the Prime 6CM and Hornady to test,

Results with the Prime were really impressive, great speeds, superb accuracy.

View attachment 7325986
Speeds with 115gr RDF Prime Load

600 yard plates,
View attachment 7325989

The barrels kick much ass

This little guy decided to camp out under my rifle during some shots, I looked up and saw a snake on my databook at first I thought Rattle Snake but it wasn't poisonous so I let him hang with me
View attachment 7325992

View attachment 7325993
Looks like a Bull Snake, used to catch those guys when hiking around Boulder, love those snakes. Were you having mirage issues with the rate of fire you were shooting?

I've got one ordered in .284, M24 contour, headed to GA Precision for my first custom build. Stoked to say the least!

Reactions: MPrimo
I’ll double check tomorrow.

It was one of two left over CF barrel from the first batch we made for testing for this go around of making these things. (3rd time testing CF barrels). When Frank and I talked about the CF barrels it was the only thing I could get to him quick that I could lay my hands on.

It’s a right hand twist, and believe it was a 1-7.5 twist and 5R rifling. It was a 27” blank M40 contour.

I’ll look up Lowlights order tomorrow and post an update.

Before anyone gets any ideas in saying we cherry picked one for Lowlight or for magazine articles etc...we don’t do that kind of stuff. What LL got was the same we would make for anyone else or for anyone here in the shop etc...

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

P.S. Nice shooting LL!

I updated the post...only difference was it was a 27" blank to finish at 26".

The color on LL cf was Red/Brown in color as well instead of the standard black.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

That's enough fps and a big enough pill to make me a 6 CM believer.... not that I wasn't...I've just really resisted getting a 6 of some kind while I've got a perfectly good 6.5 CM barrel with plenty of life.

So you guys wanted some load info and build verification on the CFWs...

I talk to this guy about once a week about various stuff, good builder, good shooter. Said the other ones he had (COUGH) wouldn't shoot or had no consistency..

Check this out:

Great work at Misery Custom Rifles in Bozeman, MT.

Later,
Brady @ Bartlein

Attachments

• 300WSMMISERYCUSTOM.jpg
    300WSMMISERYCUSTOM.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
So you guys wanted some load info and build verification on the CFWs...

I talk to this guy about once a week about various stuff, good builder, good shooter. Said the other ones he had (COUGH) wouldn't shoot or had no consistency..

Check this out:

Great work at Misery Custom Rifles in Bozeman, MT.

Later,
Brady @ Bartlein
Brady what up! You sold me mine. It was the 8.5-7.5 GT in 6mm creedmoor. It came in a week or 2 ago and the smith is spinning it up now. Can't wait.
Will def be reporting back once up and going.

Tanner in Vegas

Brady what up! You sold me mine. It was the 8.5-7.5 GT in 6mm creedmoor. It came in a week or 2 ago and the smith is spinning it up now. Can't wait.
Will def be reporting back once up and going.

Tanner in Vegas

Tanner - Great to hear that it all worked out and you'll have it soon. Please do, we definitely want range reports, these things are coming in hot!!!

🌶🌶:love::love::cool::cool:

Best of Luck!

B

This is perfect timing. I'm building a new rifle and was going to go Proof Research. However, I just ordered a 24" CF Bartlein .264 8t varmint from Southern Precision.....the last one they had in that configuration. The barrel it's replacing is a SS Bartlein in 6 Creedmoor. Can't wait to get it.

Looks good. What barrel channel inlet was done on the stock? I have an EH1 stock coming from Manners which is inletted for a Proof Sendero profile and am wondering if the Bartlein will fit without any modification.

The stock was one that Manners had ready to ship and was inlet for a #6 Gap contour, which is basically a varmint with and extra inch or so of tennon. I imagine you'll be ok.

Reactions: Deadfall
The stock was one that Manners had ready to ship and was inlet for a #6 Gap contour, which is basically a varmint with and extra inch or so of tennon. I imagine you'll be ok.

Thank you!

you mean I can have my barrel wrapped like this car oh happy days lol
1590634637021.png

not even if i was 12 again .

Just ordered a #13 CFW in green carbon fiber, finished length will be 24" with LH GT in 1:9 - 1:8.25 to shoot 175 ELD-X, 180 Hybrids and try 184 Hybrids out of my short action. My first time with left hand twist and gain twist, this will be going on my long range hunter so I'm curious and hopeful that it will shoot well.